Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

So tonight is the Oscars. As I've mentioned in the past, I don't see many movies in the theaters, so having seen two best picture nominees (Mad Max: Fury Road and The Martian) makes me far better informed this year than in the past. I usually don't watch the broadcast of the awards, and tonight is not likely to be an exception, as I will probably be watching the Heroes of the Storm North American Spring Regionals, which is trading one thing that some people would never be caught dead watching for another. But hey, different strokes for different folks, amiright?

Worthy Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Dynamons.
Star Cars.
Links: My 2016 Oscar Picks - loonyblog.
Stories: Spectacular photos of dolphin playing with an octopus in Mandurah.
Science: Report: More Pollinator Species In Jeopardy, Threatening World Food Supply.
Media: Blade Runner: The Other Side of Modernity.
Yoga balls are dangerous. So is stupidity.
Mean Tweets: Sean Penn for the Win.
The Funnies: Peter Fox Presents - FoxTrot.
View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

19. @midnight trump insults Feb 28, 2016, 18:09 RedEye9

PHJF wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 16:33:
I don't know if you've noticed, but Trump is a white supremacist.
And that's the nicest thing anyone could say about that orange condom filled with rancid stew known as donald trump.
@midnight trump insults

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2016, 18:00 nin

eDave wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 17:56:
rudra wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 17:12:
Trump refused to condemn that endorsement or say he didn't want the support of white supremacists — four times.

you got some kind of anecdotal evidence or anything specific here? or are you just being a jabber jaw

I'd prefer if we left this shit out of Blues News.

Come on over to the "doom uncut" thread and witness some amazing line of thought. Someone just claimed that if you're Pakistani and a Muslim, you can't be a racist.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2016, 18:00 rudra

eDave wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 17:56:
Trump refused to condemn that endorsement or say he didn't want the support of white supremacists — four times.

you got some kind of anecdotal evidence or anything specific here? or are you just being a jabber jaw

you dont have to read it, or contribute

once you own the site, become the moderator, etc. - then you can do what you like... until then, just go away

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2016, 17:56 eDave

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2016, 17:12 rudra

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2016, 16:33 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2016, 16:21 Julio

rudra wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 12:41:
havent seen Fury Road - i heard that Mad Max is more of a side character compared to Charlize Theron, who is the main... it sounds fucked up

Max plays the neutered gimp to the feminist main character. It shouldn't win any awards.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2016, 16:10 rudra

On the Sunday morning talk shows, Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump refused to condemn endorsements from a prominent white supremacist and former KKK leader, and said he retweeted a Mussolini quote because "it's a very good quote."

The extended conversation about white supremacists came on CNN's State of the Union, where Jake Tapper asked if Trump would distance himself from an endorsement by David Duke, former grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan. Duke has told his radio audience that voting against Trump would be "treason to your heritage."

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2016, 15:13 jdreyer

Report: More Pollinator Species In Jeopardy, Threatening World Food Supply.

Meh, food is overrated. Who needs that, really?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2016, 14:44 jdreyer

havent seen Fury Road - i heard that Mad Max is more of a side character compared to Charlize Theron, who is the main... it sounds fucked up

What's fucked up is that Theron got snubbed for best actress. What's also fucked up is that Vikander didn't get nominated for Ex Machina, but that's tempered by her nomination in The Danish Girl. Not really feeling that J Law needs yet another nomination. My guess is that either Brie or Cate will take it.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2016, 14:40 eRe4s3r

Well, that yoga balls link is not something even remotely entertaining to watch. Stupidity is dangerous, but in this case some of those recordings were extremely malicious.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2016, 13:41 MajorD

Quboid wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 12:51:

It's about Max's role in someone else's story in a similar way to Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome.

You guys have it all wrong, it was all about the guitar player.

Still counting...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2016, 13:12 killer_roach

PHJF wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 11:01:
I would say they can't heavily award Fury Road because in the end it was a thrill ride instead of a cohesive and thoughtful narrative... but they gave Gravity best picture, so what the hell do I know. Revenant was the same, albeit with more cinematographic gusto. Boyhood was boring as fuck all but in an industry now ruled by Marvel boots, reboots, and sequels, I guess you gotta give people chops for doing something different.

Boyhood was directed by Richard Linklater, who carries a lot of art-house cinema cred. There's cinephiles who will go nuts over anything he does, regardless of quality (and he's usually short on quality, but long on creativity, even if that creativity often borders on novelty).

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2016, 12:51 Quboid

It's about Max's role in someone else's story in a similar way to Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2016, 12:41 rudra

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2016, 12:05 InBlack

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 11:57:

The start, bear scene and the ending of the movie do not make up for the 2 hours and 10 minutes of terrible filler they put in it.

I agree with the first part of your statement, but this last sentence of yours clearly shows that you missed the point of the film. Thats ok, it's not for everybody. It's basically a big budget art movie. I'm amazed that it got made at all. I enjoyed the picture, all of it, the terrible filler as you so put it was breathtaking to watch.

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2016, 11:57 Tipsy McStagger

I really hope Leo doesn't win an Oscar for The Revenant.

I actually think that was one of his worse movies. I would say that Tom Hardy (the main antagonist character) out performed Leo in every single fashion in this movie. I would also say Domhnall Gleeson out performed Leo in this movie as well.

The start, bear scene and the ending of the movie do not make up for the 2 hours and 10 minutes of terrible filler they put in it.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2016, 11:01 PHJF

I would say they can't heavily award Fury Road because in the end it was a thrill ride instead of a cohesive and thoughtful narrative... but they gave Gravity best picture, so what the hell do I know. Revenant was the same, albeit with more cinematographic gusto. Boyhood was boring as fuck all but in an industry now ruled by Marvel boots, reboots, and sequels, I guess you gotta give people chops for doing something different.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2016, 10:50 Quboid

Last year it was Boyhood that people spent much more time talking about how it was made than how good the actual film is. This year it's The Revanant. That worries me, I don't care if an actor lived in the wild with nothing but a loincloth for 18 months or if they sat in a heated studio in front of a green screen, I care about how good the film. These things, like method acting and practical effects, are a very rough indication of quality, not a guarantee.

I thought Fury Road was excellent. There's no hard and fast rule for how to do art but their mix of CG-tweaked practical foregrounds and more heavily CG'ed backgrounds worked superbly.

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >