Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Forget pi day, today is apparently Tau Day, the annual celebration of the circle constant τ = 6.283185. Scientific American also argues is the most mathematically perfect day of the year. Here's a bit on why: "June 28 is a perfect date because 6 and 28 are both perfect numbers, numbers whose divisors add up to themselves. The numbers 1, 2, and 3 are the three divisors of 6 (other than 6 itself) and 1+2+3=6. Likewise, 28=1+2+4+7+14."

R.I.P.: Pat Summitt, legendary women's basketball coach, dies at 64.
R.I.P.: Former NFL coach, defensive guru Buddy Ryan dies at age 82.

Perfect Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Link: Itís the 30th anniversary of Labyrinth. Bonus (NSFW). Thanks nin.
Story: The strange story of a fertility drug made with the Popeís blessing and gallons of nun urine.
Media: "Game of Thrones" S6 Finale Featurettes.
Star Trek Beyond Trailer #3 (2016).
Follow-up: The Wheel of Time Is Going to Be a TV Series After All.
The Funnies: VG Cats - A Spy Is Sappin' My Update.
View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Star Trek Comic Book Bundle humble Jun 29, 2016, 15:14 RedEye9

if anyone is interested https://www.humblebundle.com/books/star-trek-comics-bundle  

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2016, 07:24 eRe4s3r

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 04:52:
descender wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 13:47:
My faith for the new ST movie lies entirely on Simon Pegg writing it... him being a huge ST nerd and basically not allowing it to become the fan-service knockoff that ST:ED was.

You did see the trailer? You know the part where they manage to destroy another Enterprise in the first five minutes of the film?? Simon Pegg can't fix what isn't broken. This is not Star Trek, it's the Fast and the Furious in tights, in space. Sort of. Well on a planet mostly.

The joke is a series instead of a AAA popcorn movie with this production level but a less retarded writer would easily match up to what Game of Thrones does for pure grim-dark fantasy. 60 episodes a 1h would allow for absolutely insane story arcs, and not this garbage (and seriously, what is up with the 2f2f vibe... same directors?)

I mean, I guess most people watch these because they are short burst entertainment, and they are really good at that. But they are not Star Trek.. every movie for star trek was inferior to even a single episode of Star Trek: Voyager and for a series from 1997 that is really saying a lot about the quality of the writing staff involved....

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2016, 04:52 VaranDragon

descender wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 13:47:
My faith for the new ST movie lies entirely on Simon Pegg writing it... him being a huge ST nerd and basically not allowing it to become the fan-service knockoff that ST:ED was.

You did see the trailer? You know the part where they manage to destroy another Enterprise in the first five minutes of the film?? Simon Pegg can't fix what isn't broken. This is not Star Trek, it's the Fast and the Furious in tights, in space. Sort of. Well on a planet mostly.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 14:16 descender

Why are they subscribing to the CBS TV service to watch the new ST movie? Is the WoT show going to be on CBS?

I'm so confused.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 14:09 nin

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 14:06:
nin wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 13:46:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 13:44:
Subscribe for it?

https://www.cbs.com/all-access/
Uh, yeah. That isn't going to happen.

Zactly!

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 14:06 Mr. Tact

nin wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 13:46:
Subscribe for it?

Uh, yeah. That isn't going to happen.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 13:47 descender

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 13:46 nin

Subscribe for it?

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 13:44 Mr. Tact

Subscribe for it?  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 13:43 nin

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 13:41:
I'm just not feeling it for ST:Beyond... I hope it's better than I feel like it is going to be.

I suspect they're going to be in for a hell of an eye opener when they expect people to subscribe for it...

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 13:42 Agent.X7

STEAM SUMMER SALE

So...Rise of the Tomb Raider is on sale for $38. 35% off.
BUT, if you but it in the "action pack" with Just Cause 3 and you already own Just Cause 3, you get it for $29. (About 50% off.) Glad I caught that, as I really want to put this game up against my 1070 card when it comes in. (Amazon says July 26th, but it should be sooner.)

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 13:41 Mr. Tact

I'm just not feeling it for ST:Beyond... I hope it's better than I feel like it is going to be.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 13:35 Agent.X7

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 10:46:
Oh great... here comes the Rand Al'Thor losers..

Oh great, here comes the internet hipsters...oh wait, you've been here. Shoo. Shoo.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

11. 30th anniversary of Labyrinth Jun 28, 2016, 13:17 Creston

Dear God, I'm so old.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 12:52 Cutter

Blue wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 12:17:
nin wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 09:26:
Forget pi day, today is apparently Tau Day,

Doesn't have quite the same ring...

(Not to seem nosey, but since you mentioned a second trip) Did you get any more results back?

Nothing came back yet (just saw him Friday afternoon). I mostly feel better, except for insane pains in my joints. And those are not too bad today, but I needed Advil yesterday for my shoulders.

There isn't any information I can find that makes this make any sense.

Did you get tested for Gout?

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 12:32 descender

Not only that but mine crashed like crazy when trying to use the command line to turn up the resolution. Steam comes with an outdated version of GLQuake.exe for some reason. (in vanilla you have to type +mlook in the console to turn it on, the others have it in the menu).

There are a bunch of 3rd party packages that replace the .exe and add tons of menu options.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=118401000

This guide lists a bunch of them, I used quakespasm and it got me up and running at 1080p.

What has aged well is the gameplay, just as frantic and awesome as ever. I was supremely pissed that I couldn't still find all of the secret areas in the first few maps though.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 12:17  Blue 

nin wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 09:26:
Forget pi day, today is apparently Tau Day,

Doesn't have quite the same ring...

(Not to seem nosey, but since you mentioned a second trip) Did you get any more results back?

Nothing came back yet (just saw him Friday afternoon). I mostly feel better, except for insane pains in my joints. And those are not too bad today, but I needed Advil yesterday for my shoulders.

There isn't any information I can find that makes this make any sense.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 12:14 Beamer

You know, after all this talk of Quake of late, I bought Quake on Steam last night.

It... it has not aged well.

First, it gives you the option to launch Quake, GLQuake, and GLQuakeWorld. I started with vanilla. Redid the resolution to a modern one, but the menus don't scale. Then I couldn't find a way to enable mouselook. Is there a way? Can't recall, nor can I recall what Lookstrafe does, but there may be something I missed in the postage stamp menu. Did the first two levels, which feel very empty and void, with few enemies, and the frame rate was terrible. It kind of made me feel sick.

Exited, went back with GLQuake, saw you need to use command lines to change the resolution, and decided I was done. You can't go back.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 11:51 Xil

Naa today is Iceland day, man where they happy to have won last night  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 11:02 Task

I would be OK with a WoT Anime. Still, I'd like to see what a good studio could do in making a high quality Trolloc costumes since they are far and away different than Orcs or Goblins with anything from Humanoid Birdmen to Minotaur type things. Get Jim Henson Studio to make some uncanny real looking things.  

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >