Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Op Ed

GamesBeat - Game developers must avoid the 'wage-slave' attitude - by Alex St. John.
"Anybody good enough to get hired to write games can get paid more to work on something else. If working on a game for 80 hours a week for months at a time seems 'strenuous' to you Ö practice more until youíre better at it. Making games is not a job, pushing a mouse is not a hardship, itís the most amazing opportunity you can possibly get paid to pursue Ö start believing it, and youíll discover that you are even better at it."

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

5. Re: Op Ed Apr 17, 2016, 13:05 Luke

Not many believers.... when looking at the state of games today

puto

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Op Ed Apr 17, 2016, 13:00 Stormsinger

Oh goodie...another rich, entitled prick telling those who actually -do- the work to stop bitching about long hours, poor pay and bad management.

Oh, venturebeat...should have known. That's as big a shock as finding an article promoting lower capital gains taxes on Forbes.

3. Re: Op Ed Apr 17, 2016, 12:52 Tachikoma

Eirikrautha wrote on Apr 17, 2016, 12:19:
I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Vambleer is at the forefront of the "I'm a victim, you're a victim" parade. So it makes sense they would be all up in the "this industry isn't fair!" whining. You're right it isn't fair! Try getting press or work and not being a part of the indie in-crowd, Rami. Oh, wait, that hits a little too close to home...

Totally. I don`t actually agree with everything that St.John dude is saying, but I`m down with the main point about the incredibly annoying dev-whine, so trendy these days.

"Entitled" and "sheltered" are the codewords here. I never worked in the gaming biz, but spent few years in media production and it`s kinda similar. Sure, it can be exhausting and stressful, but nothing compared to some real hard work. And of course the rewards are incomparable.

And don`t even start me of on that Vlambeers yupster - they took nearly 3 years to finish a fairly simple roguelite, funded by the modern bizzaro wonder of EA, and now expect to everyone fall over themselves because it`s HIGH ART. Ugh.

2. Re: Op Ed Apr 17, 2016, 12:27 eRe4s3r

Apparently he never found out how to be even crap at it, considering he made exactly ZERO games.  

1. Re: Op Ed Apr 17, 2016, 12:19 Eirikrautha

So, after Alex St. John attempts to restore some sanity to this argument, GamesBeat puts a rebuttal of St. John from the founder of Vambleer right underneath. Ismail is the author of quite a bit of shovelware from a two-man studio. Basically, Ismail works at exactly the sort of indie creative company that St. John says is the most "healthy" for the complainers (and experiences none of the industry issues that come from working at a large firm), and yet he wants to attack St. John for the message!

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Vambleer is at the forefront of the "I'm a victim, you're a victim" parade. So it makes sense they would be all up in the "this industry isn't fair!" whining. You're right it isn't fair! Try getting press or work and not being a part of the indie in-crowd, Rami. Oh, wait, that hits a little too close to home...

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >