Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Announced

SEGA announces Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III, a IIIrd installment in Relic's sci-fi RTS series, and the Dawn of War website reflects the announcement, offering an announcement trailer. The game doesn't yet carry a release date, as the announcement doesn't include loads of details:
At long last, the sun rises on a new age of battle! Relic Entertainment and SEGA Europe Ltd. today announced Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III, the long-awaited third instalment of the critically-acclaimed real-time strategy franchise. The loyal are rewarded!

Dawn of War III immerses players in the escalating brutality of galactic warfare, where they will lead elite hero units and colossal armies to victory, or oblivion. Powerful super-walkers will tower over the front lines as screen-shaking assaults blister the battlefield in an all-out, over-the-top spectacle worthy of the iconic Games Workshop® Warhammer 40,000 universe.

Building on 12 years of explosive gameplay, Dawn of War III combines the epic scale of Dawn of War, with the customization and elite heroes of Dawn of War II. The result is a best-in-class edition giving players the rich strategic experience, stunning visuals, and catastrophic surprises that they’ve come to expect as Relic brings the franchise into the modern era.

“This is the Dawn of War that fans have been waiting for,” said Stephen MacDonald, the title’s Executive Producer. “Our biggest units ever? Check. Giant orbital lasers? Check. Base-building, epic heroes, huge battles, it’s all in there. Get ready for the biggest Dawn of War yet. For the Emperor!”

In an announcement trailer released on the official Dawn of War III YouTube Channel this morning, Relic revealed the devastating forces of Space Marines, Eldar, and Orks locked in battle, slipping ever deeper into the darkness of endless war.

With previous instalments released prior to Relic’s acquisition in 2013, Dawn of War III will be a landmark release for Relic: its first main title produced entirely as a SEGA®-owned studio.

“This announcement is a big moment for all of us at Relic, and at SEGA,” said Justin Dowdeswell, General Manager at Relic. “We’re setting the bar for what we can achieve, and showing players what they can expect from us in the future. This is just the beginning.”

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Announced May 5, 2016, 10:32 KilrathiAce

Despoiler wrote on May 5, 2016, 00:20:
Most of you should learn to read more.

http://www.pcgamer.com/dawn-of-war-3-inside-relics-biggest-rts-yet/

"Big armies are back"
"Bases return"
"You collect and level up elite units"
"Super units are the series' biggest yet"

Yea and dumbified cover system, no mention of last stand mode which what kept dow2 from being dead for long time, and the pics look like something from dow2 just modded.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Announced May 5, 2016, 00:20 Despoiler

Most of you should learn to read more.

http://www.pcgamer.com/dawn-of-war-3-inside-relics-biggest-rts-yet/

"Big armies are back"
"Bases return"
"You collect and level up elite units"
"Super units are the series' biggest yet"

24. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Announced May 4, 2016, 14:54 FloorPie

For the glory of the Imperium!

Bout damn time Relic.

23. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Announced May 4, 2016, 12:15 El Pit

VaranDragon wrote on May 4, 2016, 04:00:
Not as good as the intro trailer for the first Dawn of War, but pretty close. Lets hope the game is just as good, even though I believe the RTS genre to be on life support as it is...

RTS on a console or for the casual (console) gamer = does not work

That is why RTS is a niche genre now after ruling pc gaming for a few years decades ago. Niche = not enough profit for the shareholders = let us rather make multiplayer shooter XYZ or qte clickfest 1138. Rinse, repeat.

I am looking forward to DoW III. Yes, I am not afraid to say that I enjoyed DoW II, too. It was much moren an ARPG than an RTS, of course, but I liked the story and the characters, and the gameplay was alright.

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

22. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Announced May 4, 2016, 11:20 PHJF

I hope people are paying attention to whom the publisher is... -> SEGA

Well it would have to be since SEGA owns Relic...

Steam + PSN: PHJF

21. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Announced May 4, 2016, 09:29 Task

I hope people are paying attention to whom the publisher is... -> SEGA. Expect a 4th race to be a preorder gimick or at least 10 DLCs. See the Total War series for reference and more so Total War Warhammer.  

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

20. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Announced May 4, 2016, 09:05 Wallshadows

Sounds like they are taking the best parts of both titles

UNLEASH THE GIANTS
Take control of towering war machines and tip the balance of battle in your favor with the biggest characters in Dawn of War history. Turn the tide with the mighty Imperial Knight (Space Marine), the clattering Gorkanaut (Ork), or the haunting Wraithknight (Eldar).

COLOSSAL BATTLES
Dawn of War is famous for its epic action and those immense clashes are back - but now they're off-the-scale. Wage war with massive armies across violent volcanic terrain or onboard battlecruisers travelling fast through space.

CALL UP YOUR ELITE
Take your battle plans to another level by deploying powerful collectible elite squads, each boasting their own special abilities and bonuses that will help you unlock and develop new attacking strategies to conquer your foes.

DESTRUCTIVE ABILITIES
Cause devastation on the battlefield with powerful super-abilities. Rain down total destruction on your enemies with the Space Marine's Orbital Bombardment, the Eldar's blistering Eldritch Storm or the Ork’s Rokks to counter your unsuspecting rivals.

THREE-FACTION CAMPAIGN
Learn what makes each force formidable through alternating missions. You'll soon come to understand the combat advantages of Space Marines, Orks, and Eldar and the rules of a universe with no heroes or villains… only war.

ONE ARMY TO RULE
Build your own universal army from the very first moment you are matched in a melee. Progress through battle after battle with loyal troops by your side across both challenging campaign missions and dominating multiplayer maps.

A NEW DAWN ONLINE
Your army will wreak havoc in online co-operative mode. Join the multiplayer community and forge new alliances - then turn the tables on your new 'friends' as they become foes in explosive, chaotic and competitive maps.

The trailer caught me off guard as I didn't even know there was a third title being made, let alone far enough along to have a four minute trailer of pure hype at the ready. Opened up steam, saw the DoW3 screencap and got blown away.

19. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Announced May 4, 2016, 07:30 Bub

DOW I was a masterpiece, DOW II was the pits. DOW I had large expansive maps, DOW II had tiny maps designed and scripted like MOBA lanes.

When companies know their game is crap, they resort to CGI only promos.
Given the complete use of CGI to market this, DOW III must be like II or worse.

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================

18. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Announced May 4, 2016, 06:55 KilrathiAce

Based on pics from pc gamer this looks less like a w40k game and more like starcraft crap, further it actually looks worse and same at best as dow2 a game that came out what 7 years ago? Come on now.

Dow2 had 4 races at initial release. This has 3? They better sure make up for this with better campaign for each but dont hold your breath. Further, no mention of last stand mode, a mode that saved dow2 initially from being totally dead(before they also turned it into stand alone game).

Oh and I forgot... they said they simplified(dumbified) cover...

VaranDragon wrote on May 4, 2016, 04:00:
Not as good as the intro trailer for the first Dawn of War, but pretty close. Lets hope the game is just as good, even though I believe the RTS genre to be on life support as it is...
- This trailer looks more like bam you got 3 races, start mindless fight. Initially the trailer looked like there maybe something to it but after about 40 seconds you realize nope.

Trevellian wrote on May 3, 2016, 22:21:
Gameplay or GTFO. Tired of CG trailers.
Does it have large armies and base building like DOW1? If not, GTFO.
Tired of the same 3 fucking races every time too. I miss all the races from the expansions in DOW1, they need to bring back some Tau and Tyranid and Sisters. Fuck Blood Raven, and fuck the Eldar.

Yes the usual 3 races but we are moving into more inferior progression, dow2 had 4 races and this has only 3, I guess they liked 3 to sync with only 3 races... Come on now give us dark eldar instead of eldar this time but nope lets do same races totally once again.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

17. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Announced May 4, 2016, 05:00 NetHead

Dawn of War was great, replayed it a while ago and was still very enjoyable.

Though on this I'm not liking those screenshots. I have no interest in blizzard/cartoon aesthetics and no interest in Dawn of War being portrayed in mickey mouse colours.

If it's not representative of their direction they shouldn't have released the images.

16. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Announced May 4, 2016, 04:00 VaranDragon

15. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Announced May 4, 2016, 00:47 Rhett

There's a PC Gamer article with some screenshots. And it has base building.

I don't have it, I just came across it earlier in a google search. It looks decent.

14. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Announced May 3, 2016, 23:44 Creston

Let's hope it'll be cool. Dark Crusade was an absolutely fantastic game.

13. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Announced May 3, 2016, 23:23 jacobvandy

Like others have said, it had better be a complete 180 from the direction they took DOW 2... Everything they've done since then has been pretty crappy, at least in comparison to the greatness that was DOW 1 + expansions and COH 1 + first expansion.  

12. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Announced May 3, 2016, 22:57 bigspender

Trevellian wrote on May 3, 2016, 22:21:

+1 I wanna see gameplay not CG that has nothing to do with what the game will be like.

11. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Announced May 3, 2016, 22:21 Trevellian

Does it have large armies and base building like DOW1? If not, GTFO.
Tired of the same 3 fucking races every time too. I miss all the races from the expansions in DOW1, they need to bring back some Tau and Tyranid and Sisters. Fuck Blood Raven, and fuck the Eldar.

-C22

10. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Announced May 3, 2016, 22:08 Slashman

Screw co-op! Give me a proper friggin' RTS with shit to actually build!  

9. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Announced May 3, 2016, 21:42 Parias

Osc8r wrote on May 3, 2016, 21:04:
That was epic!

Really enjoyed first two, so looking forward to this. They better bring back the awesome co-op campaign gameplay though.

Agreed! The full campaign co-op in the second game and it's respective expansions was fucking terrific. Co-op has been the primary motivator for me playing through them over and over again.

I really hope they do it again.

8. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Announced May 3, 2016, 21:41 MoreLuckThanSkill

Tone84 wrote on May 3, 2016, 20:57:
Looks promising, I loved the first Dawn of War... not the second so much. Hope this is like the first.

Same. After I wore out the first game, I put another 100 hours or so into DoW1 mods. Great game overall. The second one... still can't bring myself to finish it.

Looks like they dug up the trailer team that did the original (vanilla) DoW1 trailer; I love it

*EDIT* Looks like they are claiming base building and large scale battles... that's the right direction at least.

7. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Announced May 3, 2016, 21:32 .Drifter

Turn that trailer into a movie, and I'd buy a ticket!  

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >