Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed

Blizzard tweets about plans to launch competitive play in Overwatch, saying "We'll be introducing our Competitive Play (hopefully) later in July," a change from their previously announced intention to get this going by the end of this month. A later tweet specifies: "We're aiming for mid-to-late July." In related news, Overwatch principle designer Geoff Goodman touches on balance changes for the multiplayer shooter in a couple of replies to a thread on the Overwatch forums on the topic. Blizzard has not discussed balance changes before, and this is not comprehensive, but he does specifically mention the possibility of nerfing McCree and buffing D.Va. This post about D.Va says that she probably need improvements, but based on the nature of the character he says that this is unlikely to be in the form of increased damage, and in this post he discusses corralling everyone's favorite cowboy:
I've been watching McCree carefully since we've released. McCree's flashbang plays an important role in being a strong option against very fast/agile teams (tracers/genjis/etc). It is also a nice tool to prevent close range devastating abilities and ultimates such as Reaper's Death Blossom.

That said, its probably a bit too good at dealing damage to higher health targets such as Tanks and barriers. I don't have any concrete changes yet, but I'm going to be testing some things internally to see how he plays.
View : : :
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed
Jun 2, 2016, 08:21
Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 2, 2016, 08:21
Jun 2, 2016, 08:21

sauron wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 15:34:
Nimh wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 14:05:
sauron wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 12:40:
I thought about getting this, and went back to TF2 to see if I really felt like a team shooter. A couple of hours later, I was all done.

I think I just don't go for them anymore, played too many. Anyhow, doing things this way saved me 40 bucks.

That's pretty damn retarded to be honest. I went back and played Doom 1993 to see if I'd like Doom 2016.. saved me 60 bucks.

Not really. I've played a lot of team shooters, and although Overwatch looks great I think I've had my fill of those mechanics. To each their own.

Also, please don't call something retarded just because you don't agree with it. It makes you look 13 years old, and most of the guys on here are in their 30's and 40's.

You may say.. I don't like multiplayer games, we can respect that. You could also say I don't like FPS games, that's also valid. But the act of choosing a game based on an 8 year old f2p example.. that is rather retarded.

Quality content is quality content. Overwatch is that. Maybe it's not your speed, that's cool. Overwatch is not TF2, by a long shot.

Jun 2, 2016, 06:35
Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 2, 2016, 06:35
Jun 2, 2016, 06:35

I cannot fathom how you would play a high mobility in your face character like Genji or Tracer with a gamepad. For everyone else the slow, stately turning rate seems like it would be a wash but for those two turn rate is kind of important.

Jun 1, 2016, 21:35
Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 21:35
Jun 1, 2016, 21:35

theglaze wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 13:35:
Yifes wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 12:51:
theglaze wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 11:32:
I may consider it when they put in a ranking system for competitive play, not because I'm a hardcore fragger, but because there is a horde of Blizzard fans that only know casual gameplay and are newbs with first-person-shooter dynamics, team tactics, and teamwork via voice comm.

Maybe for consoles, but most PC players would have played some sort of team based shooter like TF2 or CS.

Also, given how matchmaking is skill based, consistently being matched with players who "only know casual gameplay and are newbs with first-person-shooter dynamics" would mean you're just as bad as they are.

I only played the open beta and was paired against opponents that were lvl 20 when I was lvl 3. It was 6 straight matches even with re-queues. Didn't seem like intelligent match making that used skill, level, or overall play time...but hey it was just the beta.

Profile level has nothing to do with the skill level that's used in matchmaking. You may just being using it as a general clue to what their skill level might be but that's usually a mistake. People can play the game all day and still be terrible.

Jun 1, 2016, 21:20
Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 21:20
Jun 1, 2016, 21:20

ZeroPike1 wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 14:39:
One thing I think needs actual addressing is having more then 1 or 2 of the same char at the same time. I ran into a 5-man Torb(Engy) team with an army of sentries to back them up. Only a D. Va Mecha-bomb could stop them as well. I really wonder if Blizz can contain the monster's they unleashed with these heroes. But at least they can see the writing on the wall when one of these characters is really crap, for better or worse.

I came across a Torb team with a Mercy. Widowmaker MVP of the match~

Same thing with the all Bastion match.

Just about everything has a counter, but fuck McCree. Every once in a while on Roadhog I'm able to hook one of those McCree bastards before they get the fan off.

Jun 1, 2016, 18:35
Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 18:35
Jun 1, 2016, 18:35

justice7 wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 12:49:
You're also incorrect, the game plays wonderfully on the console. PC vs Console on Overwatch is entirely subjective. I have played it on PC and Xbox One and I happen to prefer the One's closed environment and level playing field.

I could keep going, just wanted to prove you very wrong. ;p
...I don't think your post proved anything except sharing an opinion that you prefer a lesser experience that is foisted on all players. Which is fine....but hardly firm ground to stand on. The hard truth is that both platforms have their strengths....which is something I'll happily state on whatever-centric site I'm on. Party games or just plain fun group games are always better on consoles. If you were talking about a 3rd person shooter or adventure game...I'll grant you that they are designed for gamepads/controllers (which I have for my PC as well). FPS, MOBA, RTS, etc....for the most part are always better experiences with KB&M. Graphics/sound/loadtimes are almost always beaten by PC unless you're looking at a port that was gimped.

Jun 1, 2016, 16:19
Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 16:19
Jun 1, 2016, 16:19

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 08:47:
Blizzard devs can't balance a seesaw so whenever they discuss doing so in their games really makes me concerned.

I find this a little strange, but if you're going to generalize an entire company I'll make an appropriate counter-generalization:

Blizzard is very very good at making games that do NOT have ANY strict balance rules. They are adept at making rock-paper-scissors games -- one set will always destroy another set. It is in that spirit that teams work.

It also makes it more challenging to look at any single class as being overpowered. For example, Bastion might seem OP, but Genji can shred Bastion every time (assuming you know what you're doing of course). Other classes have the "edge" on certain OP classes.

The mistake here is thinking that any single character can have an equal match against any other single character. That's just not true, and never has been.

As I get more involved in Overwatch I am starting to see the angles here and yeah, that's why you can flip characters after deaths. It's pretty easy to counter any one particular character's advantage. The trick is really to do it in a team and maintain the tactical advantage.

Jun 1, 2016, 15:34
Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 15:34
Jun 1, 2016, 15:34

Nimh wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 14:05:
I thought about getting this, and went back to TF2 to see if I really felt like a team shooter. A couple of hours later, I was all done.

I think I just don't go for them anymore, played too many. Anyhow, doing things this way saved me 40 bucks.

That's pretty damn retarded to be honest. I went back and played Doom 1993 to see if I'd like Doom 2016.. saved me 60 bucks.

Not really. I've played a lot of team shooters, and although Overwatch looks great I think I've had my fill of those mechanics. To each their own.

Also, please don't call something retarded just because you don't agree with it. It makes you look 13 years old, and most of the guys on here are in their 30's and 40's.
Kittens!

Jun 1, 2016, 14:39
Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 14:39
Jun 1, 2016, 14:39

D. Va has an extremely important Ultimate, the Mecha-Bomb. and sometimes its needed to break an enemy defense area. But she is a one trick pony, everything else she does... even I'm not scared of her on the field.

McCree is a dick. I've been slaughtered by that stun effect he has enough times to stay far away from him. But even that is not effective as his ultimate is an auto-aiming one hit kill move.

One thing I think needs actual addressing is having more then 1 or 2 of the same char at the same time. I ran into a 5-man Torb(Engy) team with an army of sentries to back them up. Only a D. Va Mecha-bomb could stop them as well. I really wonder if Blizz can contain the monster's they unleashed with these heroes. But at least they can see the writing on the wall when one of these characters is really crap, for better or worse.

Jun 1, 2016, 14:05
Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 14:05
Jun 1, 2016, 14:05

Jun 1, 2016, 13:51
Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 13:51

theglaze wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 11:42:
Also, I also played this on a PS4 with 5.1 surround sound on a big screen TV...it was a fantastic experience with beautiful and smooth graphics, amazing sound, and the gameplay works great with a gamepad

I play PC on my 70" Sharp TV, connected to my computer, with mouse and keyboard and my Definitive Tech surround sound system. Any shooter with a gamepad makes me feel like I have broken hands.

Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 13:51

Here comes the Blizzard nerf bat...

Jun 1, 2016, 13:36
Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 13:36
Jun 1, 2016, 13:36

Twitter Correction
Competitive play will come out mid-late June, not July.

Source
https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/738044550371893248

Jun 1, 2016, 13:35
Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 13:35
Jun 1, 2016, 13:35

Yifes wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 12:51:
I may consider it when they put in a ranking system for competitive play, not because I'm a hardcore fragger, but because there is a horde of Blizzard fans that only know casual gameplay and are newbs with first-person-shooter dynamics, team tactics, and teamwork via voice comm.

Maybe for consoles, but most PC players would have played some sort of team based shooter like TF2 or CS.

Also, given how matchmaking is skill based, consistently being matched with players who "only know casual gameplay and are newbs with first-person-shooter dynamics" would mean you're just as bad as they are.

I only played the open beta and was paired against opponents that were lvl 20 when I was lvl 3. It was 6 straight matches even with re-queues. Didn't seem like intelligent match making that used skill, level, or overall play time...but hey it was just the beta.

Jun 1, 2016, 13:31
Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 13:31
Jun 1, 2016, 13:31

Jagacademy wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 12:37:
Also, I also played this on a PS4 with 5.1 surround sound on a big screen TV...it was a fantastic experience with beautiful and smooth graphics, amazing sound, and the gameplay works great with a gamepad

I can do the same speakers on a PC, using the same TV as a monitor, with even better graphics, more gameplay options, and aim significantly better with a mouse than the most elite console players. If you're trying to argue the merits of a console vs PC, you will lose everytime.

I was just sharing the console experience because most people here are PC users. Calm down.

Jun 1, 2016, 13:06
Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 13:06
Jun 1, 2016, 13:06

Yea the problem with D.va is that her critical hit 'box' is center mass so while she is supposed to be a tank, she is incredibly easy to burn down by just hitting her there. I've done this with a single clip on Soldier76, an admittedly 'middling' damage dealer. Double this with the fact that her guns do basically no damage beyond a range of ~10 yards and it means she gets creamed in larger maps constantly.

Jun 1, 2016, 13:02
Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 13:02
Jun 1, 2016, 13:02

justice7 wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 12:49:
The same goes for any other game with PvP. Ark for example heavily depends on your rig capabilities/performance to be able to properly pvp in heavy encounters. On console everyone has the same setup and are not able to out Ghz the other guy.

That's not true at all. Overwatch runs great on older systems, and my 7870 is holding up just fine on medium. And given every match is 6v6, there's a low limit on how heavy encounters can get. Unless your computer is ancient, you can't use your rig as an excuse of why you can't pvp properly.

Jun 1, 2016, 12:58
Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 12:58
Jun 1, 2016, 12:58

Yifes wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 11:17:

Well, that is why they're splitting PVP and PVE balancing in Legion.

It's definitely a HUGE step in the right direction and one which should have been introduced back in TBC when they released Arena but I'm still very skeptical that they'll bring all specs to 5 - 10% from top to bottom with those extra layers of balance.

I really want them to prove me wrong because it's frustrating.

Jun 1, 2016, 12:51
Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 12:51
Jun 1, 2016, 12:51

Jun 1, 2016, 12:49
Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 12:49
Jun 1, 2016, 12:49

Jagacademy wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 12:37:

I can do the same speakers on a PC, using the same TV as a monitor, with even better graphics, more gameplay options, and aim significantly better with a mouse than the most elite console players. If you're trying to argue the merits of a console vs PC, you will lose everytime.

Arguing about PC vs Console on a PC Centric website, way to play it extremely safe. You're also incorrect, the game plays wonderfully on the console. PC vs Console on Overwatch is entirely subjective. I have played it on PC and Xbox One and I happen to prefer the One's closed environment and level playing field.

The same goes for any other game with PvP. Ark for example heavily depends on your rig capabilities/performance to be able to properly pvp in heavy encounters. On console everyone has the same setup and are not able to out Ghz the other guy.

Jun 1, 2016, 12:40
Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 12:40
Jun 1, 2016, 12:40

Kittens!
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older