Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

ELEX Details; Trailer

Nordic Games offers some new details on ELEX, the post-apocalyptic RPG in the works at Gothic developer Piranha Bytes. They now say to expect this foe Windows, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 in the first quarter of next year, and offer a "mood" video to, you know, get you in the mood. Here's a new outline of what to expect from this game, and how it will pit brother against sister, up versus down, and Coke versus Pepsi:

The Story
Magalan, the completely open game world of ELEX, was home to a highly developed civilisation until a catastrophic meteor strike devastated the planet, reducing it to a post-apocalyptic world. The meteor also deposited a substance that is now found in nearly everything: Elex, and each faction uses it in a different way. Every inhabitant of the world is constantly looking for Elex, whether as a substance with magical powers, to use in a weapon or as a pure stimulant.

A Game of Contrasts
ELEX is all about contrasts: science vs fantasy, magic vs laser weapons and logic vs emotions. In ELEX, Piranha Bytes combines all the game elements that RPG fans love and has placed them in an entirely new environment: a science-fantasy setting. These contrasts are also evident in the various factions.

Use of Elex
While one faction, the Albs, consider the ingestion of Elex as part of their cult, the Clerics group ban the consumption of Elex on religious grounds, and use it to build their high-tech weapons. The Berserkers however, a people who live in harmony with nature, process Elex into mana and use it to craft magical weapons. As for the Bandits, their society has no fixed rules, but they live by the credo: “Take anything you can grab, or someone else will.”

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: ELEX Details; Trailer Jul 6, 2016, 23:29 Jerykk

Seems like every PB game has a raptor-like monster in it. I loved Gothic 1 & 2 and enjoyed the Risen games well enough so I'll give this a look, but I'm not finding the setting very interesting thus far.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: ELEX Details; Trailer Jul 2, 2016, 11:47 yuastnav

Eh, Gothic is my favourite game of all time so I'll keep an eye on this.  

7. Re: ELEX Details; Trailer Jul 1, 2016, 22:50 Cutter

Creston wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 14:17:
After Gothic 2 it's been a rapid slide downhill for these guys. I want to be excited about this, but I think I'm going to just do what I now typically do with their games, which is just forget they exist.

Zackly. Gothic is still one of my all time faves. This reminds me of it - well post-apoc Gothic at any rate. Maybe they'll get lucky. Enh, it sure won't be a day one purchase, if at all, that's for sure.

“I have written the only diet book that I believe needs to exist, and here it is: CHAPTER ONE: Eat a bit less. CHAPTER TWO: Move about a bit more. THE END.” - Miranda Hart

6. Re: ELEX Details; Trailer Jul 1, 2016, 15:48 verybad1

Watched the trailer, and the thing that completely turned me off of this was that giant robot jumping in the air and the whole view losing it's form of weight. It just went to anime style in a pseudo plausible, semi dark, post-apocalyptic world, and I was like.

Nope, Ain't gonna get any of my hard earned money on that.

The thing just had no sense of weight, and it lost all interest right there.

5. Re: ELEX Details; Trailer Jul 1, 2016, 15:01 CJ_Parker

Tachikoma wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 14:48:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 12:11:
Too much ripping and copying and too little creativity for my taste.

Eh, it`s possible to level this accusation just at about anything out there: everybody is influenced by something.

That's right. Influenced. Not straight copy & paste and then weirdly mangled into something "new". Look at the Elex artwork and stuff that has been released so far. One deja vu after another. Fallout, Skyrim, Mass Effect, SWTOR are instant associations. There is very little original material anywhere in there.
They are playing it way too safe and might gain nothing from it because everyone can see how derivative it is. This game would have desperately needed a creative director with MOAR BALLZ.

4. Re: ELEX Details; Trailer Jul 1, 2016, 14:48 Tachikoma

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 12:11:
Too much ripping and copying and too little creativity for my taste.

Eh, it`s possible to level this accusation just at about anything out there: everybody is influenced by something.

The problem with their recent games is just lack of soul: I bought R2 hoping for some solid ol`skool cRPG but it was ever so tepid.

Combine this with inexcusable bugs and bad design decisions and I just couldn`t be bothered. Gothics had similar problems but at least there was some passion.

3. Re: ELEX Details; Trailer Jul 1, 2016, 14:17 Creston

After Gothic 2 it's been a rapid slide downhill for these guys. I want to be excited about this, but I think I'm going to just do what I now typically do with their games, which is just forget they exist.

2. Re: ELEX Details; Trailer Jul 1, 2016, 12:11 CJ_Parker

Cpmartins wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 11:53:
GothicII>Gothic>Risen>GothicIII>RisenII>RisenIII

Shitbull!

Gothic>GothicII>GothicIII+CP1.75>Risen>RisenIII>RisenII

^ The only true and correct order.

Re Elex, yeah, no. Shit doesn't really appeal to me either. It's extremely derivative of a wide range of SciFi, postapoc and fantasy stuff. Some fantasy, some Skyrim, some Gothic, then SciFi with stuff that could be straight from Mass Effect, Star Wars, Mech Warrior and the Equilibrium movie (PB has admitted it was a source of inspiration) and some postapoc stuff that is plain as day ripped from Fallout and Mad Max (the desert dwelling Outlaws faction is like a carbon copy).

Too much ripping and copying and too little creativity for my taste. It boggles the mind why they crammed all of this shit into a single game?? They obviously wanted to do something different than fantasy for a change. Well, great. Then ditch fantasy altogether and don't half-ass it like this. They clearly need MOAR BALLZ.

Oh well. Unless this gets ripped to shreds in reviews, it might still be a candidate to pick up at $4.99 on sale for the GOTY.

1. Re: ELEX Details; Trailer Jul 1, 2016, 11:53 Cpmartins

I wish I was excited by this, but after the Mehrathon that was Risen 3...
How far have the mighty fallen. Hope can only get me so far.
GothicII>Gothic>Risen>GothicIII>RisenII>RisenIII

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo