ARK: Survival Evolved Turns One, Adds Content

This announcement celebrates the first anniversary of the release of ARK: Survival Evolved, saying patch 242 is now live, adding a bunch of new content to the dinosaur survival game, and launching a birthday celebration. This trailer notes the news and shows everything off, and here's a bit on what's going on:
Studio Wildcard, the studio that never sleeps, updated ARK: Survival Evolved for Steam PC today with a slew of diseases (and cures!), a 10-seat Dino Taxi ride to the nearest watering hole, and a new Boss Fighting Pit where a massive dragon likes to come and play. Yes, it’s ARK Dev Update #242 and it’s loaded to the primordial gills with cool stuff!

View the ARK: Survival Evolved Update Event Trailer on YouTube HERE: Youtu.be/SCptFi1elDQ

New and experienced players will enjoy two newly added creatures: Diplodocus, a sturdy slow-moving dinosaur capable of carrying as many as 10 simultaneous players, and the horrific Leech, a nasty disease-carrying blood-sucker that attaches to you en masse.

Alongside these new dinos, the new structure Training Dummy displays floating Damage Per Second values indicating how strong each dino attack actually is, while the new mechanic, Permanent Diseases & Cures, enables players to deliberately infect Dodos to use them as Disease Vectors! If you get a permanent disease, it persists even beyond respawn and you need to cure it with an antidote to get rid of it.

On Thursday, June 2, ARK: Survival Evolved officially turns one year old and to celebrate Studio Wildcard is running a one-week “ARK Birthday Event” where players can find Candles from Supply Crates to craft ARK Birthday Cakes. When each candle is blown out, a special message to the players occurs and exclusive items are gifted, including: player and dino party hats, as well as "Birthday Suits" which make the character appear naked (with censor-pixelization). Then devour the tasty Cake for a major XP buff!

View : : :
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Turns One, Adds Content
Jun 3, 2016, 01:32
Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Turns One, Adds Content Jun 3, 2016, 01:32
Jun 3, 2016, 01:32

justice7 wrote on Jun 2, 2016, 16:18:
Have you guys actually played this game at all to any length? Taken yourself to alpha tribe status or perhaps engaged in a huge War in Ark?

Reading the comments here, clearly none of you have or this game would be seeing some major praise among the EA griping.

I've been waiting for release. I have a couple other EA games like this that I really like, but I don't like all the resets when every new version comes out and decided to wait now until release. I'm sure it's a lot of fun, I believe I even own it, just don't want to get wrapped up with something that can break server world saves etc

Jun 3, 2016, 01:30
Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Turns One, Adds Content Jun 3, 2016, 01:30
Jun 3, 2016, 01:30

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 2, 2016, 15:45:
They keep adding content but the game runs like a fucking pig. I don't give a flying fuck how many dinosaurs they add when you can't even have the clouds going without losing 40fps.

Right and what is the defense? We'll it hasn't been optimized yet because it's in EA, those are the last things you focus on. But Happy Birthday everyone!

Jun 3, 2016, 00:38
Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Turns One, Adds Content Jun 3, 2016, 00:38
Jun 3, 2016, 00:38

I do agree the EA can and is abused by terrible devs but I dont see it in Ark. I personally hate worse games that are released as Done, then the frantic race to try to fix the issues. The division in my mind is still in beta as much as ark is, and worse is fallout 4.
However the label shouldnt matter as much as the actual game to play and ark had won the right to say you would easily get your moneys worth from it. Cant say the same about alot of games Ive played this year.
Where'd the love go?
You guys are starting to sound like a bunch of elderly feminists commentating on a mens only event?
Sorry but Im having trouble visiting the comments section here with so much negativity.

Jun 2, 2016, 21:58
Quboid

Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Turns One, Adds Content Jun 2, 2016, 21:58
Jun 2, 2016, 21:58
 Quboid

clint wrote on Jun 2, 2016, 19:33:
I dont know what you guys are on, the game is still being heavily developed and optimised. What is the difference by saying it is done, then patching it, or saying it is in EA and patching it and putting in heaps of content? It runs perfectly fine on my nvidia 660, and is one of the best looking and content full games around.
The game is huge and high quality by anyones standards and still growing. The game is also cheap.
Why so mad bro?

If they had said this was done a year ago, it would have been slaughtered for being unfinished. Instead, they say it is unfinshed and people throw money at them and excuse every flaw as the nature of unfinished software - which it is, but flaws are also the nature of finished software so excusing everything is naive.

There have been enough complaints about performance in Ark to make me believe that there is a serious problem affecting a large number of players. Will this be fixed? Maybe. It will very likely be improved but it's quite likely that it always have problems. Especially because if you're an Early Access customer, they already have your money. Your opinion and therefore your experience doesn't really matter any more.

That's probably why they keeping adding dinosaurs. People who have paid are having problems but people who haven't are looking at the fancy spaceships dinosaurs and reaching for their wallets.

Jun 2, 2016, 19:33
Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Turns One, Adds Content Jun 2, 2016, 19:33
Jun 2, 2016, 19:33

I dont know what you guys are on, the game is still being heavily developed and optimised. What is the difference by saying it is done, then patching it, or saying it is in EA and patching it and putting in heaps of content? It runs perfectly fine on my nvidia 660, and is one of the best looking and content full games around.
The game is huge and high quality by anyones standards and still growing. The game is also cheap.
Why so mad bro?

Jun 2, 2016, 19:32
Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Turns One, Adds Content Jun 2, 2016, 19:32
Jun 2, 2016, 19:32

I'd like to buy Planet Explorers too but I suspect that will also never reach finished status.

Jun 2, 2016, 17:18
Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Turns One, Adds Content Jun 2, 2016, 17:18
Jun 2, 2016, 17:18

PHJF wrote on Jun 2, 2016, 16:45:
Have you guys actually played this game at all to any length?

Many people here were praising Ark 6+ months ago.

Go back 6 months then and see my comments which were "Finish the fucking game already." As mentioned time again, these guys have yet to *ANY* optimization. This game is all but unplayable on monster rigs. They obviously don't understand that you get the base game made, optimize it THEN add in all the shit you want afterward. At this rate it'll never happen. I so wish I hadn't bought this thing.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Jun 2, 2016, 16:45
PHJF

Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Turns One, Adds Content Jun 2, 2016, 16:45
Jun 2, 2016, 16:45
 PHJF

Have you guys actually played this game at all to any length?

Many people here were praising Ark 6+ months ago.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Jun 2, 2016, 16:18
Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Turns One, Adds Content Jun 2, 2016, 16:18
Jun 2, 2016, 16:18

Have you guys actually played this game at all to any length? Taken yourself to alpha tribe status or perhaps engaged in a huge War in Ark?

Reading the comments here, clearly none of you have or this game would be seeing some major praise among the EA griping.

Jun 2, 2016, 15:55
Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Turns One, Adds Content Jun 2, 2016, 15:55
Jun 2, 2016, 15:55

I don't mind EA at all, but I don't like how Ark does it. If you are doing EA it should be to get feedback from lots of play testers, tweak balance and smash bugs.

The problem with Ark is that it runs terrible. I think I was getting 20fps on my rig which gets around 50fps in Far Cry Primal on Very High detail. It just wasn't enjoyable. EA games need to be enjoyable through the EA process, but too many devs either look at is as a cash grab or look at their users as cheap qa testers.

Jun 2, 2016, 15:45
Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Turns One, Adds Content Jun 2, 2016, 15:45
Jun 2, 2016, 15:45

They keep adding content but the game runs like a fucking pig. I don't give a flying fuck how many dinosaurs they add when you can't even have the clouds going without losing 40fps.

Jun 2, 2016, 15:03
Quboid

Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Turns One, Adds Content Jun 2, 2016, 15:03
Jun 2, 2016, 15:03
 Quboid

Jagacademy wrote on Jun 2, 2016, 14:11:
and most people are done playing them by the time they are "officially" released.

Presumably the online community for many Early Access multiplayer games has peaked before it's even released. That's messed up.

Jun 2, 2016, 14:22
Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Turns One, Adds Content Jun 2, 2016, 14:22
Jun 2, 2016, 14:22

Finish the fucking game already.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Jun 2, 2016, 14:11
Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Turns One, Adds Content Jun 2, 2016, 14:11
Jun 2, 2016, 14:11

"Early Access" is just a joke anymore. They are often in it for years, and most people are done playing them by the time they are "officially" released.

Basically Early Access is just an excuse to sell a buggy mess, players are falling for it in droves, and the developers are laughing all the way to the bank.

Jun 2, 2016, 11:49
Quboid

Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Turns One, Adds Content Jun 2, 2016, 11:49
Jun 2, 2016, 11:49
 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 2, 2016, 10:53:
1 year of EA. It's like the stupid saying of having your cake and eating it to. They want to call it EA because it isn't done, but then want to celebrate as if it's been done for a year.

It's a really damning indictment of their attitude to Early Access that they talk about this being released and slapping themselves on the back for working hard on it.

Ark isn't a year old, it hasn't even been born yet.

Jun 2, 2016, 10:53
Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Turns One, Adds Content Jun 2, 2016, 10:53
Jun 2, 2016, 10:53

1 year of EA. It's like the stupid saying of having your cake and eating it to. They want to call it EA because it isn't done, but then want to celebrate as if it's been done for a year.
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older