Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Evening Metaverse

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 9, 2016, 22:57 Agent.X7

nin wrote on Apr 9, 2016, 01:02:
fujiJuice wrote on Apr 9, 2016, 00:55:
nin wrote on Apr 8, 2016, 23:21:
I avoid hulu like the plague, due to ads...

Hulu now has an ad free version for several dollars more.

Yeah, but...I already pay for netflix, and prime, so...I'd rather not have another bill...

It's good they do it, but...

Yeah, Hulu lost me years ago. I gladly started paying when they asked, then they started putting ads in paying subscribers content. WHAT? FUCK YOU, THIS IS THE SAME REASON I AVOID CABLE! Now they can do whatever they like, but it doesn't matter to me because I will never give them another dime.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 9, 2016, 14:38 jdreyer

DG wrote on Apr 9, 2016, 12:49:
Redmask wrote on Apr 9, 2016, 08:35:
Sadly this isn't the case anymore, the studios pushed hard and Netflix was forced to respond. They have now aggressively started blocking DNS redirectors and updating their internal apps to point directly to CDN server addresses. DNS spoofing is going to go the way of the dodo in short order, several of the major services have already been broken. There is a NetflixByProxy subreddit with more info. There are only 2 working services left and both proxy the entire video feed which won't work when Netflix updates the rest of the apps soon.
Bummer. I know distribution licensing is a big deal to the studios but I roll my eyes every time the movie industry complains about piracy yet seem to refuse opportunities to compete on service. Someone remind me why I'm paying all this money for a limited catalogue released months after John across the street is downloading stuff, often at a higher quality?
Yeah this bullshit just pushes people to piracy

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

20. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 9, 2016, 12:49 DG

Redmask wrote on Apr 9, 2016, 08:35:
Sadly this isn't the case anymore, the studios pushed hard and Netflix was forced to respond. They have now aggressively started blocking DNS redirectors and updating their internal apps to point directly to CDN server addresses. DNS spoofing is going to go the way of the dodo in short order, several of the major services have already been broken. There is a NetflixByProxy subreddit with more info. There are only 2 working services left and both proxy the entire video feed which won't work when Netflix updates the rest of the apps soon.

Bummer. I know distribution licensing is a big deal to the studios but I roll my eyes every time the movie industry complains about piracy yet seem to refuse opportunities to compete on service. Someone remind me why I'm paying all this money for a limited catalogue released months after John across the street is downloading stuff, often at a higher quality?

19. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 9, 2016, 08:35 Redmask

Netflix is a bit better for tv series - apparently much better if you spoof location to the US (which netflix seem to be blocking to the absolutely minimum extent that the studios will let them get away with).

18. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 9, 2016, 06:47 DG

Quboid wrote on Apr 8, 2016, 23:11:
What streaming services are best for movies? Netflix seems to be more about TV style shows. I'm in the UK, although that doesn't have to matter.

I'm have Netflix and Amazon.

The main issue is the studios are trying to negotiate every film/series individually. There is no legit service with anything like a complete catalogue.

Amazon has better range for movies. Not at all "good" though, just significantly better than netflix. If you're also willing to pay for rental their range gets quite a bit better, but assume 3-4.50 for anything new in HD. Streaming on PC is via web, pretty good IMHO. Phones/tablet have an app, dunno about apple but android one is a bit poor and also requires bypassing play store though seems to work if you disable that security, install then re-enable. I've never seen a native app for TVs but fire stick is pretty decent aslong as good wifi signal and I've heard the firetv box is better.

If you get postal DVD option aswell (lovefilm) then you get a nearly complete range of movies and series via that. Main issue with post isn't just that you cannot get whatever right away on a whim, not only do they have to post it but whilst you can set a dvd to high priority but they still only send it when they have one. Release schedule seems to be theatres, then most can be purchased for streaming, then some go onto ppv streaming, then it's a crapshoot whether something is released on subscriber streaming or dvd rental first.

Netflix is a bit better for tv series - apparently much better if you spoof location to the US (which netflix seem to be blocking to the absolutely minimum extent that the studios will let them get away with). Web streaming and pretty much any internet-enabled device will have a native app.

Allegedly itunes has pretty good range of movies for buy or ppv.

17. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 9, 2016, 05:52 Tachikoma

Every now and then I subscribe for a month, watch some stuff, cancel.

There`s just not enough content to justify steady subscription. They said it themselves that they`d rather concentrate on "original" in house shows/films than new stuff. But you can watch that over a week or two (regardless of the fact that after Arrested D fiasco I`m not really into any more nostalgia rehashes).

16. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 9, 2016, 05:44 qsto

Kxmode wrote on Apr 8, 2016, 18:26:
Cancelled my Netflix account.
Pretty much this... and went for usenet

15. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 9, 2016, 03:54 Heltorne

No you didn't.

14. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 9, 2016, 02:11 jdreyer

Over $2/month? Shit, a cup of coffee costs more than that.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

13. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 9, 2016, 01:02 nin

fujiJuice wrote on Apr 9, 2016, 00:55:

Yeah, but...I already pay for netflix, and prime, so...I'd rather not have another bill...

It's good they do it, but...

12. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 9, 2016, 00:55 fujiJuice

11. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 8, 2016, 23:39 Sepharo

Amazon Prime cycles movies faster than Netflix.
Don't make a big watchlist because they'll be off Prime by the time you get to them.

10. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 8, 2016, 23:21 nin

Quboid wrote on Apr 8, 2016, 23:11:
What streaming services are best for movies? Netflix seems to be more about TV style shows. I'm in the UK, although that doesn't have to matter.

The problem with NF is that it varies by country. Canada apparently doesn't have nearly as much as the US site...

Amazon is fair...not great, but slowly improving (and again, could vary by country).

9. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 8, 2016, 23:11 Quboid

8. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 8, 2016, 22:33 Frijoles

Netflix would be worth it even at $20.  

7. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 8, 2016, 21:57 Agent.X7

I have Prime and Netflix, still pay less than cable. And I get free 2 day shipping. Well, no, actually I now get 1 day shipping in Charlotte.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 8, 2016, 21:46 BobBob

Hmm... Amazon Prime has Man in The High Castle. A brilliant and engaging story by Philip K. Dick. Of course, he was a genius and just about everything he wrote was incredible.  
Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 8, 2016, 21:25 LiTh

Denthor wrote on Apr 8, 2016, 20:51:
Wallshadows wrote on Apr 8, 2016, 19:55:
They're also doing a half-assed job at catching unblockers.

Are you implying this is a bad thing. As an aussie i only see it as a positive.

Depends if your a shareholder or not

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 8, 2016, 20:51 Denthor

Wallshadows wrote on Apr 8, 2016, 19:55:

Are you implying this is a bad thing. As an aussie i only see it as a positive.

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 8, 2016, 19:55 Wallshadows

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo