Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month

A Facebook post from NightDive Studios reveals the developer plans to kick off a Kickstarter at the end of next month for their remastered edition of System Shock, the beloved action/RPG from Looking Glass (thanks Fantaz). Late last year they revealed plans for the remaster, since they acquired the rights to the series following their enhanced edition of the game. A couple of months ago they revealed gameplay footage from the project, and now they say they will head to Kickstarter on June 29th for funding support. The System Shock website has a little more on the plan:

After two decades, we are remastering and re-imagining the original System Shock. We will keep the new game true to the classic experience, keeping all the things you loved, while updating the user interface and graphics to use a modern day engine (Unity). With the help of the original concept artist, the original vision of the Citadel Station and its inhabitants will finally come back to life.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 17, 2016, 07:38 Pr()ZaC

Nostalgia post! Off topic too!

Is there a good DeusEX remake worth checking out?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 17, 2016, 05:26 Luke

bigspender wrote on May 16, 2016, 23:29:
Luke wrote on May 16, 2016, 15:24:
looks good but mann the game industry is really out of idears with all those remastred releases Book

I've got an original idea, but everyone just laughs at me when I tell them I need about $3mil to develop it:(

Well seeing how people pure money in everything that has the tag : "Kickstart" i see np there , and if ya can't sell it with your passion for the idea it's not worth it very simple

30. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 17, 2016, 03:24 Lord Tea

CJ_Parker wrote on May 16, 2016, 19:12:
Bumpy wrote on May 16, 2016, 17:28:
'Being made for Xbox One and PC'

That's all I needed to read. I'll pass.

Seconded. This is $4.99 Steam sale material at best. I'm not gonna fund Shitbox development via KS. LOL. The thought alone makes me want to puke.

Agreed. Not going to fund console garbage. Annoyed

Anytime. Anywhere. Anyone.
[Tagline: John Carpenter's "The Thing"]
[Tagline: United Police States of America]

29. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 17, 2016, 00:58 jdreyer

Seconded. This is $4.99 Steam sale material at best. I'm not gonna fund Shitbox development via KS. LOL. The thought alone makes me want to puke.
That's a shitty attitude. These guys aren't MS. This kind of game raises the bar for console games.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

28. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 23:34 bigspender

I'm confused, everyone seems to be praising the new DooM, yet that was made for PS4 and Xbone as well.  

27. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 23:29 bigspender

Luke wrote on May 16, 2016, 15:24:
looks good but mann the game industry is really out of idears with all those remastred releases Book

I've got an original idea, but everyone just laughs at me when I tell them I need about $3mil to develop it:(

26. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 21:57 CJ_Parker

Fantaz wrote on May 16, 2016, 20:40:
why should it be PS4 only and ignore Xbox One?

It should ideally be PC-exclusive (Windows, Mac, Linux/SteamOS). But IF it has to go to console then yes PS4 would be much better than Shitbox. Sony is at least leaving PC gamers alone and not constantly shitting all over PC gaming like Microsoft does (GFWL, UWP, shady shabby backroom deals to actively sabotage and withhold games from PC gamers etc.).

25. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 20:40 Fantaz

why should it be PS4 only and ignore Xbox One? i'm sure the Xbone version won't be so good and the PC version will be a lot better anyway

dunno about you guys but i'm pretty excited for this one

24. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 19:12 CJ_Parker

23. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 17:42 Overon

I only played System Shock 2. Always wanted to play System Shock 1. Even if it's ugly Unity engine game, it's still miles ahead of the original, and maybe it's a good opportunity to finally play it with the best looking version it's ever going to be. It's shame it's on Unity. I know Unity can do better, it just sucks that because it's free it's gotten a reputation for everyone and their grandmothers designing shitty cash grab and run away kind of games. The phrase "Unity with prebuilt assets" has a special dread for me.

Oh no this is being made for Xbone too? God damnit.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2016, 17:49.

22. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 17:29 Lorcin

Alpha footage looks playable enough to me. For what will be a niche market for older players it's pretty good. It's not good enough to appeal to a new audience.

Maybe the kickstarter is to fund at least the enemy models being upgraded and hopefully the whole GFX engine (painful to say as I'm learning unity atm but that is for mobile apps).

I'm happy enough funding anyone dragging this into this decade!

21. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 17:28 Bumpy

20. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 16:59 Parallax Abstraction

Nucas wrote on May 16, 2016, 13:28:
PHJF wrote on May 16, 2016, 10:43:
... updating the user interface and graphics to use a modern day engine (Unity).

Wouldn't call Unity a "modern engine," except in the sense it is built for the "modern" ipad gamer.

oh?

And what shipping game is that for? Right, it's not, it's an internally developed tech demo. Most games released on Unity are either highly stylised or look very dated, particularly because even Unity 5 has major performance problems when pushing the level of graphics UE4 can (see how virtually every Unity game has major performance issues on consoles, Unity themselves has confirmed it's an engine issue.) Unity is cheap and easy to use but it's not state of the art.

Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Mixer

19. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 16:32 Cutter

Shock to the heart and you're to blame, you give love a bad name!

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

18. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 16:12 jdreyer

Steazy wrote on May 16, 2016, 11:39:
Would be much more excited if it was using something other than Unity :/

Did you watch the demo footage from a couple of months ago? It's not like it would take advantage of any of the advanced features offered by something like UE4.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

17. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 15:24 Luke

16. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 15:13 MoreLuckThanSkill

oh?

Hrm, that looks great! Hopefully they post that full movie online after their convention/presentation.

As far as System Shock Remastered (not the Enhanced one) I'm definitely down to buy it on release, not sure if I will contirbute to the kickstarter yet.

15. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 15:10 rudra

Drayth wrote on May 16, 2016, 10:56:
All the unity games I have do a borderless full screen. That's why there's no in game brightness setting for the new Homeworld games. It's also why you can alt-tab so quickly in and out of the game.

Edit-OK, nm.. looks like they patched a method in. Only works in DX9 mode though.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/281610

yeh thats why vsync never works for me in Unity games unless i force the dx9 renderer... super fucking annoying

14. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 14:48 Steazy

That demo looks nice and all but -
A) I can't run it on my local machine, doesn't seem that real time to me. I'll believe it when I see it.
B) It took a fairly large team to put that together, and it's entirely non-interactive. Trying to make a game that looked like that in Unity would be horrible.

13. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 14:30 Drayth

oh?

Nice watch. That would make for an enterntaining benchmarking run.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2016, 14:38.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo