Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Grim Dawn Dawns

Thanks to Tom for reminding us we failed to note the official release of Grim Dawn last week on Steam after an extended Early Access period for the action/RPG, an apologies for the oversight, as this only leaves as couple of hours to get in on the launch discount the game has carried for a couple of years. This post from developer Crate Entertainment addresses the crowdfunded game's release:

It's been a long road to release, but we are finally here!

We would like to thank all of our early supporters (on our website, the Kickstarter and here on Steam). You have helped make this project bigger and better than we even dreamed when we first set out to create it.

Though the release is now a part of history, this does not mean that we will not continue to support the game. You can still look forward to more updates, modding tools, Survival Mode and a full Expansion.

Thank you again, and we hope that you enjoy the game!

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Grim Dawn Dawns Mar 5, 2016, 18:31 Fletch

Undocumented Alien wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 07:56:
However, with Diablo 2, you had to get to a Portal/Rift to not have to fight an area again as it would re-spawn areas just like GD. Diablo 3 is the same way, you need to get to Checkpoints.

Should have specified D2, but I thought TQ had same system. I distinctly remember doing boss runs in TQ in SP. Or, maybe I don't... I'm getting old and my brain doesn't fire as well as it used to. I'm getting old and my brain doesn't fire as well as it used to.

Anyhoo, GD definitely re-spawns with every restart, and it's a blast.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Grim Dawn Dawns Mar 5, 2016, 01:22 Agent.X7

Bought tonight. My eyes are bleeding and I can't stop playing. Love it. Loved TQ too.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

26. Re: Grim Dawn Dawns Mar 5, 2016, 01:13 Sepharo

Undocumented Alien wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 07:56:
Kind of bad examples, since in both Diablo and Diablo 2 the enemies did stay down during the SP campaign. Pretty sure they did in Titan Quest as well.

Diablo(1) saves persisted the current world so nothing re-spawned.

However, with Diablo 2, you had to get to a Portal/Rift to not have to fight an area again as it would re-spawn areas just like GD. Diablo 3 is the same way, you need to get to Checkpoints.

So what GD is doing aligns with modern methods of saving. And as someone else stated, you can boost your level a bit if you need to.

You're definitely thinking of Diablo 2 MP not SP... In SP they will not respawn unless you create a new game.

"you can boost your level a bit if you need to."

His comment wasn't about that. It was about a traditional SP experience free of grinding to "beat" the game. Clearing the monsters as part of the narrative.

25. Re: Grim Dawn Dawns Mar 4, 2016, 10:22 Retired

ugh, fired up a new game overnight when I was supposed to be in bed. Got sucked in until about level 16. So tired.....

Haven't played the game for a long time, tons of improvements and very happy with how the game ended up. Tons of great changes were made during the development process that was requested by the player base.

24. Re: Grim Dawn Dawns Mar 4, 2016, 07:56 Undocumented Alien

Kind of bad examples, since in both Diablo and Diablo 2 the enemies did stay down during the SP campaign. Pretty sure they did in Titan Quest as well.

Diablo(1) saves persisted the current world so nothing re-spawned.

So what GD is doing aligns with modern methods of saving. And as someone else stated, you can boost your level a bit if you need to.

23. Re: Grim Dawn Dawns Mar 4, 2016, 00:06 Sepharo

Fletch wrote on Mar 3, 2016, 23:51:
Acleacius wrote on Mar 3, 2016, 17:58:
I really dislike how there is no save (except for character), making everything constantly respawn. There is never a feeling of accomplishment on 'Saving the World', everything is still there. Protest

Ridiculous. It's like Diablo. It would be pretty hard to level up if everything you killed in one game was still dead the next time you played, not to mention boss runs for high-end loot would be a little difficult. Find the next rift before you quit and you won't have to go back over the same areas again if you don't want to. Have you ever even played Diablo or TQ?

I've logged over 800 hours in GD. Awesome PC game.

22. Re: Grim Dawn Dawns Mar 3, 2016, 23:51 Fletch

Acleacius wrote on Mar 3, 2016, 17:58:
I really dislike how there is no save (except for character), making everything constantly respawn. There is never a feeling of accomplishment on 'Saving the World', everything is still there. Protest

Ridiculous. It's like Diablo. It would be pretty hard to level up if everything you killed in one game was still dead the next time you played, not to mention boss runs for high-end loot would be a little difficult. Find the next rift before you quit and you won't have to go back over the same areas again if you don't want to. Have you ever even played Diablo or TQ?

I've logged over 800 hours in GD. Awesome PC game.

21. Re: Grim Dawn Dawns Mar 3, 2016, 18:20 Ventura

Primalchrome wrote on Mar 3, 2016, 18:02:
I haven't had this much fun with an ARPG since Torchlight II.

There are people that actually like Torchlight 2? Wowsers. Following the amazing Torchlight 1, I found it so bitterly lacklustre. I haven't been that disappointed in a game since the original Dungeon Siege.

20. Re: Grim Dawn Dawns Mar 3, 2016, 18:02 Primalchrome

Darks wrote on Mar 3, 2016, 10:14:
This has to be the asshat comment of the day. You gotta be joking with what you just said right? They built all of those levels from the ground up using the titan Quest engine. yes, but those are all new effects, skills and classes added to the game along with all new updated textures.
You seriously need to get your eyes checked if you think this game was something they just copy and pasted.
He specifically said sections of the skill tree were copy pasted from Titan's Quest. He obviously wasn't referring to the rest of the game. And for emphasis....
You seriously need to get your eyes checked
So far the game seems to have delivered what they promised. I've been having a ball with it for a couple of weeks now. It feels good....but anyone who picks it up should judge it by the indie measuring stick rather than AAA. It is poorly optimized. MP feels bolted on...and is in a VERY sad state. There are still plenty of bugs. Even with all that...damnation, I haven't had this much fun with an ARPG since Torchlight II.

19. Re: Grim Dawn Dawns Mar 3, 2016, 17:58 Acleacius

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

18. Re: Grim Dawn Dawns Mar 3, 2016, 16:43 Ward

Game is the best ARPG currently, blows everything else out of the water in all comparisons. It's everything i hoped for and a lot more. The DRM free version is a few days away, then blissful play without Steam  

17. Re: Grim Dawn Dawns Mar 3, 2016, 16:43 Osc8r

I played it a few months back and whilst i enjoyed it at the beginning i found -

It became repetitive quickly
A lot of abilities were useless or not feasible
A lot of abilities were simply copies of each other between trees/classes
Animations needed a lot of work
Descriptions of abilities were misleading or didn't make sense
Pets scaled terribly - at the beginning they were completely OP, later in the game (once you had put everything into them) they became useless.
The difficulty was not progressive, it went from being ez mode to being instagibbed in the blink of an eye

Overall not a bad effort, but needed some work - and hopefully that work has been done now that's it's going live.

Sadly, it was definitely not TQ for me - as that was a game i played through several times and which had way more variety and viable class mix-matching.

16. Re: Grim Dawn Dawns Mar 3, 2016, 16:14 Cutter

So are these the guys that made Tit Quest?

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

15. Re: Grim Dawn Dawns Mar 3, 2016, 16:04 InBlack

Can I join open multiplayer games and cross swords on people?

(I wonder how many will get the reference)

I have a nifty blue line!

14. Re: Grim Dawn Dawns Mar 3, 2016, 14:54 Tipsy McStagger

I've only just beaten the Warden at level 23 but I'm going to return to path of exile tomorrow.

It has some good features/ideas but so far I'm hating the 3d camera rotations since I don't usually play top down RPGs with a rotating camera to have to see loot in areas. Full Zoom out won't show a good enough angle.

Like all ARPGs, game doesn't begin till really the next difficulty level so its too early to really judge how good the game is.

13. Re: Grim Dawn Dawns Mar 3, 2016, 14:38 PHJF

Or maybe I played ~500 hours of Titan Quest so I know a little bit about it.

Off the top of my head... Nightblade skills (my first character):

The entire top row is copied from Defender in TQ, only it's procs from dual wielding instead of shield.
Blade throwing skill is a straight copy of Rogue's knife throw.
Shadow Strike is a straight copy of Phantom Strike.

Looking at the other class trees, I see a lot more picked straight out of TQ. Charge on soldier, pox on occultist, cadence on soldier... I could go on. They aren't "subtlety different" variations, they are functionally identical to TQ skills with only the names changed.

You can make complete builds around a skill that comes on a piece of gear.

That's good to hear.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. Re: Grim Dawn Dawns Mar 3, 2016, 14:21 Red

I feel like I backed this game in a previous lifetime it's been so long. My only PC is Windows XP with hardware from 2009 that has been literally powered off for 2+ years. How would I even figure out how to claim my copy? I recall backing it for like $80 (to make up for my questionable acquisition of Titan Quest).  

11. Re: Grim Dawn Dawns Mar 3, 2016, 13:39 Esoteric

This game is awesome. Been playing it off and on the past few years. It's actually considerably more indepth than TQ was, with the addition of more components, usable skills on gear, devotion tree, and more/interesting mods on loot. A lot of it doesn't become apparent until after normal difficulty. You can make complete builds around a skill that comes on a piece of gear.

If you're a fan of aRPGs, this is definitely a must buy. Great game, great company.

10. Re: Grim Dawn Dawns Mar 3, 2016, 12:42 Jivaro

I stopped playing fairly early on in beta (early access, whatever) only because I was already convinced of how fun this game was going to be and I didn't want to be tired of it before it was content complete.

Looking forward to jumping back in.

9. Re: Grim Dawn Dawns Mar 3, 2016, 12:21 Retired

2nd game to be released behind Pixel Pirates. (EA that is)  

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo