King's Quest Episode One Free

Steam News announces that that the first chapter of King's Quest on Steam is now free, offering a new way to get started with the episodic revival of the role-playing series. Here's word:
King’s Quest - Chapter 1: A Knight to Remember is now available to download and play for free. King’s Quest is a collection of five different chapter releases, each focusing on an untold tale in Graham’s past. In each chapter, an aging King Graham reflects on his life of adventure with his granddaughter, Gwendolyn.
View : : :
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: King's Quest Episode One Free
May 19, 2016, 11:56
Beamer

Re: King's Quest Episode One Free May 19, 2016, 11:56
May 19, 2016, 11:56
 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on May 19, 2016, 01:35:
I played a couple of the KQ games back in the day. I thought they were pixel hunts and nonsensical puzzles. That's not to say I didn't like adventure games. I loved Bioforge, and while I found Monkey Island frustrating, I enjoyed the humor. And Full Throttle was the bomb.

I loved LucasArts games, hated Sierra, for the reasons discussed here. Sierra puzzles made no sense, and the fail rate was stupidly high. Sorry, Bundy, I never found repeating things fun. It's challenging, but there's good challenging and bad, and to me that was amongst the worst.

LucasArts puzzles were sometimes dumb, as playing the remake of MI reminded me, but tended to at least strive for funny dumb.

May 19, 2016, 11:23
Re: King's Quest Episode One Free May 19, 2016, 11:23
May 19, 2016, 11:23

The first 3 were remade with kq6 quality graphics and full voice acting and are available for free at agdinteractive.com. I played those with my kids last summer. Forgot how difficult some of them were.

May 19, 2016, 11:20
Re: King's Quest Episode One Free May 19, 2016, 11:20
May 19, 2016, 11:20

One moment that will always stick out in my memory is the part in KQV where you get King Antony to swarm the hay stack with his ant colony and get you a golden needle out of it. Also, I really enjoyed the desert part for some reason. I don't remember the other KQ games before or after it. Damn, I need to somehow get them all and do a playthrough.

As for Full Throttle, back in the day it was kind of cool, but really, it's little more than like a 15 minute diversion, start to finish. :/

May 19, 2016, 01:35
Re: King's Quest Episode One Free May 19, 2016, 01:35
May 19, 2016, 01:35

I played a couple of the KQ games back in the day. I thought they were pixel hunts and nonsensical puzzles. That's not to say I didn't like adventure games. I loved Bioforge, and while I found Monkey Island frustrating, I enjoyed the humor. And Full Throttle was the bomb.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

May 18, 2016, 21:35
Re: King's Quest Episode One Free May 18, 2016, 21:35
May 18, 2016, 21:35

Oh surely, their puzzles were too much random guessing. On the opposite end we have Telltale's new "adventure" games requiring no guessing at all. Because all their options lead to the exact same outcomes making their games essentially a 2 hour cutscene. You'll get the identical experience watching someone else play it on twitch. Neither system is optimal.

I did like how in KQ1 there would be many ways to solve various puzzles, but the closer you follow the fairy tales, the better your score would be. The troll bridge comes to mind. There were several ways to get rid of the troll. You could give him a golden acorn, a bag of coins and I think the golden egg that was on the end of that maddening branch. And they all worked, none of them prevented you from finishing the game. But they all lost you points. The "proper" way was to show the goat a carrot and he'll follow you to the bridge and knock the troll off. This allowed you to finish the game in several different ways, and replay it over again, trying to find every single point. It was pretty impressive. For 1983.

May 18, 2016, 19:23
Re: King's Quest Episode One Free May 18, 2016, 19:23
May 18, 2016, 19:23

Bundy wrote on May 18, 2016, 17:55:
I didn't mind that. All the KQ games had points of no return that weren't obvious and many, many ways to get yourself stuck in an impossible to solve position. That was way back when games being difficult was the rule, not the exception.

It took me a long time to get through KQ1. But with a guide you can finish the game in 20 minutes. Making mistakes and reloading was part of the journey. Which I personally like better than Telltale's impossible to fail adventure games today.

Eh. I don't miss that style of game design; good riddance to bad rubbish.

In practice, it's pretty easy to not eat the pie. It doesn't get you anything and you lose the pie. And in some of Sierra's games (maybe just King's Quest 1) that kind of thing would also lose you points, providing another hint that you're not on the right track

But it's fundamentally bad design. I don't see at all how reloading is part of the journey, when it's just as easy for the game to say, "No, I'm not hungry". I feel this particular kind of no-win situation is just game designers thinking they're clever and funny. I think LucasArts' decision of steering away from that was totally the right way to go. You can put down the game at any point and come back to it blind without wondering if there was anything you should have done in Chapter 1 that's going to necessitate a restart.

A bigger problem are things like the pie vs. yeti and the shoe vs. cat puzzles, where you brute force puzzles by using every object with everything else until something works, and even when you solve it you just think, what the hell was that? Why do I even want the mouse to get away from the cat? It's vermin! I think that it didn't even get you points, so even in Sierra game terms it was particularly unintuitive -- you lose an item, and nothing happens any time soon to tell you it was the right action. And I don't think there's anything at the crisis point to signal that you should have saved the mouse, if you didn't. Total crap, designed for people whose time is worthless.

At the end of the day, I feel making mistakes being "part of the journey" is like patting yourself on the back for having a big fat pile of graph paper maps at the end of an old school CRPG. It's just not impressive.

May 18, 2016, 18:33
Re: King's Quest Episode One Free May 18, 2016, 18:33
May 18, 2016, 18:33

five different chapter releases

FAIL

May 18, 2016, 18:22
Re: King's Quest Episode One Free May 18, 2016, 18:22
May 18, 2016, 18:22

saluk wrote on May 18, 2016, 18:13:
This game has a really checkered development history, I'm not sure I want to support it even if it's free.

It's been years since I did a complete kq1-8 playthrough, if I get the urge for more KQ I think I'd rather go back and replay them. They can be obtuse and mean at times for sure. The Dark Souls of adventure games The worst are the dead ends where you have made the game unwinnable without knowing it. Oh, you drank that potion that does nothing here but you need on this other screen later on? Too bad!

But there have been remakes that clean up some of the rougher edges.

KQ6 is sooo damn good.

May 18, 2016, 18:20
Re: King's Quest Episode One Free May 18, 2016, 18:20
May 18, 2016, 18:20

Graham wrote on May 18, 2016, 17:50:
Bundy wrote on May 18, 2016, 14:24:
The first episode was good but the second wasn't. But both had puzzles that made more sense than KQ5. Which, for nostalga reasons, is my favorite of the series, but had really weird solutions to everything. How do you defeat a Yeti? Well with a pie of course!

With a pie. That you had the option to eat earlier in the game leaving you unable to defeat the Yeti, completely blocking your advancement. With no other way to defeat it.

I loved King's Quest (really related with King Graham for some reason) but that moment alone is in my top ten of worst game design decisions ever.

Bad game design, but marketing genius. How else was Sierra supposed to get you to buy their hint book with secret text revealing marker?

May 18, 2016, 18:13
Re: King's Quest Episode One Free May 18, 2016, 18:13
May 18, 2016, 18:13

This game has a really checkered development history, I'm not sure I want to support it even if it's free.

It's been years since I did a complete kq1-8 playthrough, if I get the urge for more KQ I think I'd rather go back and replay them. They can be obtuse and mean at times for sure. The Dark Souls of adventure games The worst are the dead ends where you have made the game unwinnable without knowing it. Oh, you drank that potion that does nothing here but you need on this other screen later on? Too bad!

But there have been remakes that clean up some of the rougher edges.

May 18, 2016, 17:55
Re: King's Quest Episode One Free May 18, 2016, 17:55
May 18, 2016, 17:55

I didn't mind that. All the KQ games had points of no return that weren't obvious and many, many ways to get yourself stuck in an impossible to solve position. That was way back when games being difficult was the rule, not the exception.

It took me a long time to get through KQ1. But with a guide you can finish the game in 20 minutes. Making mistakes and reloading was part of the journey. Which I personally like better than Telltale's impossible to fail adventure games today.

May 18, 2016, 17:50
Re: King's Quest Episode One Free May 18, 2016, 17:50
May 18, 2016, 17:50

Bundy wrote on May 18, 2016, 14:24:
The first episode was good but the second wasn't. But both had puzzles that made more sense than KQ5. Which, for nostalga reasons, is my favorite of the series, but had really weird solutions to everything. How do you defeat a Yeti? Well with a pie of course!

With a pie. That you had the option to eat earlier in the game leaving you unable to defeat the Yeti, completely blocking your advancement. With no other way to defeat it.

I loved King's Quest (really related with King Graham for some reason) but that moment alone is in my top ten of worst game design decisions ever.

May 18, 2016, 17:48
Re: King's Quest Episode One Free May 18, 2016, 17:48
May 18, 2016, 17:48

Xero wrote on May 18, 2016, 12:18:
Yeah I was just going to mention. I paid for the first one, and haven't got the new ones yet but was planning on it.

Now your saying, the first one is free so that I CAN pay for the other ones?

Damn, I hate the way business works.

Yeah, it's a new concept. They're calling it shareware.

May 18, 2016, 14:24
Re: King's Quest Episode One Free May 18, 2016, 14:24
May 18, 2016, 14:24

I haven't tried the third yet. Just got back from a 15 day Panama Canal Disney Cruise.

And I agree with the Police Quest request.

May 18, 2016, 13:52
Re: King's Quest Episode One Free May 18, 2016, 13:52
May 18, 2016, 13:52

Pigeon wrote on May 18, 2016, 12:42:
Got this free on PSN+ it was enjoyable, but I think I'll wait till its finished and on sale before I pick anymore of the series up. Never cared for the whole episodic game model.

Jagacademy wrote on May 18, 2016, 11:39:
I tried to play through some of the early ones for nostalgia, before realizing just how absurd they were. Things you had to do to proceed made no sense whatsoever. *Pour dirt onto side of building, mix with fork, open portal*.

Are the new ones logical and make sense?

Well the series is supposed to be humorous so solutions to the puzzles are often solved by thinking outside the box, but nothing struck me as overtly obscure like the ones in the original text parser games.

I want a new Police Quest. While the solutions were sometimes strange they always made logical sense.

May 18, 2016, 12:42
Re: King's Quest Episode One Free May 18, 2016, 12:42
May 18, 2016, 12:42

Got this free on PSN+ it was enjoyable, but I think I'll wait till its finished and on sale before I pick anymore of the series up. Never cared for the whole episodic game model.

Jagacademy wrote on May 18, 2016, 11:39:
I tried to play through some of the early ones for nostalgia, before realizing just how absurd they were. Things you had to do to proceed made no sense whatsoever. *Pour dirt onto side of building, mix with fork, open portal*.

Well the series is supposed to be humorous so solutions to the puzzles are often solved by thinking outside the box, but nothing struck me as overtly obscure like the ones in the original text parser games.

May 18, 2016, 12:18
Re: King's Quest Episode One Free May 18, 2016, 12:18
May 18, 2016, 12:18

Yeah I was just going to mention. I paid for the first one, and haven't got the new ones yet but was planning on it.

Now your saying, the first one is free so that I CAN pay for the other ones?

Damn, I hate the way business works.

May 18, 2016, 11:39
Re: King's Quest Episode One Free May 18, 2016, 11:39
May 18, 2016, 11:39

May 18, 2016, 10:51
Re: King's Quest Episode One Free May 18, 2016, 10:51
May 18, 2016, 10:51

Awesome that they're offering it for free to get some money, but sucks for those who bought it already.
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older