Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Safety Dance

View
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 14, 2016, 14:32 Brazor

The people crying over it are fools.
Nostalrius couldn't even scrap together $500 a month in donations to cover the costs of hosting the server. There's also a lot of accusations that the player numbers for those servers are exaggerated to try and show that demand is higher than it really is.

They can offer the servers with a disclaimer that they won't get patched, that their characters can't be transferred, and that their AH may be disabled. I think the people who just wanted to see what it was like would be thrilled with the opportunity.
This won't work. There will still be people who expect it to be maintained and have GM support.

The nostalgia factor is great. But truthfully it only lasts a short while when I go to play something old. That's why Blizz isn't doing it.
Let them blame Activision all they want. It's not going to make it true.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 14, 2016, 12:22 HoSpanky

I've said for years that they should have a vanilla server or two that they activate a couple months after the final content drops for their current expansion. My girlfriend didn't play before Cata, and has no legal way to check out all the zones before they were altered. She never saw when the difference between Frost and Arcane meant gathering completely different gear, and meant that toon would be near completely ineffective during some boss fights, and a wrecking ball in others.

They can offer the servers with a disclaimer that they won't get patched, that their characters can't be transferred, and that their AH may be disabled. I think the people who just wanted to see what it was like would be thrilled with the opportunity.

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 14, 2016, 11:18 Pigeon

I've played on private servers for other games before, so it's not as though I don't understand the allure, beyond playing for free, but I can't say I ever felt righteously entitled to play. What they were doing was illegal and they should be happy they got away with it for as long as they did. Now ideally Blizzard would see there's a market for this sort of thing and be willing to license out to these niche markets. They get more customers, and people get to play a version they want.  

3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo