Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Evening Crowdfunding Roundup

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jun 21, 2016, 20:55 Wowbagger_TIP

Tigger wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 12:33:
nin wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 10:49:
Task wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 10:26:
Any crowdfund is a gamble since you are investing in an idea/product. It's an interesting concept and I still enjoy it, but I'm far more selective in what I invest in these days. In total I have helped crowdfund 13 products, not all are games, and the one I regret to this day is MWO as a collosal disappointment.

I go by these rules if I have money to invest at the time:

1. Have they delivered any previous crowdfund projects successfully?
2. Have they delivered any previous non-crowdfund projects successfully?
^ Produced something I enjoyed or could see myself enjoying (decent reviews help)
3. Do the company leads run an efficient business already?
4. Do they have a reasonably, sound concept and maybe pre-alpha footage if its a media product (not overly ambitious)?

I remember this particular one, but I steered clear.

I'll add:

Do they specifically list their team members (by name and picture) and their previous accomplishments?

Have they backed any other projects? This is more of an etiquette for me, but I always thought it was tacky to ask for money if you've not been involved in KS before.

That's a good list of things to look at. Since there is little or no accountability for crowdfunded anything, I'm just staying away.

I've backed only the ones I thought could deliver:

Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, Grim Dawn, Shadowrun Hong Kong, Torment: Tides of Numenara, and Battletech.

Battletech is still a ways off, Torment just released its beta, and the rest are finished products. All in all, I think things have turned out great!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 21, 2016, 12:33 Tigger

nin wrote on Jun 21, 2016, 10:49:
Any crowdfund is a gamble since you are investing in an idea/product. It's an interesting concept and I still enjoy it, but I'm far more selective in what I invest in these days. In total I have helped crowdfund 13 products, not all are games, and the one I regret to this day is MWO as a collosal disappointment.

^ Produced something I enjoyed or could see myself enjoying (decent reviews help)
4. Do they have a reasonably, sound concept and maybe pre-alpha footage if its a media product (not overly ambitious)?

I'll add:

Do they specifically list their team members (by name and picture) and their previous accomplishments?

Have they backed any other projects? This is more of an etiquette for me, but I always thought it was tacky to ask for money if you've not been involved in KS before.

That's a good list of things to look at. Since there is little or no accountability for crowdfunded anything, I'm just staying away.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 21, 2016, 10:49 nin

I'll add:

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 21, 2016, 10:26 Task

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

7. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 21, 2016, 06:21 Luke

Well i for once won't play sugardaddy for those so called " game devs"

idiotic

6. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 21, 2016, 06:14 IgWannA

Great example of why I'm so skeptical of crowd funded games. Already been burned by Overgrowth, which is still in early alpha 5 years after buying it, and Star Citizen - we'll have to see on that one. Just glad I didn't buy an expensive ship.

As for ReRoll they should really reimburse people as much as they can, rather than keeping the money and handing out a crap poorly-received game they already made. Have they even shown where the development money has gone? Seems strange that they would carry on development before securing all the necessary funds to complete the game.

5. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 21, 2016, 00:21 Caladell

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 21:14:
Pulled the trigger on=donated to the kickstarter
Pulled the plug=took it off life support/let it die.

True, true. Glad I never pulled the 'trigger'. Thanks for the correction Helf

4. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jun 20, 2016, 22:49 Wowbagger_TIP

It's not that you shouldn't back any of these. I've backed several, and while Wasteland 2 didn't really turn out to my liking, the rest have been pretty good, and a couple are still in the works, but looking good. Just don't back without the understanding that you may lose that money. If you've done your research into who exactly is doing the work and what their track record is, then you should know what you're getting into.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

3. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 20, 2016, 21:19 MoreLuckThanSkill

Yet another example of how people REALLY shouldn't put a lot of money into any crowdfunding project, or really ANY money at all. It's not a preorder, it's a donation to strangers.

Disclaimer: I have put 15-25 dollars into Pillars of Eternity, Grim Dawn, and a couple other Kickstarters.

Sometimes that bum really will just use your money to buy some alcohol.

2. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 20, 2016, 21:14 The Half Elf

Pulled the trigger on=donated to the kickstarter
Pulled the plug=took it off life support/let it die.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 20, 2016, 20:33 Caladell

Glad I never pulled the plug on this one. Looked really interesting, but after months and months of no updates, I figured I'd wait until it was released.
Sucks for those that threw money into it though.

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >