Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Marshmallow is in use on 10.1% of all Android devices Jun 9, 2016, 03:36 MeanJim

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 15:53:
I would do 2 things.
You might try wiping the cache partition
Or do a clean install and only reinstall the apps you need.

Doing the above has solved lockup/crash/spontaneous reboot issues on my tablet. good luck

I've already been through that on the Google Nexus forums, the cache partition is not the problem since my tablet has had Marshmallow since the day I got it. I literally took it out of the box and it updated to 6.0.1. I then did a factory reset to make sure it was clean after the update.

I posted about it on the Nexus forums and nothing fixes it except turning WiFi off when I'm not using it. Many others have replied with the same problem after the update to Android 6. They've tried clearing the cache partition and it doesn't fix it. A few said they have flashed back to Android 5 and the problem goes away, so it's clearly something wrong with Android 6.

Here is a screen shot I took while testing it. I charged it fully, took it off charge and let it sit several hours with WiFi off. I then turned on WiFi and let it sit for several more hours. You can see that the first several hours it didn't lose any battery, then the next few hours it steadily lost power down to 73% when the tablet was not in use. This was on a clean install of Android 6 with no apps installed or running.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 8, 2016, 18:53 4D-Boxing

jdreyer wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 13:14:
Blue wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 12:39:
Beamer wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 11:28:
We don't have substitutes for smartphones.

We don't need any, we already all have smartphones, which is why their growth is falling off. For the smartphone industry to sustain the way it's operated in the past we'd need to find an undiscovered continent/planet of new potential customers.

Yup, still rocking a Samsung Galaxy S4. With a 1.5Ghz proc, and a 5" 1080P screen, I see no reason to get anything else until it dies. That could take years. Also my carrier is Ting, a reseller of Sprint and T-Mob. Costs me about $40 per month for 2 phones, since my devices are already paid for and with Ting you only pay for what you use, combined. I'm about to use my daughter's phone for another $6/month.

Rockin a Nokia 520 here lol. Actually upgrading to an unlocked Huawei P6 soon... i know..i know..but, its small and looks ok. My cell is for calls, texts, gps and the odd time i'll need to look up something while shopping or socializing. I use my HP 608 G1 8" tablet for mobile computing, surfing etc daily & at home on the couch, bed etc. No need for a laptop, only my overkill OC'd sli desktop for the good stuff...

Like someone said, the market has matured like on the PC side but, cells wear out faster due to mobility. The so called "killer app" type scenarios like on PC to encourage purchases or upgrades will happen etc.

Anyways, processing power is still far from having reached the level required for one device to completely phase out another.

14. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 8, 2016, 17:24 Steele Johnson

My phone is almost 2 generations old and still runs the apps that I use just fine. My pc is almost 5 years old (even the gfx card) and still runs current games at an acceptable frame rate.

The issue is that there's nothing interesting with hardware that causes programmers to do something new and different for the average consumer. You're limited to what the hardware can do. 3D games, spreadsheets, word processors, video editing, audio editing, media players, CAD programs, all have been around for a long time. Not to mention that most productivity apps run in a browser now.

I'm thinking that we really need a whole new paradigm shift, like really pushing towards quantum computers and things like AR to create another hardware/software bubble. Otherwise, we'll continues to make the same apps over and over again with just different features.

13. Re: Marshmallow is in use on 10.1% of all Android devices Jun 8, 2016, 15:53 RedEye9

jimnms wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 15:32:
Marshmallow is bugged as fuck on tablets. I updated my Nexus 7 and it will lose 35% battery in sleep mode over night. If you look at the battery history meter, it continues to use battery at the same rate as when it's awake. On the Nexus forums, there are many theories as to what is going on, from apps not letting the tablet sleep, to the OS thinking it's a phone and not disabling certain things. It's obviously not turning off WiFi, even though I can see it disconnect from my router because turning off WiFi it only loses 3% overnight. Turning off WiFi and following some other advice found on the forums and disabling app's access to phone and SMS cut that down to 0% overnight.

I am experiencing the exact opposite. Much better battery life on my Nexus 7(2013) model.
I have a noise app I frequently use for white noise, 2-3 hours a night (Relax M.P.). I wake up to 80% or more charge.

I would do 2 things.
You might try wiping the cache partition
Or do a clean install and only reinstall the apps you need.

Doing the above has solved lockup/crash/spontaneous reboot issues on my tablet. good luck

Vaccines Cause Immunity
“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

12. Marshmallow is in use on 10.1% of all Android devices Jun 8, 2016, 15:32 MeanJim

Marshmallow is bugged as fuck on tablets. I updated my Nexus 7 and it will lose 35% battery in sleep mode over night. If you look at the battery history meter, it continues to use battery at the same rate as when it's awake. On the Nexus forums, there are many theories as to what is going on, from apps not letting the tablet sleep, to the OS thinking it's a phone and not disabling certain things. It's obviously not turning off WiFi, even though I can see it disconnect from my router because turning off WiFi it only loses 3% overnight. Turning off WiFi and following some other advice found on the forums and disabling app's access to phone and SMS cut that down to 0% overnight.  

MeanJim on Steam

11. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 8, 2016, 13:55 SlimRam

• Apple's Siri calls ambulance for baby.

• I can pretty much see how this would go if I was having a heart attack and tried to use my I-phone.

Me:"Siri, call 911!"

Siri:"Did you mean query 9/11?"

Me:"Siri, CALL THE FUCKING POLICE!!"

Siri:"Now searching for Police that are fucking."

Me:"Siri, God dammit, I need help!"

Siri:"Please don't curse at me.I'm always here to help."

*Clutching chest and yelling* "Siri, you miserable HOOKER!"

Siri:"I am an I-phone, not a hooker. Would you like for me to do a search for a number for hookers?"

Me weakly:"yes...please...call...a...hooker...or...anyone" *Farts and passes out*

10. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 8, 2016, 13:30 Beamer

We don't need any, we already all have smartphones, which is why their growth is falling off. For the smartphone industry to sustain the way it's operated in the past we'd need to find an undiscovered continent/planet of new potential customers.

Yup. And, well, I mean, there is still kind of an undiscovered continent - India is about 25% penetrated, Africa well below that, ha! Of course, the growth there will be in $25 smartphones.

But, what he was referring to, I believe, was all the "PCs are Dead" articles. PCs were dying for a few reasons:

• Technology was stagnating, so there was less need to upgrade and the upgrade cycle slowed

• Prices were falling, so new PCs cost less than the ones they were replacing

• New products were replacing PCs. People were spending their money, and doing their webs browsing, on laptops, tablets, and phones

• Some of this is true for smartphones. The technology is absolutely stagnating, as the processing power is insane, but people still want new. The cameras have been increasing exponentially and will hopefully continue to do so, and I still feel like the OSs seem to require that power, even though I have no clue what they use them for (every iOS and Android device I've used feels more sluggish after 2 years than my WP8.1 devices did after that period, but WP8.1 is dead and WM10 always feels sluggish.) At some point the craze to upgrade will die, but we have a while. The bigger concern is that phones went from $200 every 2 years to $700-800 every 2 years, which will slow people down (even though they pay less for the phone in the long run.)

Prices are falling, too. Galaxies and iPhones may stay $600+, but the tier just below flagship is plummeting in price as companies like Huawei enter the market. Now that it's more out of pocket, people will gravitate to the almost-as-good cheaper phones, or to last year's flagship, which is 85% the power for 40% the price.

But, for the substitute, there are none. No device is replacing the smartphone. So, where the PC was losing ground to devices people used for similar things, the smartphone has no competitor right now. It's market may be entering the mature part of the innovation curve, but it isn't in the decline part, and won't be for quite some time.

What remains to be seen is who dies in the mature part of the innovation curve. LG, HTC, Sony, Moto/Lenovo, etc., are all very, very vulnerable.

-------------
    Music for the discerning:
    http://www.deathwishinc.com
    http://www.hydrahead.com
    http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 8, 2016, 13:17 jdreyer

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 13:02:

I suspect though that smartphone will reach an equilibrium/maintenance volume quite a bit higher than for PCs, simply because smartphones experience a lot more wear and tear. Smartphones get dropped, get lost, get stolen, have their batteries wear out, etc.

I accidentally ran over my Gal 4. It broke the camera lens, but was otherwise fine. I was surprised at how tough they actually are.

Also, between Lifesaver cases and milspec phones like the Gal S7 Active, there are options to keep your phone from breaking.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 8, 2016, 13:14 jdreyer

Yup, still rocking a Samsung Galaxy S4. With a 1.5Ghz proc, and a 5" 1080P screen, I see no reason to get anything else until it dies. That could take years. Also my carrier is Ting, a reseller of Sprint and T-Mob. Costs me about $40 per month for 2 phones, since my devices are already paid for and with Ting you only pay for what you use, combined. I'm about to use my daughter's phone for another $6/month.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 8, 2016, 13:13 NegaDeath

If Mars needs women maybe they need smartphones too?

The REAL reason for Mars missions. [/conspiracy][/X-Files theme]

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 8, 2016, 13:02 Scottish Martial Arts

I suspect though that smartphone will reach an equilibrium/maintenance volume quite a bit higher than for PCs, simply because smartphones experience a lot more wear and tear. Smartphones get dropped, get lost, get stolen, have their batteries wear out, etc.

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 8, 2016, 12:39  Blue 

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
    Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 8, 2016, 12:25 HorrorScope

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 10:52:
    Smartphones are dying.

What comes around goes around.

Ha!

Except, y'know, when people say PC sales are dying, it's because they're declining as substitutes are rising rapidly. We don't have substitutes for smartphones.

It's all part of our insanity. It's all wall street based so only emerging markets count. It hardly cares about mature markets.

Someone somehow thought a $600 dollar device would be perpetually disposable every year and people would continue to flock to it? What case study were they basing that on? Like PC's, all tech once you get to a point you are satisfied, people are going to slow down upgrading and spend money at other more pressing needs.

It's still a wonderful market imo, a device you can't see a day at this time when people won't need it. Most people will upgrade every few years. Deal with those revenue numbers, they are still gaudy.

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 8, 2016, 11:28 Beamer

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 10:52:
    Smartphones are dying.

Ha!

Except, y'know, when people say PC sales are dying, it's because they're declining as substitutes are rising rapidly. We don't have substitutes for smartphones.

-------------
    Music for the discerning:
    http://www.deathwishinc.com
    http://www.hydrahead.com
    http://www.painkillerrecords.com

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 8, 2016, 11:14 descender

It would be nice of the desktop PC industry to hurry up and finish not dying before other technologies get in line behind it to not die.  

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 8, 2016, 10:52 HorrorScope

Smartphones are dying.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 ] Older >