Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Josh Mosqueira Leaves Blizzard

Josh Mosqueira has left Blizzard Entertainment, where he most recently served as game director for Diablo III, receiving a lot of credit from fans for spearheading the effort to rescue the action/RPG sequel from some of its initial design decisions. This news actually came alongside of the recent revelation that a new Diablo game is likely in the works, where Mosqueira confirmed the news for Polygon (thanks Cram). He also offers a brief farewell on Twitter, "Thanks to an amazing team and community! Forever #diablo."

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Josh Mosqueira Leaves Blizzard Jul 4, 2016, 14:29 Verno

Tachikoma wrote on Jul 3, 2016, 14:49:
Well, like I said, RLs require a change of mindset and a new approach, otherwise you`ll think something along the lines of that wildly inaccurate statements above. I know, because I used to dismiss roguelikes too, though for different reasons.

I find most of your comments to make little sense and this one is no improvement. You don't play Diablo for a rogue like the same way you don't load up a sports game expecting your JRPG fix. You're making a apples to oranges comparison and then somehow trying to conflate people disagreeing with a lack of understanding. People understand roguelikes just fine, they aren't some unknown phenomenon that requires intellectual rumination. They sometimes just don't like them for the same reason some people don't like Diablo.

Playing: Subnautica, Total War: Three Kingdoms, Spider-Man
Watching: 30 Rock, Good Omens, Peep Show
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Josh Mosqueira Leaves Blizzard Jul 4, 2016, 13:04 nin

007Bistromath wrote on Jul 4, 2016, 06:46:
Well, like I said, RLs require a change of mindset and a new approach, otherwise you`ll think something along the lines of that wildly inaccurate statements above.
There was nothing inaccurate about it. Your statement is equivalent to saying that in order to appreciate traditional roguelikes, most people need to retrain themselves to find different things interesting. If you're capable of doing that, you should take up needlepoint or some other craft instead. Then you have the bonus of being able to sell some junk on etsy.

Considering you keep armor, skills, etc, diablo has nothing to do with rogues. Don't know why he would even connect the two, unless he never played the diablo series.

26. Re: Josh Mosqueira Leaves Blizzard Jul 4, 2016, 06:46 007Bistromath

Well, like I said, RLs require a change of mindset and a new approach, otherwise you`ll think something along the lines of that wildly inaccurate statements above.
There was nothing inaccurate about it. Your statement is equivalent to saying that in order to appreciate traditional roguelikes, most people need to retrain themselves to find different things interesting. If you're capable of doing that, you should take up needlepoint or some other craft instead. Then you have the bonus of being able to sell some junk on etsy.

25. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 4, 2016, 03:28 shiho

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jul 4, 2016, 02:54:
shihonage wrote on Jul 3, 2016, 23:32:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jul 3, 2016, 19:33:
words

Off-topic: SMA, you left the Codex?

Yup. Someone pissed me off last October/November-ish, which prompted some "why do I still visit this site when it only ever causes aggravation?"-type reflection, which in turn prompted me to send DU a message asking for a self-ban. Aside from reading through the "Why is SMA banned?" thread that popped up a few weeks later, I haven't been back.

Thanks for explaining. I quit countless forums for similar reasons

24. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 4, 2016, 02:54 Scottish Martial Arts

shihonage wrote on Jul 3, 2016, 23:32:
words

Yup. Someone pissed me off last October/November-ish, which prompted some "why do I still visit this site when it only ever causes aggravation?"-type reflection, which in turn prompted me to send DU a message asking for a self-ban. Aside from reading through the "Why is SMA banned?" thread that popped up a few weeks later, I haven't been back.

23. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2016, 23:32 shiho

words

22. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2016, 22:55 MattyC

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jul 3, 2016, 20:35:
It's a big company, but it's also a pretty conservative one. Overwatch is their first genuinely new IP since 1998 after all.

I know the characters / cards are old, but I would consider WoW, Heroes of the Storm and Hearthstone to be new IP. The first added tons of new outside content, but more importantly all 3 were new games. Just seems odd to imply they have been 'pulling a Madden' or something for almost 20 years.

21. Re: Josh Mosqueira Leaves Blizzard Jul 3, 2016, 21:43 nin

Wetworks wrote on Jul 3, 2016, 20:40:
Blizz has already put up job postings for a new Diablo,

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/07/blizzard-job-posting-outs-plans-for-new-diablo-game/

A brand-new "unannounced" entry in the Diablo world was, er, announced on Friday by way of an official job posting for—get this—the next entry's director. It's the game-news equivalent of New Line Cinema saying a new Lord of the Rings film is coming but, whoops, Peter Jackson's not involved, and they could really use a new person to get this thing up and running.

The post seeks someone to "lead the Diablo series into the future." While such a public push for a series director might read like an attempt to bring more diversity into the hiring pool, we'd frankly be shocked to see anybody other than the industry's old-guard vets fulfilling application requirements such as five years of game-directing experience and shipping "multiple AAA products as a game director or creative director." The job posting mentions nothing about virtual reality or other experimental hardware.

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/172831/new-diablo-plans-revealed

20. Re: Josh Mosqueira Leaves Blizzard Jul 3, 2016, 20:40 Wetworks

Blizz has already put up job postings for a new Diablo,

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/07/blizzard-job-posting-outs-plans-for-new-diablo-game/

A brand-new "unannounced" entry in the Diablo world was, er, announced on Friday by way of an official job posting for—get this—the next entry's director. It's the game-news equivalent of New Line Cinema saying a new Lord of the Rings film is coming but, whoops, Peter Jackson's not involved, and they could really use a new person to get this thing up and running.

The post seeks someone to "lead the Diablo series into the future." While such a public push for a series director might read like an attempt to bring more diversity into the hiring pool, we'd frankly be shocked to see anybody other than the industry's old-guard vets fulfilling application requirements such as five years of game-directing experience and shipping "multiple AAA products as a game director or creative director." The job posting mentions nothing about virtual reality or other experimental hardware.

19. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2016, 20:35 Scottish Martial Arts

It's a big company, but it's also a pretty conservative one. Overwatch is their first genuinely new IP since 1998 after all. It seems entirely reasonable to me that more senior employees could reach the end of a project and conclude that the projects they're most interested in and which can most grow their career might be at other companies.

I'm not privy to what goes on inside Blizzard, but seen purely from the outside, a handful of leads moving on as development winds down on a major project seems pretty normal to me. The end of a project is certainly when I return recruiter emails and assess whether my career is best served by another ~18 months at the same company. :-shrug-:

18. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2016, 20:00 The Half Elf

Yeah so D3 might be done (or have shitloads of grinding season's ahead of it), but as other's have said Blizzard is pretty large, so why leave the company?
I'm not trying to be argumentative, just more of if there were other projects going on why not move to those projects, or the other projects being worked on aren't that good to want to stick around at Blizzard? That's my concern.
They salvaged enough out of Titan to make Overwatch, D3 is pretty much done, as is Starcraft 2, and WoW has another expansion on the horizon... so were there other projects to work on or at they going into a "maintenance phase" with HotS, Hearthstone and Overwatch and not creating any new projects?

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

17. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2016, 19:33 Scottish Martial Arts

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 3, 2016, 17:43:
But when all your top talent leaves (especially the guy who 'fixed' Diablo 3) it's not a good thing.

Not really. Diablo 3 is done at this point. If "all the top talent" left after a disastrous E3 demo with a solid year to go before launch, then yes, that would be indicative of a deeply troubled production. When you're two years after the last product launch and wrapping up the last of post launch development and support however, it is entirely appropriate for people to consider what they want to work on next. Having a half dozen people transfer teams or move on to a new position in a new company at this stage of Diablo 3 development/support is entirely normal. Amazingly, people don't want to work forever on the exact same thing.

16. Re: Josh Mosqueira Leaves Blizzard Jul 3, 2016, 18:49 Sempai

Can I just get a new MMO that isn't from fucking Asia?

I haven't had a decent addiction in years.. And since we're clearly not getting anything new like Titan was, how about just a safe and sound WoW 2?

Cmon, Bliz!

15. Re: Josh Mosqueira Leaves Blizzard Jul 3, 2016, 18:15 NKD

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 3, 2016, 17:43:

Yeah it's not 'everyone' (congrats on being anal retentive), but when your top people are leaving it does NOT bode well. But when all your top talent leaves (especially the guy who 'fixed' Diablo 3) it's not a good thing.

You say it's not good, but it's not necessarily bad either. It just is. Blizzard's been around a while, and has had a lot of top guys move on to other things, only to be replaced by other guys.

I don't really see this as any kind of portent, except a portent that Diablo 3 is done. The game is winding down development and they are starting another project. That's exactly the time you expect to see a lot of routine staff turnover.

Is it really a sign of doom that someone who's been working on Diablo for 5-10 years might not want to work on it for another 5-10?

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

14. Re: Josh Mosqueira Leaves Blizzard Jul 3, 2016, 17:43 The Half Elf

Kajetan wrote on Jul 3, 2016, 16:15:
The Half Elf wrote on Jul 3, 2016, 14:53:
"Though Mosqueira’s departure is the most high profile, he joins writers Brian Kindregan and Leonard Boyarsky and designers John Yang and Don Vu who have also left."
5 People, heck, let it be 20 people in the last few months. Considering how big Blizzard is and how attractive Blizzard still is for luring in new talent ... i dont think that "everyone" is jumping ship and that Blizzard therefore is in some kind of trouble. Its just the normal flux of people changing jobs.

Yeah it's not 'everyone' (congrats on being anal retentive), but when your top people are leaving it does NOT bode well. But when all your top talent leaves (especially the guy who 'fixed' Diablo 3) it's not a good thing.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

13. Re: Josh Mosqueira Leaves Blizzard Jul 3, 2016, 16:35 Cutter

Blizzard is entirely formulaic now, so you could see where senior designers would want to move on and stretch their proverbial wings so to speak.

"Well, what do you believe in, Wade? I'm guessing shotguns and big titties." - Max

12. Re: Josh Mosqueira Leaves Blizzard Jul 3, 2016, 16:15 Kajetan

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 3, 2016, 14:53:
"Though Mosqueira’s departure is the most high profile, he joins writers Brian Kindregan and Leonard Boyarsky and designers John Yang and Don Vu who have also left."
5 People, heck, let it be 20 people in the last few months. Considering how big Blizzard is and how attractive Blizzard still is for luring in new talent ... i dont think that "everyone" is jumping ship and that Blizzard therefore is in some kind of trouble. Its just the normal flux of people changing jobs.

11. Re: Josh Mosqueira Leaves Blizzard Jul 3, 2016, 14:55 Tachikoma

Crap. Can`t delete my own post?  

10. Re: Josh Mosqueira Leaves Blizzard Jul 3, 2016, 14:53 The Half Elf

Kajetan wrote on Jul 3, 2016, 12:16:
The Half Elf wrote on Jul 3, 2016, 11:45:
Not boding well for Blizzard/Diablo when everyone is jumping ship.
So, one man is "everyone"?

9. Re: Josh Mosqueira Leaves Blizzard Jul 3, 2016, 14:49 Tachikoma

007Bistromath wrote on Jul 3, 2016, 14:15:
The vast majority of roguelikes are unbearably tedious. The depth is a really good tease, but it's only ever that unless you're willing to sink several weeks' worth of playtime into doing nothing remotely interesting.

Well, like I said, RLs require a change of mindset and a new approach, otherwise you`ll think something along the lines of that wildly inaccurate statements above. I know, because I used to dismiss roguelikes too, though for different reasons.

As it is, for example, I played Linley`s Dungon Crawl nearly every day for the last three years, farthest I got was slightly halfway through, died thousands of times - and yet I cant` wait to play it again.

Anyway, I`m not on a crusade, it`s just a thought to consider. Maybe one day some of you will get bored of maining Necromancers too (ie: going to extreme lengths to get some semblance of depth out of otherwise shallow game) - I strongly advise jumping in the RL world, where every move counts and tension is sometimes unbearable (and supremely addictive). But, try to do it without "received wisdom" prejudices, otherwise you`ll end up disappointed like your man 007 here.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo