Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

March Madness, amiright? Well am I? Because I don't know. Hope all you college hoops fan are enjoying your games, as the festivities are underway. New York City is actually a hotbed of serious amateur basketball, but it has little to do with college athletics, and we're a long way from the time when St. John's was a semi-serious contender, so this doesn't really carry much local relevance. We did actually have a state university school in the mix this year, but as much as everyone expected SUNY Stony Brook to knock of Kentucky, the Wildcats managed an upset, so it's wait until next year time for New Yorkers as far as the tourney is concerned.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Wasteland Siege.
Cover Orange: Journey Space.
Links:

Neil deGrasse Tyson- pedantry in space. Thanks Digg.
Olivia Munn and The Threat of the Fake Geeks.

Stories: Marlboro man charged with shooting up houses. Thanks Devicer.
Science: Early results from New Horizons’ rendezvous with Pluto.
Solar-powered airport no longer pays for electricity.
Media: X-Men: Apocalypse - Official Trailer [HD].
Roboraptors.
Follow-up: SeaWorld To End Orca Breeding Program.
The Funnies: Batman vs Superman 3 Cartoon - Savage Chickens.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2016, 17:17 jdreyer

Julio wrote on Mar 19, 2016, 10:48:
1badmf wrote on Mar 19, 2016, 08:34:
Julio wrote on Mar 19, 2016, 06:23:
Considering air travel is one of the worst things that can be done to the environment, I find it funny they're trying to pretend that going solar makes any impact.

not true. on a per passenger basis air travel is more fuel efficient than cars are.

And that doesn't make air travel not one of the worst things for the environment.

As I understand it, it's the fact that planes release their pollution so high that has such a great environmental impact.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2016, 10:48 Julio

Considering air travel is one of the worst things that can be done to the environment, I find it funny they're trying to pretend that going solar makes any impact.

not true. on a per passenger basis air travel is more fuel efficient than cars are.

And that doesn't make air travel not one of the worst things for the environment.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2016, 09:00 RedEye9

1badmf, decreasing myths and carbon footprint, one post at a time.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

38. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2016, 08:34 1badmf

37. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2016, 06:23 Julio

36. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2016, 04:19 jdreyer

Solar-powered airport no longer pays for electricity.

That's pretty sweet. Now about 100,000 more of those projects and we could make a serious dent in fossil fuel usage and carbon emissions. The ironic thing is that the more alternative energy projects the world does, the cheaper fossil fuel goes, making it more attractive to use.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2016, 01:08 1badmf

sigh... first world problems.

i think most of us here are nerds of varying degrees with social skills of varying degrees, and i think i speak for the majority when i say get the fuck over it. is Munn a nerd? Triumph the insult dog said it best when he answered his own question about star wars with, "nononono, the correct answer is, WHO FUCKING CARES!?"

you know how i know that that whole article is nothing but a masterclass in click bait hipster SJW bullshit? because whether he was right or wrong, the world is not better or worse for it.

a hot chick skating by on her hotness alone? i am A-OK with that. there a place in this world for bimbos, and there always will be.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2016, 00:01 Agent.X7

Quboid wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 18:07:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 17:59:
Comparing Beamers comment history with Cutters, the latter wins with the most * REMOVED * This comment was deleted ... posts.
He's not one to be asking others to ignore someone.

Self awareness really isn't Cutter's strong suit.

It's not really a large portion of the population's strong suit, which is a large part of our problems here on Earth.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

33. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 18:38 BobBob

nvm  
Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

32. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 18:14 JoeNapalm

He's deeply offended by people who take offense.

I think we're done, here.

-Jn-

31. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 18:07 Quboid

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 17:59:
Comparing Beamers comment history with Cutters, the latter wins with the most * REMOVED * This comment was deleted ... posts.

Self awareness really isn't Cutter's strong suit.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 17:59 RedEye9

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

29. removed Mar 18, 2016, 17:22 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 18, 2016, 18:14.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 16:36 BobBob

I remember taking a college course called 'The Social Construction of Deviance and Conformity'. The professor was quite funny. He started the class out by positioning that, "Rich people are eccentric. Poor people are insane". Students were a bit shocked at first, but as the class progressed it did seem to be a recurring theme.

How is this relevant? Deviance can be measured on many levels, it's not simply limited to violating social norms or mores, but also applies to the unique behaviors within a subculture. It certainly does appear that the more money a person accumulates, or becomes more prestigious, the less likely said person will be criticized. Typically, the opposite will happen. The person becomes a trendsetter and is granted permission and given authority to criticize others. The person is soon regarded as 'elite', an epitome, the standard by which all that is to be measured against. The deviant (poor, or less prestigious person), will always be criticized by an elite, of whom the masses tend follow. Whether it be in regards to fashion, music, behavior, or other social trends, it's the same pattern. Facts notwithstanding, the target deviant is a poseur, the elite person is authentic. This of course flip-flops if the deviatnt person becomes rich or gains prestige, or if the elite person's status is dethroned by a rival, or demoted to deviance by a taboo behavior.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2016, 17:25.

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 16:07 Quboid

yonder wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 12:39:
I made it all the way to "nor is Chuck Lorre ever accused of 'nerd appropriation'," threw up my hands, and quit reading. I mean wow... just wow...

Especially as, in a previous part of the exact same sentence, this author complained about people accusing Chuck Lorre of nerd appropriation in the wrong way. Seriously, that sentence is "why are these people not being accused (and while I'm on the subject, stop accusing them in that way)". What?!

Cultural appropriate can be crass and ignorant but at the same time, some of the complaints seem patronising. Yes, Katy Perry dressing up like a geisha isn't the height of cultural sophistication. So? Is Japanese culture so fragile? Can it not be touched without those gloves that historians use to open old books? This seems like benevolent racism like treating women like princesses is benevolent sexism.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 15:55 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 15:41:
KS wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 15:23:
Beamer wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 15:02:
Cutter wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 13:46:
At its core, cultural appropriation is treating cultures like a pick-and-mix grab bag of ideas for the dominant majority culture (almost always white)

That's that article in a nutshell. White liberal guilt hipster denounces Whitey as the source of all that's bad in the world. Gee, shocker. Rolleyes

This guy said it really well....

That's how cultural exchange works - you use bits and pieces from other groups of people and fuse it with other stuff. Sichuan cuisine, for example, exists because somebody brought hot peppers from the Americas over to China, where they were promptly assimilated and woven into the cuisine. Or think of fusion cuisine in general, like the food trucks that combine Korean and Mexican food around here.

It only feels like appropriation to me if you're actually claiming to be the original source of something. But I read a lot of broad accusations of it.

And this guy....

I've heard Mexican people saying they don't give a flying fuck if others want to celebrate Día de Muertos. And here we have Halloween parties, completely out of context.

I'm from Argentina. One of the latest winners of the Tango World Cup was a japanese couple. You won't hear ANYONE complain about japanese people "appropriating" our culture. On the contrary, people here are happy our stuff is known all over the world. Even Schwarzenegger doing random shit to the tune of Por una Cabeza in True Lies is only ever seen as funny. I don't think I know ANYONE who was offended by that.

Exactly. Man, this new bullshit PC era so needs to fucking die...yet again.

I can't believe I'm responding to you, but you picked the beginning sentences and ignored the rest.

Cultural appropriation is taking someone's culture and treating it like a costume or a gimmick. There's a stark difference between that and exchanging ideas, such as your sichuan example.

It is called borrowing an idea. It is one thing to make a racist portrayal, and quite another to borrow a colorful attire because it looks nice. Or cool. Or scary.

There is nothing wrong with that. It is a made up offense that people have to be "educated" to take offense at, and only then can you play an asinine guilt game with the "offenders" of the newly-educated "offendee".

It is a grotesquely racist concept.

If someone were to go trick-or-treating as a "video gamer," wearing baggy khaki cargo pants, white running shoes, a My Little Pony t-shirt, a trenchcoat, a fedora, and ran around going "Look at me, I'm a video gamer, I've never touched a girl!" a handful of people here would be offended.

But the problem is the person that is offended, not the one dressing like that....

Political correctness is a bullshit excuse for not granting other people their freedoms.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 15:41 Beamer

At its core, cultural appropriation is treating cultures like a pick-and-mix grab bag of ideas for the dominant majority culture (almost always white)

That's that article in a nutshell. White liberal guilt hipster denounces Whitey as the source of all that's bad in the world. Gee, shocker. Rolleyes

That's how cultural exchange works - you use bits and pieces from other groups of people and fuse it with other stuff. Sichuan cuisine, for example, exists because somebody brought hot peppers from the Americas over to China, where they were promptly assimilated and woven into the cuisine. Or think of fusion cuisine in general, like the food trucks that combine Korean and Mexican food around here.

It only feels like appropriation to me if you're actually claiming to be the original source of something. But I read a lot of broad accusations of it.

And this guy....

I've heard Mexican people saying they don't give a flying fuck if others want to celebrate Día de Muertos. And here we have Halloween parties, completely out of context.

I'm from Argentina. One of the latest winners of the Tango World Cup was a japanese couple. You won't hear ANYONE complain about japanese people "appropriating" our culture. On the contrary, people here are happy our stuff is known all over the world. Even Schwarzenegger doing random shit to the tune of Por una Cabeza in True Lies is only ever seen as funny. I don't think I know ANYONE who was offended by that.

I can't believe I'm responding to you, but you picked the beginning sentences and ignored the rest.

Cultural appropriation is taking someone's culture and treating it like a costume or a gimmick. There's a stark difference between that and exchanging ideas, such as your sichuan example.

It is called borrowing an idea. It is one thing to make a racist portrayal, and quite another to borrow a colorful attire because it looks nice. Or cool. Or scary.

There is nothing wrong with that. It is a made up offense that people have to be "educated" to take offense at, and only then can you play an asinine guilt game with the "offenders" of the newly-educated "offendee".

It is a grotesquely racist concept.

If someone were to go trick-or-treating as a "video gamer," wearing baggy khaki cargo pants, white running shoes, a My Little Pony t-shirt, a trenchcoat, a fedora, and ran around going "Look at me, I'm a video gamer, I've never touched a girl!" a handful of people here would be offended.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 15:41 KS

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 15:30:

And this guy....

YES!

Cultural appropriation is basically a bullshit excuse for angry people to get "offended" and worked up over. You A) Have no right to not be offended, despite what a lot of people think and B) actually have to choose to be offended. Which is a lot more work that just ignoring things that probably have nothing to do with you in the first place.

It is racist to say I cannot put on a headdress because I am not an American Indian (and I never have) but that I am permitted to put on a top hat and tails because I am a white guy and that's my culture!

Shall I rage around demanding no non-whites wear that? Oh, how racist the Japanese ambassador was during WWII, wearing such?

WTF people! This is a completely fraudulent meme born of runaway white man's guilt.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 15:30 Agent.X7

And this guy....

YES!

Cultural appropriation is basically a bullshit excuse for angry people to get "offended" and worked up over. You A) Have no right to not be offended, despite what a lot of people think and B) actually have to choose to be offended. Which is a lot more work that just ignoring things that probably have nothing to do with you in the first place.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 15:25 JoeNapalm

Bodolza wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 12:48:
I feel like this covers it pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJyMT4ZVQEc

Yeah, that pretty much nails it shut.

...though it needs a dash of "So...fuck off" in my opinion.

-Jn-

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo