Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM Demo Extended

A tweet from the DOOM account announces the playable demo for DOOM is being extended. This was originally only to be available through E3, but now for undisclosed reasons they have decided to extend this for an undisclosed period of time. Word is: "Due to popular demand, we're extending the #DOOM Demo! Download now and #FightLikeHell http://doom.com/demo." They later explain their lack of reasoning on this: "This was initially for E3 week only. But we figured, what the hell."

View
93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

93. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 24, 2016, 13:21 Bumpy

Beamer wrote on Jun 24, 2016, 10:58:
If you do not like glorykills, the constant staggering is like slamming the breaks every few seconds while driving.

This is exactly the issue, well said.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

92. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 24, 2016, 11:27 yuastnav

Beamer wrote on Jun 22, 2016, 12:58:
I just hated the weapons and upgrades in SW (the physical ones were so pointless), hated the enemies, really hated the bosses (oh my god, the sword fights with whatshisname, or shooting a giant in the shin for 10 minutes...), etc.

Different strokes. I really felt like that game did everything poorly. I gritted through till the end because I wanted to see what a fully modded sword was like. Answer: horribly underwhelming.

Yeah, the boss fights were not great. Obviously I cannot comment on DOOM with respect to that.

I loved the fully upgraded sword. You could just walk and slice everyone from afar. I was really disappointed when you didn't have it in NG+. I mean, from a story standpoint it makes sense but I still would've liked to finish the whole game with the fully upgraded sword.

So DOOM is at a reasonable price right now. I'm still struggling to buy it, though. The glory kills are too much of a nuisance.
I mean, you don't have technically to do them but it feels like the game is really designed around that mechanic.

[edit]
Also what ItBurn said. I also really liked the story, the atmosphere and the voice acting in Shadow Warrior. And the levels were much clearer designed, too, which I cannot say for the DOOM demo. They are not bad but Shadow Warrior's levels were better.

91. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 24, 2016, 11:03 Razumen

Beamer wrote on Jun 24, 2016, 10:58:
Razumen wrote on Jun 24, 2016, 10:23:
Beamer wrote on Jun 24, 2016, 07:38:
Razumen wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 23:23:
Quboid wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 22:12:
Glory Kills are forced on the player in that these weird, unbelievable stunned enemies that regenerate health if you don't finish them off. Even if you don't do the kill, the effects can not be avoided. (I turned off the shine, they still look silly.)

It's ridiculously pedantic to claim that they are optional just because the actual action isn't forced on you. They are pushed on the player in every fight and the game is balanced accordingly.

Glory kills are optional in the same way that completing Dark Souls with a fake guitar is an option. I'd agree with that.

It's not pedantic, it's accurate, you can beat the entire game without doing them.

I could probably also finish the game while someone is repeatedly punching me in the stomach. That doesn't mean being punched in the stomach is part of the balance or how the devs intended you to play.

Nice strawman. That's not part of the game, therefore it means nothing.

Playing the game without doing glory kills is not at all an impossible feat to any of the examples you've described, theyr'e a crutch, nothing more, and there's more than plenty of health around the levels. You just like to exaggerate it to that point simply because the feature displeases you.

It's not impossible, but it's less fun. At the point where you expect an enemy to die it instead staggers and gets a split second of near invulnerability. It's distracting and completely throws off flow.

If you like glorykills, as I did, building a flow with them is easy and fluid and a blast. If you do not like glorykills, the constant staggering is like slamming the breaks every few seconds while driving.

What? They're never invulnerable, just keep shooting them and they die guaranteed. As for fun, that's completely subjective.

90. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 24, 2016, 10:58 Beamer

Razumen wrote on Jun 24, 2016, 10:23:
Glory Kills are forced on the player in that these weird, unbelievable stunned enemies that regenerate health if you don't finish them off. Even if you don't do the kill, the effects can not be avoided. (I turned off the shine, they still look silly.)

It's ridiculously pedantic to claim that they are optional just because the actual action isn't forced on you. They are pushed on the player in every fight and the game is balanced accordingly.

Glory kills are optional in the same way that completing Dark Souls with a fake guitar is an option. I'd agree with that.

It's not pedantic, it's accurate, you can beat the entire game without doing them.

I could probably also finish the game while someone is repeatedly punching me in the stomach. That doesn't mean being punched in the stomach is part of the balance or how the devs intended you to play.

Playing the game without doing glory kills is not at all an impossible feat to any of the examples you've described, theyr'e a crutch, nothing more, and there's more than plenty of health around the levels. You just like to exaggerate it to that point simply because the feature displeases you.

It's not impossible, but it's less fun. At the point where you expect an enemy to die it instead staggers and gets a split second of near invulnerability. It's distracting and completely throws off flow.

If you like glorykills, as I did, building a flow with them is easy and fluid and a blast. If you do not like glorykills, the constant staggering is like slamming the breaks every few seconds while driving.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

89. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 24, 2016, 10:23 Razumen

88. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 24, 2016, 09:38 nin

There's health and ammo in other places in the level. So the glory kill is optional...you don't have to do it, you can choose to.

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

87. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 24, 2016, 09:35 Quboid

nin wrote on Jun 24, 2016, 08:39:
Glory Kills are forced on the player in that these weird, unbelievable stunned enemies that regenerate health if you don't finish them off.

And when you keep shooting them? What happens then?

They die. So if you're fighting a crowd of enemies, you have to focus your fire on the one which is not a threat.

Alternatively, you need the health or ammo so you have to focus on not hitting that enemy, because being careful not to hurt demons is definitely what I play Doom for.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

86. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 24, 2016, 08:39 nin

Glory Kills are forced on the player in that these weird, unbelievable stunned enemies that regenerate health if you don't finish them off.

And when you keep shooting them? What happens then?

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

85. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 24, 2016, 07:38 Beamer

-------------

84. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 23, 2016, 23:23 Razumen

83. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 23, 2016, 22:12 Quboid

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

82. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 23, 2016, 11:00 Razumen

Beamer wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 10:39:
Razumen wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 10:32:
Beamer wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 10:24:
I still disagree that you can play Nightmare without glory kills. The game simply doesn't give you enough health on those levels. Getting hit once will take off as much health as some levels contain in total.

There's already people who can beat the game on Ultra-Nightmare. Eventually someone will do it, just like someone beat Dark Souls using a Guitar Hero controller.

I didn't say it was impossible... yes, someone can beat Dark Souls using Guitar Hero, but to sit here and tell someone they should do it and it fixes their complaint about the game is idiotic.

In his opinion, Glory Kills are not fun and too integral a part of the game design for him to like Doom. Which is fine. I don't know why you're arguing with him about his opinion.

Doom is, to me, hands down the best straightforward FPS game in years. I'm not sitting here demanding he change his opinion because I disagree with it. I'm not sitting here telling him he sucks at games or does not understand the game. You're doing that.

Let him have his opinion. How does that hurt you? And stop telling people what they don't understand. You don't come across looking good like that.

He wasn't arguing his opinion, if he was I wouldn't have a problem with it, instead he was pushing his opinion as fact and saying that that glory kills are forced upon the player and 100% necessary, and basing it off of incorrect knowledge of the game to boot. Of course I'm going to call him out on that.

This game has a higher skill ceiling on higher difficulties than regular Doom did IMO, if you don't want to rely on GK's for health, then practice on lower ones until you don't need to.

81. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 23, 2016, 10:55 Beamer

descender wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 10:45:
Outside of killing the bosses, I basically didn't use the GK mechanic at all until I got to ultra-violence. There is a pretty significant increase in the amount of damage you take from HMP to UV. Until then I was just using it to top off after fights ended.

Most of the time I shoot the staggering enemies out of reflex and never even have a chance to use the damn button in the first place. "shit! I needed that guy!".

Don't take it as "git gud". Why are you trying to hug all of the bad guys? Stop worrying about min-maxing your game so much :p

I did my first playthrough on HMP, too. It was a blast - I was a demon killing god and nothing could stop me. I hardly died. Nearly all my deaths were falling, and then the stupid spider killed with the electricity something like 5 or 6 times. Otherwise? Enemies couldn't harm me. I actually found myself aiming around enemies to stagger them, too, for ammo. I did most of my fighting with the double barrel shotgun, and would shoot enemies in the leg to not explode them.

Then I went to Nightmare. Did my first fight, felt good about it, then went through and picked up the health and armor. It... it was a surprise. The pickups give you something around 20% of what they do on other difficulty. That little health or armor that gives you +5 on HMP? +1 on Nightmare. Suddenly, every hit counts, because getting too close to an imp and losing a quick 40 health can take a very long time to get back.

Unless you glory kill. Then imps are like walking health pinatas.

-------------

80. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 23, 2016, 10:45 descender

Outside of killing the bosses, I basically didn't use the GK mechanic at all until I got to ultra-violence. There is a pretty significant increase in the amount of damage you take from HMP to UV. Until then I was just using it to top off after fights ended.

Most of the time I shoot the staggering enemies out of reflex and never even have a chance to use the damn button in the first place. "shit! I needed that guy!".

Don't take it as "git gud". Why are you trying to hug all of the bad guys? Stop worrying about min-maxing your game so much :p

79. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 23, 2016, 10:41 ItBurn

I actually really liked Doom. 8/10.  

78. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 23, 2016, 10:39 Beamer

Razumen wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 10:32:
I still disagree that you can play Nightmare without glory kills. The game simply doesn't give you enough health on those levels. Getting hit once will take off as much health as some levels contain in total.

There's already people who can beat the game on Ultra-Nightmare. Eventually someone will do it, just like someone beat Dark Souls using a Guitar Hero controller.

I didn't say it was impossible... yes, someone can beat Dark Souls using Guitar Hero, but to sit here and tell someone they should do it and it fixes their complaint about the game is idiotic.

In his opinion, Glory Kills are not fun and too integral a part of the game design for him to like Doom. Which is fine. I don't know why you're arguing with him about his opinion.

Doom is, to me, hands down the best straightforward FPS game in years. I'm not sitting here demanding he change his opinion because I disagree with it. I'm not sitting here telling him he sucks at games or does not understand the game. You're doing that.

Let him have his opinion. How does that hurt you? And stop telling people what they don't understand. You don't come across looking good like that.

-------------

77. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 23, 2016, 10:32 Razumen

76. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 23, 2016, 10:26 Razumen

nin wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 10:10:
Like kill him, and move on! THAT'S the fastest way. Click the left mouse button! WHOA! Did you see that? HE DIED!!!! How did this happen???????????

My gawd! It's so simple! How did we not see that before?? It's almost like we're playing a game based on a version from the 90's!!!

75. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 23, 2016, 10:24 Beamer

-------------

74. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 23, 2016, 10:22 Razumen

ItBurn wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 10:14:
nin wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 10:13:
ItBurn wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 10:11:
nin wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 10:10:
ItBurn wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 10:00:
Wow, you want to be this anal?

I hope the irony of your statement isn't lost on you.

Here's what happens MOST of the time when you play this game. You see an imp. You give him a direct shot with the shotgun, he goes into glory kill mode for something like 10 seconds. Now you can ignore him, and do other things

Like kill him, and move on! THAT'S the fastest way. Click the left mouse button! WHOA! Did you see that? HE DIED!!!! How did this happen???????????

You forget the part where you deal a fatal blow, but he doesn't die.

Where, exactly?

"You give him a direct shot with the shotgun, he goes into glory kill mode for something like 10 seconds."

Ok guys, it's been fun, you like glory kills and that's great for you. I don't like them and feel that they're forced. You disagree, that's fine. I really have to work now though

Again, you're fundamentally not understanding the game's simple mechanics: that's not a fatal blow. Monsters get stunned when they have X% of health left, they don't get stunned randomly when they hit zero health. Moreover, it's possible to skip the stun stage by dealing enough damage.

93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo