Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch

A post to the Overwatch Forums from Blizzard game director Jeff Kaplan discusses how things will change between the end of open beta testing on May 9th and the official launch of the multiplayer shooter on May 24th (thanks VG247). Word is the version being played now is essentially the same as the release version, with the exception of competitive mode, which is getting a lot of changes at the moment. A previous post notes the competitive mode will not be live for the game's launch, saying: "Our plan is to bring back a newly re-designed version of Competitive Play sometime after Overwatch launches." Word is they are already working on "a TON" of free content to release after the game:

Yes. The version you are playing now is what will go live at launch (there will be some bug fixes etc...). We also have Competitive Play, which was a feature that was live in Closed Beta. We removed it from Open Beta because we received a ton of great feedback on how to improve the system. We had a tough choice. It would have been awesome to have the feature in for Open Beta and Launch. But we felt like we could really improve on some things so we opted to have the feature come out shortly after launch. We're hoping that our efforts in the Closed Beta to try to get things done quickly and at high quality aren't lost on our community -- but we also never want to sacrifice the quality of the game by putting something live that isn't up to our standards.

We're also working on a TON of post-launch features and content. It's going to be a pretty amazing summer...

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

57. Re: Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch May 9, 2016, 12:45 Yifes

Suppa7 wrote on May 9, 2016, 05:01:
I don't need to prove shit when there is google dumbass. There's this thing called moddb. You simply google 'quake mods' and you'll find all sorts of interesting shit. I'm not going to do homework for historically illiterate shit for brains like you.

ROFL! The burden of proof is ON YOU when you make delusional claims that you pulled out of the depths of your ass. If these mods exist anywhere outside of your imagination, then it should be simple for you to show some concrete examples. But you can't, because you're full of shit.

Hey buddy, Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster exists too. I don't need to prove it, because I'm not going to do homework for historically illiterate shit like you

All you know how to do is make excuses and avoid the issue when someone calls you out on your bullshit. Pathetic.

This comment was edited on May 9, 2016, 12:53.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch May 9, 2016, 09:59 Wowbagger_TIP

Suppa7 wrote on May 9, 2016, 05:01:
Yifes wrote on May 7, 2016, 00:53:
Suppa7 wrote on May 6, 2016, 16:47:
There was all sorts of crazy shit in the mod community if you ever played anything besides bog standard games you'd know that. You come off as another retard.

Then prove it. Name some multiplayer FPS mods from the 90s that had melee tanks with AOE shields, Pudge hooks, time rewinds, ultimates etc. Do it. You can't cuz you're full of shit.

I don't need to prove shit when there is google dumbass. There's this thing called moddb. You simply google 'quake mods' and you'll find all sorts of interesting shit. I'm not going to do homework for historically illiterate shit for brains like you.

Looks like he was right. You can't name one that had those things. Laugh2

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

55. Re: Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch May 9, 2016, 05:01 Suppa7

There was all sorts of crazy shit in the mod community if you ever played anything besides bog standard games you'd know that. You come off as another retard.

Then prove it. Name some multiplayer FPS mods from the 90s that had melee tanks with AOE shields, Pudge hooks, time rewinds, ultimates etc. Do it. You can't cuz you're full of shit.

54. Re: Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch May 9, 2016, 00:46 Wowbagger_TIP

Drayth wrote on May 8, 2016, 17:08:
Are you using a VPN?
Nope.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

53. Re: Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch May 8, 2016, 17:08 Drayth

Are you using a VPN?  

52. Re: Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch May 8, 2016, 16:28 Wowbagger_TIP

SpectralMeat wrote on May 8, 2016, 07:34:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on May 7, 2016, 14:39:
peteham wrote on May 7, 2016, 05:48:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on May 6, 2016, 22:15:
Edit: hmm... I don't see the deal on it at GMG either
Got it in one of their emails: overwatch-origins-edition , and then use 20OFF * at checkout. Don't know if it works since I can't even add to basket due to the aforementioned region restriction (or if the asterisk was just a footnote or actually part of the campaign code.)

Apparently its restricted in the US too. I just get the "not available in your region" message.
Yup US only.
Cdkeys have the Origins edition for $45

But I AM in the US. Not sure why I'm getting the restricted message.

51. Re: Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch May 8, 2016, 07:34 SpectralMeat

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on May 7, 2016, 14:39:
Got it in one of their emails: overwatch-origins-edition , and then use 20OFF * at checkout. Don't know if it works since I can't even add to basket due to the aforementioned region restriction (or if the asterisk was just a footnote or actually part of the campaign code.)

Apparently its restricted in the US too. I just get the "not available in your region" message.
Yup US only.
Cdkeys have the Origins edition for $45

Steam: SpectralMeat

50. Re: Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch May 8, 2016, 03:43 VaranDragon

PHJF wrote on May 7, 2016, 08:21:

It's a pointless argument because you're arguing the game is "casual" when it really isn't. Characters like Tracer require a ton of practice and skill to be competent with.

No Im not. Im arguing that while its marketed and designed to appeal to a super casual crowd, its actually a game that requires superior teamwork, and is basically (just like HOTS) a game aimed at the esports crowd. I gave up on HOTS when I got frustrated and thanks to this beta I don't have to go through the same process with this game.

49. Re: Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch May 7, 2016, 14:39 Wowbagger_TIP

48. Re: Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch May 7, 2016, 12:04 Yifes

VaranDragon wrote on May 7, 2016, 03:40:

Melee tanks, AOE shields, Pudge Hooks, Time Rewinds, Ultimates....why do you list those things like they are a good thing? MOBA/MMO abilities in an FPS sound like a terrible fucking idea, more rock-paper-scissor gameplay for people who can't shoot with a keyboard and mouse to save their lives.

Hooks need to be precisely aimed. The time rewind is on a character with a tiny health pool that will die in a split second if your reaction isn't fast enough. Melee can be kited. AOE shields are for choke points and advancing the objectives. And if you think aim doesn't matter then you are out of your fucking mind as any DPS character requires good aim to put out any decent damage. If your aim sucks then you're relegated to playing meat shields and support roles, and not a very good one at that since even those characters have skills that need to be aimed to be effective.

Why are these options good? Because they create new and diverse gameplay. Also, I was calling out Suppa for making his usual dumb as fuck statement about how there's nothing new here that wasn't done before in the 90s.

47. Re: Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch May 7, 2016, 08:21 PHJF

Melee tanks, AOE shields, Pudge Hooks, Time Rewinds, Ultimates....why do you list those things like they are a good thing?

Because they are new and different? I don't remember uber charges or CP maps being in Team Fortress, but I can't imagine TF2 without them.

It's a pointless argument because you're arguing the game is "casual" when it really isn't. Characters like Tracer require a ton of practice and skill to be competent with.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

46. Re: Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch May 7, 2016, 05:48 peteham

45. Re: Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch May 7, 2016, 05:09 VaranDragon

My main beef with the game is that that there are hard counters to (nearly) every character. It forces a team to adapt and change characters on the fly. On paper that sounds like a good thing, but in practice with a 6 player team limit, it can turn into a MOBA fuckup of epic proportions.

Im grateful for the Open Beta though and the chance to try the game and come to my own conclusions.

44. Re: Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch May 7, 2016, 03:56 Sepharo

VaranDragon wrote on May 7, 2016, 03:40:

Melee tanks, AOE shields, Pudge Hooks, Time Rewinds, Ultimates....why do you list those things like they are a good thing? MOBA/MMO abilities in an FPS sound like a terrible fucking idea, more rock-paper-scissor gameplay for people who can't shoot with a keyboard and mouse to save their lives. Team Fortress did just fine without them, as did TF2, and now this game (for which I had high hopes) comes along and suddenly there is the 6 player max limit, cramped maps, technicolor galore and people spamming their ultimates....So once again, the gameplay is devolved to who has the retard on the team to ruin the fucking fun for the rest of the team...Fuck that....Im deeply disappointed in Overwatch.

Accuracy is a important part of many characters in Overwatch. Not all characters though.

This comment was edited on May 7, 2016, 04:05.

43. Re: Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch May 7, 2016, 03:40 VaranDragon

Melee tanks, AOE shields, Pudge Hooks, Time Rewinds, Ultimates....why do you list those things like they are a good thing? MOBA/MMO abilities in an FPS sound like a terrible fucking idea, more rock-paper-scissor gameplay for people who can't shoot with a keyboard and mouse to save their lives. Team Fortress did just fine without them, as did TF2, and now this game (for which I had high hopes) comes along and suddenly there is the 6 player max limit, cramped maps, technicolor galore and people spamming their ultimates....So once again, the gameplay is devolved to who has the retard on the team to ruin the fucking fun for the rest of the team...Fuck that....Im deeply disappointed in Overwatch.

42. Re: Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch May 7, 2016, 00:53 Yifes

41. Re: Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch May 6, 2016, 23:57 Agent.X7

Despite liking pretty much everything else Blizzard has done, I just can't get into this. I've played in a couple of betas and now the open and it's just not my thing. I don't like the characters, the art, or the gameplay. Ah well, Uncharted comes out next week.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

40. Re: Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch May 6, 2016, 22:15 Wowbagger_TIP

I've been playing since yesterday, and can agree that this is very much like TF2, although a bit faster. There's definitely more variety in the characters and their abilities though. I think it's too early to tell how good the maps are, but so far I don't have an issue with them. Some are pretty good, and they all look very nice.

I've only played about 5 characters for more than one match so far. I'm trying to play around with more, and maybe pick one or two of each class to focus on for now.

Anyone know if it's possible to change the difficulty of the bots in the humans vs. A.I. training matches?

This comment was edited on May 6, 2016, 22:29.

39. Re: Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch May 6, 2016, 20:34 peteham

GMG has the Origins edition at 20% off, so ~50 USD. The offer only seems to apply to the USA, as it's giving me a "not available in your region" prompt.
Like Sepharo said, the only difference from the standard edition is a few cosmetics. Not worth it for most people.

38. Re: Overwatch Beta Not Changing Much for Launch May 6, 2016, 19:56 Sepharo

Undocumented Alien wrote on May 6, 2016, 19:43:
Played for about an hour or so, I wasn't expecting much but I found it to be fun. Played the Reaper character and Mercy and got into it. The classes definitely play and feel unique, so a LOT of replay-ability. It's definitely a blending of Team Fortress and UT'ish DM. I think $60 is to high for it personally, $40 would be more acceptable, so I'll have to think about it.

The base PC version is $39.99
The only extras you get with the $60 version is 6 cosmetic skins (skins are random loot drops anyway) and some Overwatch themed DLC for other Blizzard games. It's really not worth it unless you have to have some specific character skins and feel like paying $20 for them.

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo