Overwatch Launches

As promised, Overwatch is now live, offering the worldwide launch of Blizzard's new multiplayer shooter. In a couple of related tidbits, PCGamesN has a confirmation that the game's loot boxes will be offered for sale via microtransaction. They also note that in a Facebook Q&A, Jeff Kaplan confirmed that competitive mode will be added by an upcoming update they hope to release by the end of the month. You can keep an eye on the Overwatch website for more details.
View : : :
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Overwatch Launches
May 25, 2016, 08:53
PHJF

Re: Overwatch Launches May 25, 2016, 08:53
May 25, 2016, 08:53
 PHJF

The problem is medics aren't that vulnerable. Lucio constantly attacks while healing, is pretty fast, and in many cases is able to heal himself faster than he is damaged. He's almost as annoying to fight as Tracer. And Mercy is like a fucking grasshopper, any time you get near her whoosh she just flies off somewhere else. Widowmaker is the best way to reliably kill medics, but fuck if I'm playing another fucking sniper in a game like this. Just fuck it. Speaking of, why the FUCK is Zenyatta killed in ONE BODY SHOT.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

May 24, 2016, 15:03
Re: Overwatch Launches May 24, 2016, 15:03
May 24, 2016, 15:03

sauron wrote on May 24, 2016, 11:14:
No, but it turned what could have bene an interesting post into whiny nasal pre-teen mallrat. Didn't you notice? If not, why not? ;P

Maybe it is a generational thing and the fact that I honestly curse like a sailor, but I think his usage was pretty spot on in relating how he felt on how easily he can handle that combo. Maybe I'm just too desensitized to curse words but there is definitely a difference in saying "easily handled" and "easily fucking handled" that doesn't imply to me that the speaker is childish. More so that he wanted to express the confidence at which he could aggressively handle it. But yeah. I don't know. "Fuck" is an odd word in its usage.

If nothing else I took more notice of your post coming across as as someone who is overly sensitive which is an oddity to me on the internet.

How many cut-up kittens do you have in your basement?

This comment was edited on May 24, 2016, 15:12.

May 24, 2016, 14:45
Re: Overwatch Launches May 24, 2016, 14:45
May 24, 2016, 14:45

MattyC wrote on May 24, 2016, 07:18:
I haven't had a chance to play with a good Reinhardt and a good Bastion before, but as a Mercy player I will say that while Bastion + Mercy is quite strong it feels like that is just a player issue. It reminds me a lot of when TF2 first came out. Good heavy medic combos are still strong now, but plenty of people called it 'too strong' until... well public servers finally got the memo.

Hah, saw this version last night on Reddit: Overwatch memo

May 24, 2016, 11:14
Re: Overwatch Launches May 24, 2016, 11:14
May 24, 2016, 11:14

Quinn wrote on May 24, 2016, 10:57:
sauron wrote on May 24, 2016, 08:36:
Trevellian wrote on May 24, 2016, 07:48:
That combo is easily fucking handled by a Tracer Ult, Pharah, hell even a decent Junkrat would look at that combo as candy.

No offense, but is the cursing really necessary at 7:48am? You can make your point without looking like a 13 year old.

Does that word hurt your feelings? And if so, why do you think that is?

No, but it turned what could have bene an interesting post into whiny nasal pre-teen mallrat. Didn't you notice? If not, why not?
Kittens!

May 24, 2016, 10:57
Re: Overwatch Launches May 24, 2016, 10:57
May 24, 2016, 10:57

That combo is easily fucking handled by a Tracer Ult, Pharah, hell even a decent Junkrat would look at that combo as candy.

No offense, but is the cursing really necessary at 7:48am? You can make your point without looking like a 13 year old.

Does that word hurt your feelings? And if so, why do you think that is?

May 24, 2016, 10:26
Re: Overwatch Launches May 24, 2016, 10:26
May 24, 2016, 10:26

SimplyMonk wrote on May 24, 2016, 09:12:
CJ_Parker wrote on May 24, 2016, 08:58:

What the fucking fuck is wrong with fucking 7:48AM?

Whew. Thanks. For a minute there I thought I was transferred to some fucked up alternate reality where the Amish had won World War 2 and instilled a perverse social order where cursing was now regulated to certain hours of the day. That still doesn't explain why I'm typing on a cow attached to a butter churn with miles of twine... But that might just be the whiskey.

Believe me, the Amish know plenty about fucking. Have you seen the number of kids they have?

May 24, 2016, 10:24
Re: Overwatch Launches May 24, 2016, 10:24
May 24, 2016, 10:24

MattyC wrote on May 24, 2016, 07:18:

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but does EVERY game need a super detailed progression systems now? I don't ever recall playing Quake, Unreal Tournament, Day of Defeat, Counter-Strike or Tribes for progression. People just played them because they had fun doing so...

This. I refuse to play recent PvP shooters BECAUSE OF the progression. Frankly, I loathe that kind of progression in any PvP game, but especially in FPS, because I know for a fact that it is completely unnecessary. We spent hundreds or thousands of hours on old-school shooters with no progression, as you said, because they were fun. To me, if you have to tack on progression to keep people playing, then it's because your game sucked to begin with, and why the frak would I want to play that game anyway?

May 24, 2016, 09:27
Slick

Re: Overwatch Launches May 24, 2016, 09:27
May 24, 2016, 09:27
 Slick

SimplyMonk wrote on May 24, 2016, 09:12:

Whew. Thanks. For a minute there I thought I was transferred to some fucked up alternate reality where the Amish had won World War 2 and instilled a perverse social order where cursing was now regulated to certain hours of the day. That still doesn't explain why I'm typing on a cow attached to a butter churn with miles of twine... But that might just be the whiskey.

Hey, it's Fuckidy o'clock somewhere in the world amirite?
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

May 24, 2016, 09:12
Re: Overwatch Launches May 24, 2016, 09:12
May 24, 2016, 09:12

May 24, 2016, 08:59
Re: Overwatch Launches May 24, 2016, 08:59
May 24, 2016, 08:59

LOL! Made my morning.
Kittens!

May 24, 2016, 08:58
Re: Overwatch Launches May 24, 2016, 08:58
May 24, 2016, 08:58

May 24, 2016, 08:36
Re: Overwatch Launches May 24, 2016, 08:36
May 24, 2016, 08:36

Kittens!

May 24, 2016, 07:48
Re: Overwatch Launches May 24, 2016, 07:48
May 24, 2016, 07:48

thecakeisalie wrote on May 24, 2016, 05:03:
Sepharo wrote on May 24, 2016, 03:26:
I agree with most of your criticisms, especially the tick rate that causes lag shots from snipers when you've already made it to cover. The day 1 matchmaking is going to be obnoxious but the only way around that was not resetting beta progress, and even then you'll still run into issues simply because most people have yet to be sorted. If it's any consolation I found the matchmaking to be really good towards the ends of each beta run.

What I don't agree with is the idea of "broken combos", everything has a counter. I'd be interested to hear what you consider to be a broken combo. And as a Zenyatta main, I vehemently disagree with the notion that the developers don't want you to play support. Since you didn't give any details there I'm not sure what you even mean. Healing is very important, Lucio's speed is important, Zenyatta's 50% DMG curse is important, Mercy's revive, Zenyatta's super strong heal bubble ult. Awards are given for healing dealt out at the end of the round. You get elimination assists on guys you're healing. I think they've gone out of their way to make sure healing is rewarded and intuitive for the win.

"Broken combos" like Bastion + Mercy + Reinhardt sitting on a moving objective. Very hard to deal with under the best circumstances if the Bastion is any good and the other 3 players prevent flanking and run interference. A lot of people who bought the game because it's Blizzard and who never played the beta would have no idea how to counter it. Or the team who boxed us in with Mei in a narrow area with ice wall, and a Reaper teleported behind the wall and instantly fired off his ultimate, killing everyone. They did this repeatedly. I tried to counter these setups having played the betas but the other people in the group just died. A lot.

.... That combo is so easy to counter I don't even know if I can take this seriously. And making the argument that if "other players are good" goes both ways. If you're on a team of idiots that doesn't make the combo "Broken" it makes your team idiots. That combo is easily fucking handled by a Tracer Ult, Pharah, hell even a decent Junkrat would look at that combo as candy. I have never seen a Reinhart/Mercy/Bastion combo last more than the first few kills, once everyone realizes it's there, it gets taken care of.

Once the game has been out a few weeks and people are better sorted out you won't run into the issue as much anymore, but don't blame it on it being a broken combo when there are clear counters to everything. People are taking advantage of the fresh meat while they figure out that game, that doesn't make it broken. In Beta I literally had a 52% win rate, you can't balance a game much better than that.
-C22

May 24, 2016, 07:22
Re: Overwatch Launches May 24, 2016, 07:22
May 24, 2016, 07:22

"Good heavy medic combos are still strong now, but plenty of people called it 'too strong' until... well public servers finally got the memo."

HA! Love it!

May 24, 2016, 07:19
Re: Overwatch Launches May 24, 2016, 07:19
May 24, 2016, 07:19

"They also don't want to play support or healing. In a team-based game, that pretty much screws you over"

Luckily for my team(s), this "old" gamer primarily picks support roles as my twitch skills are not as competitive as they used to be and I can still have fun and contribute.

"Awards are given for healing dealt out at the end of the round. You get elimination assists on guys you're healing. I think they've gone out of their way to make sure healing is rewarded and intuitive for the win."

100% agree!! I was getting on the leader board at the end of each match almost all the time last night and getting good votes from the team. I mostly played Mercy on Attacks and the Dwarf Sentry dude on defense. Much fun

May 24, 2016, 07:18
Re: Overwatch Launches May 24, 2016, 07:18
May 24, 2016, 07:18

thecakeisalie wrote on May 24, 2016, 05:03:
I agree with most of your criticisms, especially the tick rate that causes lag shots from snipers when you've already made it to cover. The day 1 matchmaking is going to be obnoxious but the only way around that was not resetting beta progress, and even then you'll still run into issues simply because most people have yet to be sorted. If it's any consolation I found the matchmaking to be really good towards the ends of each beta run.

What I don't agree with is the idea of "broken combos", everything has a counter. I'd be interested to hear what you consider to be a broken combo. And as a Zenyatta main, I vehemently disagree with the notion that the developers don't want you to play support. Since you didn't give any details there I'm not sure what you even mean. Healing is very important, Lucio's speed is important, Zenyatta's 50% DMG curse is important, Mercy's revive, Zenyatta's super strong heal bubble ult. Awards are given for healing dealt out at the end of the round. You get elimination assists on guys you're healing. I think they've gone out of their way to make sure healing is rewarded and intuitive for the win.

"Broken combos" like Bastion + Mercy + Reinhardt sitting on a moving objective. Very hard to deal with under the best circumstances if the Bastion is any good and the other 3 players prevent flanking and run interference. A lot of people who bought the game because it's Blizzard and who never played the beta would have no idea how to counter it. Or the team who boxed us in with Mei in a narrow area with ice wall, and a Reaper teleported behind the wall and instantly fired off his ultimate, killing everyone. They did this repeatedly. I tried to counter these setups having played the betas but the other people in the group just died. A lot.

I haven't had a chance to play with a good Reinhardt and a good Bastion before, but as a Mercy player I will say that while Bastion + Mercy is quite strong it feels like that is just a player issue. It reminds me a lot of when TF2 first came out. Good heavy medic combos are still strong now, but plenty of people called it 'too strong' until... well public servers finally got the memo.

I played this, got amazed at how bad I have become at shooting games, looked at how the progression system is kinda boring and... don't think I'll be playing this any more.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but does EVERY game need a super detailed progression systems now? I don't ever recall playing Quake, Unreal Tournament, Day of Defeat, Counter-Strike or Tribes for progression. People just played them because they had fun doing so... I mean it is great that Battlefiend games offer bar filling excitement for FPS players who want it, but gez guys. It lets you earn cosmetic upgrades... what more do you want?

This comment was edited on May 24, 2016, 07:24.
I'm like the man who single-handedly built the rocket and went to the moon. What was his name? Apollo Creed?

May 24, 2016, 06:52
Re: Overwatch Launches May 24, 2016, 06:52
May 24, 2016, 06:52

I played this, got amazed at how bad I have become at shooting games, looked at how the progression system is kinda boring and... don't think I'll be playing this any more.

May 24, 2016, 05:03
Re: Overwatch Launches May 24, 2016, 05:03
May 24, 2016, 05:03

May 24, 2016, 03:26
Re: Overwatch Launches May 24, 2016, 03:26
May 24, 2016, 03:26

May 24, 2016, 02:46
Re: Overwatch Launches May 24, 2016, 02:46
May 24, 2016, 02:46

The most fun you can have getting wrecked by twitch kiddies on Red Bull for 40-60 bucks. And there's a cash shop. Yeah, yeah I know, it's COSMETIC, but that's not really the point. Some of the game content that was supposed to be ready at launch (e.g. Competitive Mode) isn't working, but the cash shop sure as hell is.

At the moment, matchmaking is completely FUBARed because it's putting normal people and older gamers up against pro-gamers and pro-streamers. The result is you get facerolled. Lost 9/10 games before I gave up tonight to people who were either Korean teens, aimbotters or they were hopped up on crack cocaine, based on their kill counts, sniping ability, etc as judged via all the replays of my deaths and the way we got stomped. And the smack talking. I must've added a half dozen or more people to my block list in Battle.net tonight. People were THAT obnoxious.

This imbalanced matchmaking is because everyone's ratings got reset so until their matchmaking sorts out people's ratings it's going to be seal clubbing time, especially when you come up against a pre-made group. It doesn't help that the average PUGer doesn't know all the broken "combos" you can do if you combine certain heroes. They also don't want to play support or healing. In a team-based game, that pretty much screws you over.

If you don't want to throw your mouse through your monitor, you might want to let things simmer for a few days before trying to play. Then you might get matched against people closer to your skill level and with people who have figured out this "team work" concept.

PS - 20 tick server rate still blows, just like it did in beta. It was great falling over dead over and over, and on the KillCam, I was not doing what I was doing when I died. Serious issues there with the clients not being properly synced. In a fast paced game like this where the Time to Kill (TTK) is so low and there are many insta-kill moves, I hope they realize that 20 tick sucks and bump it up to 60 or more, like Counter Strike and other modern FPS games.

This comment was edited on May 24, 2016, 02:53.
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older