PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing

Daybreak Studio announces the closure of Legends of Norrath, saying the EverQuest-themed trading card game has not had an active development team "for quite some time," call the decision to close the servers on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at Noon PDT "difficult" (thanks Gamasutra). They also announce that on July 1st they will pull the plug on the original PlanetSide. Here's word:
April and May were really exciting months for us with the release of the new Construction System, base revamp of Indar, and new population caps to improve battle flow. It’s been exciting to watch all of you experiment with base design and shift battles in new directions. A big thanks to all of you who have jumped in to try it out and given us feedback.

While we hope you are as excited as we are about the recent changes, we do have to make a more solemn announcement. On July 1st, at 4:00 PM PT, we will be closing the PlanetSide 1 server. PlanetSide 1 has a very important history with Daybreak Games and a special place in the hearts of those who work on its successor. While we have run the game for free since 2014, due to evolving business needs and technical requirements it has become necessary to conclude this service.

We hope you will take this opportunity to enjoy the remaining time available with each other and please help us give PlanetSide 1 the sendoff it deserves.
View : : :
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing
Jun 18, 2016, 12:28
Re: PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing Jun 18, 2016, 12:28
Jun 18, 2016, 12:28

Phasenoise wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 09:28:
EQ was unbelievably player-hostile. Generally you had fun because you were in some sort of shared-trauma situation with several other people.
The time it required to do anything was intense, whether it was waiting and hoping for a rare spawn, or just getting somewhere.

And it actually got worse the more hardcore you were. Everything required a ton of work from you, and you HAD to keep up with your guild or you were just F'ed. I saw it destroy lives at a horrible clip.

What it DID have is a sense of accomplishment. This game did not in any way spoon feed you anything, and quite to the contrary, it tried to kill you with the spoon regularly. Just getting TO a raid was often very complex and dangerous.
As such, the community was real. These were people you fought along side, or often competed with. Remember, no instances. All of you are in the same dungeon. "kill stealing" is a real thing.

No, I would NOT recommend you play it. You won't get a player to level 20 without losing your mind at the glacial pace.
You'll also be surprised at the complete lack of any concessions to player comfort. Die? All your stuff stays on your corpse. Under the thing that just killed you already. You lose experience which took you hours (days, later in progression) to get.

Oh, it's a feisty bitch. Which is why that remaining group loves it. WoW it is not.

Actually it's been a year or so since I last picked it up but you get mercenaries now (npc player) that can group with you and murder stuff easily. Obviously, later down the line you'll need a group to accomplish anything else but to just dip your toes in, it's hardly as brutal as it was back then. The downside to that is you're not getting the true experience as it was back then. A lot has changed in the game for better and worse.

Jun 18, 2016, 11:50
Re: PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing Jun 18, 2016, 11:50
Jun 18, 2016, 11:50

This was just a trading card game and it was not designed very well, good ridence

Jun 18, 2016, 11:35
Re: PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing Jun 18, 2016, 11:35
Jun 18, 2016, 11:35

Had I not dropped the game and moved to the other side of the world, EQ would have fully destroyed my life. I put far more time into it than I did any job.

Afterlife, were were great but we paid the price.

Fleche Fizzlewood
The Original GAR

Jun 18, 2016, 09:28
Re: PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing Jun 18, 2016, 09:28
Jun 18, 2016, 09:28

EQ was unbelievably player-hostile. Generally you had fun because you were in some sort of shared-trauma situation with several other people.
The time it required to do anything was intense, whether it was waiting and hoping for a rare spawn, or just getting somewhere.

And it actually got worse the more hardcore you were. Everything required a ton of work from you, and you HAD to keep up with your guild or you were just F'ed. I saw it destroy lives at a horrible clip.

What it DID have is a sense of accomplishment. This game did not in any way spoon feed you anything, and quite to the contrary, it tried to kill you with the spoon regularly. Just getting TO a raid was often very complex and dangerous.
As such, the community was real. These were people you fought along side, or often competed with. Remember, no instances. All of you are in the same dungeon. "kill stealing" is a real thing.

No, I would NOT recommend you play it. You won't get a player to level 20 without losing your mind at the glacial pace.
You'll also be surprised at the complete lack of any concessions to player comfort. Die? All your stuff stays on your corpse. Under the thing that just killed you already. You lose experience which took you hours (days, later in progression) to get.

Oh, it's a feisty bitch. Which is why that remaining group loves it. WoW it is not.

Jun 18, 2016, 04:04
Re: PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing Jun 18, 2016, 04:04
Jun 18, 2016, 04:04

Planetside 1 was still going on? Didn`t even know...

Glad they still support P2, despite everybody saying it`d be dead soon last year...it`s an amazing game - and that`s from somebody who hates f2p model dearly.

And the base building sounds awesome too - makes me wanna jump in again...though I can`t really play it anymore - my ole foggy brain is bot too slow for this kind of intensity.

Jun 18, 2016, 02:40
Re: PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing Jun 18, 2016, 02:40
Jun 18, 2016, 02:40

Ahh camping in Everquest. I remember camping the fire elemental in Sol A for the runed lava pendant. Made some good gold selling those. The worst was the monk epic quest item from Lower Guk. It was a brutal, lonely camp.

Jun 18, 2016, 02:11
Re: PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing Jun 18, 2016, 02:11
Jun 18, 2016, 02:11

MUGWUMP wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 00:48:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 00:42:
There is no 'best experience' with everquest anymore when after 10+ years people are still camping out rooms in lower Guk.

LOL must get those boots!

EDIT: Oh wait...that was Najena. Damn. So much camping.

That was the one lame part. If you needed someting from a specific spot be prepared to wait DAYS to get on the list to get into the group that was camping a specific spot only to sit there to kill a group of 4 mobs then sit on your ass for 30 minutes till they spawned again...only to NOT drop the shit someone needs :p

It's been since 2004 but I remember being in Lower Guk camping the Flowing Black Silk Sash, a highly prized haste belt, from the Froggies. I had one of those wind up kitchen timers and would reset it for 29 minutes waiting for respawn after respawn, night after night.

"Let them eat Twinkies" - Proposed followup to Melania Trump's "Be Best" campaign.

Jun 18, 2016, 00:48
Re: PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing Jun 18, 2016, 00:48
Jun 18, 2016, 00:48

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 00:42:
There is no 'best experience' with everquest anymore when after 10+ years people are still camping out rooms in lower Guk.

LOL must get those boots!

EDIT: Oh wait...that was Najena. Damn. So much camping.

That was the one lame part. If you needed someting from a specific spot be prepared to wait DAYS to get on the list to get into the group that was camping a specific spot only to sit there to kill a group of 4 mobs then sit on your ass for 30 minutes till they spawned again...only to NOT drop the shit someone needs :p

Jun 18, 2016, 00:44
Rigs

Re: PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing Jun 18, 2016, 00:44
Jun 18, 2016, 00:44
 Rigs

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 23:32:
Rigs wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 23:17:
So, for someone that's just recently gotten into RPG's in a major way (was always a sim/strategy/wargamer), would you recommend Evercrac...I mean, Everquest? I know it's old, I know it's history. I was around when it started but never felt much need to play it until I got onto this RPG kick last year (helped by Fallout4, Wasteland2, DwarfFortress, The Witcher3 et al.) but seeing how it IS an older game and seemingly legendary in it's genre, I thought maybe I'd jump in to see what it was all about while I still had the chance. Curiously enough, I was interested and signed up for the Everquest Landmark thing which apparently bit the dust. And for some reason, I have absolutely no urge to play WoW whatsoever. Medieval setting with magic, fine. Fantasy setting with medieval and magic on-top, not quite my cup of tea. I tend to go with the more 'realistic' of the fantasy types. If that makes any sense...I guess it stems from my 'Realist' roots, I can't get my mind to just forget the fact that anthropomorphic ninja pandas are a thing and just go with it... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

Actually, Everquest Next bit the dust. Landmark just went to 1.0 status a week or so ago.

https://www.landmarkthegame.com/about-landmark

Not really a rpg per se, more like a prettier looking Minecraft.

Ah, right, 'Next'...shows how much I really pay attention, that's what I meant. I forgot there was two new...sequels? spin offs? variations? ...of Everquest coming out. Thanks for the correction!

MUGWUMP wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 00:11:
Don't get Landmark. It's amazing they're actually still selling it. I think it's a crime. It's not a game. It's a tech demo.

As for Everquest... It's where I "popped the cherry" so to speak, with mmos. So many awesome memories. But that was so many years ago. If it's the same experience as it was near the beginning then I say hell yea go for it, but I'm tempted to believe it's only harcore people still playing so you won't get the vanilla experience of traveling from Qeynos to Freeport for the first time. It was actually scary. Especially knowing that if you die and you can't get back to your corpse in time you lose everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpmgqIq-s0s

So many memories :p

Well, I might dip my toes in just to see what it's about and to say that, yes, I did play Everquest when my grandkids hear about it in a YoutubeXL 2100 online gaming history documentary 30 years from now...

=-Rigs-=

Jun 18, 2016, 00:42
Re: PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing Jun 18, 2016, 00:42
Jun 18, 2016, 00:42

Jun 18, 2016, 00:40
Xil

Re: PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing Jun 18, 2016, 00:40
Jun 18, 2016, 00:40
 Xil

So, for someone that's just recently gotten into RPG's in a major way (was always a sim/strategy/wargamer), would you recommend Evercrac...I mean, Everquest? I know it's old, I know it's history. I was around when it started but never felt much need to play it until I got onto this RPG kick last year (helped by Fallout4, Wasteland2, DwarfFortress, The Witcher3 et al.) but seeing how it IS an older game and seemingly legendary in it's genre, I thought maybe I'd jump in to see what it was all about while I still had the chance. Curiously enough, I was interested and signed up for the Everquest Landmark thing which apparently bit the dust. And for some reason, I have absolutely no urge to play WoW whatsoever. Medieval setting with magic, fine. Fantasy setting with medieval and magic on-top, not quite my cup of tea. I tend to go with the more 'realistic' of the fantasy types. If that makes any sense...I guess it stems from my 'Realist' roots, I can't get my mind to just forget the fact that anthropomorphic ninja pandas are a thing and just go with it... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

To get the best experience in EQ you need to group, yes yes some classes can solo some stuff but tbh grouping is a must and that takes time... as does the grinding so exp and for rare drops, so be prepared to put a lot of time into the game

But yes the memories will never be replaced, trying to get a part of your rogue epic in Plane of Hate (at lvl 50 as it was back then) is an experience I will never forget

Jun 18, 2016, 00:11
Re: PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing Jun 18, 2016, 00:11
Jun 18, 2016, 00:11

Don't get Landmark. It's amazing they're actually still selling it. I think it's a crime. It's not a game. It's a tech demo.

As for Everquest... It's where I "popped the cherry" so to speak, with mmos. So many awesome memories. But that was so many years ago. If it's the same experience as it was near the beginning then I say hell yea go for it, but I'm tempted to believe it's only harcore people still playing so you won't get the vanilla experience of traveling from Qeynos to Freeport for the first time. It was actually scary. Especially knowing that if you die and you can't get back to your corpse in time you lose everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpmgqIq-s0s

So many memories :p

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 2016, 00:17.

Jun 17, 2016, 23:32
Re: PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing Jun 17, 2016, 23:32
Jun 17, 2016, 23:32

=-Rigs-=

Actually, Everquest Next bit the dust. Landmark just went to 1.0 status a week or so ago.

https://www.landmarkthegame.com/about-landmark

Not really a rpg per se, more like a prettier looking Minecraft.

Jun 17, 2016, 23:17
Rigs

Re: PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing Jun 17, 2016, 23:17
Jun 17, 2016, 23:17
 Rigs

=-Rigs-=

Jun 17, 2016, 22:10
Re: PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing Jun 17, 2016, 22:10
Jun 17, 2016, 22:10

Bill Borre wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 21:41:
I wonder if EverQuest is next?

Doubtful, EQ still has at least a skeleton crew doing work on it, as well as it is still making some money for Daybreak in some fashion.

Jun 17, 2016, 21:41
Re: PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing Jun 17, 2016, 21:41
Jun 17, 2016, 21:41

I wonder if EverQuest is next?
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older