Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Battleborn Begins

2K Games announces the release of Battleborn, Gearbox Software's new "first-person hero-shooter" for Windows, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. The Battleborn website has all the details on the launch, along with the recent launch trailer showing things off. Here's the badass-free word on the release and plans for additional free content:

Battleborn is a first-person hero-shooter with a large starting roster of 25 unique playable heroes, which will continue to grow with five additional, free heroes after launch; an episodic-style Story Mode that can be played solo, 2-player console split-screen, or up to 5-player online co-op; and three 5v5 Competitive Multiplayer Modes: Capture, Incursion, and Meltdown. For an in-depth look at all of Battleborn’s heroes, gameplay systems, and lore, check out the Bootcamp video below.

How did the fight to save the universe come down to this very last star? Check out the Battleborn Prequel Motion Comics to see how the fight to save Solus started.

POST-LAUNCH CONTENT
As we mentioned above, you can expect plenty of new content coming your way after launch. Now that we’re done creating and launching Battleborn, we’ll be able to focus on developing post-launch content.

You can expect five more heroes hitting after launch – completely FREE – for all platforms, bringing the total roster to 30! In addition, competitive multiplayer modes, maps, balance updates, and community features will also be free.

The first of five new heroes will be the water-wielding, healer-turned-warrior, Alani. Below is some concept art of Alani as well as some hints to the other four characters. These characters are only just entering development and may change before their arrival in the Solus System.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: Battleborn Begins May 6, 2016, 09:36 SpectralMeat

cackle wrote on May 6, 2016, 00:53:
However, the greed of this game, price tag, DLC, is there a cash shop too?
No cash shop
Cdkeys have it for $32

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Battleborn Begins May 6, 2016, 00:53 cackle

After playing Overwatch open beta, I might give this game a go, Overwatch seems like yet another fish in the barrel shooter, made for casuals to come to FPS levels they don't have.. So its basically Smite Arena in a Team Fortress setting... Its pretty bad, and if you have any FPS skills, you won't like this Overwatch game, cuz your opposing casual nubs, can walk in and kill you like nothing. Too linear, too fast, you never get to hunt that character always someone shooting you in the back, as there again is no flanks that are not deathtraps for squishy assassins, you walk into a hallway a grenadier blows your face to smithereens, go down the road, you get sniped, take a shot at an enemy and some dude is pulling you in with a chain for a one shot kill thereafter... rinse repeast, stupidity

However, the greed of this game, price tag, DLC, is there a cash shop too? I feel milked and have to pay even more.. so hard to buy it.. maybe at $19.99 heh

43. Re: Battleborn Begins May 5, 2016, 11:48 SpectralMeat

I can echo Quinn
I went and played some coop last night and it was great fun

Steam: SpectralMeat

42. Re: Battleborn Begins May 5, 2016, 11:45 Quinn

descender wrote on May 5, 2016, 09:54:
Peaked at 12k players on launch day. Good or not this game is fucked for longevity.

That's sad, though, because it's a good game. It's well balanced and FUN! I'll have my review up hopefully come Saturday. Having a blast, like Slick.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

41. Re: Battleborn Begins May 5, 2016, 09:54 descender

Peaked at 12k players on launch day. Good or not this game is fucked for longevity.  

40. Re: Battleborn Begins May 5, 2016, 03:46 Sepharo

Wasn't really interested in your response. Just incredulous that you didn't catch the gist when he said stuff like, "maybe your definition of an age is like 5 minutes" and "change your forum handle from Slick, to Slick Hype". Usually "hype" wouldn't be a way to describe "hope it picks up".  

39. Re: Battleborn Begins May 4, 2016, 23:37 Slick

Sepharo wrote on May 4, 2016, 14:59:
Slick wrote on May 4, 2016, 08:39:
VaranDragon wrote on May 4, 2016, 04:10:
Slick wrote on May 4, 2016, 03:23:

I really hope it picks up, it's the most fun FPS game I've played in AGES.

Hey Slick, don't you write that about every new game that's released? Like The Division, Star Wars: Battlefront, BF4, etc. etc. etc. Hmm, maybe your definition of an age is like 5 minutes. Or maybe your attention span is really, really short.

In any case, you should change your forum handle from Slick, to Slick Hype, or something more appropriate

Never said: "I hope the Division picks up..." It sold like 10 million copies in the first week or some shit. BF4 still has more than 30,000 concurrent players 2 years after launch...

Battlefront on PC however, was less than 10,000 concurrent players after the first week.. yeah, i did hope that game picked up.

As I hope Battleborn does. If you don't think that the current 6000 concurrent players of a hot new game the day after launch isn't low, I don't know how to help you.

This can't be a good faith response can it? You actually think his point was about "hope it picks up"? ... It's plain as day that he was talking about "most fun FPS game I've played in AGES" which you do tend to say about everything.

Well, silly me. I assumed he was commenting on my point, which was "I hope it picks up". As in "It's only been out for a day, no need to worry about the numbers".

Of course I see that it was just a comment on me enjoying things. boo slick. booo.

Star Wars was fun, but it was more of an "experience", same with The Division. I should have clarified saying that the GAMEPLAY of Battleborn is the most fun I've had in ages. It's just straight up frantic combat. I get about the same amount of satisfaction from a 20 minute match in Battleborn than hours of running in circles in The Division, or an hour-long match of Walker Assault in SW:B. Which is good for me, as these days I'm busy as fuck with work. Happy now? who am kidding, asking a BN poster if they're happy... HA!

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

38. Re: Battleborn Begins May 4, 2016, 14:59 Sepharo

Slick wrote on May 4, 2016, 08:39:

Hey Slick, don't you write that about every new game that's released? Like The Division, Star Wars: Battlefront, BF4, etc. etc. etc. Hmm, maybe your definition of an age is like 5 minutes. Or maybe your attention span is really, really short.

In any case, you should change your forum handle from Slick, to Slick Hype, or something more appropriate

Never said: "I hope the Division picks up..." It sold like 10 million copies in the first week or some shit. BF4 still has more than 30,000 concurrent players 2 years after launch...

Battlefront on PC however, was less than 10,000 concurrent players after the first week.. yeah, i did hope that game picked up.

As I hope Battleborn does. If you don't think that the current 6000 concurrent players of a hot new game the day after launch isn't low, I don't know how to help you.

This can't be a good faith response can it? You actually think his point was about "hope it picks up"? ... It's plain as day that he was talking about "most fun FPS game I've played in AGES" which you do tend to say about everything.

37. Re: Battleborn Begins May 4, 2016, 14:54 Quinn

Slick wrote on May 4, 2016, 09:58:
Ugh, this waiting 5-10 minute to find a match everytime is fucking killing me... I keep seeing the same 20 people too, I think the server they're putting me on serves an area of 100 sq miles

Got the same issue. Will be fixed I'm sure but fuck me is this annoying!

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

36. Re: Battleborn Begins May 4, 2016, 09:58 Slick

Ugh, this waiting 5-10 minute to find a match everytime is fucking killing me... I keep seeing the same 20 people too, I think the server they're putting me on serves an area of 100 sq miles  

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

35. Re: Battleborn Begins May 4, 2016, 09:11 Slick

I just found out that all the DLC packs only comtain one co-op map, and no MP maps...

If they're planning on releasing new MP maps for free, for everyone, then that's amazing. Won't splinter the MP community..

However I haven't seen anything to indicate that this is the case... I hope I'm wrong

34. Re: Battleborn Begins May 4, 2016, 08:39 Slick

This comment was edited on May 4, 2016, 09:22.

33. Re: Battleborn Begins May 4, 2016, 07:42 Bub

Looks like a Disney version of Loadout, which we all know was/is a flop.

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================

32. Re: Battleborn Begins May 4, 2016, 04:10 VaranDragon

31. Re: Battleborn Begins May 4, 2016, 03:38 Slick

The more I think about it, 6 MP maps, it's pretty abysmal. you have 2 maps on each mode. Battlefront got crucified for this when their offense was far less egregious. Battlefront had 4 maps on the big modes and 9 on the small ones (8 game modes compared with 3 on BattleBorn) at launch. Not to mention they've since added 4 free maps, with another 2 on the way. Almost triple Battleborn's MP map count. And it's not like Battleborn maps are big, they're arena sized...

Yeah I know battlefront didn't have a SP campaign, but Battleborn I thought was being billed mostly as an online FPS MOBA style shooter. and there's actually only 4 MP maps with any AI in it, 2 of them is just 5v5 heroes. So if you're looking to get a lot of replay value out of the MP, that's an issue. 4 maps for the style of game I want to play, fuck me. Such a fun game though.

They better have some free content planned. 6 maps (4 on gamemodes that are new/fun) is not cool. I should have looked into this more before buying. Finally someone gets the FPS MOBA formula down right (plays like an FPS) and it's squandered on this shit.

30. Re: Battleborn Begins May 4, 2016, 03:31 DarkCntry

ViRGE wrote on May 4, 2016, 02:09:
DarkCntry wrote on May 3, 2016, 19:01:
PHJF wrote on May 3, 2016, 18:35:
Have you played Borderlands before?
Character movement feels exactly like it.

That would be terrible for a game I always assumed was trying to compete with Overwatch.

Except Overwatch and Battleborn are two different genres...
As someone who hasn't paid a whole lot of attention to either game so far and is just lumping those together as "colorful class based shooter," I'd very much like to get a good explanation of how they're different.

Best way to put it...

Overwatch = TF2
Battleborn = Borderlands (Team-oriented co-op with skills) crossed with Smite (MOBA-style in 2 PVP game modes, 3 point capture in the last PVP mode)

29. Re: Battleborn Begins May 4, 2016, 03:23 Slick

Tipsy McStagger wrote on May 3, 2016, 11:55:
Still trying to decide PC or PS4...

Would play both on keyboard/mouse with that XIM4 adapter..

PC is a beast.. PS4 is a PS4..

Its about player base...

PC player base is disappointingly small at the moment, peak 12,000 users on steam today...

They should have called it "Boarderlands Infinite" and it would have sold millions on PC...

I really hope it picks up, it's the most fun FPS game I've played in AGES. genuinely fun all around, co-op, MP, it's funny, it's twitchy, abilities, melee heros, it's everything I'm looking for.

Sad thing is the classic "MOBA" game mode only seems to have 2 maps... which is 1 more than DOTA2, but still, guess I'll have to get the DLC.

If anyone hasn't bought it yet, do yourself a favor and spend another $15 and get the deluxe edition, comes with the season pass and 3 legendary loot packs. On Kinguin for like $45. Or base game for $30. Such a steal.

28. Re: Battleborn Begins May 4, 2016, 02:09 ViRGE

DarkCntry wrote on May 3, 2016, 19:01:
PHJF wrote on May 3, 2016, 18:35:
Have you played Borderlands before?
Character movement feels exactly like it.

That would be terrible for a game I always assumed was trying to compete with Overwatch.

Except Overwatch and Battleborn are two different genres...
As someone who hasn't paid a whole lot of attention to either game so far and is just lumping those together as "colorful class based shooter," I'd very much like to get a good explanation of how they're different.

27. Re: Battleborn Begins May 3, 2016, 23:52 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on May 3, 2016, 19:10:
ForgedReality wrote on May 3, 2016, 18:29:
Help me out here. Is "post-launch content" the new "DLC" where they can't be bothered to actually release a finished game, so they excuse that on the false premise that they're doing a service to gamers by continuing to support it, when in reality, they're just finishing the game after charging people for a partial experience so they don't get sued, or what?
I dunno, maybe. I haven't played it, but it sounds like a fair bit of content

- 25 unique playable characters
- 9 SP missions, totaling 12-15 hours or so.
- 6 MP maps
- 3 MP modes

And they're promising a bunch of free characters, maps, and modes soon. I guess you could call it "unfinished" but a game like this is pretty modular, so stuff can be added continuously to expand the game. When do you draw the line? I guess it depends on how much your trust GB to deliver. I've always found they've delivered a ton of value in their original games like BL 1 & 2, both of which I have 150 or so hours in each. My son started playing BL2 recently, and watching him play really gave me the itch.

Wow just 9 coop maps, they better be HUUUUGE!

26. Re: Battleborn Begins May 3, 2016, 23:17 Suppa7

ForgedReality wrote on May 3, 2016, 18:29:
when in reality, they're just finishing the game after charging people for a partial experience so they don't get sued, or what?

It's been that way since around 2001, when xbox 1 came out and ms started charging people for xbox live and not to mention horse armor. Shit is ancient, there is a new generation of kids that has no memory pre 2000 so they have no fucking clue how fucked up gaming is and how corrupt the industry actually is.

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo