Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Morning Tech Bits

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 24, 2016, 05:20 InBlack

HoSpanky wrote on Mar 23, 2016, 18:02:

Honestly the only excuse that isn't directly your own damn fault is if you're injured or have a lifelong disease that costs you everything you make. I'm so fucking tired of hearing this same line from you, Cutter. Stop blaming someone else for what you've done to yourself.

Lol, though Cutter is usually the master of hyperbole you take the prize here Spanky, "Stop blaming someone else for what you've done to yourself" is a bit of a stretch even in this case. Back on topic it's obvious that entry level prices do matter to some extent, perhaps not as much as Cutter is making them out to, but they can and will directly impact the success of a product or a line of products.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 24, 2016, 00:44 1badmf

i almost jumped on the ultrawide bandwagon, but i took a look at them at fry's and they weren't big enough for me, even the 34" ones. wide enough for sure but i like more vertical screen space. i'm hoping they'll release a 40" ultrawide at some point.

on a side note, you could buy 40" 4k IPS monitors on amazon for awhile now. my friend has one mounted to the wall in front of his desk and it's really a bit too big for desktop gaming. 43 is excessive i feel, unless you're planning on sitting further back.

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 23, 2016, 23:10 ForgedReality

On [H]ardforums, the 48" Samsung UN48JS9000 is all the rage for a PC monitor. It's much higher image quality than the Philips. It's also curved and quantum dot. I'm getting one to go with my Pascal Titan. There's currently one on Adorama's Ebay store for like $1100 which is a great price. Considering buying two and selling one to make a profit. 4k deserves to be in a large form factor. I don't understand why companies are selling them at 30" and smaller. That's just ridiculous. For a large monitor, just sit a little farther back. And 4k really should be a large monitor, otherwise, I wouldn't bother. And the ultrawides are trendy now but they're too fucking short, and expensive. No thanks.  

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 23, 2016, 23:08 Razumen

Saboth wrote on Mar 23, 2016, 18:39:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 23, 2016, 13:09:
$800 for a 43 inch 4K IPS monitor? That's a good price, even if it is only 60 hz.

Isn't a 60 hz 4k basically just a TV?

What? 60hz isn't great for gaming, but it's totally bearable for a computer monitor.

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 23, 2016, 18:39 Saboth

$800 for a 43 inch 4K IPS monitor? That's a good price, even if it is only 60 hz.

Isn't a 60 hz 4k basically just a TV?

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 23, 2016, 18:02 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Mar 23, 2016, 11:54:
Why it doesn't matter? Spoken like someone with zero responsibilities or bills.

Spoken like someone who either has no clue how to budget or is making minimum wage. I make about double the minimum wage. I have a house in a super low-crime neighborhood, have an alright car, and due to planning ahead, can afford to pre-order a Vive. It didn't require any sacrifices or changes to my spending habits. I plan for a $1000 expense every 6 months. This is one of those (assuming I'm buying a couple titles specifically for it within the first month, using up the full thousand).

If you aren't very interested in the tech, then ok. But you clearly ARE, and saying you can't afford it, so you're angry. If you make less than I do, I can see how that's possible. If you make as much or more than I do, which is reasonably likely, then you made choices somewhere that keep you from having any play money. Did you buy a super nice car? Too bad, you don't get a VR headset...but enjoy the car! Did you have a kid or kids? Well you only exist to fund their lives now, and you made that choice.

Honestly the only excuse that isn't directly your own damn fault is if you're injured or have a lifelong disease that costs you everything you make. I'm so fucking tired of hearing this same line from you, Cutter. Stop blaming someone else for what you've done to yourself.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 23, 2016, 16:37 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Mar 23, 2016, 16:35:
LurkerLito wrote on Mar 23, 2016, 15:34:
I'll wait for reviews of the Philips monitor, but that is the perfect sized one for 4K. I'd be really wanting it if it was OLED.

You'll need a pretty big desk...

And peripheral vision of an alien

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 23, 2016, 16:35 jdreyer

LurkerLito wrote on Mar 23, 2016, 15:34:
I'll wait for reviews of the Philips monitor, but that is the perfect sized one for 4K. I'd be really wanting it if it was OLED.

You'll need a pretty big desk...

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 23, 2016, 16:34 jdreyer

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Mar 23, 2016, 14:31:

"799 Euros"

Bit of a difference there.

A bit. 1.1 dollars to the euro. So $880. Still a good deal.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 23, 2016, 15:34 LurkerLito

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 23, 2016, 14:31 Mordecai Walfish

"799 Euros"

Bit of a difference there.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 23, 2016, 13:09 Razumen

Beamer wrote on Mar 23, 2016, 12:28:

And your post is spoken like someone too lazy to ever read the articles he comments on. His point is that technology is always expensive for early adopters, and dismissing it out of hand now due to that fact is incorrect. If there's merit to VR, early adopters will support it through its infancy until the technology matures and the price falls enough for it to hit the mainstream.

15 years ago the price of a 40" TV was insane. Anyone claiming it was proof 40" TVs wouldn't take off would have been proven wrong. Do I agree that the early adopters will be able to sustain VR long enough for it to move down the innovation curve? I'm not convinced, but there's an enormous amount of money out there to help it out.

Not to mention these VR headsets are pretty cheap compared to the prices of a lot of new technology, such as TV screens, when they first come out.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 23, 2016, 13:09 jdreyer

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 23, 2016, 12:28 Beamer

And your post is spoken like someone too lazy to ever read the articles he comments on. His point is that technology is always expensive for early adopters, and dismissing it out of hand now due to that fact is incorrect. If there's merit to VR, early adopters will support it through its infancy until the technology matures and the price falls enough for it to hit the mainstream.

15 years ago the price of a 40" TV was insane. Anyone claiming it was proof 40" TVs wouldn't take off would have been proven wrong. Do I agree that the early adopters will be able to sustain VR long enough for it to move down the innovation curve? I'm not convinced, but there's an enormous amount of money out there to help it out.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 23, 2016, 11:54 Cutter

"Put the pick in there, Pete, and turn it round real neat."

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 23, 2016, 10:04 Drayth

The article on the Phillips makes a slight error. The 40" existing screen is a VA panel, not an IPS like the new one.

Here

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo