DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans

An update on Bethesda.net has details on the upcoming open beta test for DOOM as well as an outline of post-release content for the upcoming return to id Software's shooter series (thanks Frans). They remind everyone that the open beta will run from April 15-17 and that no codes will be required to join in. They also explain what will follow once the game is officially released on May 13th, outlining plans for free and paid content, including a three DLC season pass:
We know the DOOM community has always been about great user-generated content, and that’s something we want to continue to encourage with SnapMap, an innovative new component of DOOM designed to make creating, sharing and playing new game experiences fast and easy. On top of being able to access and play new modes and maps created by your fellow gamers, id plans to offer content updates for SnapMap, including map modules; props and objects; additional features and functionality; AI enhancements; editing tool enhancements and more. Multiplayer will also receive content updates in the form of new game modes. Both of these SnapMap and multiplayer updates will be free to use and play.

In addition to the planned free support and content updates, we will also be releasing three premium multiplayer DLC packs after launch, which will get you a number of new maps, hack modules, playable demons, weapons and more. The first DLC will be available this summer and give you access to:

• Three new maps
  • One new weapon
  • One new playable demon
  • One new armor set
  • One new piece of equipment
  • New hack modules and taunts
  • New customization colors and patterns

Each DLC pack will cost $14.99 (£11.99 [UK]), or you can get them all at a discount with the Season Pass for $39.99 (£29.99 [UK]). Check your preferred retailer to pre-order the DOOM Season Pass.

View : : :
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans
Apr 9, 2016, 19:45
Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 9, 2016, 19:45
Apr 9, 2016, 19:45

Rockn-Roll wrote on Apr 9, 2016, 12:43:
2. This business plan is Identical to TF2 in every way

No, TF2 does not sell weapons* and maps.

*It sells weapon skin/model replacements.

Apr 9, 2016, 12:43
Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 9, 2016, 12:43
Apr 9, 2016, 12:43

The Positive Stuff:
1. The DLC can be pre-ordered AFTER the launch...you don't have to buy anything without knowing its value first.
2. This business plan is Identical to TF2 in every way except it's not "free to play" because you have to buy the game before you can play MP and there are no in-game item drops. But, perhaps in the future they will offer "Doom Live" like they did with "Quake Live".
3. Idsoftware has always tried to maintain game balance, so no matter what they offer for purchase they will need to balance everything to keep the game fun. They know that it has to be fun to succeed...give them some credit.
4. I actually want something like SnapMap...I get frustrating moding other games because I am not a good artist...it takes me days to create a decent texture. It will be nice to have the textures already applied and shined up on everything. I might actually be able to release a final product after decades of works-in-progress.

The Negative Stuff:
1. It looks like Idsoftware with the fixed load-outs is trying to make Doom MP like TF2. All they are doing is making it obvious that they feel like fools for not hiring Robin Walker, John Cook, and Ian Caughley 20 years ago when they had the chance. Doom should have stayed with all weapons for everyone. I doubt that I will play Doom MP much because I can already play TF2 for FREE! and not some knock-off.
2. No true deathmatch/arena mode where all players get all the same weapons and armor? Am I missing something? Doom Deathmatch is what made the original Doom so much fun...then Quake CTF and Quake Arena turned it into a true sport. If those two features aren't in MP then you won't see me in any MP games for very long...I'll return to playing TF2 after I finish the Single Player component.
3. I'm afraid Doom MP is going to quickly dwindle like Enemy Territory Quake Wars...it may be new and fun at first, but will soon become predictable and not fun.
Let's Rock!

Apr 7, 2016, 22:23
Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 7, 2016, 22:23
Apr 7, 2016, 22:23

Hump wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 22:16:
a decent basic MP component included then Ill be ok with it. They can stick the "season pass" and "DLC" up their fat, aging asses

You're not going to get that unfortunately. You're going to step into a game where you haven't unlocked armor yet but everyone else has, regardless of DLC. And if you refuse to buy DLC, your opponents will have the BFG XL and it won't be an unlockable weapon, purchase only (at least initially).

Apr 7, 2016, 22:16
Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 7, 2016, 22:16
Apr 7, 2016, 22:16

I agree, good points. The fact is the remaining management at iD may be the same people from the old days but they've simply turned into money grubbing suits in the interim. All Im saying is that at the time of purchase, you know what you're getting. yes, they should be more pro-active with the community and more creative with their financial aspirations but it is what it is. If I buy a good single player campaign with a decent basic MP component included then Ill be ok with it. They can stick the "season pass" and "DLC" up their fat, aging asses
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Apr 7, 2016, 21:30
Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 7, 2016, 21:30
Apr 7, 2016, 21:30

Hump wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 21:10:
Christ, get ahold of yourselves. Its not 1994 anymore. Companies look for revenue streams. Its not like their locking one out of the content they buy. Theyre offering additional shit that you can either buy......or not.

I know, it sucks but its not like theyre fucking anyone over.

Yes and reputable companies do this in ways that don't hurt their game. Shitty companies do it in the form of community splintering DLC, P2W, unlocks, and just generally terrible decisions. And since this is hardly the wild frontier it used to be, they do this knowingly.

I would have loved for them to do something like what TF2 or CS:GO, or soon Overwatch, does but they went the easy greedy route instead.

Apr 7, 2016, 21:10
Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 7, 2016, 21:10
Apr 7, 2016, 21:10

Christ, get ahold of yourselves. Its not 1994 anymore. Companies look for revenue streams. Its not like their locking one out of the content they buy. Theyre offering additional shit that you can either buy......or not.

I know, it sucks but its not like theyre fucking anyone over.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Apr 7, 2016, 14:57
Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 7, 2016, 14:57
Apr 7, 2016, 14:57

I've pretty much given up on AAA titles for enjoyment. Cash cows of repetitive and simplified nonsense. Maybe someone will make an indie FPS that hearkens back to the golden era - Duke Nukem, Tribes, QuakeWorld, Quake 3, and derivatives. I've seen attempts but they typically get distracted and add gimmicks. I hope said developer focuses 100% on skill based gameplay. I don't need all the advanced graphics. I'd probably just turn them off anyways.

Still patiently waiting...

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

Apr 7, 2016, 10:51
Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 7, 2016, 10:51
Apr 7, 2016, 10:51

Necrophob wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 10:29:
SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 08:38:
Cutter wrote on Apr 6, 2016, 20:41:
Considering the spirit of DOOM is supposed to be all about community. Community made maps, tweaks, mods, servers. This is just DOOM in name only. That writing was on the wall the moment iD sold out.

They still support that according to the news bit above. Am I missing something?

We know the DOOM community has always been about great user-generated content, and that’s something we want to continue to encourage with SnapMap, an innovative new component of DOOM designed to make creating, sharing and playing new game experiences fast and easy. On top of being able to access and play new modes and maps created by your fellow gamers, id plans to offer content updates for SnapMap, including map modules; props and objects; additional features and functionality; AI enhancements; editing tool enhancements and more. Multiplayer will also receive content updates in the form of new game modes. Both of these SnapMap and multiplayer updates will be free to use and play.

Am I reading this wrong, or does it mean that you won't be able to create new meshes or create your own mods for Doom? They'll sell you new shit that you can then drop into this SnapMap Kindergarten map editor?

Sure you can tho you have to pay for it

Apr 7, 2016, 10:40
Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 7, 2016, 10:40
Apr 7, 2016, 10:40

Wow, this pretty much put the nail in the coffin for this DOOMed release! Could they be more ignorant of how bad this whole Season Pass/DLC is for the franchise, which is already on troubled waters?

But, I'm sure plenty of people will lap it up, and only encourage more marketing of this nature.

I may pick it up for single play (only) when it is in the bargain bin for $5.00, but then maybe I'll have forgotten about it by that time.

Apr 7, 2016, 10:29
Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 7, 2016, 10:29
Apr 7, 2016, 10:29

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 08:38:
Considering the spirit of DOOM is supposed to be all about community. Community made maps, tweaks, mods, servers. This is just DOOM in name only. That writing was on the wall the moment iD sold out.

They still support that according to the news bit above. Am I missing something?

Am I reading this wrong, or does it mean that you won't be able to create new meshes or create your own mods for Doom? They'll sell you new shit that you can then drop into this SnapMap Kindergarten map editor?

Apr 7, 2016, 10:02
Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 7, 2016, 10:02
Apr 7, 2016, 10:02

imho pre-game release sales of dlc packs are just sad.

I guess someone believes announcing this will have a positive impact on game sales?

Apr 7, 2016, 08:38
Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 7, 2016, 08:38
Apr 7, 2016, 08:38

Steam: SpectralMeat

Apr 7, 2016, 08:24
Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 7, 2016, 08:24
Apr 7, 2016, 08:24

Hahahahahahahahaha.

No sale.
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Apr 7, 2016, 08:07
Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 7, 2016, 08:07
Apr 7, 2016, 08:07

This is all such a shame, to be honest. That E3 video, I think it was, showcasing all of those ways the game could be modded with that SnapMap, it looked so damn impressive.

Apr 7, 2016, 07:34
Bub
Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 7, 2016, 07:34
Apr 7, 2016, 07:34
Bub

Text book example of how consolization of games turns PC gamers into share croppers.

Sounds like they are going whole hog into Monetization so I will bet they even include gambling in the form of mystery packs/chests etc.

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================

Apr 7, 2016, 07:15
Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 7, 2016, 07:15
Apr 7, 2016, 07:15

Tachikoma wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 06:31:
Somebody explain to me why people in 2016 are surprised that there`s a season pass in a major release? Most likely the same people who validated this bullshit by happily buying other crap DLCs/passes?

Oh, wait, it`s Bethseda. Another gaming community`s whipping boy. And of course such thread wouldn`t be complete without somebody dropping the stupid bomb: how the evil Bethsoft laughs at fans while releasing broken games that said fans have to then fix themselves (nope, they don`t make one of the most complex video game series out there AND give you a complex modding toolset to play with it. That wouldn`t suit the narrative, right?)

You've just described what i call the human variable lol. You could re-write this and replace gaming references with hardware, software, politics etc. and it would apply. That being said, i understand the frustration expressed by PC gamers. Everyone wants cash in on micro/macro transactions a la candy crush instead of increasing sales by making something that will sell and stay on the sales lists for multiple years like CS etc.

Comments on this site linked to pretty much all similar titles have all the answers publishers need.

mod tools, dedicated servers, downloadable client to host you're own server without renting, LAN support, no season pass or dlc, new content patches, expansion packs (only if they have substantial updates and content ex: BF:Hardline and BF4 should've been in a 30$ bf3 expansion pack and dlc free to keep it attractive to new folks long term a la tf2/CS)

Apr 7, 2016, 06:42
Flo

Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 7, 2016, 06:42
Apr 7, 2016, 06:42
 Flo

Vio wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 04:45:
Well in terms of multiplayer this game is dead now.
I figured that out after the Alpha. Still a buy for me if the single player campaign is anywhere near Wolfenstein.
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

Apr 7, 2016, 06:31
Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 7, 2016, 06:31
Apr 7, 2016, 06:31

Somebody explain to me why people in 2016 are surprised that there`s a season pass in a major release? Most likely the same people who validated this bullshit by happily buying other crap DLCs/passes?

Oh, wait, it`s Bethseda. Another gaming community`s whipping boy. And of course such thread wouldn`t be complete without somebody dropping the stupid bomb: how the evil Bethsoft laughs at fans while releasing broken games that said fans have to then fix themselves (nope, they don`t make one of the most complex video game series out there AND give you a complex modding toolset to play with it. That wouldn`t suit the narrative, right?)

Apr 7, 2016, 05:59
Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 7, 2016, 05:59
Apr 7, 2016, 05:59

Its so simple so simple just don't buy ANY dlc and we will not see this

But i guess it hurts to much clicking the NO

Apr 7, 2016, 04:45
Vio
Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 7, 2016, 04:45
Apr 7, 2016, 04:45
Vio

Well in terms of multiplayer this game is dead now.
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older