Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Blood Kickstarter Possible

Twin Galaxies tweets about this post floating the possibility of Kickstarting a revival of Blood, the Build-engine first-person shooter released by Monolith in 1997 (thanks Janic). Monolith Founder Jace Hall, who has been working with Twin Galaxies for a while now, is polling interest in such a project. The first hurdle standing in the way of such a revival would be untangling the rights to the IP, and Jace outlines where they stand before mysteriously saying they are still somewhat of a puzzle. Here's a bit that covers that and his pitch:

For those that don't know, Blood is a first-person shooter video game developed by a company I founded called Monolith Productions and published by GT Interactive Software. The shareware version was released for the PC on March 5, 1997, while the full version was released on May 31, 1997 in North America, and June 20, 1997 in Europe.

Many feel that Blood was easily the best of the three major Build engine games, voicing the opinion that Blood was "one of the most underrated shooters of the whole decade” and that “Blood took its gameplay to sophisticated new heights and offered referential overtones with an even greater degree of refinement (than other similar games of the period.)"

For this feeling and opinion to last nearly 20 years through generations of gamers is a fantastic testament to the talent of everyone who was involved with bringing the game into existence.

So anyway, I started to wonder if perhaps there might be enough interest out there in seeing this truly revived?

Perhaps its multiplayer BLOODBATH could even evolve to an eSport! ;)

Maybe someone should start a crowd funding campaign to gauge and prove interest?

You see, Monolith sold the publishing rights for Blood and its sequel to GT Interactive. GTI was later acquired by Infogrames, which has since been renamed to Atari. Over the last 15 years, Atari has been divided, bought, sold and reconfigured numerous times. Monolith itself was acquired by Warner Bros. Entertainment, which now theoretically owns the Blood trademark and intellectual property.

But the truth is that the rights status and the entire history are a bit complex and basically there are around 3 people on Earth who truly understand that complexity, none of which are currently at Atari or WB.

Since it is my name and signature that is on all the Blood related contracts and deals - assuming a large enough crowd funding effort, I know I could help move the needle on this. But do enough people care?

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: etc., etc. Jun 7, 2016, 04:32 Luke

Yet another begger on the move Book  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: etc., etc. Jun 7, 2016, 03:51 jdreyer

Tachikoma wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 15:59:
Blood was as great as Shogo was dull.

Still, couldn`t care less about another nostalgiophilliac money grab. Will this wave of laziness never end? Are they gonna remake the remakes when they eventually run out of corpses?

You must be new to this planet. Remakes are what make the media world go 'round: plays, music, movies, TV, etc.

Welcome, Alien .

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

25. Re: etc., etc. Jun 6, 2016, 15:59 Tachikoma

Blood was as great as Shogo was dull.

Still, couldn`t care less about another nostalgiophilliac money grab. Will this wave of laziness never end? Are they gonna remake the remakes when they eventually run out of corpses?

24. Re: etc., etc. Jun 6, 2016, 15:58 nin

Task wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 15:56:
Never heard of Blood, is that bad?

So in my quest to see if it's on GoG, I found something called - "Blood: One Whole Unit Blood" with Doom like graphics. I assume that's the one.

Duke3d, but yeah...

23. Re: etc., etc. Jun 6, 2016, 15:57 ItBurn

Task wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 15:56:

So in my quest to see if it's on GoG, I found something called - "Blood: One Whole Unit Blood" with Doom like graphics. I assume that's the one.

Yup.

22. Re: etc., etc. Jun 6, 2016, 15:56 Task

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

21. Re: Blood Kickstarter Possible Jun 6, 2016, 15:41 ItBurn

jdreyer wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 15:31:
Necrophob wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 12:37:
I loved playing Blood coop and deathmatch. As long as the new game would be like the first Blood, and nothing like the abortion that was Blood 2.

So Blood:New Blood as Doom:Doom 4?

Doom 4 did a lot of things right, but I don't want the new Blood to be like Doom 4.
- I don't want constant glory kills. They slow things down and removes that satisfying one-shot kill that Blood does so well.
- I want more open levels. Doom 4 had few of them, classic Doom and Blood were almost made exclusively of them.
- I don't want predictable constant door-locking arena battles with respawning enemies. Enemies should be all over the place and respawning should be rare as it's very cheap and lazy.
- I want more than 10 enemies on screen at once.
- The game needs to have the pushing, bouncing and sliding physics of classic Blood, which are entirely missing from Doom 4 and add so much fun.

20. Re: Blood Kickstarter Possible Jun 6, 2016, 15:31 jdreyer

Necrophob wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 12:37:
I loved playing Blood coop and deathmatch. As long as the new game would be like the first Blood, and nothing like the abortion that was Blood 2.

So Blood:New Blood as Doom:Doom 4?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

19. Re: Blood Kickstarter Possible Jun 6, 2016, 15:18 Pr()ZaC

ItBurn wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 13:15:
I think that if a new Blood came out, I would actually shed tears of joy. It's a tough road ahead though, because as Jace says, the game was a testament to the talent of everyone who was involved. Would be hard to get such a team together.

Check out my Blood maps if the website ever comes back to life: maps
Damn you!
Now I'll have to put on hold my second play-through of Divinity...
Computer

18. Re: Blood Kickstarter Possible Jun 6, 2016, 13:15 ItBurn

I think that if a new Blood came out, I would actually shed tears of joy. It's a tough road ahead though, because as Jace says, the game was a testament to the talent of everyone who was involved. Would be hard to get such a team together.

Check out my Blood maps if the website ever comes back to life: maps

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 2016, 13:46.

17. Re: Blood Kickstarter Possible Jun 6, 2016, 13:09 Manhs

Why are you negative ?
BLOOD has still an active community who made awesome maps, like pro for a lot of them, better than a lot of nextgen generic fps who are just straight.
BLOOD was underrated but the community and a lot of websites still like this game a lot, the gameplay is awesome and not just run&gun, it can be pretty tactic, depending of the type of the enemy.
But the best is the atmosphere and the ost, who is very unique and original.
Being nihilist on a game is not nice, just because it's retro and so known. A lot of game are like unknown but better than a lot of others, it needs just some help and others.
BLOOD is a very solid game with an atmosphere who is coherent.

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 2016, 13:32.

16. Re: Blood Kickstarter Possible Jun 6, 2016, 12:37 Necrophob

15. Re: Blood Kickstarter Possible Jun 6, 2016, 12:15 Cutter

Why waste time/money on IP when you can simply do an homage? Sounds more like they want everyone else to pay so they can get their property back - and they already sold it once. Um no.

"Put the pick in there, Pete, and turn it round real neat."

14. Re: Blood Kickstarter Possible Jun 6, 2016, 11:54 Pr()ZaC

Jagacademy wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 11:44:
This game was "meh" at best, and wasn't even very successful. Most people who were gaming in this era wouldn't even have Blood show up if they did a "Top 100" list.

This game simply doesn't need a reboot.
I disagree.
It was DN3D fun and original, and I'll certainly back it.

13. Re: Blood Kickstarter Possible Jun 6, 2016, 11:44 Jagacademy

This game was "meh" at best, and wasn't even very successful. Most people who were gaming in this era wouldn't even have Blood show up if they did a "Top 100" list.

This game simply doesn't need a reboot.

12. Re: Blood Kickstarter Possible Jun 6, 2016, 11:43 Wookiestick

Hell yes, would love to see this happen!  

Love thy wookie.

11. Re: Blood Kickstarter Possible Jun 6, 2016, 11:40 |RaptoR|

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 10:08:
So long as it has a soundtrack by Type O Negative.

I'm sure you're aware, but just incase you didn't know... Peter Steele passed away in 2010.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Steele

Playing: Overwatch, Black Ops 4, Forza Horizon 4, Forza 7
Xbox Live: Heinekev
PSN: Heinekev

10. Re: Blood Kickstarter Possible Jun 6, 2016, 11:38 Acleacius

Wait, now I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong. BUT...Iirc Blood was a 3D Realms game, nearly if not complete which was sold to Monolith. Monolith basically just released a completed game, which is why Blood 2 sucked so much. Monolith didn't have the talent ATT, to do it in the first place.

Now I'm not saying Monolith doesn't/never had talented people. The very existence of NOLF proves they did (do?), but they abandoned it too.

Wait, didn't they abandon NOLF for freaking FEAR crap? Uggh..think I'm going to be sick, for just remembering the abandonment. Puke Stab

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

9. Re: Blood Kickstarter Possible Jun 6, 2016, 11:34 Total-Khaos

sauron wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 11:32:
VaranDragon wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 10:48:
I live, again...

Beat me to it - I was just about to post the same thing.

I was going to go with...

"I'll have a BLT, that's a lettuce, tomato, and blood sandwich. Hold the mayo, huh? HA HA HA!"

8. Re: Blood Kickstarter Possible Jun 6, 2016, 11:32 sauron

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 10:48:
I live, again...

Beat me to it - I was just about to post the same thing.

Kittens!

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo