Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Safety Dance

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Feb 29, 2016, 14:10 Bundy

ViRGE wrote on Feb 29, 2016, 04:13:
Brazor wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 20:42:
I read an article some months ago about people using devices in their pockets to scan the chip cards in peoples wallets. Just by walking close to them or bumping into them on the street. But there's supposedly wallets out there meant to block those.

Give it less than a year and chip cards won't be anything special safety wise. They'll figure it out.
You can't scan chip cards like that. Chip cards require direct contact to interface with, as they're not wireless devices. Plus the card is designed in such a way that you can't reuse authentication tokens, so even if you could connect to a card, you need the chip for each and every transaction you attempt.

It sounds like you confused chip cards with NFC/RFID.

Yeah it's the NFC scanners that I've heard about people using to steal money. As long as the dollar amount is below $30 or something, then a PIN isn't required. Technically I suppose it's true. I've used my CC to pay that way and I don't see any reason a thief who had the hardware couldn't utilize it that way. You can get cards for your wallet that are supposed to shield them against this type of gadget. I have one, but I haven't tried putting it to the test yet.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Feb 29, 2016, 04:13 ViRGE

Brazor wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 20:42:
I read an article some months ago about people using devices in their pockets to scan the chip cards in peoples wallets. Just by walking close to them or bumping into them on the street. But there's supposedly wallets out there meant to block those.

Give it less than a year and chip cards won't be anything special safety wise. They'll figure it out.
You can't scan chip cards like that. Chip cards require direct contact to interface with, as they're not wireless devices. Plus the card is designed in such a way that you can't reuse authentication tokens, so even if you could connect to a card, you need the chip for each and every transaction you attempt.

It sounds like you confused chip cards with NFC/RFID.

4. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Feb 28, 2016, 20:42 Brazor

3. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Feb 28, 2016, 19:32 Earlyworm

Are Hackers Already Outsmarting New Chip Credit Cards?

According to the actual article they are not outsmarting the new chip cards at all. The hackers are instead moving their focus on "card no present" online fraud where the chip doesn't come into play. I presumed from the headline that they would somehow have hacked the chips.

2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Feb 28, 2016, 17:17 Wallshadows

A chip out in the wild is another decent layer of security but with more and more consumers purchasing their goods on the internet, that's the real test of card security. With a little leg work, some dickhead can find out the billing address tied to the card and all they have to worry about is fat-fingering the card number and three-digit key and collect before it gets reported as stolen.

The ONLY time I have ever seen a third step requirement was a couple days ago when I bought a Windows 10 OEM key from G2play. I threw in my payment information, hit submit, and was given an error stating that I had to contact my bank in order to unblock, verify, and complete the order. I still got around this by paying through paypal though.

1. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Feb 28, 2016, 15:41 ZeroPike1

Ohh its not a perfect system ether, Chip cards. But its better then a single magnetic strip and a signature anyone can forge and nobody checks anyways, with the old style cards.  

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo