Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3

Otherside Entertainment announces that famed designer Warren Spector will soon be joining their company, saying that: "Efforts on System Shock 3 will accelerate this year under Warren’s direction, while OtherSide continues working on Underworld Ascendant, the successor to the Ultima Underworld series." This reunites Warren with Paul Neurath, as both were part of the glory days of Looking Glass Studios. "I’m delighted to have Warren stepping up into a director role at OtherSide and helping lead the charge with our innovative approach to gaming," says Paul. "I can think of no one better suited to take on this creative challenge. Warren has changed the industry before and will do so again." Word is he will break on through to the other side following the conclusion of his current teaching duties:
OtherSide Entertainment is thrilled to announce that Warren Spector, one of the leading creative minds in the game industry, will soon be joining the company.

Warren has been a producer, designer, and director behind some of the industry’s most beloved games, including System Shock, Deus Ex, and the Ultima series. He led Junction Point Studios in creating the best-selling Disney Epic Mickey and recently oversaw the Denuis-Sam Gaming Academy post-baccalaureate program at UT Austin.

Warren has acted as a Creative Advisor to OtherSide since the studio’s inception. Following the end of this semester’s classes at UT Austin, he will transition into a full-time position as one of OtherSide’s Studio Directors. Warren will continue to help in a creative capacity on Underworld Ascendant and, later this year, ramp up and lead the team developing System Shock 3.

Warren has a long history working with members of the OtherSide team, having collaborated with founder Paul Neurath on the original Ultima Underworld games, Thief: The Dark Project, and System Shock.
View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. SS Feb 21, 2016, 22:09 Ant

SS1's controls sucked to play. SS2's controls were good to make the game fun!  

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 18, 2016, 13:56 Acleacius

I've seen it mentioned a couple of times, including this thread "the original ending for SS2 was lost". Wouldn't they have had time to put the correct ending in after all these years, either through patch or mod? I've seen so many mods where new cutscenes have been added, it's not like it would be more difficult than any other game, well afaik. Also, if true, what was the original ending?  

People can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

40. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 18, 2016, 09:53 Wesp5

Qbex . wrote on Feb 18, 2016, 05:12:
At the time SS came out there was nothing like it, it was grandfater of immersive fps/rpg hybrids in the era of flipping Doom clones. For me it was start of a new era of games. SS2 was great but nowhere near as groundbreaking.

For me this was Strife, a FPS/RPG hybrid on the Doom engine! I don't know which one was first ;)...

39. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 18, 2016, 07:45 Bub

I think System Shock 1 was far superior to SS2. SS2 just seemed to go downhill from the start. The farther into the game the more monotonous and dreary it got, with the protagonists morphing from detailed models to shapeless globs and sparkles. I hope they produce something with the depth and detail of SS1 and not the belabored SS2.  

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================

38. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 18, 2016, 06:12 1badmf

yeah SS1 was super advanced shit for its day. it was experimental as fuck, and a lot of it didn't really work, but i loved it for trying. i only played the demo though, as it required a pentium90 and i only had a 486dx2 66mhz. still, through the 5fps fog my early teen self loved the shit out of its scifi-ness, its bleak cyberpunkness, even its weird controls.

after that they streamlined the shit out of SS2 and even though it was probably a more functional game, i was severely disappointed in its conventionality.

37. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 18, 2016, 05:12 Qbex .

Good news, even if only for pr reasons. Otherside guys need more exposure and more backers so I can get better Underworld:A and SS3
As for all those who dis first SS - I just can't take them seriously. At the time SS came out there was nothing like it, it was grandfater of immersive fps/rpg hybrids in the era of flipping Doom clones. For me it was start of a new era of games. SS2 was great but nowhere near as groundbreaking.

36. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 18, 2016, 02:00 Nucas

DangerDog wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 16:21:
There are mods that turn off the weapons breaking and the infinite enemy spawns for SS2, makes it much more enjoyable.

The real ending to SS2 was lost I believe to a hard drive crash and the one they ended up putting in the game was a last minute hack.

i remember that, but ken levine claims someone made the wrong ending cinematic requiring rewrites. which doesn't make any real sense since it was just animated and rendered in engine.

it's actually funny reading his claims about this very different game they had planned when considering bioshock. he had a chance to make a whole new game and then didn't just make a game like system shock 2, he made a game that was system shock 2. the same isolated environment, the same characters, the same story beats and exact same villain reveal, the same mediocre gunplay and psi powers-- i mean, plasmids, the hacking, etc etc. just dumbed down a notch for console tards and more plot beats pushed into the background with audio logs.

35. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 18, 2016, 01:43 1badmf

if looking glass are low key trying to get the band back together i'm all for it! sequel to terra nova plz!  

34. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 18, 2016, 01:16 Steele Johnson

Great news!  

33. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 17, 2016, 22:37 Creston

Cutter wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 19:34:
"Now, now, let's not bicker and argue about 'oo killed 'oo. This is supposed to be a happy occasion!"

You can't really blame Warren for that. He had to play the PR game. It's not like he could have come right out and said, 'Look, MS drove a dumptruck full of money to the office so the game has to work for the Xbox.'

Hehehe. So true. I loved all the Iraqi Spokesman memes that got blasted all over their forums at the time "Deus Ex has not been dumbed down!"

32. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 17, 2016, 22:09 Fantaz

this is some of the most exciting news i've read on Blue's News for at least the last couple of years, with System Shock 3 being made and now even Warren Spector coming on board  

31. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 17, 2016, 21:56 AirWreck

All these names remind me of this interview series (I think someone here on blues made me aware of it): http://gambit.mit.edu/updates/audio/looking_glass_studios_podcast/ Pretty interesting.  

30. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 17, 2016, 21:39 Squirmer

In fairness, Doug Church has done even less game development (published anyway) than Spector in the past 15 years. People who have worked with him say he's a genius, but it's a bit hard to judge his ability nowadays. Especially since he's pretty reclusive.  

29. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 17, 2016, 19:46 wtf_man

Umbral wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 18:02:
Humm, I'd rather see Doug Church jump on board. Warren was probably getting bored with the retirement village, hope he can keep up!

This. 1000x This.

Warren has been washed up since Deus Ex: Invisible War

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

28. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 17, 2016, 19:34 Cutter

"Now, now, let's not bicker and argue about 'oo killed 'oo. This is supposed to be a happy occasion!"

You can't really blame Warren for that. He had to play the PR game. It's not like he could have come right out and said, 'Look, MS drove a dumptruck full of money to the office so the game has to work for the Xbox.'

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
- Winston Churchill

27. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 17, 2016, 18:02 Umbral

Humm, I'd rather see Doug Church jump on board. Warren was probably getting bored with the retirement village, hope he can keep up!

26. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 17, 2016, 17:49 Squirmer

SlimRam wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 17:04:
Squirmer wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 16:59:
SlimRam wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 16:48:
Wait... didn't Warren design Deus Ex: Invisible War DOH!
No.
Yes.
No.

He was the studio director (a separate job, given Ion Storm was working on two games at once at this time). Harvey Smith was the project director, Ricardo Bare the lead designer (both of whom went on to make Dishonored). Spector was very deliberately hands-off during IW's development, and I remember him saying some of the team's decisions made him very nervous.

Harvey Smith freely admits the team fucked up that project btw.

25. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 17, 2016, 17:28 Creston

Squirmer wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 16:19:
It was "one city block", and he said it would be interesting, not the best thing ever.

It doesn't really matter, but I'm pretty sure he said it the way I did, but he did so on the Ion Storm forum once when people were (rightfully) complaining about the prospect of the maps for Ex Deus:IW being tiny and shitty because they had to fit in the shitty 64MB of memory of the shitty Xbox. He was basically going "Oh, the size of the map doesn't matter!"

Except it really kind of did, since most of Ex Deus:IW's maps were... shitty.

He might have changed the saying later.

But I give more credit to Harvey Smith for the "immersive simness" of Deus Ex, so who knows what Spector will do with this game.

Those are fighting words around here... Harvey Smith. Aka Mr "Unified Ammo."

(Though I'll give him credit for Dishonored, as Dishonored is pretty awesome.)

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 2016, 17:34.

24. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 17, 2016, 17:04 SlimRam

Squirmer wrote on Feb 17, 2016, 16:59:
No.
Yes.

23. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 17, 2016, 16:59 Squirmer

No.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >