Elite Dangerous: Arena for Free

Frontier Developments announces that Elite Dangerous: Arena is available for free this weekend, and everyone who downloads a copy from the Frontier Store or Steam between now and 1:00 pm EDT Monday will get to keep it forever. Arena mode is a dogfighting mode shown off in this trailer, and here are more details:
Frontier Developments plc (AIM: FDEV) has made the PC version of Elite Dangerous: Arena free on Steam and FrontierStore.net until 10am PST on Monday July 11.

Elite Dangerous: Arena thrusts players into first-person dogfights against the galaxy’s greatest pilots in the ultimate 34th century gladiatorial contest, featuring:

• ​Four agile, combat-honed space ships. Choose from the fast and aggressive Federal and Imperial Fighters, the damage-dealing Eagle or the heavyweight Sidewinder.
  • Multiple tactical options with custom loadouts unlocked by ranking up.
  • Four Arenas: Elevate’s towering view, Cluster Compound’s mining facility, Asteria Point’s cavernous space station and Ice Field’s frozen asteroid belt.
  • Eight-player Free for All, Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag game modes.
  • Realistic, agile starship handling powered by Elite Dangerous’ advanced simulation technology.

Elite Dangerous: Arena will be completely free on Steam and the Frontier Store this weekend.

Players who download Elite Dangerous: Arena between now and 10am PST on Monday July 11 will receive the game for free, and will retain access to the game permanently. This 100 percent discount will bring a host of Commanders to the CQC Arena. Recruit some new wingmates and launch into CQC combat now!

View : : :
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Elite Dangerous: Arena for Free
Jul 9, 2016, 20:17
Re: Elite Dangerous: Arena for Free Jul 9, 2016, 20:17
Jul 9, 2016, 20:17

Free if you give them your real name and credit card...yeah right....NO

Anyhow I still dont see any reason to leave my long years in EVE Online for this.

And abt lacking ppl in all pvp side of any mmo or mmorpgs or...
Companies should finally understand that the pvp "community" is very vocal but in fact they are like 5 % of the ppl who play a game, unless its a real shooter but thats not an mmo so...

Jul 9, 2016, 15:02
Re: Elite Dangerous: Arena for Free Jul 9, 2016, 15:02
Jul 9, 2016, 15:02

Actually after the last major patch they nerfed smuggling missions (which I did almost solely) to almost extinction along with rares also. Collection missions where you have to go out and find the specific cargo in space have become close to nightmare inducing due to the amount of time you have to spend in the sector looking for the cargo. Also, the toughness of the AI ships has like tripled; diving into a 3 against yourself dogfight is no longer a laughing matter and can easily cost you your ship now if you don't change your tactics or retreat in time. These changes have actually fragmented the player base a bit. Some people, including myself, are to the point of quiting because of all the drastic changes. Just be aware that if you quit this game a while ago and have decided to come back...the game has changed.

Jul 9, 2016, 13:42
Dev

Re: Elite Dangerous: Arena for Free Jul 9, 2016, 13:42
Jul 9, 2016, 13:42
 Dev

Bub wrote on Jul 9, 2016, 08:12:
There are tons of multiplayer combat games on Steam that have comments that the multiplayer has very few players online.
Which is exactly why I almost never buy a game that's multiplayer only.

Jul 9, 2016, 08:12
Bub
Re: Elite Dangerous: Arena for Free Jul 9, 2016, 08:12
Jul 9, 2016, 08:12
Bub

This seems to be a trend now with multiplayer online games. The player pools just are not that big and the companies are so desperate to have them populated, at least to give their paying customers real opponents that they are going free to play combat.

There are tons of multiplayer combat games on Steam that have comments that the multiplayer has very few players online.
==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================

Jul 8, 2016, 13:37
Re: Elite Dangerous: Arena for Free Jul 8, 2016, 13:37
Jul 8, 2016, 13:37

Thanks! Didn't hear about this anywhere else.

Jul 8, 2016, 13:33
Re: Elite Dangerous: Arena for Free Jul 8, 2016, 13:33
Jul 8, 2016, 13:33

I've probably put around 600 hours into Elite which makes it my 3rd most played game on steam. The beginning of the game can be a grind, but that moment you figure out how to make money can be really exciting.

For me, I was grinding for so long in my sidewinder, saving up for a hauler. When I finally got my hauler I had just learned about trading rares. I did two back and forth shieldless missions from Lave to Tauri39 loaded with 20 tons of rates- barely making it through both alive. In those few nerve breaking hours I got enough money to buy a cobra and things just took off from there.

I have not played a lot lately, but I can see getting back into it heavily again. The Engineers release looks really solid, but I have not tried any of those mission yet. I know the group of people that put in over a 1,000 hours can be very vocal about how the game lacks depth and balance, but I don't see it. Whenever I get bored of something in the game I go off and try something new.

Arena is pretty fun, but I suck horribly. I'm not good at combat so I tend to avoid it. All in all, elite has play out amazing well for me since I bought into the alpha.

Jul 8, 2016, 13:19
Re: Elite Dangerous: Arena for Free Jul 8, 2016, 13:19
Jul 8, 2016, 13:19

I think the answer to your question is...it depends. I spent 75 and recently 30 more for Horizons. I personally still love playing this game, and have recently found my way back to it after being away for a while (Thanks Rocket League!). Several of us are coming back after being away for a while... Yes, initially you have to grind to get credits, but you know, I don't mind it. I enjoy trade missions and avoiding interdiction. I'm going to try to beef up my Cobra III and then start doing some fighting. As with anything worth doing, you get out of it what you put into it. This game does not spoon-feed you, and that is part of what I love about it!

If you get bored, just try switching things up. There is mining, fighting, planetary landings (with horizons expansion), piracy, bounty hunting, etc... and try to find some buddies to join up with. It makes it better

Jul 8, 2016, 12:29
Re: Elite Dangerous: Arena for Free Jul 8, 2016, 12:29
Jul 8, 2016, 12:29

Honestly, spent $70 on this game during beta and probably spent, max 8 hours playing. Any reason to return?
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older