Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

DOOM Uncut for Germany

A Bethesda Deutschland tweet announces DOOM will come to Germany with no content cuts, a first for the violent shooter series. Polygon has more on the news after discussing it with Bethesda's Pete Hines. "We're pleased the game can be released in its entirety in Germany without the need to edit or change anything," Bethesda vice president of marketing Pete Hines told Polygon. "Perhaps not all that surprising given how other titles have been rated there recently, but still a cool thing to see given that Doom and Doom 2 were banned in Germany and were delisted a few years ago."

View
66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

66. Re: DOOM Uncut for Germany Feb 29, 2016, 14:04 Quinn

I understand you. Hell, I can't find anything to disagree with.

I think most right ppl are generally frustrated about something; about inaction, while everything around them goes to shit. That's one reason why many sometimes sound like they didn't think things through. There are, indeed, only a few who do make sense.

Liberalism is growing too soft in some cases, especially regarding the refugees. Know this, though: personally, I want nothing else than to see the refugees be taken into our care. But they need to be screened thoroughly so to be sure they are refugees of WAR and not ECONOMY (for example). There's a "Come in, come in! And wipe away your worries!" thing going on, sadly. It's disconcerting.

I would like you to read a small article from Sam Harris that got some heat, but I agree with it completely: www.samharris.org/blog/item/the-end-of-liberalism

It portrays the problem of what I'm talking about, in a sense. Even though it mainly talks about Muslims, and not refugees.

This comment was edited on Feb 29, 2016, 14:21.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

65. Re: DOOM Uncut for Germany Feb 29, 2016, 13:37 descender

You speak as if talking to an extreme right person.
I wasn't actually speaking directly to you but I'm glad you don't support ignorantly banning entire ethnic groups from anything, you shouldn't. That shouldn't even be considered a right/left decision, that should be a moral/immoral decision. Are you not reading to the other posts in this thread calling for banning Muslim's and the other things I'm actually talking about/responding to? We're one step short of building a wall around Germany in this thread, it is dripping with right-wing talking points of fear and isolationism... of course that is what I and anyone else is going to respond to in the conversation.

It's over-tolerant, pussy shite like this what pisses me off.
And a super-macho cave-man mentality pisses other people off, so we're all out of our comfort zone! /shakeyfist

This scenario you have constructed does not really exist though, and is not being argued by me so... I can't really respond to it the way I would if it were a point I was defending or trying to make. Just because liberal people aren't as willing to make broad-stroke assumptions and enlist knee-jerk reactions to isolated bouts of violence... that doesn't automatically mean they are complicit in the violence that is occurring. That you have to construct that false dichotomy should highlight to you how weak of a position you are really taking. What I don't want to see is innocent people blamed for the actions of a few bad apples. Look how quickly people overreacted and lashed out at me in this thread when I prodded them about merely being cognisant of their own checkered history. They don't want to be stereotyped as Nazi's (and rightfully so) but they have no problem stereotyping all Arabs and Muslims as violent rapists. One can certainly argue that there are large parts of Islam that do not agree with a modern society, but every major religion has those same "beliefs" that they are embarrassed by and sweep under a rug. Pretending that one is worse than the other is just drawing another line in the sand that doesn't really need to exist.

I have never taken issue with anyone someone for simply "being conservative" but I also very rarely find one that can articulate their points in a logical and academically sound manner. It's nice when it happens because then real conversation can happen, not just name-calling and pretending to be better than each other.

I will take issue with anyone that uses unethical and illogical reasons to justify their actions and beliefs. You seem surprised that people actually identify conservatives by their xenophobic (not actually a "bad word") and socially anti-progressive beliefs. These are the main tenants of right-wing conservatism so I don't know how else you would identify yourself as such without them.

These beliefs are NOT inherently bigoted or racist though, and they don't have to be. Unfortunately they very quickly and easily become bigoted and racist when poor justifications are used that stereotype and blame entire groups of people. Especially when people are either not careful with their words or (in the case of this thread) just blatantly ignorant of the things they are saying and the way that they sound to other people.

The people most concerned with "preserving their culture" are also the people most apt to draw a dividing line and come up with a way to justify it. Vilifying those that are different "for being different" is exactly how conservatism works lately in the political realm. I really don't understand why you are so surprised that if you hang out with a naturally racist/bigoted group of people and share their beliefs that you might occasionally both get blamed for and actually (accidentally?) sound like you might be one too.

64. Re: DOOM Uncut for Germany Feb 29, 2016, 11:51 Quinn

You speak as if talking to an extreme right person. I don't believe in all the examples you bring up, like the banning of ethnic groups.

But you prove a point: moderately right ppl like myself cannot talk about these things without having to constantly assure that they aren't racists or stand behind the extreme examples you just brought up.

Why I somehow am right-winged is because I scoff at the fact that when a refugee attacks a gay refugee in the refugee center, they don't send the offender away with a mark of their boot up his ass, but they instead build another building for the gay refugees to reside in. It's over-tolerant, pussy shite like this what pisses me off. You can be muslim, christian, black, white, I don't give a shit -- just don't be a cunt and adept to our fucking norm or simply fuck off or die for all I care.

We have gone through hell and back for centuries to finally get what it means to be human. It sickens me when a government allows this society to be defiled once again, by showing an irrational form of tolerance to people who make the lifes of others miserable.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

63. Re: DOOM Uncut for Germany Feb 29, 2016, 10:22 descender

This shouldn't really be about a hatred of radical zealots (or this book author). It's about an irrational attempt to "ban" zealots from your country.

Your attempts to paint "leftists" as accepting of these crazy people is just flat out wrong. No one wants these people in their country or near any sort of civilized society. The problem with the argument here stems from the way conservatives seem to think they can deal with these problems, by shuttering borders and banning certain groups of people from your country.

You just can't "ban all muslims" from a country, you have to have a better plan than that. It's physically impossible to identify people as "Muslims" at a border and turn them away. So, what's your plan for that? Ban people by race or... what? It's a completely ridiculous notion from the outset and doesn't attack the root of the problem anyway. You have to attack the bad ideas of a religion through education, not by shuttering out anyone even remotely associated with it attempting to flee that backwards society.

Lately, the conservatives are cowering in fear of an enemy that isn't actually coming, yet leftists are being painted as the cowards. Conservatives by nature are fearful people, they literally fear change and lash out aggressively against it as is clearly displayed repeatedly throughout this entire thread (and many others).

This comment was edited on Feb 29, 2016, 10:28.

62. Re: DOOM Uncut for Germany Feb 29, 2016, 04:36 Quinn

Nin must be very proud right now, the way he managed to derail the topic that derailed the Doom topic. He was trying nothing else the entire thread (scroll down) and he finally managed to do so with the strawman he pulled when bigspender made a good point about Maajid.

Maajid is against Islamist extremists, and because he was a muslim and even a member of a radical extremist group, he knows what he's talking about and thus his words should hold extra weight. Still, like every other person who tries to make a stand against zealots and the horrid shit in their holy book they live and die by, he has to spend a fuckton of energy all the fucking time debunking claims made against him for being a racist. If you know about Maajid, you'd know it's fucking ridiculous to call him a racist. His heritage is beside the point but it does make those claims even more ridiculous.

The original point that was derailed by friendly neighborhood nin was that people who are even a little bit right-winged have to deal with claims of them being rwcist by people from the left basically by fucking default. Right winged people are concerned, and left winged people think they should just shut the fuck up, do nothing, and believe in the power of love. I can understand this if you're an American -- because most republicans are fucking morons who stand in the way of the pursuit of happiness -- but it's different in Europe. Lately, the right-winged people are the concerned realists. The lefties are the hippies, with their head up their ass and with no clue wtf is going on.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

61. Re: DOOM Uncut for Germany Feb 28, 2016, 18:59 bigspender

nin wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 18:44:
bigspender wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 18:27:
nin wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 18:25:
bigspender wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 18:20:
nin wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 18:16:
bigspender wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 18:14:
nin wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 17:55:
bigspender wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 17:53:
nin wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 17:39:
For some reason the regressive leftists call Maajid Nawaz a racist and bigoted too, even though he is both Pakistani and a Muslim.

Having a certain skin color or following a certain religion does not magically allow you not to be a racist. You know that, right? That anyone can be a racist, if they choose to?

read the book then come back when you know what you're talking about.

I don't need to read a book to know that what I said is true. Anyone can choose to be a racist, their skin color or religion does not earn them a free pass.

You do need the book. Because the guy is clearly not racist

I didn't say he was or wasn't. Read above. I'm laughing at your logic that if someone is "Pakistani and a Muslim" it's impossible for them to be racist.

So african americans that say the N word are being racist now?

I never said that, either. Your original quote showed ignorance, and I pointed out your ignorance. (I will probably continue to point out your ignorance.)

I know what your saying but I don't understand how it's possible to be racist when you are one of the races that you're supposedly discriminating against?

I know you don't have to be white to be racist, it can be any race discriminating against another. But people are specifically accusing Maajid of being racist against races from the middle east, even though he is one of the races from that area. That's why I was asking you to read the book, because you're not aware of the context of the conversation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internalized_racism

Well if Maajid ever starts playing with dolls then I don't think racism will be his main concern.

That article seems to be more about oppressing yourself through negative body image rather that actively discriminating against other people of your own race. I mean they give one example, but it's a fictional character.

60. Re: DOOM Uncut for Germany Feb 28, 2016, 18:44 nin

bigspender wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 18:27:
For some reason the regressive leftists call Maajid Nawaz a racist and bigoted too, even though he is both Pakistani and a Muslim.

Having a certain skin color or following a certain religion does not magically allow you not to be a racist. You know that, right? That anyone can be a racist, if they choose to?

I don't need to read a book to know that what I said is true. Anyone can choose to be a racist, their skin color or religion does not earn them a free pass.

I didn't say he was or wasn't. Read above. I'm laughing at your logic that if someone is "Pakistani and a Muslim" it's impossible for them to be racist.

I never said that, either. Your original quote showed ignorance, and I pointed out your ignorance. (I will probably continue to point out your ignorance.)

I know what your saying but I don't understand how it's possible to be racist when you are one of the races that you're supposedly discriminating against?

I know you don't have to be white to be racist, it can be any race discriminating against another. But people are specifically accusing Maajid of being racist against races from the middle east, even though he is one of the races from that area. That's why I was asking you to read the book, because you're not aware of the context of the conversation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internalized_racism

59. Re: DOOM Uncut for Germany Feb 28, 2016, 18:27 bigspender

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2016, 18:41.

58. Re: DOOM Uncut for Germany Feb 28, 2016, 18:25 nin

57. Re: DOOM Uncut for Germany Feb 28, 2016, 18:20 bigspender

56. Re: DOOM Uncut for Germany Feb 28, 2016, 18:16 nin

55. Re: DOOM Uncut for Germany Feb 28, 2016, 18:15 bigspender

Quinn wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 18:06:
To achieve happiness, to not infringe upon somebody else's happiness, to help others achieve happiness. That's the purpose of life. If you find it hard to say this culture is better than another (because *define* better, right?!) then just think about that purpose for a second and ask yourself: What society helps us achieve that purpose in the best way? It's the western society. The respect for women, homosexuals, etc. Our society is the most evolved.

Some extreme lefties have a hard time acknowedging that fact, and when an immigrant starts raping a western woman because "she dresses like a whore" or smears a gay person's bed with their own shit because... well, they are gay... Left wing over-tolerant ignorants can somehow be against a right wing opinion that those oppressors of happiness should be punished and kicked out of our countries. It fucking sickens me.

Extreme right, is wrong. Extreme left, that's also wrong. In this day and age, the passiveness of the left is even more dangerous, I think.

Sure, we should help true refugees of war, but if anyone doesn't adapt to our standards.. they can simply piss the fuck off. Our country never needed you, and we're doing you a big fucking favor, so you either live by our rules or piss off. I'd like to see a bit more of an iron fist or this refugee crap will run out of hand even more than it already has, and very, very quickly.

+1 That sums it up very well.

BTW get ready, because someone's going to call you a racist and bigot now.

54. Re: DOOM Uncut for Germany Feb 28, 2016, 18:14 bigspender

53. Re: DOOM Uncut for Germany Feb 28, 2016, 18:06 Quinn

To achieve happiness, to not infringe upon somebody else's happiness, to help others achieve happiness. That's the purpose of life. If you find it hard to say this culture is better than another (because *define* better, right?!) then just think about that purpose for a second and ask yourself: What society helps us achieve that purpose in the best way? It's the western society. The respect for women, homosexuals, etc. Our society is the most evolved.

Some extreme lefties have a hard time acknowedging that fact, and when an immigrant starts raping a western woman because "she dresses like a whore" or smears a gay person's bed with their own shit because... well, they are gay... Left wing over-tolerant ignorants can somehow be against a right wing opinion that those oppressors of happiness should be punished and kicked out of our countries. It fucking sickens me.

Extreme right, is wrong. Extreme left, that's also wrong. In this day and age, the passiveness of the left is even more dangerous, I think.

Sure, we should help true refugees of war, but if anyone doesn't adapt to our standards.. they can simply piss the fuck off. Our country never needed you, and we're doing you a big fucking favor, so you either live by our rules or piss off. I'd like to see a bit more of an iron fist or this refugee crap will run out of hand even more than it already has, and very, very quickly.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

52. Re: DOOM Uncut for Germany Feb 28, 2016, 17:55 nin

51. Re: DOOM Uncut for Germany Feb 28, 2016, 17:53 bigspender

read the book then come back when you know what you're talking about. The fact is, he is not racist, but people just yell that to dismiss some very logical ideas, which would help the refugees, the people shouting racist, as well as any actual racists.

50. Re: DOOM Uncut for Germany Feb 28, 2016, 17:39 nin

49. Re: DOOM Uncut for Germany Feb 28, 2016, 17:24 bigspender

descender wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 11:33:
And you're actually the racist one, because the criminals are not all the same race, and I've never said they are.

So the hair you've decided to split here is whether you are being a racist or a bigot? You just... don't get it. I suppose this is the part where you tell us how you can magically "detect" the difference between Muslims and Arabs at your border and only let the "good ones" in.

I could pick out a few rules from the bible (or really just pick a religion) that you would have the same problems with but I don't hear you calling for anyone but Muslims to be banned from your country.

Every religion has stupid old hokey rules that are barbaric and barely anyone follows. The people that DO follow them are generally not the ones attempting to leave that society to find a better life.

That's a really simplistic view on a complicated issue. I suggest you might want to read the recent book by Maajid Nawaz and Sam Harris to educate yourself. For some reason the regressive leftists call Maajid Nawaz a racist and bigot too, even though he is both Pakistani and a Muslim.

EDIT: Again YOU are the one saying they are Arab and/or Muslim. Not me, I haven't even mentioned religion. You automatically associated all of the things I listed below to a race and religion. Not me.
And again you're saying that people of certain religions, race and nationality should get a free pass when it comes to basic human decency, which means your assuming that they are capable of less, and that's racist/bigoted.

Just for record, I would 100% support a system that swaps good & decent refugees and immigrants for local criminals and scum of any race, religion, and nationality even if they are christian, white and are 20th generation europeans. If they behave a certain way, they don't belong in modern society. Can you imagine how nice society would be? Of course people will now cry that it's inhuman to deport someone that is a citizen, human rights blah blah.The way I see it, if someone is chooses to violate your human rights, you can only assume they have given you permission to give up theirs. It's certainly better than a death sentence which already happens.
Then you get the people that say "who are you to judge, your not god blah blah"(of course an expert panel would be appointed for such a thing, a similar panel that judges who or who should not be executed).

Also, I'm not religious, but I am middle eastern, and my wife is asian.....

I'm going to spot replying, not because I think the argument is settled either way. But because I think we'll be going in circles, and the book I suggested will answer all of it for you in a much better way than I can.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2016, 17:52.

48. Re: DOOM Uncut for Germany Feb 28, 2016, 11:33 descender

And you're actually the racist one, because the criminals are not all the same race, and I've never said they are.

So the hair you've decided to split here is whether you are being a racist or a bigot? You just... don't get it. I suppose this is the part where you tell us how you can magically "detect" the difference between Muslims and Arabs at your border and only let the "good ones" in.

I could pick out a few rules from the bible (or really just pick a religion) that you would have the same problems with but I don't hear you calling for anyone but Muslims to be banned from your country.

Every religion has stupid old hokey rules that are barbaric and barely anyone follows. The people that DO follow them are generally not the ones attempting to leave that society to find a better life.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2016, 15:33.

47. Re: DOOM Uncut for Germany Feb 28, 2016, 03:37 bigspender

descender wrote on Feb 27, 2016, 11:53:
The only thing I'm judging people by is their actions and ideas, and it's not my fault that most of the rapists and criminals are form the same location.

Unfortunately you are NOT (edit: woops) the one that gets to decide if you are being racist or not. You don't get to decide when you do or do not offend other people. You might not be trying to be, but...

Stereotyping an entire race of people because of a few extreme actors? I would think that Germans (of all people) might be a little bit more sensitive to that considering their own checkered history of rape and violence.

66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo