Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Safety Dance

View
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

3. Re: Poor Security of Healthcare Sector Apr 27, 2016, 10:14 Phasenoise

Naive article, and shows little understanding of reality.

Yes, they should / can do a better job with security, but to imply their problems would go away magically by using chrome or windows 10 is stupid. And of course, just might impact operations. Literally, since its a hospital.

Upgrading systems is a nightmare in places like a hospital with 24x7 uptime needs, and zero tolerance for a glitch. When something works, they are understandably loathe to just upgrade because someone says it's better in some way.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: Poor Security of Healthcare Sector Apr 27, 2016, 08:58 Ecthelion

Brazor wrote on Apr 26, 2016, 23:16:
Nothing in that article is shocking.
They're not going to upgrade to win 10 because it's not compatible with the software of the equipment they use or with the software used for charting.
Even if such a switch was available the price is expected to be too high to risk. Given that there will be undiscovered bugs that could cause problems. The lawsuit potential is too high for them to do it.

Microsoft would need to fork over the cash to do it themselves and back it up in court.
That article is awful. 3% usage of Windows XP is actually pretty damned good considering how much old software the Healthcare industry uses that doesn't run on Vista and newer. Using Windows 7 is a problem? Why? It's on Extended Support (i.e. security updates and fixes) for almost 4 more years.

Of course the Healthcare industry uses IE, it's the only browser that is easy to administer. Using old versions is an issue, but it's going to be the norm for Healthcare and probably any industry to mostly use IE. I noticed that the article did not compare the browser stats for other industries, they only compared the usage of IE10 and earlier across industries. So the comparison points aren't even good.

I also thought the statement about Flash was interesting: "while in other sectors Flash was installed on 25 percent of all devices, in healthcare organizations Flash was found on 52 percent of all computers". Notice that it's comparing "devices" in all work sectors versus "computers" in Healthcare. Smartphone, tablets, and other non-computer usage is very prevalent in a lot of industries, so that 25 percent stat is probably deceptively low since all Apple devices and newer Android devices aren't going to have Flash. I would be willing to bet Flash installations are close to 52 percent on actual COMPUTERS in other industries. That shouldn't be surprising either, because as much as Flash sucks, it's still required by tons of websites and applications. I no longer have it installed and I can't even count how many pages I visit won't show me video because of it. The transition to HTML5 is probably going to take several more years, and that's if it ever replaces Flash completely at all, which is far from certain.

What an amateur, horribly written article.

This comment was edited on Apr 27, 2016, 14:48.

1. Re: Poor Security of Healthcare Sector Apr 26, 2016, 23:16 Brazor

Nothing in that article is shocking.
They're not going to upgrade to win 10 because it's not compatible with the software of the equipment they use or with the software used for charting.
Even if such a switch was available the price is expected to be too high to risk. Given that there will be undiscovered bugs that could cause problems. The lawsuit potential is too high for them to do it.

Microsoft would need to fork over the cash to do it themselves and back it up in court.

3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo