Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat?

TorrentFreak has details on a lawsuit filed in California court by Blizzard against a company called Bossland Hacks over sale of a cheat program for Overwatch called Watchover Tyrant. They say the lawsuit is for "various forms of copyright infringement and unfair competition," though there is some confusion, as Bossland Hacks says they have not received this complaint, and are not even sure it's legitimate. If it is, Bossland seems defiant, saying the California court has no jurisdiction over their German company, and claiming to have prevailed in a previous suit over a Heroes of the Storm bot. Thanks Polygon.
View : : :
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat?
Jul 6, 2016, 18:22
Re: Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat? Jul 6, 2016, 18:22
Jul 6, 2016, 18:22

Suppa7 wrote on Jul 6, 2016, 08:54:
DarkCntry wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 23:47:
And I really do enjoy your colorful attempt at totally not understanding the gaming industry, it makes for a great laugh.

There's nothing "colorful" about it, in terms of the laws of nature why should anyone pay for a game who's functionality can be destroyed by the game company? You're a moron if you don't believe the game industry is corrupt and filled with criminals. It all began with MMO's and king gabe infecting games multiplayer code only they control.

How is diablo 3 better than diablo 2 in terms of your rights as a paying customer? AKA diablo 3 can be 'shut off', whereas the multiplayer still functions without internet in diablo 2 to this day.

Yes, the gaming industry is so full of corrupt criminals...........could you throw any more hyperbole to totally create a sentiment that you don't want to have a rational discourse? You're calling me a moron when you've basically just called out a content distribution platform and a specific genre as the entirety of the entire industry...there's a pot over there screaming at you.

Games change, everything changes to suit the needs of both the company and the ever-changing commercial environments, it's not just one industry that adopts it, it's every facet of life.

Progress is a road that has so many different directions, many are bad, others aren't...to lump an entire industry together based upon the largest aspects only goes to show how little you know and how much you just want to shit on it.

Jul 6, 2016, 09:17
Re: Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat? Jul 6, 2016, 09:17
Jul 6, 2016, 09:17

Agreed.

Botting to a high level doesn't take the skill out of a game... it takes the skill out of your hands.

You aren't learning how to play the game, then you are getting thrown into high-level competition without full understanding of the basic skills and nuances that should have been learned to get you there in the first place.

You can have a life full of responsibilities and also not cheat to get ahead in games where your lack of knowledge is now detrimental to everyone trying to play with you.

Jul 6, 2016, 09:11
Re: Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat? Jul 6, 2016, 09:11
Jul 6, 2016, 09:11

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 16:44:
Tachikoma wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 16:35:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 14:18:
Something I understand is Botting for relieving the grind game.

I can`t say I do understand.

If you need bots to "grind" for you then either the game is trash or you`re doing it wrong: shouldn`t the grind be an actual practice to get better at the game?

On the other hand I`m still living with the Quake mindset: games like Destiny where you endlessly chase some loot-carrot and that`s the whole point - instead of honing your skills - are a mystery to me. Why would you do that to yourself?

This is an easy answer. I don't need to better myself at daily quests.

If the game is very fun outside of obvious loot grinds like daily quests, and you're finding daily quests to be an obvious time sink and tedious but you don't want to hinder yourself with them. It's simple to understand that efficiency for enjoyment would be a bot to do them for you. It doesn't take away the "Skill" of the game, just the shit of the game. The bot could even be worse than me at aiming and everything.. I wouldn't care because I would be out mowing my lawn or playing with my kids and then when it's my time to sit and unwind I'm enjoying the labors of my shit bot and playing the actual fun parts of the game.

How is that not easy to understand? Do you not have a life filled with responsibilities?

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you here: Back in the day, a game called Asheron's Call was released, a full pvp server called Darktide was born and man was that game AWESOME. For many years. to this day i count those as some of the best years i've had in gaming and I started pc gaming in like '94 when i was 13 years old playing war1 and war2.
I tend to play competitively so I generally rise to the top through skill and dedication, as it should be.
Asherons Call was then ruined completely by what you describe. the botters ruined the game, so many chars became super high lvl without the actual effort and time to get there. Took me years, took them weeks/months or whatever. Obviously we all quit the game shortly after and now it is but a memory, thanks to the bots "grinding". RIP AC Darktide.

Jul 6, 2016, 08:54
Re: Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat? Jul 6, 2016, 08:54
Jul 6, 2016, 08:54

DarkCntry wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 23:47:
And I really do enjoy your colorful attempt at totally not understanding the gaming industry, it makes for a great laugh.

There's nothing "colorful" about it, in terms of the laws of nature why should anyone pay for a game who's functionality can be destroyed by the game company? You're a moron if you don't believe the game industry is corrupt and filled with criminals. It all began with MMO's and king gabe infecting games multiplayer code only they control.

How is diablo 3 better than diablo 2 in terms of your rights as a paying customer? AKA diablo 3 can be 'shut off', whereas the multiplayer still functions without internet in diablo 2 to this day.

Jul 6, 2016, 08:53
Re: Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat? Jul 6, 2016, 08:53
Jul 6, 2016, 08:53

Suppa7 wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 23:07:
The last 20 years have seen the averager gamer bend over bukkake style and take it in the mouth from corporate criminals that infest videogameland.

They're rarely bent over for bukkake. It's typically a sitting position on the floor.

Jul 5, 2016, 23:47
Re: Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat? Jul 5, 2016, 23:47
Jul 5, 2016, 23:47

Suppa7 wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 23:07:
Cutter wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 12:21:
Rampant cheating does a property harm so the devs should be suing the shit out of anyone who engages in cheating. Make people afraid to do it.

Say what, game companies are scum, if games had multiplayer code include with the game like unreal and quake 3 in the 90's none of this would be a fucking problem since everyone can run their own server. People who want to cheat can cheat to their hearts content. This is videogames we're talking about. The last 20 years have seen the averager gamer bend over bukkake style and take it in the mouth from corporate criminals that infest videogameland. Modern AAA PC game modding has been curtailed from where it used to be because everything is now locked down.

No one in their right mind should want a game who's multiplayer can be disabled by the flip of a server off button.
I think you made a left turn instead of a right turn at the correct topic...

I'm not entirely sure how we've moved from the world of people using cheat scripts to that of server-locked content. If you are somehow trying to say that these cheaters didn't exist "back in the day" then I have no other belief than to think you're a total blind idiot.

Cheaters don't want to play with other cheaters, it doesn't give them the thrill of totally decimating the average user, so no, giving them their own servers ala "the olden days" doesn't make the problem disappear. If you honestly thought that Quake and Unreal didn't have their fair share of cheaters/hackers/etc, then you are either completely naive or just a seriously sad attempt at a troll.

Jul 5, 2016, 23:07
Re: Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat? Jul 5, 2016, 23:07
Jul 5, 2016, 23:07

Cutter wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 12:21:
Rampant cheating does a property harm so the devs should be suing the shit out of anyone who engages in cheating. Make people afraid to do it.

Say what, game companies are scum, if games had multiplayer code include with the game like unreal and quake 3 in the 90's none of this would be a fucking problem since everyone can run their own server. People who want to cheat can cheat to their hearts content. This is videogames we're talking about. The last 20 years have seen the averager gamer bend over bukkake style and take it in the mouth from corporate criminals that infest videogameland. Modern AAA PC game modding has been curtailed from where it used to be because everything is now locked down.

No one in their right mind should want a game who's multiplayer can be disabled by the flip of a server off button.

Jul 5, 2016, 18:33
Re: Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat? Jul 5, 2016, 18:33
Jul 5, 2016, 18:33

Tachikoma wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 17:29:
when it's my time to sit and unwind I'm enjoying the labors of my shit bot and playing the actual fun parts of the game.

How is that not easy to understand? Do you not have a life filled with responsibilities?

There are plenty of games that are not part-shit/part-fun and don`t require such convoluted gymnastics to enjoy. I rather stick to these - you know, since our lifes are oh-so-busy and full of responsibilities, why waste time on half-baked and ultimately dishonest products?
Yeah, lifes too short to cheat at online games.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test. It's a compassion test. It's a decency test. It's a social responsibility test.
Cover Your Eyes for even more protection.

Jul 5, 2016, 18:30
Re: Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat? Jul 5, 2016, 18:30
Jul 5, 2016, 18:30

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 16:10:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 16:07:
Total-Khaos wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 13:37:
Creston wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 13:22:
If it is, Bossland seems defiant, saying the California court has no jurisdiction over their German company

Yeah, that just seems like a waste of money there, Blizzard.

It is just your typical scare / bully tactics. They know they don't have jurisdiction.

I tend to think Blizzards team of liars (lawyers?) might know a little more about law than the average forum user.

The lawsuit starting in California is needed to start the process, the first step is taking down the YouTube videos that advertise the hack and how to use it going through California gets them this. Once they have that it is an easy step to then request the information of any users who uploaded videos of themselves using the hack, yes those exist. Once they have won in California they can then take the matter to German courts and go after the person or their company directly, it is the first step in a multi part process that will hopefully result in the cheat maker being shut down and enough information on their exploit to close it off and any others who may attempt something similar.

Reason for California is Bossland Hacks has parts of it's company now in California. Check out the story on Rock Paper Shotgun.

If parts of a company are now just rented servers, use of domain registars, banks, related networks in your state then it's on.
Blizzard claim that Bossland sell their services to people in the USA and California, use servers and content delivery networks there, contract with banks and domain registrars there, and so on, so the matter falls within the jurisdiction of Blizzard’s home courts.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/07/05/blizzard-lawsuit-overwatch-cheats-bossland/#more-380475
It's an IQ test. It's a compassion test. It's a decency test. It's a social responsibility test.

Jul 5, 2016, 17:29
Re: Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat? Jul 5, 2016, 17:29
Jul 5, 2016, 17:29

when it's my time to sit and unwind I'm enjoying the labors of my shit bot and playing the actual fun parts of the game.

There are plenty of games that are not part-shit/part-fun and don`t require such convoluted gymnastics to enjoy. I rather stick to these - you know, since our lifes are oh-so-busy and full of responsibilities, why waste time on half-baked and ultimately dishonest products?

Jul 5, 2016, 16:44
Re: Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat? Jul 5, 2016, 16:44
Jul 5, 2016, 16:44

Tachikoma wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 16:35:

If you need bots to "grind" for you then either the game is trash or you`re doing it wrong: shouldn`t the grind be an actual practice to get better at the game?

On the other hand I`m still living with the Quake mindset: games like Destiny where you endlessly chase some loot-carrot and that`s the whole point - instead of honing your skills - are a mystery to me. Why would you do that to yourself?

This is an easy answer. I don't need to better myself at daily quests.

If the game is very fun outside of obvious loot grinds like daily quests, and you're finding daily quests to be an obvious time sink and tedious but you don't want to hinder yourself with them. It's simple to understand that efficiency for enjoyment would be a bot to do them for you. It doesn't take away the "Skill" of the game, just the shit of the game. The bot could even be worse than me at aiming and everything.. I wouldn't care because I would be out mowing my lawn or playing with my kids and then when it's my time to sit and unwind I'm enjoying the labors of my shit bot and playing the actual fun parts of the game.

Jul 5, 2016, 16:35
Re: Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat? Jul 5, 2016, 16:35
Jul 5, 2016, 16:35

Jul 5, 2016, 16:10
Re: Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat? Jul 5, 2016, 16:10

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 16:07:
If it is, Bossland seems defiant, saying the California court has no jurisdiction over their German company

It is just your typical scare / bully tactics. They know they don't have jurisdiction.

I tend to think Blizzards team of liars (lawyers?) might know a little more about law than the average forum user.

The lawsuit starting in California is needed to start the process, the first step is taking down the YouTube videos that advertise the hack and how to use it going through California gets them this. Once they have that it is an easy step to then request the information of any users who uploaded videos of themselves using the hack, yes those exist. Once they have won in California they can then take the matter to German courts and go after the person or their company directly, it is the first step in a multi part process that will hopefully result in the cheat maker being shut down and enough information on their exploit to close it off and any others who may attempt something similar.

Reason for California is Bossland Hacks has parts of it's company now in California. Check out the story on Rock Paper Shotgun.
Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

Darks

Re: Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat? Jul 5, 2016, 16:10
 Darks

But I've never understood full on cheating like Autoaim and such.. I don't see how people enjoy it. It must be a griefer thing.

^ This!!

And this is why I dont play PVP anymore. I stick to Coop. To me thats a much more fun thing to do when playing with friends.
Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Jul 5, 2016, 16:07
Re: Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat? Jul 5, 2016, 16:07
Jul 5, 2016, 16:07

Jul 5, 2016, 16:00
Re: Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat? Jul 5, 2016, 16:00
Jul 5, 2016, 16:00

One other thing that some may not know, Blizzard has been fighting Bossland in court for over a year now due to their other bots. I wouldn't be surprised if some of that played into them suing them over the cheat for OW too. There are other cheat sites that have hacks for OW and they haven't been sued yet that anyone has said.

Jul 5, 2016, 14:52
Re: Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat? Jul 5, 2016, 14:52
Jul 5, 2016, 14:52

But I've never understood full on cheating like Autoaim and such.. I don't see how people enjoy it. It must be a griefer thing.

Agreed on the cheating confusion...

When asked if I cheat, my response is simple... I like to win too much to cheat... Which is backwards to many people with the 'at any cost' to win mentality... For me, cheating invalidates a win, and again, I like to win : )

Jul 5, 2016, 14:18
Re: Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat? Jul 5, 2016, 14:18
Jul 5, 2016, 14:18

Jul 5, 2016, 13:37
Re: Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat? Jul 5, 2016, 13:37
Jul 5, 2016, 13:37

Jul 5, 2016, 13:22
Re: Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat? Jul 5, 2016, 13:22
Jul 5, 2016, 13:22

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older