Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games

GOG.com unveils GOG.com Connect, which offers customers DRM-free versions of eligible games they previously purchased on Steam at no additional cost. They say other games may become available like this in the future, and they kick things off with a list of 22 games that can be imported if you already own them. This will be permanent, though you have only five days to connect your account and claim your copies. Word is they will offer additional titles in the future: "You'll be able to permanently import all the games listed below to your GOG.com library – assuming you own them. The eligible games are limited-time offers made possible by participating developers and publishers, so stay tuned for more games to come." There is a FAQ noting that you won't get an extra key for games you already own on both services, and that they reserve the right to remove games from your library if they no longer appear in your Steam library, though there's no way to take back downloaded copies of their DRM-free games. Connecting accounts at this time brings up a warning that completing the process may take "up to several days" due to "exceedingly high demand."
View : : :
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games
Jun 4, 2016, 12:32
Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 4, 2016, 12:32
Jun 4, 2016, 12:32

Ya I don't even want to sell the games in my account I haven't played in 7+ years. It's like a hoarding condition.... "Hrmmm I might play this some day. If I (delete/sell) it now I wont be able to play it one time again in the future if I ever have the unlikely desire to!"
Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

Jun 2, 2016, 13:13
Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 2, 2016, 13:13
Jun 2, 2016, 13:13

I won't be selling my games. The moment steam can't make a connection it offers to go offline. It used to be a bit tricky, but now it's transparent.

I am happy that Steam has my stuff, and that I cannot lose it. I'm used to just taking the entire Steam file tree somewhere else, when I play with the hardware, and just firing up Steam to fix that move.

Now I happily run win 10, it's a better game platform than win 7, and put up with all their madness, so Valve is just another managed system to me. No problem so far and I've had a Steam account for a long time.

Jun 2, 2016, 08:05
Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 2, 2016, 08:05
Jun 2, 2016, 08:05

8 games. Not bad.

Jun 2, 2016, 07:30
Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 2, 2016, 07:30
Jun 2, 2016, 07:30

Dev wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 23:39:
Since no one else bothered, here's a list:

Bit Trip Runner
Braid
Breach & Clear
Breach & Clear: Dead Line
Broken Sword: director's cut
FTL Advanced edition
Galactic Civilization 3
Mount & Blade
Project Zomboid
Saints Row 2
Shadowrun Returns
Sherlock Holes: Secret of the silver earring
Incredible adventures of Van Helsing Final Cut
Witcher: Enhanced edition
The Witness
To the moon
Trine Enchanted edition
Two Worlds
Unreal Gold
Unreal Tournament GOTY
vvvvv
xenonauts

Aha, thank you! Looks like I'm missing Project Zomboid and The Witness...

Hmm, wonder how long this takes to start working. I clicked on the button but it didn't seem to add anything to my GOG account. Suppose it's swamped right now...

Jun 2, 2016, 04:36
Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 2, 2016, 04:36
Jun 2, 2016, 04:36

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 18:04:
Ludomancer wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 17:22:
sometime in the last 3 years valve became the unofficial owner of gog. they were really successful in keeping it lowdown. gog should just be considered drm-free steam now. because most people have steam already, the software (steam) tracks (and takes action) with your gog libraries. its bad. i hope posting this lets some more independent, more free individuals verify it publicly.

Drugs much?

The CD Projekt capital group is publicly listed on the Warsaw Stock Exchange. The GOG Ltd. is a subsidiary. So how did Valve sneak their acquisition by all regulation authorities and how did they avoid CDP ad-hoc announcement requirements or all other reporting obligations (like change of ownership etc.) that would be associated with such a move?

If you head to their website you can access all of the relevant docs including shareholder structure. The company is not owned by Valve.

You do win the bullshit award for the first half of 2016 with that story though. How long did it take to come up with that one?

Hey, I don't care where he got the story. What I wanna know is, where did he get the drugs? Cuz that's some pretty potent shit right there.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Jun 2, 2016, 03:54
Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 2, 2016, 03:54
Jun 2, 2016, 03:54

nin wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 16:53:
That, and when you're the biggest, people think it's cool to hate on that...

Yep, it has nothing to do with the fact that you don`t own your shit anymore and that one company dictates the rules... just thirsty 2bcool.

Jun 2, 2016, 03:03
Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 2, 2016, 03:03
Jun 2, 2016, 03:03

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 23:14:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 16:15:
So can someone explain to me exactly why steam is this evil devil of software?

Steam is great...as long as you don't mind not having tech support. Or it being in russian, or them not actually responding to your requests. And the paid mods thing they tried, but otherwise it's still great.

You forgot Steam selling games that won't work without third party patches and the whole way Valve build their monopol by forcing Counter-Strike users into Steam in the first place...

Jun 2, 2016, 00:23
El Pit

Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 2, 2016, 00:23
Jun 2, 2016, 00:23
 El Pit

nin wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 18:51:
sometime in the last 3 years valve became the unofficial owner of gog. they were really successful in keeping it lowdown. gog should just be considered drm-free steam now. because most people have steam already, the software (steam) tracks (and takes action) with your gog libraries. its bad. i hope posting this lets some more independent, more free individuals verify it publicly.

Yeah, and my uncle works at nintendo!

And now we know your last name is Tendo!
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Jun 1, 2016, 23:39
Dev
Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 1, 2016, 23:39
Jun 1, 2016, 23:39
Dev

Since no one else bothered, here's a list:

Bit Trip Runner
Braid
Breach & Clear
Breach & Clear: Dead Line
Broken Sword: director's cut
FTL Advanced edition
Galactic Civilization 3
Mount & Blade
Project Zomboid
Saints Row 2
Shadowrun Returns
Sherlock Holes: Secret of the silver earring
Incredible adventures of Van Helsing Final Cut
Witcher: Enhanced edition
The Witness
To the moon
Trine Enchanted edition
Two Worlds
Unreal Gold
Unreal Tournament GOTY
vvvvv
xenonauts

No subject
Jun 1, 2016, 23:14
No subject Jun 1, 2016, 23:14
Jun 1, 2016, 23:14

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 16:15:
So can someone explain to me exactly why steam is this evil devil of software?

I've never had an issue.. ever.

so what's the beef?

Steam is great...as long as you don't mind not having tech support. Or it being in russian, or them not actually responding to your requests. And the paid mods thing they tried, but otherwise it's still great.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Jun 1, 2016, 23:10
Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 1, 2016, 23:10
Jun 1, 2016, 23:10

El Pit wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 15:33:
It is a good offer by GOG. Of course, GOG gets a lot of information on its customers this way, too, by learning what games the customers bought on Steam instead of GOG and vice versa. This puts GOG in a position to check out the customers' reaction to its price politics and more. Pretty clever.

Definitely! Information, and more properly, the management and use of said information, is definitely the way tech is going... as per https://marco.org/2016/05/21/avoiding-blackberrys-fate

This is a smart move by GOG.

Jun 1, 2016, 23:00
Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 1, 2016, 23:00
Jun 1, 2016, 23:00

Can I get a tool that gives me all my GOG games as Steam copies? No? Too bad

Jun 1, 2016, 21:52
Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 1, 2016, 21:52
Jun 1, 2016, 21:52

Strango wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 17:53:
Creston wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 17:33:
So I'm guessing this requires you to log into their server with your Steam credentials...?
No, you login to Steam's Web API which then grants permission to GOG a list of your owned titles.

Ah sweet. Thanks Strango

Jun 1, 2016, 20:21
Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 1, 2016, 20:21
Jun 1, 2016, 20:21

Strango wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 17:53:
So I'm guessing this requires you to log into their server with your Steam credentials...?
No, you login to Steam's Web API which then grants permission to GOG a list of your owned titles.

To add to this, it requires you have your Steam profile set to public, so they're not getting any information that isn't displayed for everyone to see. The only reason to have you link accounts is so they can verify you really are the owner of both.

Jun 1, 2016, 19:08
Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 1, 2016, 19:08
Jun 1, 2016, 19:08

And you're basing this on... what exactly? Oh, nothing?

See "cool to hate" reference below. Gamer Hipsters, I swear.

Jun 1, 2016, 18:51
nin
Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 1, 2016, 18:51
Jun 1, 2016, 18:51
nin

Yeah, and my uncle works at nintendo!

Jun 1, 2016, 18:22
Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 1, 2016, 18:22
Jun 1, 2016, 18:22

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 17:48:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 17:13:
nin wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 16:53:
That, and when you're the biggest, people think it's cool to hate on that...

I can understand that "cool to hate" mentality..

But do these people even remember what life was like without Steam? When you had to actually wait at EBgames at midnight to even get a copy of a game? How you had to actually scour forums/IRC for new game ideas and then look it up instead of seeing a game on steam going "oh, let's watch their gameplay videos and see how it is".

Also the total lack of shitty boxes and CD clutter gone? I still have a bin of 1995 to ~2007 video game boxes. Half-Life 1 in that orange box in there too.

I don't think that anyone would argue against the increase in convenience from digital distribution. That's missing the point completely.

What people don't like is all the bullshit surrounding it. The inability to sell games, the inability to access your games if your ISP or Steam craps out (a retail copy is "always online"), Steam's ability to alter games you have purchased w/o your consent (e.g. GTA music track removal), region locking and regional pricing bullshit (including censorship issues in some countries), multiplayer shenanigans where you can only play with Steam people and no one else and, of course, copious amounts of spying just to name a few of the issues some people are having with Steam.

As for Steam vs GOG in particular, the awesome advantage of GOG is you can actually download and own your GOG games. You can download an installer that includes the complete game. You can back that up to an internal or external HDD for all eternity. Your games are yours. Your property.
Steam is rent. Your games are bound to your account and you can only access your games through Steam. There is no long term possibility to back up or truly own your games without Steam being required at some point in the process.
A perfect example of this would be the copies of Fallout 1 & 2 that I got when GOG first started. The copies I downloaded contain the Interplay branding, as they were released before Bethesda bought the rights. The copies you can buy from GOG now have the Bethesda branding, but this change did not affect my copies at all. This is why I have 89 games on Steam and 384 games on GOG.

Jun 1, 2016, 18:04
Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 1, 2016, 18:04
Jun 1, 2016, 18:04

Drugs much?

The CD Projekt capital group is publicly listed on the Warsaw Stock Exchange. The GOG Ltd. is a subsidiary. So how did Valve sneak their acquisition by all regulation authorities and how did they avoid CDP ad-hoc announcement requirements or all other reporting obligations (like change of ownership etc.) that would be associated with such a move?

If you head to their website you can access all of the relevant docs including shareholder structure. The company is not owned by Valve.

You do win the bullshit award for the first half of 2016 with that story though. How long did it take to come up with that one?

Jun 1, 2016, 17:53
Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 1, 2016, 17:53
Jun 1, 2016, 17:53

Jun 1, 2016, 17:50
Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 1, 2016, 17:50
Jun 1, 2016, 17:50

Bull. Shit.
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older