Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

New John Romero PC Shooter Teased

A HOXAR Inc. website is live, offering what appears to be a typical online presence for a corporation. This is apparently one of those sneaky viral dealies, however, as a little bird told Shacknews that this is a teaser for an upcoming game from id Software co-founder John Romero. That was enough to spur a seeming confirmation, as The Romero tweets some hashtags indicating a PC first-person shooter is in the works: "Yes, there may be something to this. #pc #fps."
View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: New John Romero PC Shooter Teased Apr 17, 2016, 02:07 Suppa7

Tachikoma wrote on Apr 16, 2016, 05:59:
Suppa7 wrote on Apr 16, 2016, 03:59:
Carmack and others on the other hand aren't so effected by getting rich

Ummm...come again?

Daikatana was a result of romero's bad work ethic and general incompetence at managing game development team back then. That's why people who knew him had issues with romero. That's why romero never released any other game under his name and only dabbled in shitty territory.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: New John Romero PC Shooter Teased Apr 17, 2016, 00:15 Creston

NetHead wrote on Apr 16, 2016, 09:43:
John Romero is deservedly blasted and teased by this bitches, but many seem to forget the great games he is at least partially responsible for like Doom, Quake 1, Heretic/Hexen.

Heretic and Hexen were made by Raven Software. JR wasn't involved with those, was he?

32. Re: New John Romero PC Shooter Teased Apr 16, 2016, 15:23 rudra

daikatana wasnt even all that bad... compared to a lot of indie games today its a damn masterpeice  

31. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Apr 16, 2016, 14:40 Tulwinn

Despite all the stuff that he is poked fun of he was still an important part of some of my favourite games when I was growing up. I think if you removed him from history those games would not have been as good as they were (and I wasted a lot of time in them!) He went off the rails but Id still be happy to see him come back and do good.  

30. Re: New John Romero PC Shooter Teased Apr 16, 2016, 11:10 EricFate

Someone gave a great observation on one of the Duke Nukem (of all places) forums a couple years back.

Romero is good at two things:

1. Designing levels. This, he is excellent at. No seriously, him and Levelord are probably the best in history.
2. Being a gameplay design lead, with the exception of Daikatana.

Things Romero is absolutely horrible at:

1. Managing anything, or anyone.
2. Telling the truth. He's chronically dishonest and blames others for his failures. The best example of this is Mike Wilson. I wouldn't go so far as to brand him a pathological liar though...that's pretty extreme.
3. Maintaining any sort of moral compass. (Insert obligatory child bride Raluca joke here).

Where is Levelord these days anyway? Thinking back on it, he was pretty damn good.

29. Re: New John Romero PC Shooter Teased Apr 16, 2016, 09:43 NetHead

John Romero is deservedly blasted and teased by this bitches, but many seem to forget the great games he is at least partially responsible for like Doom, Quake 1, Heretic/Hexen.

I for one wouldn't mind some kind of Heretic/Hexen spiritual successor even to this day.

Things could go either way with him making a new game, could end up with making a whole lot more bitches or could end up with a new game to play.

Either way as long as he isn't pulling a "The Chairman Chris Roberts" with perpetual crowd funding I'm at least interested to see what comes of it.

28. Re: New John Romero PC Shooter Teased Apr 16, 2016, 08:12 VaranDragon

Well whatever Romero's reasons for joining the fray once again, it's still a huge major LOL, that guy was deservedly the butt of many a joke and his head on a spike was a nice touch from iD back in the day. His former colleagues did after all know him better than most.  

27. Re: New John Romero PC Shooter Teased Apr 16, 2016, 05:59 Tachikoma

Suppa7 wrote on Apr 16, 2016, 03:59:
Carmack and others on the other hand aren't so effected by getting rich

Ummm...come again?

26. Re: New John Romero PC Shooter Teased Apr 16, 2016, 03:59 Suppa7

Overon wrote on Apr 16, 2016, 00:43:
Can someone explain to me the backstory behind the "John Romero will make you his bitch" comment?

Basically romero and company were bragging they were going to make an awesome game. The "make you his bitch" comment was basically bragging up front before the game had been even made. But the game (daikatana) ended up being on of the biggest game development disasters in gaming history. This is why romero is looked down at by the older generation of gamers.

Also his former co-workers post not so nice things about his lazyness when doom became a success. Carmack and everyone got really rich off doom and once the money came in romero started slacking off because there was no compelling reason to work anymore. AKA he's the type that can only work when forced to and given no options. Carmack and others on the other hand aren't so effected by getting rich, carmack worked on a huge lot of other games even if they were sequels outside of doom. Romero not so much. Carmack and company were pushing 3D video cards forward with quake derived tech.

25. Re: New John Romero PC Shooter Teased Apr 16, 2016, 03:17 Tachikoma

Just another elder dev who couldn`t stand the itch any longer: sitting at home and watching how others milk their kickstarters and what have you...no big surprise really.

HOAXAR, geddit?

24. Re: New John Romero PC Shooter Teased Apr 16, 2016, 03:08 VaranDragon

Can someone explain to me the backstory behind the "John Romero will make you his bitch" comment?

Well hello there youngling...:)

23. Re: New John Romero PC Shooter Teased Apr 16, 2016, 02:46 The Half Elf

Quinn wrote on Apr 15, 2016, 20:31:
Although he fucked up the obvious last major title.. Do realize that it was just a mistake. I do not doubt Romero's passion for PC gaming; I do not doubt he has the best intentions for PC gaming. I'm voting on this guy. Lets see what he comes up with.

It wasn't just the last title it was the entire company and his 'ivory tower' management.

Let's go back to DOOM and Quake 1. Without Carmack and his mad skills they wouldn't be shit. Doom series and Quake were a collection of maps that were more tech demo then anything else and put FPS and multiplayer on the map.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

22. Re: New John Romero PC Shooter Teased Apr 16, 2016, 01:55 El Pit

Romero has already succeeded! John Romero is going to make you bitch.  

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

21. Re: New John Romero PC Shooter Teased Apr 16, 2016, 01:40 Creston

They ran a completely retarded ad for Daikatana before its release, saying "John Romero's about to make you his bitch."

For awhile it was believed John had decided on that ad campaign, then he at some point released a statement saying it was all the publisher's fault, and so I'm not really sure what the reality of it is. When Daikatana sucked the life out of kittens upon release, that ad pretty much all anyone ever remembered about it (and about JR mostly.)

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2016, 01:46.

20. Re: New John Romero PC Shooter Teased Apr 16, 2016, 01:27 DukeLeeto

Omg, I remember playing that wonderful demo on MPlayer.  

19. Re: New John Romero PC Shooter Teased Apr 16, 2016, 01:13 SlimRam

This thread just made me it's bitch.  

18. Re: New John Romero PC Shooter Teased Apr 16, 2016, 00:58 NotOneOfUs

Give me an original Doom-level fast paced FPS and all will be forgiven.  

17. Re: New John Romero PC Shooter Teased Apr 16, 2016, 00:54 Timmeh

daikatanas multiplayer demo was totally awesome. played that thing for a while.  

16. Re: New John Romero PC Shooter Teased Apr 16, 2016, 00:43 Overon

15. Re: New John Romero PC Shooter Teased Apr 16, 2016, 00:39 Creston

And here I thought when cliffyb announced/begged that he was coming back to the PC platform, it was about as uninteresting as it could get, but nope. Apparently John needs more money too.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >