Starbound This Month

The Starbound blog announces that Starbound will leave early access on July 22nd, wrapping up Chucklefish's five year mission to create their space game. Here's word:
In case you missed it, Starbound is coming out of Early Access on 22 July, 2016.

After ~5 years, the game we set out to make finally exists, and to say that it all feels a bit surreal would be a massive understatement!

While Starbound will be finished in two weeks, this isn’t the end. We will continue to update and support Starbound for as long as we can. We’ve got loads of cool ideas we couldn’t fit into 1.0 but hope to put into future updates.

Thanks again for all your support over the years! You’ve stuck with us, and it means so much.

Look out for more info over the next couple of weeks!
View : : :
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Starbound This Month
Jul 10, 2016, 06:58
Re: Starbound This Month Jul 10, 2016, 06:58
Jul 10, 2016, 06:58

I bought this game in early access just to support them because I loved the bit I played at a friend's house, but haven't wanted to actually play it until it was fully released, just so I wasn't spoiling things incrementally as it was updated. Looking forward to finally giving this a play-through when it's released!

Jul 9, 2016, 19:11
Re: Starbound This Month Jul 9, 2016, 19:11
Jul 9, 2016, 19:11

Never played it, was going to buy it today but noticed they are doing a character wipe on the 21st. Will buy it then.

Jul 9, 2016, 17:46
Rigs

Re: Starbound This Month Jul 9, 2016, 17:46
Jul 9, 2016, 17:46
 Rigs

The last 'stable' release, in December, overhauled and added quite a bit and changed a number of things. It's a vastly added-to game since the beginning. For a while, it wasn't being updated that much, almost for a year. Scuttlebutt is either the creator lost focus, went bankrupt or was working on the 'backend'. And I can see that it takes a lot of work 'under-the-hood', when things are getting updated that you can't actually 'see'. But for over a year? A lot of people lost faith, thought it was another abandoned EA game, like the rest. But then, BAM! It started being updated with a vengeance. The intro mission has been changed around so many damn times I don't even know what it is anymore. The newer 'unstable/experimental' branch builds are borked in the beginning. You're supposed to wake up on your ship and then 'wake' the ship computer AI. But in these latest builds, you can hit 'E' all you want, that AI ain't waking up. There's a mod that fixes this, apparently, and lets you play the rest of it from there. I haven't tried it yet but it does work from what I've heard.

Anyway, is it worth going back to? HELL YES! There's lots to do! You can set up your own colony on a world while you go out exploring, finishing the quests or just gathering ore/credits and battling mobs. Whatever you want. The galaxy is no longer tiered, as it was before. It's wide open now, except the planets themselves have difficulty ratings that you can see when you select them in the map. Just hit up the STEAM page for it and then read in some of the older news, especially the last 'stable' release in December. That lists everything that was added. You'll be surprised if you haven't played it in a while! Also, don't forget to grab some mods! They add a lot of new content (like GUNS, so many damn guns!) and change the game in unique ways, if that's what you want. There's plenty to choose from...

=-Rigs-=

Jul 9, 2016, 13:38
Re: Starbound This Month Jul 9, 2016, 13:38
Jul 9, 2016, 13:38

Hmm.. I'll wait and see what reviews say. I kinda got bored of the game like a year and a half ago. Has it changed enough to make it interesting again?

Jul 9, 2016, 12:50
Re: Starbound This Month Jul 9, 2016, 12:50
Jul 9, 2016, 12:50

Finally. Took them long enough.

Also by this point I've stopped caring. I have Stardew Valley now.

Jul 9, 2016, 08:16
Re: Starbound This Month Jul 9, 2016, 08:16
Jul 9, 2016, 08:16

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 07:54:
In other words, we are tired of trying to update this game, don't expect many changes in the future.

so if you stay in pre-release for years you get shit on for taking more than 4 years to develop the game.
and then we you do finally release as this case, you still get shit on for that too. (see above)

what is the common theme?

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2016, 08:52.

Jul 9, 2016, 07:54
Re: Starbound This Month Jul 9, 2016, 07:54
Jul 9, 2016, 07:54

In other words, we are tired of trying to update this game, don't expect many changes in the future.

Jul 9, 2016, 03:13
Re: Starbound This Month Jul 9, 2016, 03:13
Jul 9, 2016, 03:13

Hope they extend the single player campaign. I was a very early adopter, I reinstalled to see the progress on the "campaign" about 4 months ago (maybe ~2 years after initial steam release/greenlight?), and was impressed compared to the original from the initial purchase time.

Only thing is I hope they've vastly expanded the number of missions for the final release candidate, because for a crafting style game the missions. The recent ones, not the "originals" from 2 years ago) were a LOT of fun to seek out and finish. Ages different from the original Steam release. Unlike most RPGs each world felt so different, the inhabitants etc... the basic procedure generation felt more advanced than skyrims (though the 2d vs 3d helped give feeling to the 2d world "type" compared to 3d)

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2016, 04:49.
Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

Jul 8, 2016, 20:28
Re: Starbound This Month Jul 8, 2016, 20:28
Jul 8, 2016, 20:28

Oh no! This news can only mean one thing: Hell is freezing over!
Oh god, oh god, we're all gonna die!

Jul 8, 2016, 17:53
Rigs

Re: Starbound This Month Jul 8, 2016, 17:53
Jul 8, 2016, 17:53
 Rigs

Holy shizznit...I didn't think I'd ever see the day...This...this is like Star Citizen announcing they've gone GOLD or Valve announcing Hal-...well, ok, it's not that big...

=-Rigs-=
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older