Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Civilization VI Videos

A video from Eurogamer includes an interview with Civilization VI lead designer Ed Beach, along with about 18 minutes of gameplay footage from the upcoming continuation of Sid Meier's beloved series. Along the way they take a deep dive into some of the game's strategy elements. They have also posted the E3 presentation for Civilization VI, offering over 12 minutes of gameplay, and going the whole lead designer thing one better by providing narration from none other that Sean Bean. Spoiler alert, he somehow manages to survive to the end:

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Civilization VI Videos Jun 26, 2016, 22:40 Quboid

I like the look of the map. It is a bit like Civ 4 and I used that graphics mod to make the world more realistic so maybe I'll get sick of this.

It appears that the landscape is known from the start. Are the ancient tribes supposed to know the layout of far-away lands?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Civilization VI Videos Jun 26, 2016, 21:55 Total-Khaos

yonder wrote on Jun 26, 2016, 11:01:
The heck are you guys talking about? The graphics have, depending on your definition, either been cartoony for about 15 years or so, or have been cartoony the entire time. If you hate that aspect of the game you've hated the last 3 or 4 entries into the series.

I, for one, love the new look of the map and I think the change of the way cities work is a massive enough change to warrant a new entry into the series. I'm glad they're taking risks. If I want to play the same game over and over, I'll do exactly that, since I have all the games in the series.

To me, it looks like mobile game with the stylized leaders and World of Warcraft looking trees / terrain. It would be great to go back to historical looking leaders, units, and realistic looking terrain. I'm sure the game-play itself will be fine.

18. Re: Civilization VI Videos Jun 26, 2016, 13:23 Fion

Don't get me wrong Yonder, I'm rather hyped for the game and I 'love' the new map system - from the unexplored areas having like an old parchment map styling to them to mountains having a use besides a way to block attacking troops trying to get by your fortress.

I do agree that the games have been cartoony for a while, and it seems clear that Civ VI art design is heavily inspired by Civ IV's (which I disliked then too). Between gigantic army units were huge battles were fought between... 8 combatants and the game's leaders looking like a saturday morning cartoon, IV was seriously cartoonish in its art direction and Civ VI is clearly following that trend, if not going even more cartoony.

I must prefered Civ V's 'stylized realism', and mods only increased this with - as I mentioned - R.E.D. Mod Pack making units look like more than 6-8 individual gigantic soldiers. I just hope we see mods like that fairly soon with CiV VI.

Def pre-ordering though!

17. Re: Civilization VI Videos Jun 26, 2016, 12:32 Pr()ZaC

Civilization VI is coming.  

16. Re: Civilization VI Videos Jun 26, 2016, 12:23 Bludd

yonder wrote on Jun 26, 2016, 11:01:
The heck are you guys talking about? The graphics have, depending on your definition, either been cartoony for about 15 years or so, or have been cartoony the entire time. If you hate that aspect of the game you've hated the last 3 or 4 entries into the series.

I, for one, love the new look of the map and I think the change of the way cities work is a massive enough change to warrant a new entry into the series. I'm glad they're taking risks. If I want to play the same game over and over, I'll do exactly that, since I have all the games in the series.
The graphics need to be stylised like this now because of the amount of info you need to be able to grasp at a glance is greater bsince the cities are unstacked. I think it looks clean and good. I hate the way Beyond Earth looks, it is WAY to busy and I am glad they didn't go down that route.

15. Re: Civilization VI Videos Jun 26, 2016, 11:01 yonder

14. Re: Civilization VI Videos Jun 26, 2016, 01:37 eRe4s3r

Task wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 15:35:
Whats happening with Space Civ then? Hopefully not dead on arrival.

Civ Beyond Earth is "beyond hope" You can't fix lazy game design

Btw, I am going to get pedantic now and mention in the first video, those walls in the city.. notice that shadows leak "beneath" the wall. It looks abysmal, as if someone slapped this together in some pre unity engine and called it a day.

13. Re: Civilization VI Videos Jun 26, 2016, 01:36 BIGtrouble77

Total-Khaos wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 12:27:
So tired of this cartoony bullshit. Give us a real Civ game please.

It's called Europa Universalis IV. Civ V is the last game in the series I'll likely ever buy.

12. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 25, 2016, 20:54 Scottish Martial Arts

jdreyer wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 14:18:
It's interesting that the series is on its third designer in three versions.

Hasn't that been true of all of them though?

1. Sid Meier
2. Brian Reynolds
3. Jeff Briggs
4. Soren Johnson
5. Jon Shafer
6. Ed Beach

11. Re: Civilization VI Videos Jun 25, 2016, 19:26 SpectralMeat

I was trying to figure what the hell was going on with Ed's shirt in that interview video.
As for the game. It's a preorder for me.
GMG has a 23% off code thinkking of getting it through them.

Steam: SpectralMeat

10. Re: Civilization VI Videos Jun 25, 2016, 18:26 Cutter

The gameplay graphics look great but yeah, the stylized leaders have to go.

I have written the only diet book that I believe needs to exist, and here it is: CHAPTER ONE: Eat a bit less. CHAPTER TWO: Move about a bit more. THE END. - Miranda Hart

9. Re: Civilization VI Videos Jun 25, 2016, 17:01 verybad1

Well, I've gotten hundreds of hours out of each Civ game, and this one just watching gameplay movies is giving me a boner, so yeah. It's a preorder for me.  

8. Re: Civilization VI Videos Jun 25, 2016, 15:51 Bludd

Task wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 15:35:
It's had an expansion, but honestly I think it's over and I don't think it'll get any more.

7. Re: Civilization VI Videos Jun 25, 2016, 15:35 Task

MekPak Variants Mod - BattleTech Beta

6. Re: Civilization VI Videos Jun 25, 2016, 15:28 Bludd

Quboid wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 15:13:
Peter M. Smith wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 14:35:

While your statement is true at face value, the reality is Ed Beach was the designer for both of the Civ V expansions as well as the core of Civ VI.

It's quite a lot of shifting. If it wasn't for the fact that each game has been better than the previous in my opinion, I would think that lead designers are carrying the can for delivering a failure, with successors easing into the role with DLC.

The designers seem to go into indie development. Maybe they're unhappy working on large projects and fancy having the sort of control that they give their players. Maybe they don't like the size of their bonus.

Watch the DICE summit Civ 25th anniversary panel with Bruce Shelley, Firaxis Games' Sid Meier, Big Huge Games' Brian Reynolds and Mohawk Games' Soren Johnson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h65FXaJHbhE

They say it is quite draining to lead a Civ game

5. Re: Civilization VI Videos Jun 25, 2016, 15:13 Quboid

Peter M. Smith wrote on Jun 25, 2016, 14:35:

While your statement is true at face value, the reality is Ed Beach was the designer for both of the Civ V expansions as well as the core of Civ VI.

It's quite a lot of shifting. If it wasn't for the fact that each game has been better than the previous in my opinion, I would think that lead designers are carrying the can for delivering a failure, with successors easing into the role with DLC.

The designers seem to go into indie development. Maybe they're unhappy working on large projects and fancy having the sort of control that they give their players. Maybe they don't like the size of their bonus.

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2016, 15:19.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

4. Re: Civilization VI Videos Jun 25, 2016, 14:35 Peter M. Smith

3. Re: Civilization VI Videos Jun 25, 2016, 14:18 jdreyer

Stay a while, and listen.

2. Re: Civilization VI Videos Jun 25, 2016, 13:29 Fion

I agree, the units are few in number and cartoonish, the leaders look like they were ripped from a Disney movie. I get why they went with this, probably so it'll run on a wider variety of hardware. While I'm hyped as hell for the game, seeing units tower over the cities is jarring and will undoubtedly break immersion.

Hopefully early mods will improve the situation, reskin and resize units, add a tun more individual combatants per unit. After all one of the most popular mods for Civ V is the R.E.D. Mod Pack, I have a feeling a similar mod will be just as popular.

Edit: for clarity

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2016, 13:53.

1. Re: Civilization VI Videos Jun 25, 2016, 12:27 Total-Khaos

So tired of this cartoony bullshit. Give us a real Civ game please.  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo