Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Pretty blown away by the Game of Thrones season finale last night. The news that the last two seasons may be cut short is a mixed bag, but the picked up pace is thrilling, and trying to digest all the events in the episode makes me a little dizzy. Pretty amazing stuff. Please use the secret text tag if you want to bring up spoilers in the comments.

Dizzying Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Mr. Timan.
Link: National HIV Testing Day.
Story: Rumors Of A Marvel and Fox Arrangement.
Science: Overachieving Hubble mission gets five more years.
Media: ELDERS PLAY SLITHER.IO (Elders React- Gaming).
Introducing SpotMini - quiet dog-like terminator robot.
Expert Glass Blower, Matthew Cummings.
The Funnies: Dilbert.
View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2016, 09:23 Ecthelion

PHJF wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 07:55:
And one part of the prophecy, which is only in the books, reads

SST After the finale with Jaime walking into the throne room, I'm convinced that's what's going to happen. The Kingslayer becomes The Queenslayer.
That prophecy could also refer to Tyrion, since he needs something to do when he flies into King's Landing on a dragon.

But yeah, Jamie doesn't look too pleased with the darker turn Cersei took. He planned to get Tommen back from the High Sparrow and Cersei had no interest in that. I wonder, if Tyrion hadn't killed Tywin would Cersei have done it herself the next time he messed up her plans?

In any case, things are certainly going to be interesting in King's Landing. If Cersei thought the citizens hated Joffrey, she is in for a whole new realm of unrest after killing hundreds of them in the bombing. Her zombie bodyguard can only fend off so many opponents before being overrun, if it comes to a mass uprising.

One interesting point though, by my estimation Cersei is the first legitimate ruler since Robert, since Joffrey and Tommen were both Lannisters with no blood or marital relation to Robert.

Also, I forgot one person, Stannis' wife (Shireen's mother) is probably a worse mother than Cersei. But only just barely.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2016, 07:55 PHJF

SST After the finale with Jaime walking into the throne room, I'm convinced that's what's going to happen. The Kingslayer becomes The Queenslayer.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

42. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2016, 07:41 eRe4s3r

Ecthelion wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 10:55:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 01:17:
Ecthelion wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 22:58:
The rest of the episode was really enjoyable, but that first section in King's Landing, while fun to watch, just seemed so off.

Think about why she didn't want him buried properly.. the relationship was already busted when he invited the faith into the castle by inaction. By the time king proclaimed open support for the faith, she was out for brutal vengeance. She knew the consequences of him surviving... she made a gamble there and it turned out the best possible way. She gave him 1 !!! way out, as her son but king in name only. So to her, this was probably the most in character thing she has ever done. Remember she was out for blood after the "Walk of Shame"

Cersei was gunning for the throne,
and she isn't the type of women you scorn more than once.
Hmm, you may have a point.

In that case, she may be the worst human being so far in the series, worse than Joffrey and Ramsay. Certainly she is the worst mother around. The producers had me believing there was still some good in her when it came to being a mother, so maybe I'm just disappointed that she let revenge override her maternal instincts. Good parents love their children unconditionally, and it's pretty foolish of her to blame Tommen for falling under the High Sparrow's spell when she underestimated him and put him into power in the first place.

I guess this ties back to an earlier episode where Tywin chastised Cersei and Jamie for not thinking about the family name. At this point she has killed her uncle and his son, and it seems like she's too old to start again with new kids (I suppose Jamie could marry somebody and still continue the family but it seems unlikely given his tastes). It seems that revenge and power truly are all that motivate her at the end of the day, and she can't plan for the future. Qyburn and Jamie are her only real allies at this point. Even Robert knew how to appease allies better than her, but I guess she doesn't care about all that. The thing is, that strategy works fine when you have 3 dragons, but not so great when your resources are dwindling. How long does she really think she'll hold the Iron Throne?

Also, side note, but for Season 5 and 6, watching them on HBO Go, they go "inside" the episode after each episode and talk to the producers. EVERY time the guy with thin hair (D.B. Weiss) refers to Tommen, he pronounces it "Tome-in" while the other producer and EVERYONE on the show pronounces it "Tom-in". It's weird.

Even better, the prophecy she received DID predict everything that happened, so it's perfectly possible she is cursed (well, to avoid spoilers)
here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwHGNoMjHn8 (No spoiler, unless you haven't seen season 5 e1

# And when your tears have drowned you, the Valonqar (younger brother) shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 14:59 Nucas

Primalchrome wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 11:07:
Nucas wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 12:00:
pretty funny that robert jordan was the biggest name in fantasy when GRRM was trying to get his footing and a song of ice and fire hit the mainstream.
I loved the first few Jordan books....but the success all went to his head. He started writing drivel by the pound and becoming the living incarnation of petulance. Whereas GoT should get multiple seasons per book, Jordan's works could be easily boiled down to multiple books per season. So many wasted pages on minutae and loose threads....

i've read that the series was supposed to be a trilogy, then a cycle of 7, but Tor Books kept throwing more huge advances to him to extend the series. from books 6 to 9 i'd say it really showed. at least he got back on track with knife of dreams before he passed.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 11:07 Primalchrome

Nucas wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 12:00:
pretty funny that robert jordan was the biggest name in fantasy when GRRM was trying to get his footing and a song of ice and fire hit the mainstream.
I loved the first few Jordan books....but the success all went to his head. He started writing drivel by the pound and becoming the living incarnation of petulance. Whereas GoT should get multiple seasons per book, Jordan's works could be easily boiled down to multiple books per season. So many wasted pages on minutae and loose threads....

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 10:55 Ecthelion

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 01:17:
The rest of the episode was really enjoyable, but that first section in King's Landing, while fun to watch, just seemed so off.

Think about why she didn't want him buried properly.. the relationship was already busted when he invited the faith into the castle by inaction. By the time king proclaimed open support for the faith, she was out for brutal vengeance. She knew the consequences of him surviving... she made a gamble there and it turned out the best possible way. She gave him 1 !!! way out, as her son but king in name only. So to her, this was probably the most in character thing she has ever done. Remember she was out for blood after the "Walk of Shame"

Hmm, you may have a point.

In that case, she may be the worst human being so far in the series, worse than Joffrey and Ramsay. Certainly she is the worst mother around. The producers had me believing there was still some good in her when it came to being a mother, so maybe I'm just disappointed that she let revenge override her maternal instincts. Good parents love their children unconditionally, and it's pretty foolish of her to blame Tommen for falling under the High Sparrow's spell when she underestimated him and put him into power in the first place.

I guess this ties back to an earlier episode where Tywin chastised Cersei and Jamie for not thinking about the family name. At this point she has killed her uncle and his son, and it seems like she's too old to start again with new kids (I suppose Jamie could marry somebody and still continue the family but it seems unlikely given his tastes). It seems that revenge and power truly are all that motivate her at the end of the day, and she can't plan for the future. Qyburn and Jamie are her only real allies at this point. Even Robert knew how to appease allies better than her, but I guess she doesn't care about all that. The thing is, that strategy works fine when you have 3 dragons, but not so great when your resources are dwindling. How long does she really think she'll hold the Iron Throne?

Also, side note, but for Season 5 and 6, watching them on HBO Go, they go "inside" the episode after each episode and talk to the producers. EVERY time the guy with thin hair (D.B. Weiss) refers to Tommen, he pronounces it "Tome-in" while the other producer and EVERYONE on the show pronounces it "Tom-in". It's weird.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 08:37 nin

Task wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 23:54:
Late Night News:

8 Minutes of System Shock Gameplay - 2016 Reboot From the demo being released tomorrow.

I'm in...

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 05:27 eRe4s3r

OpticNerve wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 04:14:
This made me laugh *last episode spoiler btw*: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvFF2GEKAwg

That char needs to be nerfed ;p

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 04:14 OpticNerve

This made me laugh *last episode spoiler btw*: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvFF2GEKAwg  

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 01:17 eRe4s3r

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 01:09 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 14:50:
BitWraith wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 14:41:
Yeah. They have to be careful not to create MTV's Shannara.

Thank you. That's exactly what I was thinking. Never liked Tad's work anyway but when the series lunched I tought, 'Enh, I'll give it a chance.' OMFG it's so bad.

The joke is the premise was really cool. Then they fucked it up with a too small budget, bad story arcs and REALLY bad actors.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 01:01 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 16:55:
Iceland over England in the UEFA round of 16... surely that is a sign of the apocalypse?

Most bizarre game in the entire tourney so far. Did Britain even bring a keeper? Do they know how to play this mysterious game from the continent?

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2016, 00:50 Rigs

Task wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 23:54:
Late Night News:

8 Minutes of System Shock Gameplay - 2016 Reboot From the demo being released tomorrow.

Wow, this is looking really good! Even for an alpha, it has some nice aesthetics! I never played the first System Shock (yeah, yeah, I know...no you can't cut up my GamerCard) but I recently made a run through the second one (up until the later stages where I got bogged down a bit and then totally forgot about it because Fallout4 came out). I could imagine that when it came out, it would have been quite the unique game (and can only assume the first one was the same in terms of ground breaking gameplay) but now, in 2016, it just feels like any other FPS with RPG elements. This new reboot looks really good, though, and I think I might just be interested in giving it a go...

=-Rigs-=

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2016, 23:54 Task

Late Night News:

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2016, 22:58 Ecthelion

Fion wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 13:21:
Personally I've found this season to be thrilling but also poorly written in many ways. It's just really obvious the writers didn't have a book to fall back on this time, and unlike the intrigue and crazy unexpected events and deaths that made it so you never knew what would happen next or who's time was up next is utterly gone.

spoilers s6e10
I can see why they will only do a half season, they basically lined everything up to let Daenerys wipe the floor with westeros now that most of it's nobles are dead, King's Landing is largely burnt to the ground and the only remaining major noble houses with any weatlh and large armies are going to side with her before she even arrives. And Tyrian all but came out and said 'there's this dude named John Snow that'll be just your type, you'll see!'

I also disliked the final episode for many reasons - though the fan service was awesome, several notable characters did things completely out of character. I mean Dorn backing Daenerys? If you know your history that's the last thing they'd EVER do. I guess that's why the show killed the Prince and put women into power. And how exactly does the Queen of Thorns know her grandkids are dead already? Or those in Winterfell knows that Walder Frey is dead when the SEAT OF ALL KNOWLEDGE in the realms didn't know that the Old Bear and Maester Aemon had died what is now years ago. We know from the first season that it takes months - during the summer - to travel from King's Landing to these places. A bird is going to cut that time down but not to days. Ah.. sometimes it doesn't pay off to be a book reader.

Sorry for caps but.. CERCEI ISN'T SMART ENOUGH TO PULL OFF THAT WIN! In the books every time she tries something of intrigue or a complicated web of lies and the shear numbers involved, she'd get caught.

Anyway I really look forward to Book 6, it'll be no where near as obvious and strait forward as Season 6 has been, even if it's been a fun show and Ep10 was basically just fan service. I'm also disliking how many characters have been given plot protection at this point. I'm sure there'll be some shocking deaths in S7 but we all know a few that won't die, no matter how dire things may become.
I thought the last episode was good overall, but one of the most out-of-character for me was Cersei.
How could she not have known that Tommen would have went over the edge (pun intended) when she killed Margaery? He mentioned how much he loved her several times in the past, and Cersei has shown she'd do anything for her children. But in her bombing the Great Sept, she put revenge above her son, which doesn't seem like her at all. Yes she gets revenge on her enemies, but she ALWAYS put her kids first in the past. Shit, she took the walk of shame only for Tommen's sake in the first place! And when Tommen kills himself, bitch don't even care! It seemed like it was just a way for the writers to get her last kid out of the picture so that nothing would tie her to her last vestiges of humanity. If they were going that route, they could have picked a better way to kill Tommen without making it Cersei's fault, or better yet, have her grieve over her grave mistake. Was this revenge for his abolishing the Trial by Combat, and seemingly abandoning her to her fate? That seems stupid, considering she stuck by Joffrey when he gave her the cold shoulder.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2016, 21:06 Task

Cutter wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 17:02:

Are you fucking kidding me? The comic series was about the - ostensibly - second most powerful being existence being bored with all and trying to unmake creation. The TV show is the devil in a buddy cop show. He owns a bar and helps solve crimes with some bimbo model every week. Hrm, let's see, Satan trying to undo creation vs. Devil solving crimes in LA.

Sounds like the TV series is basically a 'dumbing down.' The equivalent of a popamole game. I had no idea it was based on a comic though, now I kind of want to read it ha.

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2016, 19:18 Cutter

AngelicPenguin wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 17:37:
because network execs want drivel that caters to the masses of which I do not belong.

You actually typed that - always good for a laugh.

No, what's funny is how one of the great unwashed like you fail to comprehend that there are many out there who are your betters in every way, shape, and form. Thank you for illustrating why you belong to that ilk.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2016, 17:37 AngelicPenguin

because network execs want drivel that caters to the masses of which I do not belong.

You actually typed that - always good for a laugh.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2016, 17:08 Acleacius

Acleacius wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 16:17:
Because they want more than hardcore comic fans? Giggle
You do realize by taking such a negative attitude about it, your actually killing the chance to get the content you want, right? Personally I can enjoy seeing him try to deal with emotions for the first time. The series seems to be taking place at least a decade before the comics. Not to mention, it's pretty obvious someone is shielding Chloe , not mention why and who (well imo).

Are you fucking kidding me? The comic series was about the - ostensibly - second most powerful being existence being bored with all and trying to unmake creation. The TV show is the devil in a buddy cop show. He owns a bar and helps solve crimes with some bimbo model every week. Hrm, let's see, Satan trying to undo creation vs. Devil solving crimes in LA. Gee, which one is more interesting? Yeah, I suppose for people who feel network TV is awesome it would definitely be the latter. For those with an IQ over 50 it's definitely the former. So regardless of my attitude it's not like it'd ever get made because network execs want drivel that caters to the masses of which I do not belong.
Nope not kidding at all and no one 'except you' said it's one or the other. At least in this instance your, your own worst enemy to getting what 'you say' you want.

Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs,
you would not hear of that party again in our political history.....and they are stupid. Dwight D. Eisenhower

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2016, 17:02 Cutter

Acleacius wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 16:17:
Because they want more than hardcore comic fans? Giggle
You do realize by taking such a negative attitude about it, your actually killing the chance to get the content you want, right? Personally I can enjoy seeing him try to deal with emotions for the first time. The series seems to be taking place at least a decade before the comics. Not to mention, it's pretty obvious someone is shielding Chloe , not mention why and who (well imo).

Are you fucking kidding me? The comic series was about the - ostensibly - second most powerful being existence being bored with all and trying to unmake creation. The TV show is the devil in a buddy cop show. He owns a bar and helps solve crimes with some bimbo model every week. Hrm, let's see, Satan trying to undo creation vs. Devil solving crimes in LA. Gee, which one is more interesting? Yeah, I suppose for people who feel network TV is awesome it would definitely be the latter. For those with an IQ over 50 it's definitely the former. So regardless of my attitude it's not like it'd ever get made because network execs want drivel that caters to the masses of which I do not belong.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >