Respawn Developing a Star Wars Game

A post by EA celebrates Star Wars day with the revelation that Respawn Entertainment (Titanfall) is developing a third-person action/adventure game set in the Star Wars universe. There's more on the news on the Respawn blog where there's a letter from Stig Asmussen calling the project "the chance of a lifetime," and noting they are adding staff to help complete the game. Here's more of what he has to say:
But it’s not all fun and games — we promise to pay respect to the Star Wars legacy at all times, a fact that will be constantly reinforced and honored as a central game design tenet. Fans should expect the exemplary level of quality first established at Respawn with Titanfall, a game that epitomizes our studio’s dedication to slick, larger-than-life action and fun, groundbreaking mechanics. Moving forward, we couldn’t ask for a better universe in which to continue this journey, and although I would love to share all of the exciting places we are going, we have the following piece of information to divulge with you all today:

We’ll be making a third-person action/adventure game set in the Star Wars universe.

Now, I understand on the surface this might sound a bit dry, but developing a game within the ever-expanding Star Wars universe opens up so many paths for us to go down, and an unparalleled playground to design within. We have already planted the seeds by assembling a small, but incredibly talented team, ready for the amazing journey that lies ahead. With this in mind we are looking to expand the dream.
View : : :
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: The Battle for Star Control Continues
Jan 31, 2018, 20:08
Re: The Battle for Star Control Continues Jan 31, 2018, 20:08
Jan 31, 2018, 20:08

Sepharo wrote on May 4, 2016, 18:24:
Coming in 2020!

Nearly 2 years after you made this comment and it's confirmed that the likely date is in fact 2020!

Re: Respawn Developing Star Wars Game
May 6, 2016, 09:53
Re: Respawn Developing Star Wars Game May 6, 2016, 09:53
May 6, 2016, 09:53

CJ_Parker wrote on May 5, 2016, 11:57:
Maniac wrote on May 5, 2016, 08:50:
For me Galaxies was fun until NGE revamp. I actually remember being a white crystal scavenger on Dagobah and felt like a fisherman coming back to the starport and jedies paying handsomely for my catch as soon as I arrived.

You remember some very weird stuff... are you on drugs or just booze?

Hint: There was no Dagobah in SWG.

Indeed on I was on vodka & energy drink. Also the planet I was thinkign was Dathomir. So much for my SW rep.

May 5, 2016, 22:35
Re: Respawn Developing Star Wars Game May 5, 2016, 22:35
May 5, 2016, 22:35

jdreyer wrote on May 5, 2016, 22:08:
Sepharo wrote on May 5, 2016, 19:28:
RamataKahn wrote on May 5, 2016, 18:46:
Sepharo wrote on May 4, 2016, 23:14:
Cutter wrote on May 4, 2016, 20:24:
Wth doesn't someone make a proper Star Wars CRPG both in isometric and 3D? I'd like to see the first dealing with the Thrawn trilogy and the latter done open ended like a TES game. Want to be a bounty hunter? Cool. Want to be a Jawa and scavenge for a living? Why the hell not?

Yeah I'd kill for a proper SP RPG like that. I remember how hyped I was for Galaxies to be that in MMO form. And for a few days it really was like I was Wookie smuggler and then it quickly turned to MMO crap.

Yeah, shame on that mmo for being an mmo!

wait wut?

The point was, I want a Star Wars RPG, but there wasn't one, so I had to settle with a MMORPG instead... but the MMO elements quickly became to obnoxious to look past. It's not necessarily a criticism of Galaxies but a criticism of MMOs in general which I'm not really a fan of.
I'm assuming that you played KOTOR 1 & 2.

Definitely. But that has set characters. It'd be nice for a true CRPG where you can pick your own race, professions, skills, etc.

May 5, 2016, 22:08
Re: Respawn Developing Star Wars Game May 5, 2016, 22:08
May 5, 2016, 22:08

Sepharo wrote on May 5, 2016, 19:28:
Wth doesn't someone make a proper Star Wars CRPG both in isometric and 3D? I'd like to see the first dealing with the Thrawn trilogy and the latter done open ended like a TES game. Want to be a bounty hunter? Cool. Want to be a Jawa and scavenge for a living? Why the hell not?

Yeah I'd kill for a proper SP RPG like that. I remember how hyped I was for Galaxies to be that in MMO form. And for a few days it really was like I was Wookie smuggler and then it quickly turned to MMO crap.

wait wut?

The point was, I want a Star Wars RPG, but there wasn't one, so I had to settle with a MMORPG instead... but the MMO elements quickly became to obnoxious to look past. It's not necessarily a criticism of Galaxies but a criticism of MMOs in general which I'm not really a fan of.
I'm assuming that you played KOTOR 1 & 2.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

May 5, 2016, 19:28
Re: Respawn Developing Star Wars Game May 5, 2016, 19:28
May 5, 2016, 19:28

wait wut?

May 5, 2016, 18:46
Re: Respawn Developing Star Wars Game May 5, 2016, 18:46
May 5, 2016, 18:46

wait wut?

Re: Respawn Developing a Star Wars Game
May 5, 2016, 17:02
Re: Respawn Developing a Star Wars Game May 5, 2016, 17:02
May 5, 2016, 17:02

plz no more, i cant stand it anymore. No more starwars games, its not possible to make a decent sw shooter!

May 5, 2016, 13:29
Re: Respawn Developing a Star Wars Game May 5, 2016, 13:29
May 5, 2016, 13:29

I'd probably pay 200 dollars for a new, well done Jedi Knight game

May 5, 2016, 12:51
KS
Re: Respawn Developing Star Wars Game May 5, 2016, 12:51
May 5, 2016, 12:51
KS

Yeah I'd kill for a proper SP RPG like that. I remember how hyped I was for Galaxies to be that in MMO form. And for a few days it really was like I was Wookie smuggler and then it quickly turned to MMO crap. ToR didn't even try to fulfill the R in the MMORPG acronym, it was just WoW formula in spaaaace.

The first thing my Jawa ass would do is start scavenging for turrets for the top of my giant sandcrawler. Screw those too-accurate imps!

BTW, in the remote chance of that as a game, lemme optionally use jawas or droids as gunners rather than force me into a minigame.

May 5, 2016, 11:57
Re: Respawn Developing Star Wars Game May 5, 2016, 11:57
May 5, 2016, 11:57

Maniac wrote on May 5, 2016, 08:50:
For me Galaxies was fun until NGE revamp. I actually remember being a white crystal scavenger on Dagobah and felt like a fisherman coming back to the starport and jedies paying handsomely for my catch as soon as I arrived.

You remember some very weird stuff... are you on drugs or just booze?

Hint: There was no Dagobah in SWG.

May 5, 2016, 08:58
Re: Respawn Developing Star Wars Game May 5, 2016, 08:58
May 5, 2016, 08:58

ZeroPike1 wrote on May 5, 2016, 03:34:

Give it a fallout-like treatment..

But whatever comes, as an RPG is needs a crafting system. Not sure if /s or not on that idea however.

Which Fallout, there are only two real FO games that are good.

Crafting system, why?

May 5, 2016, 08:50
Re: Respawn Developing Star Wars Game May 5, 2016, 08:50
May 5, 2016, 08:50

Yeah I'd kill for a proper SP RPG like that. I remember how hyped I was for Galaxies to be that in MMO form. And for a few days it really was like I was Wookie smuggler and then it quickly turned to MMO crap. ToR didn't even try to fulfill the R in the MMORPG acronym, it was just WoW formula in spaaaace.

Also was super nice community back then. Remember paying 20mil for a chance to buy a watermelon off of a true genuine beginner asking about how to make money and start a career in Galaxies and only had a watermelon to sell. Action was done, many laughs were had. Good times.

And enough of nostalgia for today

As for the Respawn game I will remain skeptical until I see something more on the matter. for me TFA already spoiled the setting. If they were to do something in the EP 4-6 or between 3 and 4 I would love. But right now too little information.

May 5, 2016, 03:59
Kxmode

Re: Respawn Developing a Star Wars Game May 5, 2016, 03:59
May 5, 2016, 03:59
 Kxmode

Calling it today: Star Wars 1313. EA got all the assets for this project from LucasArts and saw that there was potential. Star Wars meets Gears of Wars perhaps. Something more gritty in the Star Wars universe. Who knows how far they got but if the E3 preview videos were any indicator it looks like they got passed the brainstorm phase, the concept phase, engine dev phase, and was in production phase. That's a lot to stuff to work with. Plus Respawn used to work on Call of Duty so working on 1313 is something they could easily transition into.

So mark today, May 5, 2016: Respawn is working on reviving Star Wars 1313.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

May 5, 2016, 03:52
Re: Respawn Developing Star Wars Game May 5, 2016, 03:52
May 5, 2016, 03:52

a third-person action/adventure

Lost me at that point...Like we need another one of those. *Sigh*

May 5, 2016, 03:42
Re: Respawn Developing Star Wars Game May 5, 2016, 03:42
May 5, 2016, 03:42

ZeroPike1 wrote on May 5, 2016, 03:34:
jdreyer wrote on May 5, 2016, 02:29:

Which modern RPG provides a framework for the Star Wars RPG you'd like to see?

Honestly that is a legitimately good question. But bearing in mind it worked well with Knight of the Old Republic 1+2. Minus the space "shooting" sections.

Give it a fallout-like treatment, make it so settlements/places of interest are planets/space locals, and the travel time between them is in a space ship. And toss in faction joining, so Empire or Rebels or Hutt faction story lines.

Or give it a Witcher treatment, and replace Geralt with a Jedi and the environment to alien planets.

But whatever comes, as an RPG is needs a crafting system. Not sure if /s or not on that idea however.

I love Geralt, and actually the character and books more than the game... But I'd also love to see an RPG that doesn't have main character done in that style, to a lesser degree that engine. Hoping Cyberpunk 2077 scratches that itch. But yeah a Star Wars game like that would be ace.

May 5, 2016, 03:34
Re: Respawn Developing Star Wars Game May 5, 2016, 03:34
May 5, 2016, 03:34

jdreyer wrote on May 5, 2016, 02:29:

Honestly that is a legitimately good question. But bearing in mind it worked well with Knight of the Old Republic 1+2. Minus the space "shooting" sections.

Give it a fallout-like treatment, make it so settlements/places of interest are planets/space locals, and the travel time between them is in a space ship. And toss in faction joining, so Empire or Rebels or Hutt faction story lines.

Or give it a Witcher treatment, and replace Geralt with a Jedi and the environment to alien planets.

May 5, 2016, 02:29
Re: Respawn Developing Star Wars Game May 5, 2016, 02:29
May 5, 2016, 02:29

To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

May 5, 2016, 02:27
Re: Respawn Developing Star Wars Game May 5, 2016, 02:27
May 5, 2016, 02:27

Slick wrote on May 5, 2016, 00:09:
It would be nice if people generally accepted the idea that new games are allowed to be new...

Are our highest aspirations to mimic what has already been done? From a creative standpoint, it's depressing.

I'm interested to see what Respawn has in store.

You had better not have sex. That's already been done. Your parents did that in fact. Ew. It's depressing. It would be nice if you generally accepted the idea that you needed to try something new...

May 5, 2016, 00:09
Slick

Re: Respawn Developing Star Wars Game May 5, 2016, 00:09
May 5, 2016, 00:09
 Slick

It would be nice if people generally accepted the idea that new games are allowed to be new...

Are our highest aspirations to mimic what has already been done? From a creative standpoint, it's depressing.

I'm interested to see what Respawn has in store.
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

May 4, 2016, 23:14
Re: Respawn Developing Star Wars Game May 4, 2016, 23:14
May 4, 2016, 23:14

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older