Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

The Witcher III GDC GotY

The 16th annual Game Developers Choice Awards were handed out last night as part of the ongoing Game Developers Conference, and this press release announces all the winners. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt took home game of the year honors, and CD Projekt RED's RPG sequel was also honored for Best Technology. The most awards went to Her Story, which won for Innovation, Best Narrative, and Best Handheld/Mobile. Her Story was also the most honored game at the 18th annual Independent Games Festival Awards, taking home the Seumas McNally Grand Prize, and this announcement has all the details on those awards. For those interested in the presentations and the speeches, they are recorded for posterity in this Twitch stream, which warns that portions of the audio are muted over possible copyright concerns, because lawyers. The ceremony also included the awarding of the previously announced Pioneer award for Markus "Notch" Persson and Lifetime Achievement award for Bethesda's Todd Howard.
View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: The Witcher III GDF GotY Mar 17, 2016, 18:56 Flatline

Tachikoma wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 17:36:
Nucas wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 14:22:
the video game equivalent of oscar bait.

Bingo. I knew yupsters will lap it up the moment I read the synopsis.

What made me giggle was that it got an award for "innovation". As if we didn`t have to wade through piles of similar games back in the CD-ROM era.

Her Story was interesting, and I don't regret "playing" it at all. But it is essentially google the game if google only returned six results at a time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: The Witcher III GDF GotY Mar 17, 2016, 18:05 Squirmer

Quinn wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 13:54:
Never heard of "Her Story" so how award winning should it be? I mean, I'm such a fucking loser I browse game sites every time life allows me and I. Have. Never. Heard. Of. That. Game.

To me, that looks like the gaming community didn't give a shit about that game. To me, that looks like this GOTY jury is another panel of weird, naked artists who base the awesomeness of something on the way the windowsill in the background is painted applegreen or some weird shit like that.

I'm rambling. Very glad to see The Witcher 3 in there though!! Can't wait for Blood & Wine.
Her Story got plenty of coverage when it was released halfway through last year. Search Blues for it and you'll find it mentioned in half a dozen news stories, including a specific post about its release last June.

14. Re: The Witcher III GDF GotY Mar 17, 2016, 17:39 Task

Bundy wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 15:11:
Both Life is Strange and Her Story are pretty good actually.

I'll give both a shot when I get around to it - award or no award.

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

13. Re: The Witcher III GDF GotY Mar 17, 2016, 17:36 Tachikoma

Nucas wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 14:22:
the video game equivalent of oscar bait.

Bingo. I knew yupsters will lap it up the moment I read the synopsis.

What made me giggle was that it got an award for "innovation". As if we didn`t have to wade through piles of similar games back in the CD-ROM era.

12. Re: The Witcher III GDF GotY Mar 17, 2016, 17:33 Fion

Oh.. well I've heard of both. But point remains, just cause you haven't heard of a game doesn't mean it isn't good.  

11. Re: The Witcher III GDC GotY Mar 17, 2016, 17:17 Creston

Yes yes, now where's our Toussaint expansion?!  

10. Re: The Witcher III GDF GotY Mar 17, 2016, 15:11 Bundy

Both Life is Strange and Her Story are pretty good actually. And while I love Witcher 3, a game shouldn't necessarily require a budget in the tens of millions, massive advertising budget and a team of hundreds to win an award.  

9. Re: The Witcher III GDF GotY Mar 17, 2016, 14:22 Nucas

Fion wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 14:15:
Her Story doesn't have the buzz or hype of some other titles, it's not usually on steams top 10 list for the week, that said it does have quite a lot of popularity as a high quality indie that is narrative driven about a high school girl who has the ability to jump a few seconds back in time. I don't know a lot lot about it besides that, but I do know that it's an episodic adventure title that has dozens of 'lets play' video series on youtube and every time a new episode drops, half my friends list lights up with folks playing it.

I see games I've never heard of win an award all the time, or be on a top10 list of best games of the year (PC). That doesn't mean they must be shit games or the awards are 'bought'. But given this industry I don't blame you for immediately leaping to that conclusion.

you're thinking of Life is Strange.

Her Story was an interactive movie game where the UI appears to be a police station database and you have to find and piece together interview clips of some woman to figure out the plot. it struck me as the video game equivalent of oscar bait.

8. Re: The Witcher III GDF GotY Mar 17, 2016, 14:15 Fion

Her Story doesn't have the buzz or hype of some other titles, it's not usually on steams top 10 list for the week, that said it does have quite a lot of popularity as a high quality indie that is narrative driven about a high school girl who has the ability to jump a few seconds back in time. I don't know a lot lot about it besides that, but I do know that it's an episodic adventure title that has dozens of 'lets play' video series on youtube and every time a new episode drops, half a dozen people on my friends list are playing it.

I see games I've never heard of win an award all the time, or be on a top10 list of best games of the year (PC). That doesn't mean they must be shit games or the awards are 'bought'. But given this industry I don't blame you for immediately leaping to that conclusion.

Edit: Yea and WTF Blue? Droppin a title like that!

7. Re: The Witcher III GDF GotY Mar 17, 2016, 13:54 Quinn

Never heard of "Her Story" so how award winning should it be? I mean, I'm such a fucking loser I browse game sites every time life allows me and I. Have. Never. Heard. Of. That. Game.

To me, that looks like the gaming community didn't give a shit about that game. To me, that looks like this GOTY jury is another panel of weird, naked artists who base the awesomeness of something on the way the windowsill in the background is painted applegreen or some weird shit like that.

I'm rambling. Very glad to see The Witcher 3 in there though!! Can't wait for Blood & Wine.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

6. Re: The Witcher III GDF GotY Mar 17, 2016, 11:21 MoreLuckThanSkill

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 11:06:
Fuckin' A, man. For a moment I really thought that this would be the announcement of the GOTY or Enhanced Edition. More waiting... *sigh*

Same. Oh well, tons of games in the queue in the meantime.

Also, Darkest Dungeon got robbed, not even a video or audio award? Ridiculous! Even if the gameplay is a grind, arguably the best art design of any of last year's indie games, aside from possibly Oni and the Blind Forest.

I am tempted to buy Her Story now after the awards, but it still looks like an old school video clip game, aka extremely boring with zero replayability.

5. Re: The Witcher III GDF GotY Mar 17, 2016, 11:06 CJ_Parker

Fuckin' A, man. For a moment I really thought that this would be the announcement of the GOTY or Enhanced Edition. More waiting... *sigh*  

4. Re: The Witcher III GDF GotY Mar 17, 2016, 10:33 nin

No, it was more Blue's various abbreviations that had my head spinning...

3. Re: The Witcher III GDF GotY Mar 17, 2016, 10:31 Task

Did a Striga or Bruxa inappropriately harass you nin lol?  

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

2. Re: The Witcher III GDF GotY Mar 17, 2016, 10:25 nin

The Witcher 3: Go Die in a Fire Game of the Year Edition...

1. Re: The Witcher III GDF GotY Mar 17, 2016, 10:24 Linthat22

Love waiting for Game of the Year editions of big games!  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >