Rock Band 4 PC Crowdfunding

Following a recent Harmonix post about the viability of rhythm gaming on the PC, they have launched a crowdfunding campaign on Fig to bring Rock Band 4 and the Rock Band Network to Windows (thanks Doug). They explain this will be a port, which will allow their core engineering team to support them and continue their work refining the game, and their initial goal is $1.5 million. Here's more on their proposal:

The PC version of Rock Band 4 will have ALL the same content and features as the console versions currently do:

• World Tour Campaign Mode
  • Freestyle Guitar Solos
  • 65 songs included "out of the box" - and you can get up to 33 additional songs if you back us here on Fig!
  • 1700+ additional playable songs available as downloadable content
  • Supporting wireless guitar controller, drum kit and next generation microphone
  • For more information, full song list and complete specifications, please visit http://www.rockband4.com

In addition:

• Tools to author your own songs for play in the PC version of Rock Band 4 - submit them to Rock Band Network via Steam Workshop and share with the rest of the Rock Band 4 PC community!
  • Mouse and computer keyboard support for menu navigation
  • All feature and content updates from the console game. Rock Band 4 on the PC will have all of the updates released prior to its launch, and will continue to be updated alongside the console versions moving forward.

View : : :
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Rock Band 4 PC Crowdfunding
Mar 3, 2016, 07:22
Dev

Re: Rock Band 4 PC Crowdfunding Mar 3, 2016, 07:22
Mar 3, 2016, 07:22
 Dev

Anyone notice this bit?

"Put your own songs in the game and sell via steam workshop"

And you can also invest in the game, for every $250 you will get about .35 cents (i.e. about one third of a cent) for every copy sold (up to a certain amount, then it will half for the rest).
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/rock-band-4-pc/invest
I'm not going to, but it's an interesting choice

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2016, 07:27.

Mar 3, 2016, 07:15
Dev

Re: Rock Band 4 PC Crowdfunding Mar 3, 2016, 07:15
Mar 3, 2016, 07:15
 Dev

Jivaro wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 12:20:
I have backed 10 different projects over the last few years. Nine of them are done, 1 is almost done and I would donate to all of them again. So if we are going to go by individual experience rather than looking at the overall big picture how do we settle it? Who has the more valid point of view? I mean, you only backed 5, I backed 10. Does my quantity give me the "right" point of view?
Well I've backed almost 200 projects, so my opinion must be worth 20 times yours!
Basically, from the KS study they put on their website, about 9% don't deliver. If you can't afford to lose the money you back with. Personally most of the projects I back I do at something around a $10 level.
https://www.kickstarter.com/fulfillment
The vast majority of KS's I've backed are late, some YEARS late. But most have delivered (even if they've cost their creator significantly more than he got on the project).
The few that haven't, oh well. Such is life, I haven't put a significant amount into those.

(Yes I realize I'm cutting your quote off, to make a point )

Fig though... ugh. Why didn't they use KS?

Mar 2, 2016, 19:24
Re: Rock Band 4 PC Crowdfunding Mar 2, 2016, 19:24
Mar 2, 2016, 19:24

Kxmode wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 10:45:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 06:21:
The problem is that if you had any idea how game development works you'd not be surprised at this at all.... even decent indy devs can end up running themselves against a rock, feature creeping and never ending up with a fun product that's worthy to be released. Game development isn't a science where you mix ideas and suddenly they produce a fun game out of thin air once you input X amount of money.... and "street cred" means jack shit nowadays. The digital sales landscape has drastically changed the past 2 years.

What you say and mean is total nonsense. Just because you don't like crowdfunding games we should wipe these above mentioned games out of existence or what? Because that would have been the result had your oppinion any sway in gamer communities (thankfully most of us are old enough to know what patience means, and we don't cry over 20$ lost on 1 project of 20 ,p)

Btw, FIG and all those other platforms that are not KS and indiegogo are another matter imo.

With all due respect there's a huge difference between patience and expectation. My patience is based on the expectation of what the company pitches to me (the backer), what they say to the media, and in dev videos. I can assure you that my reaction to crowdfunding and early access is a product of their failure to deliver on their promises.

It's based on experience. Every single project I backed has yet to be fully released. I've backed non game projects like an animated series called Hullabaloo; created by former Disney animation professionals. If a few of these projects missed their target date or were released late I wouldn't mind, but virtually all of them have done this proving to me that for the most part crowdfunding is a dismal failure. Basically the only thing that I backed that turned out to be successful was MADE, a video game museum in Oakland, California. They were raising funds to keep their museum open for the next few years.

I really appreciate your point of view on this matter but you have to understand something. When someone is repeatedly lied to, taken for a sucker, not given what they paid for according to the pitch eventually this erodes trust. When these pitch people make promises to potential backers they better deliver. So until I see more evidence of companies actually delivering on their promises I stand by what I said. I will not back crowdfunded or buy early access games.

I always respect your opinion I know you had a ton of bad experiences, and I can't blame you for being doubtful of the whole system, but for many of us we had no such thing. I didn't back a single thing (yet) that didn't deliver exactly what was promised (for Star Citizen I am suspecting I get way more, and maybe something different, than I ever wanted). Sure the time-frame was out of whack often, but I worked on enough indy games to know that a sudden increase in scope (or the discovery that what you made SUCKS) can completely wreck your entire timeplan.

The problem is, it seems, that you funded projects you really wanted to come to fruition that severely understated the money they needed and thus are always at the fringe of collapse. $80,000USD for Hullabaloo for example threw up all the red flags for me. There is no way you make animated hand-drawn (whatever that means) movie for 80k -tax -fee.. so they got 470k.. but imo that is still only half to a third of that they really had needed.

Basically I can understand you though. If I had such a bad streak I would not crowdfund either. Currently I have 4 projects still ongoing.. 2 really low impact indy games (1 seems to be on track, 1 seems dead), Star Citizen, and that vampire sidescroller whose name I always forget ;p

So far my success chance was thus... 91% .. I am very VERY picky with my pledges though. For example I looked at that animated steam punk movie back when it was funding phase and dropped it because I thought the entire first notion was wrong. They seemed to have no idea what (HD) animation actually costs.

Mar 2, 2016, 18:19
Re: Rock Band 4 PC Crowdfunding Mar 2, 2016, 18:19
Mar 2, 2016, 18:19

nin wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 12:10:
Creston wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 12:08:
Pay for us to port this to you!

I get the feeling they're on the ropes these days. Wouldn't be surprised if they fold in the next year or two. Madcatz basically admitted RB4 didn't come close to meeting expectations, and their other previous game used KS funds.

Yeah, they're probably quickly going the way of the dodo. As it usually happens with one-trick ponies.

Mar 2, 2016, 13:23
nin

Re: Rock Band 4 PC Crowdfunding Mar 2, 2016, 13:23
Mar 2, 2016, 13:23
 nin

Jivaro wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 12:20:
Somebody lists a bunch of successes in crowdfunding and none of that matters because you donated to some that failed?

Sorry the stuff you backed is turning out to be failures.

I've told him that!

Mar 2, 2016, 12:20
Jivaro

Re: Rock Band 4 PC Crowdfunding Mar 2, 2016, 12:20
Mar 2, 2016, 12:20
 Jivaro

Somebody lists a bunch of successes in crowdfunding and none of that matters because you donated to some that failed?

Sorry the stuff you backed is turning out to be failures. I have backed 10 different projects over the last few years. Nine of them are done, 1 is almost done and I would donate to all of them again. So if we are going to go by individual experience rather than looking at the overall big picture how do we settle it? Who has the more valid point of view? I mean, you only backed 5, I backed 10. Does my quantity give me the "right" point of view? Of course not. That would be stupid. Nobody's personal experience, by itself, means jackshit.

Crowdfunding makes things possible that wouldn't have been possible before because the target audience is dictating the cash flow. Crowdfunding gives creative people freedom from corporate money. All of that said, crowdfunding is also a risk. Crowdfunding is an opportunity for someone to take your money and spend it doing something other than what they promised. Crowdfunding means that what you pitched in for at the beginning might evolve into something you aren't as happy with by the time it is done. Crowdfunding means that unfortunately some folks that really can afford to take on the financial risk of development don't have to anymore.

It means all of that stuff and more. It sounds like you shouldn't participate in it anymore, that is for sure. I just don't agree that the process itself is a problem. People are the problem, as they are in any process.

As for Fig....yeah, I am not sure I would do that either but that has to do with that specific entity and a particular individual. It isn't somehow representative of everything crowdsourced on the planet. That's like saying the Yugo was representative of all European cars ever.

Mar 2, 2016, 12:10
nin

Re: Rock Band 4 PC Crowdfunding Mar 2, 2016, 12:10
Mar 2, 2016, 12:10
 nin

Creston wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 12:08:

I get the feeling they're on the ropes these days. Wouldn't be surprised if they fold in the next year or two. Madcatz basically admitted RB4 didn't come close to meeting expectations, and their other previous game used KS funds.

Mar 2, 2016, 12:08
Re: Rock Band 4 PC Crowdfunding Mar 2, 2016, 12:08
Mar 2, 2016, 12:08

Mar 2, 2016, 10:52
Kxmode

Re: Rock Band 4 PC Crowdfunding Mar 2, 2016, 10:52
Mar 2, 2016, 10:52
 Kxmode

descender wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 10:43:
Also, at this point I'm convinced that Chris Roberts must have touched kxmode in his no-no spot.

If by no-no spot you mean my credit card, yes, he touched my no-no spot.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Mar 2, 2016, 10:45
Kxmode

Re: Rock Band 4 PC Crowdfunding Mar 2, 2016, 10:45
Mar 2, 2016, 10:45
 Kxmode

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 06:21:
The problem is that if you had any idea how game development works you'd not be surprised at this at all.... even decent indy devs can end up running themselves against a rock, feature creeping and never ending up with a fun product that's worthy to be released. Game development isn't a science where you mix ideas and suddenly they produce a fun game out of thin air once you input X amount of money.... and "street cred" means jack shit nowadays. The digital sales landscape has drastically changed the past 2 years.

What you say and mean is total nonsense. Just because you don't like crowdfunding games we should wipe these above mentioned games out of existence or what? Because that would have been the result had your oppinion any sway in gamer communities (thankfully most of us are old enough to know what patience means, and we don't cry over 20$ lost on 1 project of 20 ,p)

Btw, FIG and all those other platforms that are not KS and indiegogo are another matter imo.

With all due respect there's a huge difference between patience and expectation. My patience is based on the expectation of what the company pitches to me (the backer), what they say to the media, and in dev videos. I can assure you that my reaction to crowdfunding and early access is a product of their failure to deliver on their promises.

It's based on experience. Every single project I backed has yet to be fully released. I've backed non game projects like an animated series called Hullabaloo; created by former Disney animation professionals. If a few of these projects missed their target date or were released late I wouldn't mind, but virtually all of them have done this proving to me that for the most part crowdfunding is a dismal failure. Basically the only thing that I backed that turned out to be successful was MADE, a video game museum in Oakland, California. They were raising funds to keep their museum open for the next few years.

I really appreciate your point of view on this matter but you have to understand something. When someone is repeatedly lied to, taken for a sucker, not given what they paid for according to the pitch eventually this erodes trust. When these pitch people make promises to potential backers they better deliver. So until I see more evidence of companies actually delivering on their promises I stand by what I said. I will not back crowdfunded or buy early access games.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Mar 2, 2016, 10:43
Re: Rock Band 4 PC Crowdfunding Mar 2, 2016, 10:43
Mar 2, 2016, 10:43

You shitbags have been charging an extra $60 for a plastic 6-button bluetoooth remote on top of your software profits and you want more of our money to finally release something on PC that is at least 4 or 5 years past it's prime?

Go. Fuck. Yourselves.

Also, at this point I'm convinced that Chris Roberts must have touched kxmode in his no-no spot.

