Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups

EA announces plans for closed beta testing of Mirror's Edge Catalyst between now and the May 24th release of the upcoming parkour action sequel, offering a new story trailer to celebrate the news. The beta will be on Windows and consoles, and they say we can expect more details soon. In the meantime those interested in participating should sign up here, and they offer the following tease:
We’ve been dying to show you more from Mirror’s Edge™ Catalyst - and now’s the time. Discover Faith’s amazing journey with this new trailer - from carefree thrill-seeker to true heroine. You’ll also get a taste of what you’ll experience as a Runner: unique free running and combat in the stunning yet perilous city of Glass.

This is just the beginning. In the upcoming months, you’ll learn more about Faith’s story, the world around her, and the amazing gameplay of Mirror’s Edge Catalyst.

View : : :
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups
Feb 8, 2016, 20:06
Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 8, 2016, 20:06
Feb 8, 2016, 20:06

Slick manifested his computer out of thin air and definitely did not purchase it from a retailer that took any cut of it's sale price.

What a fucking buffoon.

Feb 8, 2016, 19:29
Slick

Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 8, 2016, 19:29
Feb 8, 2016, 19:29
 Slick

descender wrote on Feb 8, 2016, 04:49:
How are you defending a company who doesn't give a penny of their billions of revenue to actually fund the games they sell?

Just stop man. Do you have a clue what a retail store is or does? They don't participate in the products creation or development, they sell it and take a cut. Get your naive head out of your naive ass.

it's not a store, it's a cult. When people start telling me that walmart is the only store that's allowed to exist, we have a pretty big fucking problem. I'm the one who's called steam "just a store" many times in the past, but that always gets jumped on by people saying how it's so much more, how it's a community, etc. etc. that you can't call it "just a store".

The point is why would you want to buy something for the same price when you know that %30 of your money is going to do to a company that did NOTHING to develop/build/fund the game????? In fact you're giving it to a GAMING company, who's the largest GAMING company in the PC market, that doesn't make/fund GAMES? You don't see a problem? care to answer that? Tell me the defense for this ridiculous argument, and I'll eat my hat. and "convenience" isn't a valid option, because 1) it's just double-clicking a different icon, and 2) no other industry in the history of our species works like this. No one's ever said: "why are there all these restaurants? I just want all of the food under one mega-corporation name, called FOOD CORP, it's more convenient." You vote with your dollars, if you're so in love with corporate monopoly to give %30 of your money to people who don't build games over the studio that actually made/funded the FUCKING GAME YOU'RE CURRENTLY BUYING, then you're a piece of shit.

Steam is nothing more than a digital pimp. They do nothing but profit off of other people's hard work. If you're going to pay for a blowjob, wouldn't you rather the girl gets the $50? instead of VOLUNTEERING to pay her shady ass pimp %30 for basically intimidating everyone that they're indispensable? Steam FOUGHT for the right to self-publish their own games, and now you cunts bitch about any other company who wants the same fucking right. It's disgusting. Steam has become the global megacorp they were fighting against. And no one sees the irony.

Not to mention with other services, they actually have a support department. For the oldest, and the biggest service to have a 2 week turnaround time to send off boilerplate emails, and lock your entire account incase of a chargeback on a defective product is fucking bullllshiiittttttt. But you'd rather give them 30 fucking percent for this "privilege".

Fuck off.
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Feb 8, 2016, 04:49
Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 8, 2016, 04:49
Feb 8, 2016, 04:49

How are you defending a company who doesn't give a penny of their billions of revenue to actually fund the games they sell?

Just stop man. Do you have a clue what a retail store is or does? They don't participate in the products creation or development, they sell it and take a cut. Get your naive head out of your naive ass.

Feb 7, 2016, 20:04
Slick

Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 7, 2016, 20:04
Feb 7, 2016, 20:04
 Slick

descender wrote on Feb 6, 2016, 10:29:
Stamping those CD's wasn't free and that distribution network was a majority of what publishers were "funding".

Jerykk wrote on Feb 7, 2016, 06:09:
For digital distribution, 30% is standard. Really baffled as to why you think that Valve is somehow a publisher for the thousands of games available on Steam.

So stamping CDs and distributing is a big part of what a publisher does. But when a company does the exact same thing digitally, they're not publishing?

How are you defending a company who doesn't give a penny of their billions of revenue to actually fund the games they sell? They don't even make games themselves for fucks sake! You don't think it's strange that the biggest company in PC gaming doesn't MAKE GAMES, or even give a red cent to fun other devs MAKE GAMES? You think that that's just normal? They're a company without a product. They're venture capitalists. Sure, if you're a small studio, it's worth it to give %30 of GROSS to them, but if you're Ubisoft or EA, what the fuck are you thinking that they should hand over a HUGE chunk of the profits to their fucking COMPETITION? because you're too lazy to click on a different icon on your computer?

And I really have no clue why you'd think that hardware manufacturers all jumped the gun, when Valve had "nothing to do with it". You honestly think that Valve wasn't shopping this around the tech sector, getting partners, telling them to make them some machines to sell?

No, it's much more likely that Alienware just decided on their own to start making THESE without Valve giving them the "greenlight". I'm sure Valve was like: "Hey these are all going to be outdated hardware by the time our shit is ready, you know that right?" and Alienware was like: "DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

You're living in a fantasy fanboi delirium.
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Feb 7, 2016, 06:09
Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 7, 2016, 06:09
Feb 7, 2016, 06:09

Alright, Valve's steamworks stuff isn't nothing. It's a pretty polished post-launch framework for keeping people connected. BUT. This is NOT equal to fucking bankrolling development. That's traditionally the role of the publisher. But In Valve land, they don't even look at a studio till they have a complete finished product that's ready to sell (well, ready to sell at least), and they have nothing to do with them until then.

I'm not really understanding your point here. Valve isn't publishing games. They're selling games, like any other store. The 30% cut that Valve takes still gives publishers/developers a larger cut than they'd get from retail. For digital distribution, 30% is standard. Really baffled as to why you think that Valve is somehow a publisher for the thousands of games available on Steam.

On a side note, I don't think you know how the publisher/developer relationship actually works. Publishers don't give developers all of the funding upfront. They give funding when the developers deliver milestones that fulfill predetermined criteria. This way, publishers minimize risk and developers have to rely on publishers throughout the entire project. Once the project is done, developers typically don't see any royalties until the game has sold enough to cover development costs. In most cases, developers never see another penny after development ends.

Once again, Valve is not a publisher for third-party games. They sell games on Steam, they don't publish them.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2016, 06:21.

Feb 6, 2016, 10:29
Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 6, 2016, 10:29
Feb 6, 2016, 10:29

Hardware manufacturers absolutely jumped the gun. They built hardware for software that wasn't finished yet. Valve delayed it and it's Valve's fault those hardware manufacturers still wanted to sell it? That's laughable at best. Valve doesn't sell a steambox, and they literally only link to 1 product in their own store.

Are you purposely highlighting that you have no idea what percentage developers paid to their publishers from their profits? Stamping those CD's wasn't free and that distribution network was a majority of what publishers were "funding". Publishers also do mean things like demand that you produce results. Lots of companies are very clearly more willing to pay the 30% to valve than you think (duh) than to put up with shit like that. Hence... all of greenlight and early access.

I'm glad you think you've thought this through, but nothing you are saying is actually happening in the real world. If publishing houses were still in demand in the way they used to be... well... now it's far easier to just collect some free EA or kickstarter money up front than it is to deal with deadlines and contracts.

You can attempt to belittle what Valve provides for that 30% but... that's your opinion but I (and a majority of game developers today) don't share it.

It seems like you only care that Valve doesn't provide up-front funding (and then subsequently demand products be released on Valve's schedule, not the developers). How would that be a better situation for the game developers? Those publishing houses didn't provide any up-front money they didn't fully expect to recoup with their cut of the sales. In the end the money ends up in the same hands in both situations.

Feb 5, 2016, 19:02
Slick

Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 19:02
Feb 5, 2016, 19:02
 Slick

descender wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 10:31:
stuff

First, hardware manufacturers didn't "jump the gun" racing to get Steamboxes out into the wild. You make it sounds like they were operating completely independently of valve, like it's the wild west. As if Valve had no say in corralling these companies to make hardware for them with an explicit launch date. Then Valve pushed it back so there was a lot of pissed off hardware partners with 2013-era hardware that was made for a launch of this produce which never happened. yea, i'd call that a debacle.

Alright, Valve's steamworks stuff isn't nothing. It's a pretty polished post-launch framework for keeping people connected. BUT. This is NOT equal to fucking bankrolling development. That's traditionally the role of the publisher. But In Valve land, they don't even look at a studio till they have a complete finished product that's ready to sell (well, ready to sell at least), and they have nothing to do with them until then.

They're the venture capitalists ready to swoop in on small developers who have put their heart and soul into something with no help from anybody, telling them "YOU NEED US", and then taking a huge chunk of the profit. %30 of gross is crazy for putting nothing into the game. Look into publisher contracts with other publishers, they usually have the clause "and then we give you $7,500,000 upfront to build the game".

Apples and Oranges.

Feb 5, 2016, 16:33
Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 16:33
Feb 5, 2016, 16:33

Rhialto wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 10:18:
If they want better sales they should, and they know this! But why they think limiting distribution to their platform is better is a mystery.

Not really.

The amount of sales lost due to it being Origin exclusive clearly outweigh not having to fork over 30% of their revenue to Valve. Otherwise EA wouldn't keep sticking with Origin.

In the end, I have games on my desktop, and when I double click them, some of them open Steam, and others open Origin. It's really 6 of one, half a dozen of the other to me, but of course to each their own.

On topic: I very much enjoyed the first one, but I have to say that the 'combat' in this one (Ie, the crappy first person martial arts they've put in) looks very off to me.

Feb 5, 2016, 10:32
nin

Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 10:32
Feb 5, 2016, 10:32
 nin

nin wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 20:54:
Rhialto wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 20:48:
Anyone else frustrated it won't be on Steam?
Nothing new there...
First was and is still on Steam so...

Outside of The Sims, most recent EA games aren't. That's why steam has 2/3rds of Mass Effect and Crysis. No Titanfall, no Battlefront (most recent), no NFS (since 2010), etc.

Having the previous game doesn't really mean anything. Once they got origin in some sort of shape, they drew a line in the sand.

Feb 5, 2016, 10:31
Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 10:31
Feb 5, 2016, 10:31

SteamOS porting over 1000 games to linux is a "debacle" now? Just because you don't understand or have a use for something doesn't make it a pointless endeavour. They haven't "sunk any money" into building a "home theater PC", they invested in building a piece of software. SteamOS. Other stupid companies jumped the shark too early and tried to sell cheap SteamBox's before the software is really ready. I saw those "MS garden" comments as just an excuse to start a project that they were probably already planning on doing.

Now... Valve contributes "nothing" to the games that they host on Steam?

Rolleyes Come on that's not even...

The entire Steam ecosystem is available to their hosted developers from sales and content delivery to Steamworks integrated multiplayer and community organization... that shit isn't free. I'm sorry you don't think that's worth a 30% cut but Valve is a business not some video game charity organization that exists to provide you with unlimited access to your games.

I'm all for choice, but you have to understand what is given up the more games fracture into smaller distribution networks. Steam exploded the PC gaming market, not the other way around. A lot of the infrastructure that Valve provides for small to medium sized development houses is essential for bringing certain games to market and keeping development costs down. It's also important for maintaining player-bases for multiplayer games that would die off long before their due without the exposure to millions of faces. You can't have it both ways. You deal with the centralized single ecosystem style environment that Steam (and Origin/Battlenet/etc to lesser extents) provides and all the things you hate about that, or PC games become are more expensive to produce and distribute again because they have to use (and develop, and host) their own multiplayer services and chat systems etc for every single little game.

People "cheer for Valve" because they are providing an incredible service to a "kids industry" that has never been taken seriously before the past decade. Are they perfect? No, and they don't have to be. In the end their goal is no different than the other services you want to champion as the "bastions of hope". They all want to take their cut of your money. For now at least, the convenience Steam provides far outweighs the bad.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2016, 10:37.

Feb 5, 2016, 10:27
Slick

Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 10:27
Feb 5, 2016, 10:27
 Slick

Nothing new there...

If they want better sales they should, and they know this! But why they think limiting distribution to their platform is better is a mystery. Every president will tell you that where there is money you should go... or something like that.

Swing and a miss.

It's so weird that BurgerKing doesn't let McDonalds sell the Whopper in McDonalds stores. I mean, it's not like they have the right to sell their own product in their own store, that's segmenting the market, and hurts consumers. And shit, I bet they'd much prefer to handover %30 (gross, not profit) to their competitor rather than make more money themselves, pay their employees better etc, pump R&D money into inventing the sextuple-decker burger...

Riiight, they're not friends, they're direct competitors.

You know that competition is a good thing right? It's the cornerstone of a healthy capitalist system. In fact when there's no competition, it's not just frowned upon, monopoly is a federal crime.

Feb 5, 2016, 10:18
Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 10:18
Feb 5, 2016, 10:18

Nothing new there...

If they want better sales they should, and they know this! But why they think limiting distribution to their platform is better is a mystery. Every president will tell you that where there is money you should go... or something like that.

Feb 5, 2016, 09:56
Slick

Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 09:56
Feb 5, 2016, 09:56
 Slick

DangerDog wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 02:33:
So you're argument is that it would be a horrible consumer experience if there was a lack of choice as to where you buy games unless that one place is Steam? Valve freaked out about MS creating their built in app store under the fear that it would divert people away from Steam.

Thank you!

"We're gamers, fuck you corporations for giving us lack of choice! Oh me? I just want one company to rule them all so we have no choice."

Valve shit the bed when the ominous impending wrath of Windows 8's integrated store was announced. This brought to you by the fine people who made the "Games for Windows" marketplace such a roaring success.

Think about how much money Gabe has sunk into the SteamBox debacle, an overreaction of biblical proportions. How dare developers self-publish and not tithe %30 of GROSS to the Church of "we don't make games anymore" Valve? And people are still somehow crusading for this noble multi-billion dollar would-be monopoly.

And people call ME a shill...

And remember folks, Steam was born through a 4-year protracted lawsuit against Valve's then-publisher Vivendi for the RIGHT to self-publish, and not give a 3rd party a huge chunk of the earnings. But let me not be too harsh on the 3rd-world raping Vivendi corp, at least when they act as a publisher for a studio, they fucking BANKROLL the project! Valve contributes exactly NOTHING to the 100,000 games that they take a %30 cut from. And dingbat consumers who think that this is "choice" let them get away with it. Oh well, I hope all your dollars going to invent the linux home theatre PC was worth it.

Feb 5, 2016, 09:42
Slick

Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 09:42
Feb 5, 2016, 09:42
 Slick

NamecaF wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 23:35:
DangerDog wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 23:19:

No, get over it. There's nothing wrong with companies wanting to do their own digital delivery systems and not profit share with Valve.

Well, I'd argue there is an issue with fragmenting the market and with every man and his dog making their own clients with "exclusives" where does it stop?

Companies just dont learn from history, do they? Whether it's PC and Mac. Beta and VHS. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. There's always going to be a loser and the people that suffer the most are the poor saps that chose the wrong side.

I really think publishers and developers shouldn't be creating these digital services. There should instead be an independent third party that creates one and make it standard.

Personally I'd prefer if these clients were all optional and not tied in with DRM or bullshit exclusives. But the corporations are too greedy to give customers freedom of choice and you mooks are happy to go along with it, so I guess I'm shit out of luck.

Wow.

couple things off the top of my head...

Look how "segmented" all of the different ACTUAL stores there are in the world. You know, those tens of thousands of different companies you actually have to pick your ass out of your seat and physically GO TO? How much of your life is ruined by having to not even mouse-click a few more times, but mouse-click the SAME number of times just on a different icon. Is the utter rape of 200MB of space on your 4TB harddrive making you feel like this is the end times?

Having more than 1 company in an industry is first, what makes it an industry. And second, this has been completely normal "business-as-usual" (pardon the pun) in every single other facet of our life for literally thousands of years. McDonalds V. BurgerKing isn't a format war. And no we wouldn't be better with just one centralized megacorp who controls everything.

I don't know weather to call you a crazy communist, or a crazy capitalist, or what. I think I'll just call you Hitler and call it a day.

"But the corporations are too greedy to give customers freedom of choice"-Hitler

But the solution is just one megastore that sells everything. Irony abounds.

Feb 5, 2016, 08:38
Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 08:38
Feb 5, 2016, 08:38

the graphics of this game are looking too good... i'm expecting a visual downgrade by the time the closed beta is made available.

Feb 5, 2016, 07:00
Slick

Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 07:00
Feb 5, 2016, 07:00
 Slick

Cutter wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 20:41:
The future will be considerably more dystopian thanks to corps like EA. This shiny happy future will never come to pass.

Oh yeah, I mean we all know it.

It's not going to be the religious fundamentalists, the runaway military industrial complex, the corrupt politicians, the 3rd world warlords, North Korea, the World Bank, climate change or the deadly resistant superbugs...

The end of the world will be brought about by a group of artists that make games.

IT HAS BEEN WRITTEN.

Feb 5, 2016, 06:17
Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 06:17
Feb 5, 2016, 06:17

Wait, what? Well, that sucks. :/
Guess I'm not going to play it then.

Feb 5, 2016, 05:34
Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 05:34
Feb 5, 2016, 05:34

NamecaF wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 03:46:

Basically, imagine Steam with no ties to Valve and no inbuilt DRM? Stop trolling.

That platform exists in the form of Good Old Games. Now you just have to convince everyone to buy their games from GOG exclusively.

The real threat isn't from Origin, Ubisoft or Steam DRM it's the extra layer of DRM that publishers are pushing such as Denuvo a form of anti-tamper technology. Lately I've been playing older games and many of them require tweaks to files and settings to work on modern OS - with this new form of DRM you'll be shit out of luck in doing that in the future.

Feb 5, 2016, 05:24
Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 05:24
Feb 5, 2016, 05:24

Jerykk wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 04:15:
DangerDog wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 02:33:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 5, 2016, 00:36:
DangerDog wrote on Feb 4, 2016, 23:19:

No, get over it. There's nothing wrong with companies wanting to do their own digital delivery systems and not profit share with Valve.

That's not quite true. There's something to be said for customer consideration and there's definitely very little of that when you only sell your games on Origin. Steam is the defacto distribution platform on PC and the vast majority of PC gamers use it. Not only that but they enjoy using it. As such, it makes perfect sense to support it (which is why every single publisher does except EA). It's simply good for customers. It's also good for business, as your game will receive more exposure and more sales (which is why Ubisoft still sells their games on Steam, even though they have their own digital distribution platform). It's a win-win situation.

Imagine if every company only sold its products exclusively through its own storefront. Supermarkets, convenience stores, book stores, Amazon... all would cease to exit. Want to buy a box of Cheerios? Sorry, you have to go to your nearest General Mills store. Want some Colgate toothpaste? Check your local Colgate store. Want a new Nvidia videocard? Gotta buy direct from Nvidia. Shopping would be a very inconvenient and irritating process. That's why people don't like Origin.

EA doesn't exclusively sell their games through Origin, you can buy them from other e-tailers. I buy EA games from GreenManGaming mostly.

So you're argument is that it would be a horrible consumer experience if there was a lack of choice as to where you buy games unless that one place is Steam? Valve freaked out about MS creating their built in app store under the fear that it would divert people away from Steam.

If anything multiple digital distribution platforms should be praised so someone like MS doesn't have that kind of power and Valve shouldn't have that kind of power either.

People don't like Origin because it's EA and they want to use a system that's easy for them to do one stop shopping with. If those people held the same attitude about the MS store and refused to use any other platform think of what a disaster that would be.

People like having all their games accessible from one place. For most people, that place is Steam. Yes, you can buy Origin games from other resellers but then those games won't be in your Steam library.

As for Valve vs MS, the key difference is that MS has a history of terrible products and services. GFWL was an utter debacle. From what I've read, the Windows Store is just as bad. MS also loves to slap on arbitrary exclusivity in order to push their latest OS. I'm pretty sure DX12 would work just fine on Vista/7/8 but nope, exclusive to 10. Fable Legends? 10 exclusive. Killer Instinct? 10 exclusive. Gears of War: Ultimate Edition? 10 exclusive. Gigantic? 10 exclusive. Any game MS is going to publish within then next 5 years? 10 exclusive and only available on the Windows Store.

A digital distribution platform should only be praised if it offers value to customers. Steam does that. The other platforms do not. People like Steam. When given the choice between Steam and DRM-free GOG, most people choose Steam. When given the choice between Steam, Windows Store, Origin or Uplay, people choose Steam. If Valve really does have a "monopoly" on the market, it's only because people prefer their service over the alternatives.

Some of that value that Steam offers is due to competition in the form of sales and whatnot. I completely understand the popularity of Steam and the desire to use it as the singular PC gaming portal but people need to realize that being myopic has its negative aspects as well.

To me a digital distribution platform should do one thing, deliver purchased content in a timely manner.

The DX12 issue is a whole other can of worms, eventually any PC gamer that wants to get newer games is going to have to cross that bridge - or not.

Feb 5, 2016, 04:34
Re: Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Closed Beta Signups Feb 5, 2016, 04:34
Feb 5, 2016, 04:34

The Frostbite engine does a wonderful job as far as graphics are concerned. However looking at this trailer, I can't help but think of the Battlefield single-player modes, and that is not a good memory.
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older