PC Destiny Still Possible

GameSpot quotes Christopher Barrett of Bungie about future plans for Destiny, their console shooter, and along the way he indicates they haven't ruled out the possibility of a PC edition. That would make for another game from Bungie where the PC port came considerably after an original release on a different platform, as PC gamers received ports of Marathon II, Halo, and Halo 2 all well after their times had passed. The comment does not make this sound like a top priority, so we'll have to see if anything comes of it. Here's the part that covers the topic:
Also in our interview today, we asked Barrett if Bungie would ever released Destiny on PC. He said this has not been ruled out, but don't expect it anytime soon. "No updates on that today, but we're always looking at what platforms make sense for Destiny," he explained.
View : : :
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: PC Destiny Still Possible
Jun 19, 2016, 01:27
Re: PC Destiny Still Possible Jun 19, 2016, 01:27
Jun 19, 2016, 01:27

descender wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 13:51:
When Halo 1 was released it basically had zero competition and that was a major reason for it's success and popularity. The epitomes of FPS-Story (Halflife) and FPS-Combat (UT/Q3) were both 2-3 years old at that point. Attempting to compare them is pretty pointless, especially given the rapid advancements in technology around that time period.

You could compare Halo 2 and HL2 (and maybe UT2k4), released in 2004... I'd still pick HL2 every time. HL2 mods CS:S/CS:GO and TF2 are still crazy popular to this day. UT2k4 multiplayer... enough said.

Halo 1-3 won the "console FPS war" in dorm rooms, their success entirely hinged around their multiplayer. Their campaigns got more convoluted and worse with every release... and even Halo 3 multiplayer still didn't really hold a candle to what Q3 Arena/UT were doing 8 years prior. If you think it did, you probably play a lot of console games.

Then Reach came out and Bungie/Halo you knew was dead.

More people would have a favorable opinion of the early Halo franchise if all of the ports to PC weren't such terrible shit.

I can respect that view of history but I disagree. Maybe if Half Life 1/2 launched with a decent out of the box MP component or co-op I would buy that argument, but as thrilling as the campaigns in those games are I don't think the combat scenarios are as interesting or dynamic as most of what is in the Halo series, except for maybe one or two soldier encounters in HL1.

I do/did play a lot of console games, but I play more on PC. I think any Halo is a more complete package than any Half Life or UT and stands on it's own as more than just a good (for a console) shooter, though I understand tastes for certain styles of shooting can be subjective.

Oh and I agree about the ports. Not the place to play those games. If they are what we are talking about then I completely understand the "Haloz overated!" argument. They were titles highly tuned for a specific platform and control method and even if the effort was put in to making them feel right on a m/kb I don't think the rest of the design would ever quite mesh with it.

Jun 18, 2016, 13:51
Re: PC Destiny Still Possible Jun 18, 2016, 13:51
Jun 18, 2016, 13:51

When Halo 1 was released it basically had zero competition and that was a major reason for it's success and popularity. The epitomes of FPS-Story (Halflife) and FPS-Combat (UT/Q3) were both 2-3 years old at that point. Attempting to compare them is pretty pointless, especially given the rapid advancements in technology around that time period.

You could compare Halo 2 and HL2 (and maybe UT2k4), released in 2004... I'd still pick HL2 every time. HL2 mods CS:S/CS:GO and TF2 are still crazy popular to this day. UT2k4 multiplayer... enough said.

Halo 1-3 won the "console FPS war" in dorm rooms, their success entirely hinged around their multiplayer. Their campaigns got more convoluted and worse with every release... and even Halo 3 multiplayer still didn't really hold a candle to what Q3 Arena/UT were doing 8 years prior. If you think it did, you probably play a lot of console games.

Then Reach came out and Bungie/Halo you knew was dead.

More people would have a favorable opinion of the early Halo franchise if all of the ports to PC weren't such terrible shit.

Jun 18, 2016, 11:18
Re: PC Destiny Still Possible Jun 18, 2016, 11:18
Jun 18, 2016, 11:18

When did I defend the Destiny pricing structure? Wouldn't dream of it. I didn't grab Taken King until it was half price.

Bungie didn't brainwash me, they earn't my customer loyalty from Myth:The Fallen Lords onwards, and have only really done me wrong with Destiny which I enjoyed despite the issues. 18 Years is a better win streak than most developers and I think that deserves respect but I understand that some people wouldn't know quality if it sat on their face so that's ok.

People get upset about the pricing of things but take some personal responsibility. Wait for reviews and buy or pass based on how much a product seems worth it to you. Companies charge what the market will hold, they don't put a gun to your head and demand you pre-order.

I also didn't defend Destiny's non existent story or claim Halo's as being amazing, only that it was better than other shooters. I also enjoyed those games you mentioned and while they are all great games with good narrative and characters (mostly) they are all inferior shooters or not even trying to be shooters so I think my point is still valid.

Jun 18, 2016, 07:32
Re: PC Destiny Still Possible Jun 18, 2016, 07:32
Jun 18, 2016, 07:32

Numinar wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 23:53:
Maybe I sound like a deranged Trump supporter or something but I look back at a lifetime of playing and if you asked me to make the desert island choice, and limited to FPS it would definitely be a Bungie Halo.

Na, you just come off as the typical zealot entitled brainwashed ass that you typically find defending Bungie for their money grabbing ways of Destiny. Listen, however you slice what a studio has done in the past you can only judge them by their current actions, and Bungie's current actions is to dry up as many wallets as they can until they move on to their next title, charging almost full price for their half-assed DLC content. It could be Activision doing the money grabbing stuff under the Bungie brand but it's Bungie catching all the flack.

And don't get me started on the Destiny "narrative story" ... also Bungie Halo, while a ok console shooter, doesn't have the greatest story. There have been several other console/pc shooters with coherent narratives far better than Bungie Halo. If you stop inhaling the hype fumes you might see that. Deus Ex ... Bioshock ... Dishonored ... so on

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 2016, 07:43.

Jun 18, 2016, 04:41
Re: PC Destiny Still Possible Jun 18, 2016, 04:41
Jun 18, 2016, 04:41

Numinar wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 23:53:
Some of the set pieces in Half Life are amazing, but I'd never start playing it again after finishing it like I would do with Doom, Heretic or Halo. It's a linear corridor shooter like every PC shooter ever until it's release. It didn't have the co-op, excellent MP, cool vehicle mechanics (which carry over into MP and co-op with sick boarding mechanics) and it definitely doesn't have the awesome sandbox of weapon, enemy and vehicle interaction which helps make every encounter feel fresh. No contest to me and I don't sit around praying to lord Gabe for HL3. Metro and Metro LL did this decade's version of a moody linear FPS already so there is no room for it unless they think of something really fresh.

Preach, brother. It`s one of the great paradoxes of our era that PC people, who are self-proclaimed FPS experts, have written of Halo because of an ancient beef with M$ and their urge to surf the anti-console wave.

I love first Half-Life, second much less so, but still. However, as you say they`re good for one playthrough and that`s that. Their strong suit was great story (H1) and set pieces and innovative physics (H2) - but not combat itself. Halo on the other hand is a liquid, ever-changing sandbox with groundbreaking AI and huge replayability value.

Jun 17, 2016, 23:53
Re: PC Destiny Still Possible Jun 17, 2016, 23:53
Jun 17, 2016, 23:53

jdreyer wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 14:25:
Numinar wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 13:15:
And until Destiny (Glorious mess that it is), Bungie's derivative B grade Sci-fi was still better than valve or anyone else's attempt at a coherent narrative.

LOL. That can only have been written by someone who didn't play HL2. Or Mass Effect for that matter.

Wrong. I have played and enjoyed both of those and many others. I feel very informed on this subject. Maybe I sound like a deranged Trump supporter or something but I look back at a lifetime of playing and if you asked me to make the desert island choice, and limited to FPS it would definitely be a Bungie Halo.

The Half life games are my favourite shooters on PC with a replay count a lot closer to Halo but the story in 2 and the episodes are crap. Good world building and characters granted but that's not a good story.

Mass Effect has a story so bad they needed paid DLC to glue it back together. It's the same derivative sci fi tropes that Halo is built out of, but I think Halo does it better with a lot less wank.

Some of the set pieces in Half Life are amazing, but I'd never start playing it again after finishing it like I would do with Doom, Heretic or Halo. It's a linear corridor shooter like every PC shooter ever until it's release. It didn't have the co-op, excellent MP, cool vehicle mechanics (which carry over into MP and co-op with sick boarding mechanics) and it definitely doesn't have the awesome sandbox of weapon, enemy and vehicle interaction which helps make every encounter feel fresh. No contest to me and I don't sit around praying to lord Gabe for HL3. Metro and Metro LL did this decade's version of a moody linear FPS already so there is no room for it unless they think of something really fresh.

Re: Yeah but, think of the dollars
Jun 17, 2016, 22:34
Re: Yeah but, think of the dollars Jun 17, 2016, 22:34
Jun 17, 2016, 22:34

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 16:00:
Phasenoise wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 15:41:
Awesome, about as timely as making a Warcraft 1 movie after even the World Of Warcraft interest faded to its lowest level.

Just not as profitable.

Total Lifetime Grosses (estimates)
Domestic: $31,191,525 10.0%
+ Foreign: $280,500,000 90.0%
= Worldwide: $311,691,525

For a movie estimated to cost 160mil

A couple things to keep in mind.

1. The $160M doesn't include PnA, so tack on another $50M for that. So total cost is $210M
2. Remember that the studio only gets half the box office receipts, so they need double their outlay to recover the cost of the movie.

So they need $420M just to break even. They're close tho.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jun 17, 2016, 21:00
Re: PC Destiny Still Possible Jun 17, 2016, 21:00
Jun 17, 2016, 21:00

SmyTTor wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 15:19:
I dunno... I kinda thought the main thing that made Bungie famous was being pretty much the only real Mac game developer back in the day...

Marathon was indeed a big Mac title, but I am not sure why you think that is all they did or that they only did Mac games. I loved the Myth games and while Oni wasn't amazing, it was a solid game.

Also Blizzard, Westwood, Maxis etc. Plenty of devs made Mac games.
I'm like the man who single-handedly built the rocket and went to the moon. What was his name? Apollo Creed?

Jun 17, 2016, 18:35
Re: PC Destiny Still Possible Jun 17, 2016, 18:35
Jun 17, 2016, 18:35

SmyTTor wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 15:19:
I dunno... I kinda thought the main thing that made Bungie famous was being pretty much the only real Mac game developer back in the day...

As far as I can tell they were the first ones to have an AI system that could actually loose sight of the player in an FPS shooter (halo 1). I went to a developer talk at a conference and they covered the line of site AI system they were using.

Thief series did this too, but it was cool to see it in a fast pace shooter.

Jun 17, 2016, 18:07
Re: PC Destiny Still Possible Jun 17, 2016, 18:07
Jun 17, 2016, 18:07

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 14:38:
There are things that happened and we played through that no longer exist in the game, they are now lore, as in "remember back in year one when this happened" People who are jumping in now missed out on those things and will never get to experience them.

Like what? Could you give any examples?

Re: Yeah but, think of the dollars
Jun 17, 2016, 17:36
Re: Yeah but, think of the dollars Jun 17, 2016, 17:36
Jun 17, 2016, 17:36

Still waiting for it, but will they do it? Feels like they've pulled a Rockstar and kinda dangled the carrot out there since release.

I had so much fun with the game on release though. Especially after The Division failed long-term to capture the same magic.

Yeah but, think of the dollars
Jun 17, 2016, 16:00
Yeah but, think of the dollars Jun 17, 2016, 16:00
Jun 17, 2016, 16:00

Phasenoise wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 15:41:
Awesome, about as timely as making a Warcraft 1 movie after even the World Of Warcraft interest faded to its lowest level.

Just not as profitable.

Total Lifetime Grosses (estimates)
Domestic: $31,191,525 10.0%
+ Foreign: $280,500,000 90.0%
= Worldwide: $311,691,525

For a movie estimated to cost 160mil
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

Jun 17, 2016, 15:41
Re: PC Destiny Still Possible Jun 17, 2016, 15:41
Jun 17, 2016, 15:41

Jun 17, 2016, 15:33
Re: PC Destiny Still Possible Jun 17, 2016, 15:33
Jun 17, 2016, 15:33

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 14:38:
There is and there isn't. The game world is evolving and changes a little with each DLC. There are things that happened and we played through that no longer exist in the game, they are now lore, as in "remember back in year one when this happened" People who are jumping in now missed out on those things and will never get to experience them. Could really care less about having some shovel fed long story, game gives you a basic concept, a reason for being there and an awesome sandbox to play in with some of the best mechanics in the industry. Haters gonna hate, I've had great time playing this game and am looking forward to many more hours of fun in the Destiny universe.... but for now it's back to GTA, got me an empire to build!

Ok, gotcha. Thanks. Sometimes minor things early on in an epic style story can lead to major events later in it (Babylon 5, for example). Would hate to miss out in something like that if the game is worth getting. That's mainly my completionist side talking though.

Jun 17, 2016, 15:19
Re: PC Destiny Still Possible Jun 17, 2016, 15:19
Jun 17, 2016, 15:19

Jun 17, 2016, 15:14
Re: PC Destiny Still Possible Jun 17, 2016, 15:14
Jun 17, 2016, 15:14

Avus wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 14:56:
This is 2016... Why do i desire for a console FPS port to PC?? Destiny is definitely not a console game I am desire to play in PC.... This honor should go to Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption 2 (if there is one in making. Bungie game can take for LONG number for my desire list...

Because some of them are actually good? (not saying Destiny is one of them)

Jun 17, 2016, 15:09
Re: PC Destiny Still Possible Jun 17, 2016, 15:09
Jun 17, 2016, 15:09

Such a shame Bungie let their superb talents go to waste on this mediocre game.

Never played Marathon (Mac, ugh) but it gets constant praise. Myth is still one of my favourite PC games, Oni was a blast and Halo a 10/10 revelation. Now, a grindy online-only FPS. Depressing.

Jun 17, 2016, 15:04
Re: PC Destiny Still Possible Jun 17, 2016, 15:04
Jun 17, 2016, 15:04

jdreyer wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 14:31:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 13:48:
My PS4 name is "Fistin" and if you type that in, you get the following:
FISTINYOURMOM
FISTIN12243254
YOURMOMFISTIN
FISTINLAOOZA
1000 players down later..
FISTIN

What kind of garbage is that? Oh wait.. CONSOLES. RIGHT.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
*wipes tears*

Okay, I see what you were going for with Fistin, kind of like Tristin or something. But c'mon dude! Fistin, fisting, you didn't see that coming?

In Games I go by certain aliases:
Fistin - Pretty much all FPS games/RPGs and it's a play on words between fisting and fighting.
Village Idiot - Old school, this was UO/EQ/Vanilla WOW Days.
Tipsy McStagger - Highschool nickname that never went away.. not used very often in gaming anymore.

Anyways, console player searches do not bring exact searches first.. they don't filter for the word first and then everything else. It's actually better to be Fistin312354325 than it is to be me.

It's quite painful to play destiny style games where you need an invite, so painful that I started running the raids so people wouldn't have to look for me.

Jun 17, 2016, 14:56
Re: PC Destiny Still Possible Jun 17, 2016, 14:56
Jun 17, 2016, 14:56

This is 2016... Why do i desire for a console FPS port to PC?? Destiny is definitely not a console game I am desire to play in PC.... This honor should go to Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption 2 (if there is one in making. Bungie game can take for LONG number for my desire list...

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2016, 15:04.
“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

Jun 17, 2016, 14:40
Re: PC Destiny Still Possible Jun 17, 2016, 14:40
Jun 17, 2016, 14:40

ItBurn wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 11:17:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 17, 2016, 11:03:
Anybody that wanted to play Destiny, most likely already did on the consoles.
I don't see the point of releasing this game on the PC years after it's initial release.
Just keep your pocket change Bungie and erect a few more DLC instead of half assed pc port. It will probably be more profitable

I probably would have played the game if it had been on PC long ago, but I'm never going to buy a new console just for a game... I've had more great PC games to play than I have time to play them anyway. I wouldn't buy it if they released it now because it's too little too late. I'm going to encourage other companies who treat PC gamers better. Like others said, I won't be missing much anyway.

Man... I have only ever purchased a console for one game... Super Mario, Sonic, Soul Calibur, Not sure on the more recent (~15 years) systems, but then Bloodborne... : )
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older