Mar 2, 2016, 07:31
Bub
Re: Rock Band 4 PC Crowdfunding Mar 2, 2016, 07:31
Mar 2, 2016, 07:31
Bub

Just wait until this generation moves into the stock market.

"Who needs rules and regulations, lets sell stocks like crowdfunding works!"
==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================

Mar 2, 2016, 06:21
Re: Rock Band 4 PC Crowdfunding Mar 2, 2016, 06:21
Mar 2, 2016, 06:21

Kxmode wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 03:47:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 03:15:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 00:41:
I hate crowdfunding and I hope it dies a painful death it deserves. It's the video game funding equivalent of snake oil salespeople. Like this bullshit.

Short-sighted much? There are plenty of good/great games that wouldn't exist without crowdfunding. Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Broken Age, FTL, Hand of Fate, Sunless Sea, SUPERHOT, Distance, Road Redemption, Grim Dawn, Undertale, Satellite Reign, Elite Dangerous, Divinity: Original Sin, The Long Dark, Xenonauts, Armello, Hand of Fate, Risk of Rain, Banner Saga, LISA, Dropsy...

But yes, let's wipe all those games from existence because of a few failed projects. You may not like crowdfunding but let's not pretend that it hasn't helped bring good games to fruition.

The Fig crowdfunding platform is the next bullshit scam. I stand by what I said and I mean it.

Mar 2, 2016, 05:31
Re: Rock Band 4 PC Crowdfunding Mar 2, 2016, 05:31
Mar 2, 2016, 05:31

I think they've made enough cash in the past to be able to afford porting their game to the PC without dipping into my pocket. And if they don't raise the money, they'll still do it anyways.

Add in that fig involves the double fine guy, and not a chance.

Mar 2, 2016, 03:47
Kxmode

Re: Rock Band 4 PC Crowdfunding Mar 2, 2016, 03:47
Mar 2, 2016, 03:47
 Kxmode

Jerykk wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 03:15:
I hate crowdfunding and I hope it dies a painful death it deserves. It's the video game funding equivalent of snake oil salespeople. Like this bullshit.

Short-sighted much? There are plenty of good/great games that wouldn't exist without crowdfunding. Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Broken Age, FTL, Hand of Fate, Sunless Sea, SUPERHOT, Distance, Road Redemption, Grim Dawn, Undertale, Satellite Reign, Elite Dangerous, Divinity: Original Sin, The Long Dark, Xenonauts, Armello, Hand of Fate, Risk of Rain, Banner Saga, LISA, Dropsy...

But yes, let's wipe all those games from existence because of a few failed projects. You may not like crowdfunding but let's not pretend that it hasn't helped bring good games to fruition.

The Fig crowdfunding platform is the next bullshit scam. I stand by what I said and I mean it.

Mar 2, 2016, 03:15
Re: Rock Band 4 PC Crowdfunding Mar 2, 2016, 03:15
Mar 2, 2016, 03:15

Mar 2, 2016, 01:13
Re: Rock Band 4 PC Crowdfunding Mar 2, 2016, 01:13
Mar 2, 2016, 01:13

To be fair, so far everything I've kickstarted I've been satisfied with, with the possible exception of Mighty #9. I think every time they post on that one, my expectations just drop a little more.
It's like lending money to a friend, be careful, and never give out any more than you can afford to lose.

Mar 2, 2016, 00:41
Kxmode

Re: Rock Band 4 PC Crowdfunding Mar 2, 2016, 00:41
Mar 2, 2016, 00:41
 Kxmode

Mar 1, 2016, 23:13
Re: Rock Band 4 PC Crowdfunding Mar 1, 2016, 23:13
Mar 1, 2016, 23:13

While it's cool that they want to bring this to PC, I just don't see there being enough interest. Rock Band interest in general has greatly diminished over the years and there was never much interest from the PC market to begin with.

Mar 1, 2016, 23:05
Re: Rock Band 4 PC Crowdfunding Mar 1, 2016, 23:05
Mar 1, 2016, 23:05

Hmm, good luck with that. That ship sailed quite a few years ago. All 6 of the Rock Band fans should be excited though.
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older