Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

This morning I am appreciating the groundhog's prediction a lot more than I did when he made it. I joked at the time that the weather here has been too mild all winter to worry about an early spring, and now there are several inches of snow on the ground mocking me for my arrogance. Mock, you ask? You don't think snow mocks? I assure you he does... He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him!

R.I.P.: Earth, Wind & Fire soul band founder Maurice White dies.
R.I.P.: BMX legend Dave Mirra dies, aged just 41.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Royal Warfare 2.
Tomb Runner.
Links: Puppy Bowl Details.
Lego Pop-Up House construction.
Stories: The Coen Brothers Finally Address That One 'Big Lebowski' Theory.
Inside Peyton Manning’s secret investigation into Al Jazeera documentary.
Missing cat found in Nottinghamshire pet food warehouse.
Science: NASA is quietly planning for a disastrous asteroid strike. Thanks HARDOCP.
Scientists have discovered what causes Resting Bitch Face. I think I suffer.
Space experts warn Congress that NASA’s “Journey to Mars” is illusory.
Media: PAWA MD-80 St Maarten Landing Approach. Wow.
When Garbage Trucks Explode. That'll buff out.
Follow-up: A-10 to fly until 2022 as DOD test chief warns against F-35 “block buy.”

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Fish Bowl! Feb 7, 2016, 16:39 Ant

You forgot Fish Bowl, Blue. I'm waiting for Ant Bowl!  

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2016, 13:36 Mr. Tact

descender wrote on Feb 6, 2016, 11:10:
...the sequester budget slashing nonsense.
The best legislation the congress passed in probably two decades. Of course it was reversed...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2016, 12:56 jdreyer

descender wrote on Feb 6, 2016, 11:10:
This announcement has practically nothing to do with the F35. The A-10 schedule was only pushed to be phased out early during the sequester budget slashing nonsense. Now that is over and they aren't pushing to end the run of the plane early anymore.

The A-10 will be replaced by the F-35 and practically nothing will change that, it's just a matter of when they finally let it happen and the roll out will be slooow. All of the A-10's aren't going to suddenly disappear from our military one Tuesday in May... but they most certainly won't be all phased out by 2022 or even 2024. Eventually they may even stop trying to use the F-35 like they used an A-10 and maybe then we will finally know what it is and isn't capable of :p

Send in the drones before the ground troops get there and you won't need this type of air support in the first place. Manned aircraft are an endangered species.

At some point, drones might be able to replace actual people in the CAS role. But right now, the camera resolution is too poor. It's much more effective and efficient to have some pilot low and slow over the battlefield responding to FAC requests in real time. Most of the time the military has been involved on foreign soil has not been spent fighting on drawn battle lines, but doing co-in work. Ambushes can appear out of nowhere in "friendly" territory, and any CAS must be swift and precise. Until drones can stream multiple 4K or 8K streams reliably, you'll still need an actual pilot. Also, there's the whole problem of finding people to pilot the drones. No one wants to do it.

Personally, I'd like to see us go back to a prop plane for CAS. There's almost no IR signature, since exhaust can be cooled and vented incrementally through the top of the fuselage. Loiter time is longer than jets by a few factors. Speed is about the same. Production and maintenance costs are much lower, etc. Also, I'd like to see a two-person CAS aircraft, with a pilot and a weapons officer. Lastly, such an aircraft would make a great sim.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2016, 11:10 descender

This announcement has practically nothing to do with the F35. The A-10 schedule was only pushed to be phased out early during the sequester budget slashing nonsense. Now that is over and they aren't pushing to end the run of the plane early anymore.

The A-10 will be replaced by the F-35 and practically nothing will change that, it's just a matter of when they finally let it happen and the roll out will be slooow. All of the A-10's aren't going to suddenly disappear from our military one Tuesday in May... but they most certainly won't be all phased out by 2022 or even 2024. Eventually they may even stop trying to use the F-35 like they used an A-10 and maybe then we will finally know what it is and isn't capable of :p

Send in the drones before the ground troops get there and you won't need this type of air support in the first place. Manned aircraft are an endangered species.

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2016, 11:17.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2016, 02:38 Fantaz

R.I.P. Dave Mirra

i remember playing some of those Dave Mirra games and BMX XXX back in the day

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2016, 22:54 jdreyer

A-10 to fly until 2022 as DOD test chief warns against F-35 “block buy.”

Replacing the A-10 with the F-35 is just stupid. The F-35 is simply not designed for that role.

1. In a fluid situation, a pilot low and slow in an A-10 can look out the window, assess the situation, and put lead on target where a jet at altitude or controlling a drone would risk friendly casualties.

2. When an A-10 comes on station, a FAC can orient him where and how to fire on enemies without endangering friendlies in a couple of minutes. It takes about 10m to do this with a fast mover like an F-35, and 20m with a drone. Saving minutes mean saving lives.

3. The F-35 costs about 3x the cost of the A-10 in current dollars. So you get a lot fewer available planes for the same $$$.

4. Is the F-35 designed to take hits and keep flying? Nope, but the A-10 is.

5. Thirsty F-35s can loiter about 20m before having to return to base. The A-10 can loiter more than 90m with it's fuel conserving high-bypass engines. That can make a huge difference in an extended firefight.

Luckily, there's a former A-10 pilot in congress and she's pushing to get a dedicated CAS replacement for the legendary plane so beloved by our ground troops, and feared by our enemies.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2016, 22:17 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 18:19:
Nah, it's something about the Northeast, at least parts of it. When I moved to Calgary at 18 I was absolutely flabbergasted at how social and friendly everyone was. People just shoot the shit with you for no reason on the street. I remember my first time in a pub and some guy invites me over to his place for a party the next day. My eastern suspicion kicks in and I ask why, he replies, 'You seem like a cool dude. Like chicks? Like beer? Then it's the place to be.' So, still mistrustful I went the next day and everything was as advertised. Met a chick I hooked up with for a while and some good people who I became friends with.

I think most major cities in the northeast are like that. You just don't randomly go around talking to strangers, much less smiling at them - I think most people would think you're a psychopath or something. It's all very much about neighborhoods and who you grow up with. And the only seeming acceptable way to meet other people is on neutral ground through acquaintances. There isn't much fraternization regardless though. There's always a lurking distrust of those not in your tribe. Enh, maybe it's something in the water.

It's true. Was living in CT at the time, and walking in the mall just minding my own business when a stunner walked by. I turned around to check her out, and she did the same to me. Pulled a U-turn, started chatting, and it turned out she was from eastern CO, and that's just how they do out there. She was in CT over the summer doing a nanny job. Got her number and chilled out with her for a month until she had to go back.

19. Re: RBF Feb 5, 2016, 20:59 Retired

Ratty wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 11:38:
I can't believe I've never heard of this. I have it big time.

Have been told "You are not approachable" I guess I have it.....

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2016, 19:14 SlimRam

See you one day in that Boogie Wonderland in the sky, Maurice!  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2016, 18:32 The Half Elf

I don't mind strangers coming up and talking to me. I especially enjoy the ones that twitch a bitch, are a bit louder, and slightly crazy.
Never had a boring conversation!

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

Currently playing: Red Dead Redemtion 2/Online, Fallout 76, Elder Scrolls Online, and about 200 other games I've never fin

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2016, 18:19 Cutter

Nah, it's something about the Northeast, at least parts of it. When I moved to Calgary at 18 I was absolutely flabbergasted at how social and friendly everyone was. People just shoot the shit with you for no reason on the street. I remember my first time in a pub and some guy invites me over to his place for a party the next day. My eastern suspicion kicks in and I ask why, he replies, 'You seem like a cool dude. Like chicks? Like beer? Then it's the place to be.' So, still mistrustful I went the next day and everything was as advertised. Met a chick I hooked up with for a while and some good people who I became friends with.

I think most major cities in the northeast are like that. You just don't randomly go around talking to strangers, much less smiling at them - I think most people would think you're a psychopath or something. It's all very much about neighborhoods and who you grow up with. And the only seeming acceptable way to meet other people is on neutral ground through acquaintances. There isn't much fraternization regardless though. There's always a lurking distrust of those not in your tribe. Enh, maybe it's something in the water.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

15. Re: RBF Feb 5, 2016, 17:26 Acleacius

Ratty wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 14:39:
Blue wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 11:42:

I had the same reaction. MrsBlue is always getting on me for intimidating people with some sort of glare that I have no intention of giving off. My resting face apparently gives off a very strong "don't fuck with me" vibe.
It's like one of those articles you read about people with strange diseases and the relief they feel when after years it's finally diagnosed. They're relieved there's a name for it and they're not the only ones. This is timely for me as I've recently been trying to adopt a friendlier, more open expression but it's hard for me to pull off without looking like a dork. I've seen people taken aback when they come up to talk to me and my expression changes so dramatically. They're like Oh, I guess he doesn't despise the world after all.
I defiantly had one of those experiences recently. Except my lifetime missing puzzle piece was finding out my mother's a schizophrenic, bleh. Puke

Yet, I'm the opposite, almost always smiling at people. I'm not sure a person who is genuinely smiling ever looks like a dork. I've heard people in NYC, never smile and are suspicious of people who smile. Being from Texas and never to NY, it could just be propaganda against NYC. Wink

Think we all get propagandized from movies, where tough guys never smile. However if you check those real life stars, they defiantly smile. I grew up admiring James Bond and Hans Solo/Indy Jones, both Sean Connery and Harrison Ford, smile in real life.

I wouldn't get discouraged, there's probably 50% of the people you meet it won't matter. Since about 25% of the population has serious mental issues and another 25% are too overwhelmed to even notice.

One thing to remember, not only will real smiles make others feel good but it makes you feel better, within yourself. There's sort of a stress release, when using your face muscles. Tickling

people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2016, 16:48 PHJF

That's really shitty news about Mirra. The guy was the Tony Hawk of BMX (and not just because of the knockoff video game). He and Ryan Nyquist were always amazing to watch.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2016, 14:49 Mr. Tact

nin wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 14:48:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 14:44:
Hmmm, I might suffer from RBF. I definitely do not smile much. I think I'll forward this to some friends and see if I qualify..

In my case, I'm afraid to ask.
Nah, even if I qualify I'll be amused by it. "I am what I am."

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2016, 14:48 nin

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 14:44:
Hmmm, I might suffer from RBF. I definitely do not smile much. I think I'll forward this to some friends and see if I qualify..

In my case, I'm afraid to ask.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2016, 14:44 Mr. Tact

10. Re: RBF Feb 5, 2016, 14:39 Ratty

Blue wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 11:42:

I had the same reaction. MrsBlue is always getting on me for intimidating people with some sort of glare that I have no intention of giving off. My resting face apparently gives off a very strong "don't fuck with me" vibe.
It's like one of those articles you read about people with strange diseases and the relief they feel when after years it's finally diagnosed. They're relieved there's a name for it and they're not the only ones. This is timely for me as I've recently been trying to adopt a friendlier, more open expression but it's hard for me to pull off without looking like a dork. I've seen people taken aback when they come up to talk to me and my expression changes so dramatically. They're like Oh, I guess he doesn't despise the world after all.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2016, 14:25 Capella

I guess that is one way to melt some snow!  

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

8. Re: RBF Feb 5, 2016, 13:41 Ratty

Acleacius wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 11:40:
We call it the Ratty Face! Giggle
Tempted to make it my avatar for a few days.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2016, 12:10 Cutter

I don't have RBF but I tend to scowl a lot as there's no shortage of stupid selfish people out there to scowl at. If I reincarnate, it'll be as an owl. A scowl owl.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo