Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta

Bethesda.net announces open beta testing of modification tools for Fallout 4, explaining they have built a new system to make mods easier and more accessible than before. They offer a Mods and the Creation Kit showing things off and further explaining their outlook on supporting user-created content. They offer instructions on how to get the creation kit and opt in to the open beta on Steam, and promise console users mod support in June. Here's more:
Mods and the players who create them have always been an important part of our games, going all the way back to Morrowind and The Elder Scrolls Construction Set. We believe that our games become something much more special, when we put the power of creation in your hands. New quests, environments, characters, dialogue, outfits, weapons and more – with Mods, the possibilities of what you can do are endless. You are creating new experiences that enhance and take our games into amazing and surprising new directions.

For Fallout 4, our goal was to make Mods easier and more accessible than ever before – for both the creators and the players. By building an all-new system with Bethesda.net we’ve made a huge leap forward in achieving that.

You can now browse and search for the latest and greatest Mods, choose your favorites, post feedback, and install them – all within the game. Simply select Mods from the main menu, and start browsing. You can also browse through mods online on Bethesda.net.
View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 29, 2016, 05:23 VaranDragon

Tachikoma wrote on Apr 28, 2016, 14:17:
VaranDragon wrote on Apr 28, 2016, 04:06:
Waiting for the mod that will make Fallout4 an actual roleplaying game...

Got anything to back this up, or is it just an automatic response snark because Bethsoft?

Go and play the game and then come back to me with this shit. Don't even have to play the game, just play one NPC encounter and try different dialogue choices...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 28, 2016, 14:57 ItBurn

Dunkirk wrote on Apr 28, 2016, 14:37:
I think this comment arises because there's really no way to play the game as a "bad guy." All of the dialog choices basically move you along the same path of being a hero.

There's indeed very little RPG left in Fallout 4 and I think this is agreed by almost everyone. Not saying it's a bad game.

19. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 28, 2016, 14:37 Dunkirk

I think this comment arises because there's really no way to play the game as a "bad guy." All of the dialog choices basically move you along the same path of being a hero.  

Acts 17:28 - "For in Him we live, and move, and have our being."

18. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 28, 2016, 14:17 Tachikoma

Got anything to back this up, or is it just an automatic response snark because Bethsoft?

17. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 28, 2016, 10:18 ItBurn

The system is nice because it's actually ingame. There's a menu option for it. You go through mods, select one and the game downloads it and installs it live. It's pretty good.

It's probably going to be limited though. I doubt it'll support the script extender, which is used in every good mod. But I have no idea.

I'm guessing that they'll prevent some mods from being listed for various reasons though, so you'll still probably need to get some mods an other way.

16. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 28, 2016, 09:40 Shineyguy

LittleMe wrote on Apr 28, 2016, 00:14:
CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 27, 2016, 21:41:
Seriously, this shit just takes time. Most people here can not even begin to imagine the mountain of work that goes into providing mod tools of that quality.

This is what project planning is for. It only takes time if they don't allocate the programming resources in advance. If they don't have the resources, they need to hire or plan accordingly. I stand my what I said. They are at least six months late. It needed to into beta on release week. Yes they look like amateurs for many reasons.

In retrospect it looks like this long delay was due to console integration for mods. They should have given the PC community the mod tools from the start so that when it was ready to go on consoles, there would be plenty of mods ready.

Here's a prediction. There will be a half-assed implementation for the in-game mod system and the modding and player community will scream in agony. For example, sorting mod order will be absent or something else that's trivial but essential. Then when people complain about it here on the forums, you'll bitch them out about how difficult it is when in truth most of the hard work has been done on previous games since it's a very old engine.

It's as if Fallout Nexus hasn't existed the past 6 months and has almost 10,000 mods listed for download...

What these mod tools bring us is the expanded capability for mods on PC. Also, a set of tools specific to FO4, and not ones re-purposed from Skyrim.

Also, it's not just programming the tools that had to happen here, they offer full documentation as well with the tools. This is something that takes serious effort on behalf of the game developers. I for one am happy that I didn't have to wait the extra time for FO4 just to wait for the mod tools.

15. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 28, 2016, 05:56 DarkCntry

Subjective desires here...technically the game is a roleplaying game as it allows you to create a character, assign attributes and skills, as well as 'evolve' the character as time goes on, which are basic hallmarks of the genre.

Granted, as years go on, these things start getting muddled, but overall, the game itself is still rooted in the genre's 'requirements'.

14. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 28, 2016, 04:06 VaranDragon

13. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 28, 2016, 01:50 MattyC

LittleMe wrote on Apr 28, 2016, 00:14:
Seriously, this shit just takes time. Most people here can not even begin to imagine the mountain of work that goes into providing mod tools of that quality.

This is what project planning is for. It only takes time if they don't allocate the programming resources in advance. If they don't have the resources, they need to hire or plan accordingly. I stand my what I said. They are at least six months late. It needed to into beta on release week. Yes they look like amateurs for many reasons.

In retrospect it looks like this long delay was due to console integration for mods. They should have given the PC community the mod tools from the start so that when it was ready to go on consoles, there would be plenty of mods ready.

Here's a prediction. There will be a half-assed implementation for the in-game mod system and the modding and player community will scream in agony. For example, sorting mod order will be absent or something else that's trivial but essential. Then when people complain about it here on the forums, you'll bitch them out about how difficult it is when in truth most of the hard work has been done on previous games since it's a very old engine.

I really don't see any studio delaying a release over modding tools not being complete. I mean its rare enough to get developers to release any mod tools in the first place. I mean think back to Half-Life & Unreal (and even before w/ Build engine & Quake games) - mods were everywhere and quality tools were out there. Now? StarCraft II and I guess Bethesda stuff. That is about it and I am having to reach back to 2010 to even include StarCraft.

"I'm Troy McClure, and I'll leave you with what we all came here to see: Hardcore nudity!"

12. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 28, 2016, 00:14 LittleMe

Perpetual debt is slavery.

11. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 28, 2016, 00:13 The Half Elf

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 27, 2016, 21:02:
The Half Elf wrote on Apr 27, 2016, 19:14:
OMG HORSE ARMOR...... *giggles for a second and runs away screaming*

For Fallout 4, the real modding challenge would be to add a horse mod before the horse armor mod though ;p

WATCH THE DAMN VIDEO.

Seriously.. there is ARMOR with the yellow horse on it.
Nothing to do with Elder Scrolls DLC.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

10. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 27, 2016, 23:12 Cutter

It'd be super cool if a mod team could come together and remake Fallout 1 in 3D. That'd be sweet checking out Shady Sands, Junktown, the Boneyard, et al.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

9. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 27, 2016, 21:41 CJ_Parker

LittleMe wrote on Apr 27, 2016, 20:46:
The game came out almost six months ago. Sure there will be a modding community but they really missed their own boat! They can't hire more programmers so they don't look like amateurs?

Amateurs, dude? Seriously? OK. Let's hear it. Name one other AAA dev that releases similarly comprehensive, well working, well documented, user friendly mod tools for their AAA games.

*crickets*

Yup. I thought so, too.

Seriously, this shit just takes time. Most people here can not even begin to imagine the mountain of work that goes into providing mod tools of that quality. I'm not even a Fallout fan and won't ever play FO4 but credit where credit is due, man. Bethesda is an amazing company when it comes to community mod tools.

8. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 27, 2016, 21:15 SlimRam

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 27, 2016, 21:02:

For Fallout 4, the real modding challenge would be to add a horse mod before the horse armor mod though ;p
You should be able to ride your companion...uh...as a horse I mean. I'd imagine there is already a mod for the other kind of riding.

7. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 27, 2016, 21:02 eRe4s3r

6. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 27, 2016, 20:46 LittleMe

The game came out almost six months ago. Sure there will be a modding community but they really missed their own boat! They can't hire more programmers so they don't look like amateurs?  

Perpetual debt is slavery.

5. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 27, 2016, 19:14 The Half Elf

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

4. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 27, 2016, 18:24 Quboid

"For Fallout 4, our goal was to make Mods easier to monetise and accessible to more potential customers than ever before - for both the creators and us. But not Valve"

This seems like the first step towards their own mod shop, where mods are cross-platform and Valve don't get any percentage. I don't mind Valve being bypassed but paid mods are a Pandora's box.

Referencing horse armour in the video doesn't help...

3. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 27, 2016, 17:53 Acleacius

"all new system", what's the chance that means FUBAR'D it, 50%/50%?  

People can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

2. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 27, 2016, 17:45 Creston

Not sure there's much use for PC players for that website, but it seems slick enough for the Xbone and PS4 crowd.

I wonder what the console reception will be to mods suddenly making their game unstable though, because I can pretty much guarantee there's little to no curating being done. (other than curation of content.) Several of the mods currently on there seem like a "crash to desktop" waiting to happen.

This comment was edited on Apr 27, 2016, 17:52.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >