Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Interviews

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 15, 2016, 10:39 Razumen

Suppa7 wrote on Apr 15, 2016, 06:01:
Verno wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 09:56:
TheVocalMinority wrote on Apr 13, 2016, 08:09:
Came to see assclowns whiteknighting Steam. Left satisfied.

What a cop out. If you have an opinion then voice it otherwise you're just a troll.

The reality is the new generation of gamers/game developers are at retard level, they are going to basically lock down games forever, the masses because they are tech illiterate, newer generations of devs because they don't want to give away control to the game to gamers. AKA limited modding, massive drm, more encryption/denuvo, sandboxing.

The success of "MMO's" (aka the first real drm'd games you nevered owned) rode on the tech dumbness of a generation of gamers who are ok with paying for getting fucked. World of warcraft/everquest sealed the deal, diablo 3, starcraft 2, and The recent release of the division are signs that the end is night. The average gamer buyer is fucking retarded tech illiterate/irrational moron.

Wow, I wish it was April Fools then I wouldn't have to take this post seriously, too much dumb for one morning.

You realize that games that could only be played online have been around for almost as long as gaming has existed? And that the majority of games today actually defy what you're trying to argue for?

No, of course not, because you're too caught up in your hate-brigade of modern gamers and developers for some reason.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 15, 2016, 06:01 Suppa7

Verno wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 09:56:

What a cop out. If you have an opinion then voice it otherwise you're just a troll.

The reality is the new generation of gamers/game developers are at retard level, they are going to basically lock down games forever, the masses because they are tech illiterate, newer generations of devs because they don't want to give away control to the game to gamers. AKA limited modding, massive drm, more encryption/denuvo, sandboxing.

The success of "MMO's" (aka the first real drm'd games you nevered owned) rode on the tech dumbness of a generation of gamers who are ok with paying for getting fucked. World of warcraft/everquest sealed the deal, diablo 3, starcraft 2, and The recent release of the division are signs that the end is night. The average gamer buyer is fucking retarded tech illiterate/irrational moron.

22. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 14, 2016, 09:56 Verno

Playing: Pillars of Eternity 2, Far Cry 5, Persona 5
Watching: Safe, Game Night, Last Flag Flying

21. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 13, 2016, 13:32 MoreLuckThanSkill

Steam is the best of the worst. If there was no Steam, we'd have to deal with the Microsoft Store(or Live back in the day), Origin and Uplay as the only large scale alternatives.

I buy a ton of stuff on Gog, but Gog only exists because of Steam and the other DRM locked platforms. I do hope Gog continues to expand their library, but they are already heading towards Galaxy, and who knows how Steam-like that will eventually turn out.

All that said, I do see quite a few indie games come out on Gog these days, although I'm sure they sell less than similar games that release simultaneously on Gog/Steam/Origin etc.

Steam always has the potential to get drastically worse towards their customers, sure. Nothing wrong with keeping that in the back of your mind while you buy AAA releases for $9 on sale.

For now I'm going to keep cherry picking between Gog, Steam, Origin and Uplay based on whatever deals are going on.

*EDIT* Also, surely I'm not the only one that buys games, indie-AAA, on a platform based somewhat on whether they are single player or multiplayer? ie. all the single player games, almost always off of Gog; dedicated multiplayer games, usually off of Steam/Origin for convenience in finding players and servers, etc.

Example: Hyper Light Drifter, why bother NOT buying it off of Gog? Ashes of the Singularity? Probably going to get it eventually off of Steam, currently no cross-platform multiplayer.

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 2016, 13:39.

20. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 13, 2016, 11:58 nin

Slashman wrote on Apr 13, 2016, 11:56:

Wow...coincidence! I was waiting for some random fidiot to pop in and throw insults at people for voicing their opinions. Thanks for not letting me down!!!

Nod

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

19. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 13, 2016, 11:56 Slashman

Wow...coincidence! I was waiting for some random fidiot to pop in and throw insults at people for voicing their opinions. Thanks for not letting me down!!!

18. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 13, 2016, 08:09 TheVocalMinority

VM

17. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 13, 2016, 06:29 Tachikoma

Creston wrote on Apr 12, 2016, 17:39:
Without having read the article, I'm going to say that indie devs should probably also consider that without Steam, 99.999999% of them would never have been able to release their games.

Let me guess, you did not put much thought into this statement, did you? Just sayin, because as nonsensical as it would be even without this "99.999999%" (!!!111! amirite? :), that `s really the mark of a true zealot.

Dream on, guys. One day that whole beautiful walled garden of yours will rot and decay though, one way or another, it`s the way of the world. People won`t be blinded forever, even though it might be decdes from now. True ownership will eventually make a comeback, because it`s the only thing that really makes sense.

16. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 12, 2016, 21:08 HorrorScope

Razumen wrote on Apr 12, 2016, 18:09:
HorrorScope wrote on Apr 12, 2016, 17:28:
Wallshadows wrote on Apr 12, 2016, 16:04:
O/T: I wish Steam would create an entirely separate client specifically for Greenlight programs and indie titles to fuck off to. This way I wouldn't have to be bombarded by rogue-like retro voxel-based simulators shitting all over the place.

Do this for Humble Bundle too.

They need more filtering for sure. How about today's Japanese hot chick story game that looks identical to yesterdays? If I could only state I never want to see anything like that again... uhm that would be great.

Drop it already, Valve has no interest (or capability) in curating Steam, and neither should they. Besides, you can get more than a good enough idea of good games on Steam anyways by following trusted curators or gaming sites.

Also, in your queue you can always mark games as not interested, thus affecting which ones show up later.

Drop it? I do go through quite often and click it, next page, not interested and click back. Why can they just give me a filter to not show certain type of games? You see that is what many bitch about much more than I do even... to much shit in their estimation being brought to our intention. So why can't we filter? Why do we have to see things we'll just say no to? I just find that these Jap Anime Girly games come out at about 1 per day. So every time I have to do there series of clicks. It's the whole idea on why filters are used the world round. It's obvious, no need to counter argument against it, I want the control for me, myself and Irene. Not doing it is not listening to your customer.

15. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 12, 2016, 20:59 BobBob

Well, I like Steam and I like Valve too. I must not be a cool "down with the man counter-culture" gamer.

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 2016, 21:13.

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

14. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 12, 2016, 18:45 Julio

GOG is a good competitor, and by far a better choice to buy at. Gaming companies just don't tend to like it's DRM free stance, and that it doesn't accept every crappy game that comes along.

Of course, if Microsoft has it's way, the indie devs won't have Steam as an option in the long term future anyways.

13. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 12, 2016, 18:09 Razumen

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 12, 2016, 17:28:
O/T: I wish Steam would create an entirely separate client specifically for Greenlight programs and indie titles to fuck off to. This way I wouldn't have to be bombarded by rogue-like retro voxel-based simulators shitting all over the place.

They need more filtering for sure. How about today's Japanese hot chick story game that looks identical to yesterdays? If I could only state I never want to see anything like that again... uhm that would be great.

Drop it already, Valve has no interest (or capability) in curating Steam, and neither should they. Besides, you can get more than a good enough idea of good games on Steam anyways by following trusted curators or gaming sites.

Also, in your queue you can always mark games as not interested, thus affecting which ones show up later.

12. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 12, 2016, 17:53 The Half Elf

If anything Steam needs to start weeding out the indie dev's and all the SHIT that they put on Steam.
Early Access also needs to be refined.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

11. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 12, 2016, 17:39 Creston

Without having read the article, I'm going to say that indie devs should probably also consider that without Steam, 99.999999% of them would never have been able to release their games.

10. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 12, 2016, 17:28 HorrorScope

9. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 12, 2016, 16:29 descender

The chrome plugin called "Enhanced Steam" fixes all of those "issues" and more.  

8. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 12, 2016, 16:21 Verno

When is that ever a problem though? I can filter the store pretty easily and the curated recommendations are generally pretty good. I can't say the many no-name games ever really bothers me in practice. I appreciate that there is a service where people can launch something and get some attention without a massive marketing budget.

For the general topic, no Steam isn't too powerful, its well poised due to its many concessions for gamers. Ultimately I don't see any real issue with its success as its all been earned and Valve is surprisingly benign in leveraging its position in ways that other companies like Sony and Microsoft are not.

Playing: Pillars of Eternity 2, Far Cry 5, Persona 5
Watching: Safe, Game Night, Last Flag Flying

7. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 12, 2016, 16:04 Wallshadows

6. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 12, 2016, 14:10 Razumen

Luke wrote on Apr 12, 2016, 10:56:
Razumen wrote on Apr 12, 2016, 10:16:
The early bird gets the worm, so to speak, and that's what Valve did.

It's not that Steam's too powerful now, it's that all the alternatives kinda suck in comparison.

it's that all the alternatives kinda suck in comparison

And thats why this spyware is too powerfull

Nice backwards logic: all the other alternatives suck so it MUST be Valve's fault. (Also, spyware, lol)

Don't blame Valve for improving on their origins into one of the best marketplaces today, blame everyone for not trying hard enough.

5. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 12, 2016, 12:23 CJ_Parker

ldonyo wrote on Apr 12, 2016, 11:38:
It was really cool, at first. Now it's a pain in the ass.

You are probably the only person in the universe who feels that way or your "at first" means when you joined Steam in 2006 or so.
Because early Steam from 2003 to about 2006 was one of the biggest piles of fucking garbage ever dumped upon gamers in the history of gaming.

It started being "really cool" when they began having those cheap ass sales. Before that, most gamers wouldn't have given Valve the time of the day. It was the very definition of a major royal fucking pain in the fucking ass.

And you can still get a small taste of how abysmally bad it was every once in a while, for example last xmas sale (was it?) when they had those massive issues including the data breach.

I enjoy the convenience of Steam if and when it is working as intended but I'm not going to forget where it's coming from (way down that shitter hole).
Also, since it is digital rent, I'm usually very hesitant to pay more than $5 to $10 for any game. The days of full price purchases are long over for me. If I can not own a game like on GOG or retail then fuck you, Mr. Publisher.
But I'm not complaining... Steam has helped me save fucktons of cash in the process. It's fine. Digital rent has its pros and cons.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo