Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

So tonight is the Oscars. As I've mentioned in the past, I don't see many movies in the theaters, so having seen two best picture nominees (Mad Max: Fury Road and The Martian) makes me far better informed this year than in the past. I usually don't watch the broadcast of the awards, and tonight is not likely to be an exception, as I will probably be watching the Heroes of the Storm North American Spring Regionals, which is trading one thing that some people would never be caught dead watching for another. But hey, different strokes for different folks, amiright?

Worthy Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Dynamons.
Star Cars.
Links: My 2016 Oscar Picks - loonyblog.
Stories: Spectacular photos of dolphin playing with an octopus in Mandurah.
Science: Report: More Pollinator Species In Jeopardy, Threatening World Food Supply.
Media: Blade Runner: The Other Side of Modernity.
Yoga balls are dangerous. So is stupidity.
Mean Tweets: Sean Penn for the Win.
The Funnies: Peter Fox Presents - FoxTrot.
View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2016, 00:02 nin

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 1, 2016, 23:47:
Ahh, thank you John Oliver.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Donald Trump (HBO)

I sent that in yesterday, and at the risk of causing a riot on the board, Blue respectfully declined to run it.

But it IS damn accurate.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2016, 23:47 Mr. Tact

Ahh, thank you John Oliver.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Donald Trump (HBO)

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

37. Re: @midnight trump insults Feb 29, 2016, 22:09 Nucas

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 29, 2016, 13:19:
Creston wrote on Feb 29, 2016, 10:12:
I will vote for any presidential candidate who promises to fire 99% of Congress.
Many of our Presidents probably would have done that, if they could have -- neither can anyone who gets elected in 2016.

Our government is so dysfunctional now I'm not sure how we fix it. But somehow electing Trump doesn't seem like a step in the right direction...

by electing new congressmen, basically. the largest voting bloc is baby boomers (and even they don't turn out in the droves they normally do) but they run the show and they re-elect the same people, over and over. back in the 2014 midterms voter turnout was only 35%. that's nationally embarrassing. millennial turnout was 19%. meanwhile congress's approval rating is 5%.

consider mitch mcconnell, a career politician that's done nothing but shit all over the democratic process for 8 years and he continues to cruise into re-election and people grouse that "nothing changes". no shit.

36. Re: @midnight trump insults Feb 29, 2016, 19:17 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 29, 2016, 15:59:
descender wrote on Feb 29, 2016, 14:58:
One thing is for sure, they will probably never win another major election until their messaging changes completely. They've done absolutely nothing to address the main reasons why their brand is falling out of favor with the majority of voters today.
I'd like to think you are right. But based on the 2014 mid terms, and historical Presidential elections I am far from being certain you are. The GOP has some momentum simply because the Ds have held the Presidency for the last two terms. I certainly don't see them losing control of the House anytime soon.
They've completely gerrymandered the districts so that even though people support Dems by 5-10 points they control the house and will continue to do so until the n3xt redistricting. Also Republicans vote at a higher % than Dems thus dispropotionally increasing their power. This is mostly caused by working class Dems being unable to take off work to vote. Mandating both vote by mail and making election days national holidays could mitigate this disparity.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

35. Re: @midnight trump insults Feb 29, 2016, 15:59 Mr. Tact

descender wrote on Feb 29, 2016, 14:58:
One thing is for sure, they will probably never win another major election until their messaging changes completely. They've done absolutely nothing to address the main reasons why their brand is falling out of favor with the majority of voters today.
I'd like to think you are right. But based on the 2014 mid terms, and historical Presidential elections I am far from being certain you are. The GOP has some momentum simply because the Ds have held the Presidency for the last two terms. I certainly don't see them losing control of the House anytime soon.

34. Re: @midnight trump insults Feb 29, 2016, 14:58 descender

A new major political party rising from the ashes of the GOP would be my first best guess as to how the gridlock in congress finally gets resolved. It almost has to be this way because the entire GOP has been co-opted by the ultra-conservative Tea-party and there is not a single "establishment" conservative in congress that could unite them or back them down off of their extreme right-wing views.

The only real question is does the Tea-Party break off and set up even farther to the right (hello nazi Germany) or does the establishment break off and set up closer to the center where the "base" used to be.

Trump is the literal wolf in sheep's clothing. He is verifiably liberal and democrat for the entirety of his life and he is making a mockery of the GOP by showing exactly how easy riled up their new "tea-party" voter is and how little control the GOP establishment has of this monster it created in it's attempt to stop President Blackenstein from taking office or accomplishing anything.

One thing is for sure, they will probably never win another major election until their messaging changes completely. They've done absolutely nothing to address the main reasons why their brand is falling out of favor with the majority of voters today. They are going to lose the exact same demographics in the exact same ways in this upcoming election as they did in the last 2. No women, no minorities. yet, on the surface... extreme confidence. So confident that they are going to delay a supreme court nominee for 10 months on the off chance that they win the next election. This is wishful thinking at best, pure delusion at worst.

33. Re: @midnight trump insults Feb 29, 2016, 13:19 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Feb 29, 2016, 10:12:
I will vote for any presidential candidate who promises to fire 99% of Congress.
Many of our Presidents probably would have done that, if they could have -- neither can anyone who gets elected in 2016.

Our government is so dysfunctional now I'm not sure how we fix it. But somehow electing Trump doesn't seem like a step in the right direction...

32. Re: @midnight trump insults Feb 29, 2016, 10:12 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Feb 29, 2016, 01:20:
Trump is just an egoist. He'd probably just cruise around on AF1, play golf with world leaders, and fire his cabinet regularly, cuz can.

31. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 29, 2016, 09:12 LiTh

Idris Elba in Beasts of No Nation was my pick for best actor of 2015. Anyways atleast Leo can now come out of his horse cave.  

30. Re: Only saw SW:TFA & Specture in the theaters for 2015. Feb 29, 2016, 01:38 jdreyer

Ant wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 20:35:
I am slow with the new (and old) releases. I do kind of want to see Deadpool though, but everyone saw it already.

I haven't seen it yet. Where do you live? Road trip!

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2016, 01:35 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 18:44:
amen to that. that dude pretty much embodied the whole film.

i also thought revenant was overrated. i wasn't wowed by it or leo's acting. in fact, i thought it wasn't even the best film in its genre. the liam neeson film, The Grey, i thought was far superior and that gets no recognition at all.

The Grey was awesome. Totally underrated. Couldn't believe it ended up on Netflix less than a year after release (gone now, sadly).

Another totally awesome underrated film: Hanna.

28. Re: @midnight trump insults Feb 29, 2016, 01:20 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 18:09:
PHJF wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 16:33:
I don't know if you've noticed, but Trump is a white supremacist.
And that's the nicest thing anyone could say about that orange condom filled with rancid stew known as donald trump.
@midnight trump insults

I'd be more worried for the country as a whole with a President Cruz than a President Trump. Although they're both sociopaths, Cruz is an ideologue who can do some real damage (also he's the Zodiac Killer). Trump is just an egoist. He'd probably just cruise around on AF1, play golf with world leaders, and fire his cabinet regularly, cuz can. Luckily, polls show both with massive negatives.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2016, 00:52 jdreyer

eDave wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 17:56:

I'd prefer if we left this shit out of Blues News.

Blue is pretty good about moderating the site. If you posted something political on a game thread, it will be deleted. This thread is "Out of the Blue" so people can post pretty much what they want, as long as it adheres to site rules (no homophobia, personal attacks, warez site links, etc.).

That being said, political arguments tend to erupt in the Legal section, so I'd suggest steering clear of that. It's actually rare that we get one in OotB.

26. Re: Only saw SW:TFA & Specture in the theaters for 2015. Feb 28, 2016, 20:49 nin

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 20:43:
I am slow with the new (and old) releases. I do kind of want to see Deadpool though, but everyone saw it already.

GO SEE DEADPOOL. And watch it again on dvd at home. It's worth it.

Seen it twice and already have the blu/digital ordered.

While I hoped it would be good, it really surprised me both how good it was, and the fact that it's on its 3rd weekend now as the #1 movie...I never would have guessed it would be this successful.

25. Re: Only saw SW:TFA & Specture in the theaters for 2015. Feb 28, 2016, 20:43 RedEye9

GO SEE DEADPOOL. And watch it again on dvd at home. It's worth it.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

24. Only saw SW:TFA & Specture in the theaters for 2015. Feb 28, 2016, 20:35 Ant

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2016, 20:23 Nucas

1badmf wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 18:44:
MajorD wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 13:41:
Quboid wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 12:51:
rudra wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 12:41:
havent seen Fury Road - i heard that Mad Max is more of a side character compared to Charlize Theron, who is the main... it sounds fucked up

It's about Max's role in someone else's story in a similar way to Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome.

You guys have it all wrong, it was all about the guitar player.

i also thought revenant was overrated. i wasn't wowed by it or leo's acting. in fact, i thought it wasn't even the best film in its genre. the liam neeson film, The Grey, i thought was far superior and that gets no recognition at all.

i was thinking the same thing; or "the hunted" with benicio del toro and tommy lee jones. but the grey really is a different kind of movie; bleak, harsh. roger ebert said in his review it gave him such a pit in his stomach he walked out of the next movie he was watching.

nin wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 18:00:
Come on over to the "doom uncut" thread and witness some amazing line of thought. Someone just claimed that if you're Pakistani and a Muslim, you can't be a racist.

man what a mess that is. you gave me some good advice years ago about just hitting ignore and forgetting about it. many people don't want to change their minds, they just want everyone to know how right they are.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2016, 20:17 Julio

rudra wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 17:12:
PHJF wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 16:33:
Trump refused to condemn that endorsement or say he didn't want the support of white supremacists — four times.

I don't know if you've noticed, but Trump is a white supremacist.

you got some kind of anecdotal evidence or anything specific here? or are you just being a jabber jaw

He's just afraid of Trump and making things up as if it's going to stop Trump becoming president.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2016, 18:54 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 15:13:
Report: More Pollinator Species In Jeopardy, Threatening World Food Supply.

Meh, food is overrated. Who needs that, really?

Not to worry, man. WWIII will most likely happen before 2050 anyway. And I love the irony that these sorts of problems only make that scenario that much more likely.

It's over, Johnny. It's over!

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2016, 18:44 1badmf

MajorD wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 13:41:
Quboid wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 12:51:
rudra wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 12:41:
havent seen Fury Road - i heard that Mad Max is more of a side character compared to Charlize Theron, who is the main... it sounds fucked up

It's about Max's role in someone else's story in a similar way to Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome.

You guys have it all wrong, it was all about the guitar player.

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >