Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed

Blizzard tweets about plans to launch competitive play in Overwatch, saying "We'll be introducing our Competitive Play (hopefully) later in July," a change from their previously announced intention to get this going by the end of this month. A later tweet specifies: "We're aiming for mid-to-late July." In related news, Overwatch principle designer Geoff Goodman touches on balance changes for the multiplayer shooter in a couple of replies to a thread on the Overwatch forums on the topic. Blizzard has not discussed balance changes before, and this is not comprehensive, but he does specifically mention the possibility of nerfing McCree and buffing D.Va. This post about D.Va says that she probably need improvements, but based on the nature of the character he says that this is unlikely to be in the form of increased damage, and in this post he discusses corralling everyone's favorite cowboy:
I've been watching McCree carefully since we've released. McCree's flashbang plays an important role in being a strong option against very fast/agile teams (tracers/genjis/etc). It is also a nice tool to prevent close range devastating abilities and ultimates such as Reaper's Death Blossom.

That said, its probably a bit too good at dealing damage to higher health targets such as Tanks and barriers. I don't have any concrete changes yet, but I'm going to be testing some things internally to see how he plays.
View : : :

Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed
Jun 1, 2016, 16:19
Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 16:19
Jun 1, 2016, 16:19

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 08:47:
Blizzard devs can't balance a seesaw so whenever they discuss doing so in their games really makes me concerned.

I find this a little strange, but if you're going to generalize an entire company I'll make an appropriate counter-generalization:

Blizzard is very very good at making games that do NOT have ANY strict balance rules. They are adept at making rock-paper-scissors games -- one set will always destroy another set. It is in that spirit that teams work.

It also makes it more challenging to look at any single class as being overpowered. For example, Bastion might seem OP, but Genji can shred Bastion every time (assuming you know what you're doing of course). Other classes have the "edge" on certain OP classes.

The mistake here is thinking that any single character can have an equal match against any other single character. That's just not true, and never has been.

As I get more involved in Overwatch I am starting to see the angles here and yeah, that's why you can flip characters after deaths. It's pretty easy to counter any one particular character's advantage. The trick is really to do it in a team and maintain the tactical advantage.
Date
Subject
Author
Jun 1, 2016Jun 1 2016
Jun 1, 2016Jun 1 2016
 Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed