Out of the Blue

As happens every year on this day, all I can do on the anniversary of D-Day is marvel at the various amazing aspects of the Allied invasion of Europe during World War II. The mind-boggling logistics involved are hard enough to fathom, but whenever my movie-inspired imagination allows me to wonder what it must have been like to be among those storming the beaches, my brain starts to lock up. It is pretty much impossible for me to fathom the courage under fire this would take.

D-Day Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Lego Jurassic World.
Link: Five Crazy Made-Up Drugs From Video Games.
Stories: Norway reportedly agrees on banning new sales of gas-powered cars by 2025. Thanks HARDOCP
McShane Keen For "Deadwood" Return. Same here.
Media: SUPERHOT (REACT- Gaming).
Scientist attacked by a giant land snail in Madagascar.
Apparently The Greatest Airbag Crisis In History Is Upon Us. Airbaggedon.
The Funnies: Theater Rep - FoxTrot.
Dilbert Comic Strip.
View : : :
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Jun 8, 2016, 13:07
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2016, 13:07
Jun 8, 2016, 13:07

BobBob wrote on Jun 7, 2016, 09:57:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 7, 2016, 04:40:
My coworker had an accident a couple of weeks ago, she rear-ended someone. Her airbag failed to deploy in her 10 year old Honda. Luckily, she was wearing a seatbelt, and wasn't driving that fast, so she didn't get seriously injured (although Dr. made her take a week off for bed rest for her bruises and neck). Not sure if she's going to sue or not, but she probably wouldn't have missed any work at all if the airbag had deployed.

Was she at fault for rear ending the other driver? Or was that the malfunctioning airbag's fault?

Oh, she was at fault for the rear-ending, but people do stupid things, that's why airbags exist: to protect us from our own stupidity. That's why the devices are mandated by federal law, to prevent lost time and money both personally and to society in general.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jun 7, 2016, 09:57
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 7, 2016, 09:57
Jun 7, 2016, 09:57

jdreyer wrote on Jun 7, 2016, 04:40:
My coworker had an accident a couple of weeks ago, she rear-ended someone. Her airbag failed to deploy in her 10 year old Honda. Luckily, she was wearing a seatbelt, and wasn't driving that fast, so she didn't get seriously injured (although Dr. made her take a week off for bed rest for her bruises and neck). Not sure if she's going to sue or not, but she probably wouldn't have missed any work at all if the airbag had deployed.

Was she at fault for rear ending the other driver? Or was that the malfunctioning airbag's fault?

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

Jun 7, 2016, 08:28
nin

Re: Out of the Blue Jun 7, 2016, 08:28
Jun 7, 2016, 08:28
 nin

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 7, 2016, 03:35:
Eh? Erm...not everyone is Arya Stark or Briene of Tarth.

No, but she was seen with them later in the episode. She choose not to just sit on her throne.

Jun 7, 2016, 04:40
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 7, 2016, 04:40
Jun 7, 2016, 04:40

To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jun 7, 2016, 03:35
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 7, 2016, 03:35
Jun 7, 2016, 03:35

nin wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 11:04:
HoSpanky wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 10:58:
descender wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 10:32:
I could watch Ian McShane deliver monologues all goddamn day... and he was totally shown up in "his episode" by a 10 year old girl.

Sorry, a 10 year old BEAR BEAST WOMAN who is not to be trifled with. :p

Yeah, the little girl was the best part of that episode. Looks like she may not be a one-episode character, either, as she showed up for a moment near the end.

If we get to see her actually fight, it's gonna be awesome...

Eh? Erm...not everyone is Arya Stark or Briene of Tarth. The show works hard to make you think they are, but that's hollywood for you. Even though magic is slowly returning to the world of Game of Thrones, people are still just regular people and nearly all of them will end up like the friendly, swearing septon of the seven...So no I hope she doesn't end up fighting because that's just action TV especially now that we've mostly moved away from the books and dialogues have begun to suffer.

Jun 6, 2016, 20:21
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2016, 20:21
Jun 6, 2016, 20:21

It truly is incredible - I've always been interested in military history, and this incredible day (and the ones that followed) are truly stuff of legend. Stephen Ambrose does a good job gathering together a lot of the different factors that had to come together in "D-Day" - well worth reading if you're interested.

I am finally getting a chance to go to Normandy in September - it will truly be an honor to visit.

Jun 6, 2016, 18:01
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2016, 18:01
Jun 6, 2016, 18:01

Future generations will have no fear as they expect to respawn.

Jun 6, 2016, 17:29
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2016, 17:29
Jun 6, 2016, 17:29
 Cutter

BobBob wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 17:18:
Cutter wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 12:21:
You know, I really like a lot of how Norway governs. If it wasn't for how far north it is and the - complex - language barrier I'd have really considered moving there long ago.

No thanks. I need my warm winters!

It's all relative. Winters in Norway are balmy compared to Antarctica.
"If you're going through Hell...keep going."
- Winston Churchill

Re: Hard Drive Problems
Jun 6, 2016, 17:27
Cutter

Re: Hard Drive Problems Jun 6, 2016, 17:27
Jun 6, 2016, 17:27
 Cutter

Dirty Butler wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 16:13:
My grandfather was on Omaha Beach for D-Day. He wanted to see Saving Private Ryan when it came out and ended up writing Spielberg a letter telling him just how close he came to reenacting the invasion. The only thing he said that was really off was just how loud it was, I can't even imagine. Spielberg actually wrote him back, thanking him, it was very cool.

Chaotic as it was at least people were running and hiding and stuff. Could you imagine being in one of those old timey battles with formations and stuff like the Battle of Waterloo? Just marching straight toward the other side while they're lining up their shots. Why are there no historical accounts of soldiers recording their thoughts about those sorts of battles like' Wtf? Is it just me or is this marching into the enemy as one large target to shoot at completely fucking insane? What are the officers on? Who the hell ever thought this is how a war is supposed to be fought?'

Or pre-gun with swords. Standing in a throng of people just stabbing and slashing at everything. Uh thanks, I'll sit this one out and join in on the next war.

Fuck, war just shows how insane mankind really is.
- Winston Churchill

Jun 6, 2016, 17:18
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2016, 17:18
Jun 6, 2016, 17:18

Cutter wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 12:21:
You know, I really like a lot of how Norway governs. If it wasn't for how far north it is and the - complex - language barrier I'd have really considered moving there long ago.

No thanks. I need my warm winters!

Jun 6, 2016, 16:13
Re: Hard Drive Problems Jun 6, 2016, 16:13
Jun 6, 2016, 16:13

My grandfather was on Omaha Beach for D-Day. He wanted to see Saving Private Ryan when it came out and ended up writing Spielberg a letter telling him just how close he came to reenacting the invasion. The only thing he said that was really off was just how loud it was, I can't even imagine. Spielberg actually wrote him back, thanking him, it was very cool.

Jun 6, 2016, 14:05
Re: Hard Drive Problems Jun 6, 2016, 14:05
Jun 6, 2016, 14:05

jimnms wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 12:31:
hard drive

If it was my hdd i would Unplug that drive NOW.
Every second it is on after it exhibited all of the errors you mention is a free gift from the "I told you it was bad hd gods"

You might be thinking of an article based on backblaze
https://www.backblaze.com/b2/hard-drive-test-data.html
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test. It's a compassion test. It's a decency test. It's a social responsibility test.
Cover Your Eyes for even more protection.

Re: Five Crazy Made-Up Drugs From Video Games
Jun 6, 2016, 13:37
Re: Five Crazy Made-Up Drugs From Video Games Jun 6, 2016, 13:37
Jun 6, 2016, 13:37

Pfft, all they do is bitch about drug addicts being "stigmatized" in games. Guess I should have checked the link instead of assume it'd be something mildly researched and interesting from Cracked or wherever.

Re: etc., etc.
Jun 6, 2016, 13:11
Re: etc., etc. Jun 6, 2016, 13:11
Jun 6, 2016, 13:11

Task wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 10:47:
An interesting period of time to read about. My WW2 book collection grew for many years, but I was morbidly fascinated by all of it - I have memoirs told from perspectives of multiple sides, tombs on specific aircraft or other technology, and any movie I could get my hands (including hard to find foreign imports from Finland and Japan). At the human no one truly wanted to kill another human, but had to given their situations - they describe horrors I never hope to witness. It astonishes me more how leaders on all sides manipulate people to do what is nothing more than legalized murder (which is what one WW1 person had the courage to say) - something that the Smedley Butler touched on as well (who was heroic for telling the truth). It's still sad today to see those truths more relevant than ever since war benefits the few who profit off manipulation and death;. The madness of Imperialism.

Here is an account of Heinrich Severloh: Just a 20 year old kid thrown into the war, he became known as the "Beast of Omaha" and was one of the last Machine Gunners still firing over an insane 9 hours. He and 2 others managed to survive. He later became friends with David Silva much later after the war who was shot on a part of the landing 3 times.

Interesting read Task. Thanks for posting.

Hard Drive Problems
Jun 6, 2016, 12:31
Hard Drive Problems Jun 6, 2016, 12:31
Jun 6, 2016, 12:31

I don't remember the last time I had problems with a HD, but I think my drive is on it's way out. A couple of weeks ago, during a backup I noticed it was taking longer than usual. Then the system froze and I knew it was a HD issue. At first I thought it was with my eSATA dock, this has happened a few times in the past, but looking at the system log it was reporting an error on my main HD not the external drive.

I ran a chkdsk to scan for bad sectors over night since it takes about 4 hours on this 1.5TB drive. It found and marked 3 sectors bad. The files on the bad sectors were in a Steam game, and verifying the files it ended up re-downloading them.

After that I ran the Western Digital diagnostic the next night, it found and corrected errors. I then alternated between chckdsk /b and Western Digital diagnostics until it was no longer reporting errors.

The past few days though I've been getting errors in the event viewer saying the device has a bad block, so I ran chkdsk again last night and it showed no errors.

Just now while Steam was updating a game, Steam reported a write error, and once again the event viewer shows a disk error at the same time Steam had the write error. I restarted the update and it finished, but verifying the files on that game after it was done caused it to re-download 1.4GB, nearly the entire game.

I was already picking parts for a new system, and this is accelerating that process. I wasn't planning to buy a new drive because I have enough space on this drive. I was going to buy a larger SSD to go with this drive, but now I have to pick a new drive for my new system too. I just hope the disk holds up until then.

Wasn't there an article linked here a few weeks or months ago evaluating which consumer drives were most reliable? I think I remember it ranking HGST and WD at the top, but while browsing drives the other day, reviews for every manufacturer seem mixed. Since I'm doing fine with 1.5TB, I was looking at a 2TB replacement, but it looks like 3TB is better in price per TB. I also think I remember the article I was referring to earlier (or it might have been another) that showed reliability dropped in drives over 2TB. So any recommendations?
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Penny Dreadful
Jun 6, 2016, 12:30
Penny Dreadful Jun 6, 2016, 12:30
Jun 6, 2016, 12:30

Enjoying the crap out of Showtimes Penny Dreadful.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test. It's a compassion test. It's a decency test. It's a social responsibility test.
Cover Your Eyes for even more protection.

Jun 6, 2016, 12:21
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2016, 12:21
Jun 6, 2016, 12:21
 Cutter

- Winston Churchill

Jun 6, 2016, 11:31
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2016, 11:31
Jun 6, 2016, 11:31

all I can do on the anniversary of D-Day is marvel at the various amazing aspects of the Allied invasion of Europe during World War II

Same here. I've visited the Normandy beaches, and you can still see parts of the Mulberry harbors they transported all the way there from the English coast. Not to mention all those German bunkers. Just wow.
Kittens!

Jun 6, 2016, 11:24
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2016, 11:24
Jun 6, 2016, 11:24

Where do they find the child actors for this show? They are usually cringe-worthy roles at best in TV shows, but every child actor in GoT is an absolutely incredible performer.

Jun 6, 2016, 11:04
nin

Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2016, 11:04
Jun 6, 2016, 11:04
 nin

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 10:58:
descender wrote on Jun 6, 2016, 10:32:
I could watch Ian McShane deliver monologues all goddamn day... and he was totally shown up in "his episode" by a 10 year old girl.

Sorry, a 10 year old BEAR BEAST WOMAN who is not to be trifled with. :p

Yeah, the little girl was the best part of that episode. Looks like she may not be a one-episode character, either, as she showed up for a moment near the end.

If we get to see her actually fight, it's gonna be awesome...

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older