8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Sunday Metaverse
May 16, 2016, 02:49
Re: Sunday Metaverse May 16, 2016, 02:49
May 16, 2016, 02:49

SmyTTor wrote on May 15, 2016, 17:02:
Maybe a bit more context will put it into perspective: there is little to no competition to keep markets honest. Prices are inflated with unnecessary schemes, like data caps, for which there are no legitimate reasons for their existence. Conglomerations that have enveloped companies in other service areas use what is in effect extortion to get customers to use multiple services regardless of the customer's original intent.

It's one giant conflict of interest and entirely anti-consumer. Before the 1980's, these actions weren't just frowned upon, they were regulated to keep people from being taken advantage of.
So basically, you agree with Cutter: nationalize the damn things. There's really no other way to get competition except in a few densely populated urban centers.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

May 16, 2016, 02:47
Re: Sunday Metaverse May 16, 2016, 02:47
May 16, 2016, 02:47

eRe4s3r wrote on May 15, 2016, 16:59:
Well Flash can't die soon enough.. now someone tell this to the hundreds of shitty news sites that don't just use flash video, but also entire media behemoth installations made from it.. gah

They'll have to rewrite in HTML5. Job security for us.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

May 15, 2016, 20:17
Re: Sunday Metaverse May 15, 2016, 20:17
May 15, 2016, 20:17

eRe4s3r wrote on May 15, 2016, 16:59:
Well Flash can't die soon enough.. now someone tell this to the hundreds of shitty news sites that don't just use flash video, but also entire media behemoth installations made from it.. gah

I haven't even had Flash installed for maybe over a year now, no loss whatsoever.

Though now that I think about it maybe I don't want it to die, because it's such a large attack vector, one that I don't have, the nasties aren't targeting things I might be vulnerable to.

So long live Flash lol, the stupid P.o.S that keeps me more secure by not having it installed

May 15, 2016, 17:02
Re: Sunday Metaverse May 15, 2016, 17:02
May 15, 2016, 17:02

Maybe a bit more context will put it into perspective: there is little to no competition to keep markets honest. Prices are inflated with unnecessary schemes, like data caps, for which there are no legitimate reasons for their existence. Conglomerations that have enveloped companies in other service areas use what is in effect extortion to get customers to use multiple services regardless of the customer's original intent.

It's one giant conflict of interest and entirely anti-consumer. Before the 1980's, these actions weren't just frowned upon, they were regulated to keep people from being taken advantage of.

May 15, 2016, 16:59
Re: Sunday Metaverse May 15, 2016, 16:59
May 15, 2016, 16:59

May 15, 2016, 14:28
PHJF

Re: Sunday Metaverse May 15, 2016, 14:28
May 15, 2016, 14:28
 PHJF

However, offering to remove data caps for people who purchase TV service probably isn't some maniacal get-rich scheme from Bend Broadband, but rather a way of mitigating some or all of the equally-fucking-stupid costs in running an ISP.

US ISPs get far more out of customers than they pay into their services. Time Warner is comically bad, renting out ten-year-old modems at $10 a month, and doing nothing to update infrastructure. Yeah I'm sure in the boondocks it costs a lot to lay/maintain infrastructure... but I live in a metro city. Not near one, IN one. And the service and prices are abysmal.

And for the record, once the infrastructure is down, there is essentially no cost to the provider in transmitting data. Something on the order of fractions of pennies per GB.

I don't get why everyone thinks they're imposing new caps on people who don't buy TV service.

Because they are trying to make people pay for service they don't want or need in order to get something else they should have to begin with (which is extortion). AT&T now does the same thing, except they also offer a $30 monthly fee to internet-only customers to bypass their cap. It's certainly not as bad as cell phone overage charges, but $10 per 50GB over is nothing to sneeze at when single games can now be that large.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

May 15, 2016, 13:53
Re: Sunday Metaverse May 15, 2016, 13:53
May 15, 2016, 13:53

From the sound of it, the data caps and overage fees were in place before they came out with this plan, and all they're doing is removing an established cap when you purchase TV service. I don't get why everyone thinks they're imposing new caps on people who don't buy TV service. It seems like we've got another serious case of Read The Fucking Article.

For the record, I'm of the opinion that MOST OF THE TIME, data caps are fucking stupid and unnecessary. However, offering to remove data caps for people who purchase TV service probably isn't some maniacal get-rich scheme from Bend Broadband, but rather a way of mitigating some or all of the equally-fucking-stupid costs in running an ISP. I mean, it's not like you can just plug into some giant router somewhere and become an ISP free of cost.

May 15, 2016, 13:11
Cutter

Re: Sunday Metaverse May 15, 2016, 13:11
May 15, 2016, 13:11
 Cutter

And once again we see why the interwebs need to be nationalized.
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older