System Shock Kickstarter and Demo

GOG.com has word that the Kickstarter campaign for Nightdive Studios' System Shock remake is now live, supported by a playable demo with a sample of what they've got planned. Here's a pre-alpha trailer, and here's word:
Play the Demo, then head to Kickstarter and support the re-imagined version of the seminal sci-fi thriller.

A little over two decades ago, a first person action/RPG dared to blend diverse gameplay elements with narrative-driven 3D exploration in a sci-fi horror setting. System Shock soon became a timeless classic, its haunting charm still resonating with thousands of people to this day. Now, Night Dive Studios wants to bring it back as a new, faithfully re-imagined game and you can help them fulfil that promise by supporting their Kickstarter campaign.

System Shock is a complete remake of the genre-defining classic from 1994, rebuilt from the ground up with the Unity Engine and coming day one to GOG.com. The best part? You don't have to believe the enthusiastic rumours circulating around cyberspace, you can try out a Demo of this ambitious effort right now and see for yourself! "We want to demonstrate our commitment and passion for System Shock by providing a fun and exciting experience to potential backers", said Night Dive. "This demo represents the look and feel that we want to achieve with the final version we'll deliver to you, our backers. Please be aware, this is a proof of concept; the performance, features, and visuals are subject to change."

Grab the Demo and enter the derelict halls of Citadel Station crawling with the horrors unleashed by SHODAN, the maniacal A.I. with her own plans for the future of humanity. If this is a future you want to live in, make sure to head over to the System Shock Kickstarter page and help make it a reality.

Don't even try to resist her, SHE IS IN CONTROL.

View : : :
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Played it briefly!
Jul 5, 2016, 22:48
Ant

Played it briefly! Jul 5, 2016, 22:48
Jul 5, 2016, 22:48
 Ant

Just tried Kickstarter demo's System Shock 1 on my retiring work's W7 lappy. Haha. It was beautiful even though super choppy and almost unplayable. I like what I saw from it so far. So much better than the original DOS version with its awful controls. They better make a Linux port!
Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

Re: System Shock Kickstarter and Demo
Jun 29, 2016, 16:43
Re: System Shock Kickstarter and Demo Jun 29, 2016, 16:43
Jun 29, 2016, 16:43

Tachikoma wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 15:56:
Overall, I don`t really mind "them" making sequels - can`t stop that and maybe some will turn out okay. But "reboot"? It`s just so unneeded. There`s no way a bunch of hacks like Nightdive can improve on original System Shock. Nobody can. So, make a decent remake and leave the new SS to people who know what they are doing, aka Otherside.

Initially it seemed like a great idea, because Nightdive has the source code for System Shock. But since the "reboot" is using Unity engine, I am not sure they will actually be using any systems as they were coded by Looking Glass.

Part of the game balance was the movement and attack speed of everything. And they have to replicate the internal RPG systems properly.

With the source and painstaking attention, it should be still possible, but indeed I don't think Nightdive is a "painstaking attention" kind of company.

Looking Glass made several great games. Because they had talent.

Jun 29, 2016, 15:56
Re: System Shock Kickstarter and Demo Jun 29, 2016, 15:56
Jun 29, 2016, 15:56

LurkerLito wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 09:01:
It wasn't GoG that did that it was the current IP holder.

Okay then, dick move by current IP holders.

@Jerykk : My "fear of reboots" is based on multiple examples like DmC, Syndicate, THE THIEF ABOMINATION and others. Even XCOM is kind of questionable (still haven`t made my mind up `bout this one).

Overall, I don`t really mind "them" making sequels - can`t stop that and maybe some will turn out okay. But "reboot"? It`s just so unneeded. There`s no way a bunch of hacks like Nightdive can improve on original System Shock. Nobody can. So, make a decent remake and leave the new SS to people who know what they are doing, aka Otherside.

Re: MIA Romero demo kickstarter fail
Jun 29, 2016, 14:49
Beamer

Re: MIA Romero demo kickstarter fail Jun 29, 2016, 14:49
Jun 29, 2016, 14:49
 Beamer

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 13:08:
Whatever happened to that John Romero demo, lolz.

They went to KS with only concept development done. That was end of April. Not sure how you want them to go from concept to working demo in 2 months. The game had a Winter 2018 release date, meaning they planned to take 2.5 years to work on it, and you want a demo in 2 months.

They were dumb going to KS that quickly. But faulting them for not having a demo so quickly seems really misplaced.

Jun 29, 2016, 13:42
nin

Re: System Shock Kickstarter and Demo Jun 29, 2016, 13:42
Jun 29, 2016, 13:42
 nin

sauron wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 12:49:
Already up to $450,000 which is halfway to their goal. And they only opened the Kickstarter yesterday.

Looks nailed on to be funded.

Hope the momentum continues...

MIA Romero demo kickstarter fail
Jun 29, 2016, 13:08
MIA Romero demo kickstarter fail Jun 29, 2016, 13:08
Jun 29, 2016, 13:08

Whatever happened to that John Romero demo, lolz.
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

Jun 29, 2016, 12:49
Re: System Shock Kickstarter and Demo Jun 29, 2016, 12:49
Jun 29, 2016, 12:49

Already up to $450,000 which is halfway to their goal. And they only opened the Kickstarter yesterday.

Looks nailed on to be funded.
Kittens!

Jun 29, 2016, 12:04
Re: System Shock Kickstarter and Demo Jun 29, 2016, 12:04
Jun 29, 2016, 12:04

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 09:25:
LULZ

I just noticed that they are also making an Xbox version...

Agree on your overall sentiment.

Even the slightest bit of console design tends to ruin a true PC game experience.

Jun 29, 2016, 10:27
Re: System Shock Kickstarter and Demo Jun 29, 2016, 10:27
Jun 29, 2016, 10:27

Jerykk wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 22:47:
The real solution is to make faster, stronger and smarter enemies.

No. It is not.

Jun 29, 2016, 09:30
nin

Re: System Shock Kickstarter and Demo Jun 29, 2016, 09:30
Jun 29, 2016, 09:30
 nin

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 09:25:
Well, even if I were not done with crowdfunding that kills it entirely right there.

Super! Go play in traffic!

Jun 29, 2016, 09:25
Re: System Shock Kickstarter and Demo Jun 29, 2016, 09:25
Jun 29, 2016, 09:25

LULZ

I just noticed that they are also making a Shitbox version and you are effectively asked to back the development of PC and Shitbox???

Wideeyed Rubeyes Wideeyed Rubeyes Wideeyed

Well, even if I were not done with crowdfunding that kills it entirely right there. Are they retarded? Why would I help fund the digging of my own grave?

LOOOOOOOOL.

A Shitbox version.

Too funny...

Protest

Jun 29, 2016, 09:01
Re: System Shock Kickstarter and Demo Jun 29, 2016, 09:01
Jun 29, 2016, 09:01

Tachikoma wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 02:30:
Also it will be interesting to see if GOG will pull their recently-standard dick move upon release and force this remake-reboot as the only System Shock available to buy. Just like they did with Baldur`s Gate (and others?)
It wasn't GoG that did that it was the current IP holder. They kind of noticed that Baldur's Gate (the original one available from GoG) was playable on android devices with the free DOSEMU package for Android. That was the reason they made GoG stop selling it and made the "enhanced" version the only one they could sell. They did it to make sure you had to buy it twice to get a PC and Android version.

Jun 29, 2016, 07:50
PHJF

Re: System Shock Kickstarter and Demo Jun 29, 2016, 07:50
Jun 29, 2016, 07:50
 PHJF

We didn't need another one of those. It adds absolutely nothing. But what it definitely does, is muddy the legacy of a franchise.

It makes money for Bethesda.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Jun 29, 2016, 07:10
Re: System Shock Kickstarter and Demo Jun 29, 2016, 07:10
Jun 29, 2016, 07:10

Also it will be interesting to see if GOG will pull their recently-standard dick move upon release and force this remake-reboot as the only System Shock available to buy. Just like they did with Baldur`s Gate (and others?)

That was an incredibly dick move, though I'm not sure the blame falls onto GOG. They can only put things on the site they're licensed to, so the blame likely lies with the people/companies behind the games tired of watching the old games sell for cheap while their new overprice stuff rots away.

There are many, good, reasons to give GOG a hard time, though I'm not sure if this is their fault.

Still having said that, personally I would much rather GOG said take it or leave it, refusing to bundle/block sale of the classic only, telling them to pack their stuff and leave if that's the only alternative they're giving. Something they could have done.

Then again I'm not a company, and GOG is ever increasingly acting more like a typical company.

Jun 29, 2016, 06:50
Re: System Shock Kickstarter and Demo Jun 29, 2016, 06:50
Jun 29, 2016, 06:50

nin wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 18:53:
Tried the demo - looks good, but cranks the fuck out of my fan, for some reason...

alpha!

Have you tried/checked that v-sync is on and working, might help.

Then again, Unity Engine, sounds like it's still doing its crap of going at 100% no matter what it's displaying.

It's the one thing that bugs the hell out of me about Unity and a bunch of games using it have had this problem. One would think lowering settings would help but nope, it just end up feeling like a car with the accelerator flat even when the clutch is also flat.

If this is still the case with Unity it's quite shameful.

-----

Darks wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 21:04:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 19:03:
After many disappointments I'm done with crowdfunding so fuck the Kickstarter but kudos and gracias for the free demo. Gonna check that fucker out right now.

CJ, I can assure you that backing this game is a sure bet.

I haven't been following this that closely, other than stumbling over some news (and mostly just looking at the screenshots lol). Though they do seem to have their stuff together. Also having a playable demo speaks a lot about the state of their progress and dedication, as it would for any game kickstarter.

I can't think of a better way to see if one wants to support a project other than playing the demo oneself and see how things are going, especially to see if something in going in the direction you're expecting or wanting.

--------

Razumen wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 23:37:
and difficulty shouldn't come from fighting with the controls.

Unless it's one of those Japanese games lol. Then fighting the controls, the camera/view and the game itself is most of the challenge.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2016, 07:01.

Jun 29, 2016, 05:51
Re: System Shock Kickstarter and Demo Jun 29, 2016, 05:51
Jun 29, 2016, 05:51

Finally! , I'm backing this mofo and can wait to play it. I know I'm in minority but I actually liked ss1 more when it came out then ss2 later on. Both in my all time top favored thou.
I don't give two shits about orchestral music, give me cyber/dark ambient over it any time.
Next proper Thief remake and I'm golden Beam

Jun 29, 2016, 03:37
Re: System Shock Kickstarter and Demo Jun 29, 2016, 03:37
Jun 29, 2016, 03:37

Jerykk wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 02:47:
I really don't understand this fear of reboots. These were old games/series that were essentially dead. It's not like a SS reboot will alter the future of the series when the series had no future to begin with. Meadowbrook Insurance Group (the company that owned the IP until Night Dive bought it) was never going to make a System Shock 3, let alone a SS3 that picked up where SS2 left off.

It is better to have no game, than a shit game which becomes the new point of reference for the "resuscitated" franchise.

For example, Fallout franchise wouldn't have devolved from a richly reactive and cohesive world, into a shitty Call of Duty clone where you communicate with NPCs with a series of entirely inconsequential grunts.

We didn't need another one of those. It adds absolutely nothing. But what it definitely does, is muddy the legacy of a franchise.

Jun 29, 2016, 03:12
Re: System Shock Kickstarter and Demo Jun 29, 2016, 03:12
Jun 29, 2016, 03:12

This is not a "dick move" by GOG, but from the current right holders. THEY decide what GOG is allowed to sell. Well, the classic versions are inluded, so this is a small solace. But still ... a dick move by the new right holders and NOT GOG

Jun 29, 2016, 02:47
Re: System Shock Kickstarter and Demo Jun 29, 2016, 02:47
Jun 29, 2016, 02:47

I just don`t trust these people and their "reboot". This is not just "some" game but a masterpiece on the level of Pirates!, Quake and XCom.

The X-COM reboot turned out pretty well so I don't think reboots are inherently evil. Also, the removal of the original BG from GOG, Steam and every other digital platform was a decision made by Beamdog/Interplay/whoever owns the rights to those games. Same applies to any game that gets removed (assuming it doesn't violate any TOS). Publishers and developers make those decisions, not the platform owners.

I really don't understand this fear of reboots. These were old games/series that were essentially dead. It's not like a SS reboot will alter the future of the series when the series had no future to begin with. Meadowbrook Insurance Group (the company that owned the IP until Night Dive bought it) was never going to make a System Shock 3, let alone a SS3 that picked up where SS2 left off.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2016, 02:55.

Jun 29, 2016, 02:30
Re: System Shock Kickstarter and Demo Jun 29, 2016, 02:30
Jun 29, 2016, 02:30

I just don`t trust these people and their "reboot". This is not just "some" game but a masterpiece on the level of Pirates!, Quake and XCom.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older