Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Overwatch Open Beta Opens

The Overwatch website announces that the early access period has concluded for the Overwatch open beta, and testing of Blizzard's multiplayer first-person shooter is now open to everyone. Testing will continue until the 9th, at which point it will go offline for a couple of weeks to pave the way for the game's official launch on May 24th. This previous post has details on how to participate, including a FAQ which notes that all progress and unlocks from the beta will be wiped before the official launch. If you want more details on the game, head over to the Overwatch website. In short: "In Overwatch, you control one of several heroes in competitive 6-person team shooting matches. Battle over objectives, take down the other team, and achieve victory."
View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: Overwatch Open Beta Opens May 6, 2016, 09:25 SpectralMeat

To be fair though Paragon is still in Alpha/beta stage.
I do like BB quiet a bit though, and there are so many ways you can play, the MOBA MP mode isn't the only way to play. There's single player, coop, straight up MP with tower defense elements etc.

I like the random drops though. It makes it interesting as you never know what you are going to get, kind of like in Borderlands

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Overwatch Open Beta Opens May 6, 2016, 09:03 SimplyMonk

SpectralMeat wrote on May 6, 2016, 05:25:
Kxmode wrote on May 5, 2016, 22:29:
There's also Paragon from Epic in case OW and BB don't cut it.
Made it into the Paragon beta. Gave it a try yesterday. The graphics look fantastic, but needs a lot more work.
Will be a fun game though

Paragon is pretty and has a few things going for it, but gameplay itself feels stiff and I rather dislike the deck building aspect of the "gear". I was eager to play it when I first got into the Alpha, but I've struggled to enjoy it and usually pass it up for Dark Souls, The Division or even SMITE instead. I'm sure some will enjoy it though, but I doubt it will gather a large following.

I think BB is more my cup of tea, but again the randomly obtained load out items irks me when going into competitive modes.

48. Re: Overwatch Open Beta Opens May 6, 2016, 05:25 SpectralMeat

Made it into the Paragon beta. Gave it a try yesterday. The graphics look fantastic, but needs a lot more work.
Will be a fun game though

Steam: SpectralMeat

47. Re: Overwatch Open Beta Opens May 6, 2016, 03:29 rudra

heroin wrote on May 5, 2016, 20:24:
Seriously, while I really do like Blizzard's multiplayer components in their games - I still rather miss the good ol' Quake 1 & 2 community mods. Glad Bluesnews is still going strong though

threewave CTF was good times... i still remember the first time i used a grappling hook, and was like "how the fuck did they do this?!?!?!?"

46. Re: Overwatch Open Beta Opens May 5, 2016, 22:48 RedEye9

Sepharo wrote on May 5, 2016, 22:43:
Kxmode wrote on May 5, 2016, 22:21:
Sepharo wrote on May 5, 2016, 14:45:
Kxmode wrote on May 5, 2016, 14:38:
Boycott Blizzard. Give us WOW vanilla servers!

Weren't you just arguing the other day that this is the kind of post you don't make?

I don't recall that. Feel free to quote a post where I said that.

I guess you didn't argue against it after all, but somebody pointed it out.

Kxmode wrote on Apr 26, 2016, 12:05:
I don't think I've ever said this until today but I'm done with Blizzard.
But not done bitching.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

45. Re: Overwatch Open Beta Opens May 5, 2016, 22:43 Sepharo

Kxmode wrote on May 5, 2016, 22:21:

Weren't you just arguing the other day that this is the kind of post you don't make?

I guess you didn't argue against it after all, but somebody pointed it out.

44. Re: Overwatch Open Beta Opens May 5, 2016, 22:37 Sepharo

Esoteric wrote on May 5, 2016, 17:05:
Although I'm liking Battleborn quite a bit more, I think I'll have enough fun in OW to warrant picking it up for 40. OW is more polished than BB, but I find BB to be more fun and have more depth. Very different kind of games.

And LawBreakers from cliffyb

43. Re: Overwatch Open Beta Opens May 5, 2016, 22:29 Kxmode

Esoteric wrote on May 5, 2016, 17:05:
Although I'm liking Battleborn quite a bit more, I think I'll have enough fun in OW to warrant picking it up for 40. OW is more polished than BB, but I find BB to be more fun and have more depth. Very different kind of games.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

42. Re: Overwatch Open Beta Opens May 5, 2016, 22:21 Kxmode

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

41. Re: Overwatch Open Beta Opens May 5, 2016, 20:24 heroin

Seriously, while I really do like Blizzard's multiplayer components in their games - I still rather miss the good ol' Quake 1 & 2 community mods. Glad Bluesnews is still going strong though  

40. Re: Overwatch Open Beta Opens May 5, 2016, 20:11 Suppa7

thecakeisalie wrote on May 5, 2016, 12:50:
The pacing and time-to-kill need to be tweaked down and teamplay made more important.

Say what, a good team in overwatch will wreck you silly because if you go in without certain classes on your team you'll get raped silly. Just try defending a point against a good team without classes that can drop shields skills.

39. Re: Overwatch Open Beta Opens May 5, 2016, 20:05 Suppa7

OldDirtyEwok wrote on May 5, 2016, 15:56:
So TF2 is a console game as well? Rolleyes

TF2 was mostly a let down to those of us who played the original, after TF2 went f2p it was casual city. TF2 is the ultimate newbie game now.

38. Re: Overwatch Open Beta Opens May 5, 2016, 19:39 eRe4s3r

No ping display and VERY console feeling... yeah there is a FOV slider, but good luck running this on a nonstandard aspect ratio or when you encounter a lagging server instance (in a 6v6 game, mind you)

so after 6 hours I uninstalled this Is about as fun as a live vasectomy

Btw, to those saying this needs a good team, yeah, and that's the problem, personal skill makes zero difference if you have a team that coordinates on a pub vs your own that doesn't. So wtf is the point of even playing this? At least on BF4 you can still have fun when your team is losing (usually) but in this, the rounds are so quickly over that 1 or 2 misplays of even half your team and it's over.. this is typical ADHD console garbage imo.. with the settings menu of a PC, but the gameplay of destiny essentially... some are gonna like that, personally I don't.

Caveat: I hated TF2 already... so I was expecting this

This comment was edited on May 5, 2016, 21:39.

37. Re: Overwatch Open Beta Opens May 5, 2016, 19:34 Sepharo

descender wrote on May 5, 2016, 17:52:
A separate announcement today, they are pushing back "ranked play" to post-launch. Weak.

That is disappointing considering it was in the closed beta. I think I'm at level 16 right now so I had 9 more levels to go to unlock it anyway.

But honestly the matchmaking I'm getting with a group of good players is pretty excellent even without the competitive ladder. We're being put into games with other level 15-20 and these are some intense matches. Seeing other teams utilize new strategies and having to respond to those is fun as hell. I basically didn't see Zarya at all until sometime after level 10 and that bubble shield she puts on people is pretty effective. Just like anything in the game the first few times you see it you're like, "that's OP as hell!" but then you figure out some counter strategies and iterates from there.

36. Re: Overwatch Open Beta Opens May 5, 2016, 17:55 RedEye9

descender wrote on May 5, 2016, 16:43:
So since the FOV is not an issue in any way...

This is the part where you explain how "larger screen elements" help people "aim and hit shit". This makes zero sense. Look how big the crosshair is i can't miss! Said no one, ever.

I modded the crosshair on solitaire, it is amaZeBaLLs. Now I never miss.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

35. Re: Overwatch Open Beta Opens May 5, 2016, 17:52 descender

A separate announcement today, they are pushing back "ranked play" to post-launch. Weak.  

34. Re: Overwatch Open Beta Opens May 5, 2016, 17:24 CJ_Parker

descender wrote on May 5, 2016, 16:43:

This is the part where you explain how "larger screen elements" help people "aim and hit shit". This makes zero sense. Look how big the crosshair is i can't miss! Said no one, ever.

Dude... zoomed in perspective/scale and huge XXL characters + huge crosshairs = reflecting the huge hitboxes = easy to hit shit with little precision (ideal for console controllers).

I have personally scored many kills where I just shot in someone's general direction and where I was very surprised to see I got the kill. The hit boxes must be half the screen or something.

And that was without using an aimbot skill. With the retarded aimbot skills you don't even have to aim in the general direction. Just press the ability button and fire. Of course they made those abilities for consoles. This game is full of compromises aimed at pleasing the console crowd to make the game a rewarding frag fest even when played with an imprecise input device such as a controller.
It's super casual friendly because even complete drunk morons can get kills just by using the aimbot skill and fire button and then feel great about their "m4d 1337 skillz0rz".

33. Re: Overwatch Open Beta Opens May 5, 2016, 17:05 Esoteric

32. Re: Overwatch Open Beta Opens May 5, 2016, 16:43 descender

This comment was edited on May 5, 2016, 16:53.

31. Re: Overwatch Open Beta Opens May 5, 2016, 16:28 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on May 5, 2016, 16:14:
Game is super fun if you like small squad size battles and the map design so far is pretty decent.

This may be the MegaTF in me talking, but I kinda want a 2Fort5 map for this game. Something where you have to mix defense and offense. I suppose that wouldn't fit their quick focused match mentality though.

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >