Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

More Blood Revival Teasing

Following recent indications from Monolith founder Jace Hall about the possibility of a Blood revival, Jace posted a photo to Facebook to fuel whatever speculation this news generated. The photo shows Jace and original Blood designer Nick Newhard sitting in front of a monitor with the Blood logo. Seeming to misunderstand the word, the caption explains they are discussing "secrets," saying, "Sitting here with OG game designer Nick Newhard discussing secrets.. U do the math. #iLiveAgain — with Kevin Kilstrom, Matt Saettler and Nick Newhard."

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: More Blood Revival Teasing Jul 9, 2016, 23:23 Acleacius

StrickNine wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 20:18:
Ahumado wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 15:56:
The level design was boring and re·pet·i·tive. The best level designs were in Redneck.

what?

you had a carnival, a train, a boat, a friday the 13th inspired campgrounds, a level in a city getting bombed and so much more. The first episode had some bland stuff, but it only got better from there.
Definitely fun, original and very creative level designs. Iirc, that was the first time a train or a boat was used as a level in a FPS. I can only hope the original creators from Q are part of the team. Fingerscrossed

Edit: No more drinking and posting for me! I see at least Nick Newhard is there, yay!

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2016, 00:18.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: More Blood Revival Teasing Jul 9, 2016, 20:18 StrickNine

Ahumado wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 15:56:
The level design was boring and re·pet·i·tive. The best level designs were in Redneck.

what?

you had a carnival, a train, a boat, a friday the 13th inspired campgrounds, a level in a city getting bombed and so much more. The first episode had some bland stuff, but it only got better from there.

21. Re: More Blood Revival Teasing Jul 9, 2016, 19:36 yuastnav

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 19:13:
OK. I've only played vanilla and that was literally 15 years ago when the game came out. I got bored of it rather quickly since I'm not much of a multiplayer gamer and I was way more invested in CS and UT at the time (UT with instagib mod was about as fast as Q3A but IMHO more fun and furious! ). Q3A always seemed a little too simple and one-dimensional compared to CS or UT so I lost interest very quickly.

When you watch some competitive Quake 3 matches you start to realise how insane this game is. It's all about timing, positioning, movement and aiming. You have to know the maps extremely well, you have to constantly anticipate where your enemy is going to be and you need to move around really quickly all the while trying to hit the enemy. Some of the rail shots that the best players can pull of are unreal. Think quick, shoot even quicker.
The maps may be smaller but it's far from simple.

20. Re: More Blood Revival Teasing Jul 9, 2016, 19:13 CJ_Parker

OK. I've only played vanilla and that was literally 15 years ago when the game came out. I got bored of it rather quickly since I'm not much of a multiplayer gamer and I was way more invested in CS and UT at the time (UT with instagib mod was about as fast as Q3A but IMHO more fun and furious! ). Q3A always seemed a little too simple and one-dimensional compared to CS or UT so I lost interest very quickly.  

19. Re: More Blood Revival Teasing Jul 9, 2016, 18:39 yuastnav

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 18:19:
yuastnav wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 17:53:
Of course it doesn't but Quake 3 was the last time I've seen a mainstream fast FPS.

Eh? Serious Sam, dude?

Serious Sam is fast but it's not as quick or fast-paced as Quake 3. This game is incredibly quick, especially when you install some of the mods like CPMA.

18. Re: More Blood Revival Teasing Jul 9, 2016, 18:21 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 16:26:
yuastnav wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 14:02:
Man, that would be awesome.

Although the reason why games like Blood and Quake 3 were so great is because of the respective engine. The movement etc. was just fantastic. Similar thing with Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. The Quake 3 engine is so versatile that you could do stuff like that and why Quake 3 was such an amazing game.

Most games we have today just seem so slow in comparison. The only fast game we have is Warsow but barely anyone plays it.

Movement speed has nothing to do with the engine. It's a conscious design choice. The reason why most modern shooters are slow is because they're designed for gamepads which don't work so well for fast-paced twitch shooters.

^ this

Console peasants can't aim and hit shit when the game is too fast paced.

17. Re: More Blood Revival Teasing Jul 9, 2016, 18:19 CJ_Parker

yuastnav wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 17:53:
Of course it doesn't but Quake 3 was the last time I've seen a mainstream fast FPS.

Eh? Serious Sam, dude?

16. Re: More Blood Revival Teasing Jul 9, 2016, 17:53 yuastnav

Jerykk wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 16:26:

Although the reason why games like Blood and Quake 3 were so great is because of the respective engine. The movement etc. was just fantastic. Similar thing with Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. The Quake 3 engine is so versatile that you could do stuff like that and why Quake 3 was such an amazing game.

Most games we have today just seem so slow in comparison. The only fast game we have is Warsow but barely anyone plays it.

Movement speed has nothing to do with the engine. It's a conscious design choice. The reason why most modern shooters are slow is because they're designed for gamepads which don't work so well for fast-paced twitch shooters.

Of course it doesn't but Quake 3 was the last time I've seen a mainstream fast FPS. Someone COULD try to make an engine where the movement feels good and is quick but no one did. As you've pointed out it's more of a design decision due to very limited controls.

15. Re: More Blood Revival Teasing Jul 9, 2016, 17:46 Ahumado

runnerct32 wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 16:31:
I loved Blood 2

t was good when the mods were added that brought back the guys in capes

14. Re: More Blood Revival Teasing Jul 9, 2016, 17:23 ItBurn

runnerct32 wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 16:31:
I loved Blood 2

I didn't like Blood 2 at the time because it was so different from Blood 1. Also, it had way too advanced textures and models for the time and you needed a beast of a PC to run it. I replayed it years later and I actually enjoyed it. Nowhere near the level of Blood 1 of course.

13. Re: More Blood Revival Teasing Jul 9, 2016, 16:31 runnerct32

I loved Blood 2  

12. Re: More Blood Revival Teasing Jul 9, 2016, 16:26 Jerykk

11. Re: More Blood Revival Teasing Jul 9, 2016, 15:56 Ahumado

10. Re: More Blood Revival Teasing Jul 9, 2016, 15:21 ItBurn

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 15:18:
Hrm, good luck; a well done Blood sequel/revival/reboot etc. would be great!

It's been like 20 years since I played Blood, but I remember mostly being entertained by the weapon choices, the level design doesn't really stick out as particularly strong, etc. I'll try to remember to pick it up on Gog next time it's on sale.

The level design is my favorite part of Blood. It was excellent. The best of all the Build engine games in my opinion.

9. Re: More Blood Revival Teasing Jul 9, 2016, 15:18 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, good luck; a well done Blood sequel/revival/reboot etc. would be great!

It's been like 20 years since I played Blood, but I remember mostly being entertained by the weapon choices, the level design doesn't really stick out as particularly strong, etc. I'll try to remember to pick it up on Gog next time it's on sale.

8. Re: More Blood Revival Teasing Jul 9, 2016, 14:06 Pr()ZaC

I live...again!

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2016, 14:12.

7. Re: More Blood Revival Teasing Jul 9, 2016, 14:02 yuastnav

6. Re: More Blood Revival Teasing Jul 9, 2016, 13:59 ItBurn

In my mind, there's no way they can release something close to the original. Everything was too top notch. The team was killing it and making all the right decisions. Duplicating that requires too many variables to set into place. I'm willing to let them try though. I usually don't like these reboots, but the Blood franchise is dead for real now, so what the hell.  

5. Re: More Blood Revival Teasing Jul 9, 2016, 13:38 Acleacius

Great idea, Human Head could do a Kickstarter! Lighter

It's too damn bad, we can't get Heretic 2 on a digital site like GOG or Steam. At least I haven't been able to find it, yet.

Derp, I should have read my own post and learned, how to cipher like Jethro Bondine. I would have noticed, Blood was only about 2 months away from release, when Monolith bought the rights.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

4. Re: More Blood Revival Teasing Jul 9, 2016, 13:28 Fion

With the success of Doom I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more 'revivals' like this. Blood and its sequel were awesome games, so hopefully the team behind the revival doesn't screw shit up.

Now someone bring on the Heretic or Hexen revival!

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo